Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

Lol jesus. I remember I tried being a smartass during grade school science and said 'ovals actually' when the teacher said circular orbits and he was just 'well... yeah actually you're right' and then moved on.

Kind of ties back to what I was saying earlier about there being a lot of shitbag teachers out there. That teacher probably cares more about their little fiefdom than anything else.

I hate to say it, everybody says it, but a lot of their problem is the state tests. At the beginning of the year they say, "We don't teach to the state tests!" but it is a lie. As soon as they return to school in January all they do is teach to that test, taking practice tests over and over, for two months. In English class that 3rd quarter of the year, they had exactly two items that determined their entire grade for that grading period: 2 different 6-word word search puzzles. That is all they did in 9 weeks for grades. The rest was PARCC test practice.

They really earned their "D" for effectiveness from the state of Ohio.

No state tests in the private school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Yeah that poo poo is pretty ridiculous and needs to end already. I feel like College Board et al have their hooks in their deep now though and good luck reversing that.

We did the yearly state standardized tests too but we were always told to just do our best and aside from the 2 weeks a year or so set aside to actually do the test we didn't learn to take the test or anything. Seems kinda self defeating honestly - school starts losing funding, decides it needs to do better on tests, neglects actual curriculum in favor of test taking stuff, which leads to lower test scores because kids don't know as much of the actual material, and so on until you are learning to take tests 2 months out of the year.

Sometimes I think Carlin was right that people in power have no interest in really having a good broad education system anyway though. I mean I know he's a comedian but still.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

Roylicious posted:

I'll tell you what's wrong with schools. It's too easy to become a teacher and it pays for poo poo.

Therefore, with the exception of people who genuinely want to teach kids which let's be honest is not that many, people who are intelligent will seek other higher paying jobs. Why would someone who could potentially make $150k practicing law go teach and struggle to buy their own classroom teaching tools? At the same time, it attracts people who kind of meander through college not really knowing what to do until they land on teaching because hey why not.

I had maybe 3-4 teachers I would say were actually GOOD. 3-4 that were just downright awful. The rest were just... whatever. So-so. I was in honors/AP classes too; the regular ("dumb") classes had an even worse offering. Frankly it takes just one awful teacher inflicted on a sensitive kid at a young age to screw that kid for the rest of their academic career.

Look again, that isn't to say there aren't great teachers who do genuinely care. Of course there are. But let's not pretend like the job is attractive to anyone who would actually be well qualified to do it. There's tons of pedophile barely made it through college shitbag teachers out there.

If people can afford to pay $30k a year per kid to go to private school then we as a society can afford to pay teachers better. It's absurd that we can fund $130m planes that catch on fire on the runway because it was windy but my teachers couldn't afford to buy classroom materials and didn't even get COLA raises they were contractually entitled to because budget.

lucky I manged to get the worst my admittedly small town had to offer, one even convinced the principle I needed to get psychological counseling. I had one good teacher before high school.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I guess it kinda depends on your area OP. I went to a merit-based private school and as such, the tuition was about as much as paying for lunch at public school every day.

And holy poo poo the public schools in my district entire state. So loving bad. My middle school had history textbooks from the 1950s and they spent more on security guards than they did on keeping their books up-to-date. There are almost no good public schools in Hawaii because the rich families that move here are so rich that they just send their kids to Punahou or some other $50k/yr academy, so there isn't even any bribing of public officials to make at least one public school district not suck.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
There are really few feelings better than knowing I make a lot more money than all the lovely teachers who told me I would never amount to anything.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Boof Bonser posted:

There are really few feelings better than knowing I make a lot more money than all the lovely teachers who told me I would never amount to anything.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Send your kids to public school but get them in the honors classes and GT/GATE/whatever they call your gifted programs and they will get a good education and you will save money.

They not only have the better teachers but they have the better environments, because unlike normal classes the students in these classes actually give a poo poo or are forced by their parents to give a poo poo and the classes dont get disrupted or slowed down because they can just dump the bad ones back into the normal classes and move on

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

I grew up in an area where the public schools were considered pretty good, so the only kids who didn't go to public school were the ones from really religious families. The only non-religious private school in the area was barely better than the top public school and it was really expensive.

Dunno about charter schools, apparently they're the best option in really poor areas though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

the vast majority of private schools are homeschool groups and dominionist madrassas run out of baptist church annexes of course the kids in them perform poorly they'd learn more watching nickelodeon all day

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

The White Dragon posted:

I guess it kinda depends on your area OP. I went to a merit-based private school and as such, the tuition was about as much as paying for lunch at public school every day.

And holy poo poo the public schools in my district entire state. So loving bad. My middle school had history textbooks from the 1950s and they spent more on security guards than they did on keeping their books up-to-date. There are almost no good public schools in Hawaii because the rich families that move here are so rich that they just send their kids to Punahou or some other $50k/yr academy, so there isn't even any bribing of public officials to make at least one public school district not suck.

I grew up on Oahu too and went to like 3 different school districts and the GT programs were always excellent and interesting and ridiculously well funded and way better than the same i got later in similar programs on the mainland. I didnt realize until i was an adult that Hawaii public schools are actually terrible overall. Maybe they just dump a lot of their money toward accelerated programs and leave everyone else behind

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
In a country of hundreds of millions with schools funded differently by state, county and municipality there are bound to be varying returns on both public and private schools. It's too big a problem to make generalizations about on a national scale because the problems faced by both institutions vary. Kids that are in terrible public schools deserve another option, and kids in terrible private or charter schools have the option of going public at least. Having the option of private or charter schools is probably better than just having the public system by itself.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Tonight on Lib Arts vs STEMs, the great debate! Which school is better for you????

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

whoflungpoop posted:

Maybe they just dump a lot of their money toward accelerated programs and leave everyone else behind

Depends on your region. Maui is soooooooo fuckin' bad. My friend got more or less a full ride at UH because he aced all his classes... because his school didn't offer advanced classes of any sort. We both studied Japanese and I once asked him if he understood <grammatical concept> 'cause I sure as gently caress didn't and he was like "I dunno we just watch VHSes of Crayon Shinchan" :downs:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I read The Indian In The Cupboard five loving times in a row because my third grade teacher said there was no way I could have finished it that quickly and no I couldn't go get another book until Officially Designated Library Time next week

Also read aloud time was great if you liked sitting in a circle listening to your lovely classmates struggle to sound out words letter by letter

Even better was fluff senior "how to give a PowerPoint presentation" class where an 18 year old legal adult had just as much trouble reading words on a slide he himself put together, he's a cop now

Basically, throw all the dumb kids in the dumpster early on and public schools will be good again

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Wife went to private school and her parents were always reminding her of the financial sacrifice they were making to send her there.
Also they couldn't afford to travel as a family (other than renting a cabin or something) and both her mom and dad were always stressed about money.

So now she wants to send our kids to private school and I'm like okay but if it means our kids will never travel anywhere interesting or get to do cool activities or sports or whatever then it's not worth it.

Also if it means we're always freaking out about money then no loving way.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Turns out that schools that get to cherry-pick their students do better than schools that have to take everybody. Who knew?

this unironically

there is no loving reason why A+ students should be stuck in class with idiots who'll slow them down

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
rich kids can afford more accurate guns

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Those students who win the charter school lotteries imposed by school boards whose members' campaign donations come exclusively from teachers' unions sure are "cherry-picked."

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I went to public school my whole life and then for the last part of high school my parents sent me to one of those 30k a year (was 20k when I was there) ivy feeder private schools and my teachers there were no joke the best I've ever had. They were better than my subsequent college professors and many held PhDs. Holy poo poo though my classmates were mostly cool but also insanely well off and many of them still haven't really worked a day in their lives, 15+ years later.

I went to the state uni thoigh. And took a bunch of time off to work before finishing.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Roylicious posted:

Unless they made radical changes in the last 8 years and/or got rid of honors/AP stuff then it's pretty much the exact opposite actually. All the smart kids get their own classes and the "dumb" kids (why does everyone need to be on a college track?) get relegated to poo poo tier classes where teachers let you out of class as long as you bring them a burrito.

symbolic posted:

I graduated in 2015 and they still did that at my high school. The dumb kids would take GP, normal kids CP, the smarter kids Honors, and the smartest kids AP. That's just how it was.

I'm talking about elementary school where that kind of thing actually matters because your brain is significantly developing during that time

Any moron can take an AP course in high school and skate through for a C and get that sweet 4.0. AP courses are a loving joke

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
What are expensive private schools teaching that my (hypothetical) kids wouldn't just be able to learn in a public school and/or look up their smartphone?

Back in the day where a teacher was correct for saying "You won't always have a calculator/book in front of you" then I can see how your money could buy an objectively better education, but my friends kid in public school is like 11 and she knows how to cross-reference all kinds of sources and find information on her computer as well as/better than her mom. Plus she has the benefit of being exposed to a really diverse socioeconomic background of kids which is crazy valuable, imho.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
we keep hiring underpaid teach for america grads who have no actual classroom experience and they all bounce out before getting the hang of managing a classroom, why are our test scores so low?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Boof Bonser posted:

[citation needed]

http://www.law.umn.edu/sites/law.umn.edu/files/newsfiles/8a690b58/Chicago-Charters-FINAL.pdf

Boof Bonser posted:

teacher-training-industrial complex must be fed)!

lol

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

The UMN study you link to shows that in Chicago only there is, by their method, a slight underperformance among charters as a whole within that city. This is hardly support for the assertion that "In reality, maybe 1/5 charter schools are equal to public schools and the rest are loving trash." If you want to trade local studies here's one showing that charters in Mass. are actually doing quite well. But to look at "how charter schools overall perform," to the extent you can reliably do that, misses the point quite badly. The point of charter schools is that they are able to operate with more room to innovate. This has led to a pretty broad mix of approaches and a pretty broad mix of outcomes. Some of them consistently do really, really, really well. Some of them are dreadful and should be shut down. We should be replicating the methods that have been proven successful at the top charters instead of arguing over whether charters are good or bad; some charters are good, and some are bad, but the advantage they offer is that they allow a variety of approaches to be tried from which best practices can be gleaned. The only real opposition to them comes from the teachers' unions who are just pissed off that schools are allowed to hire non-union teachers instead of being forced into their CBAs.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the OP must hate cocaine if he thinks private schools full of bored rich kids are bad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tumble posted:

What are expensive private schools teaching that my (hypothetical) kids wouldn't just be able to learn in a public school and/or look up their smartphone?

My brother and I went to a Catholic grade school which mostly fed into Catholic high schools with really high standards and it wasn't a matter of secret knowledge, but rather they pushed us harder and we were generally a couple of years ahead of the public school kids. Since those private high schools cost megabucks and our city had a decent public high school we went there and spent most of the time cruising effortlessly with high marks because a large chunk of it was basically a review of things we had already done. It wasn't until upper-level honors/AP science and math classes that things picked up a bit.

Spending four years letting your academic study skills atrophy doesn't do you any favors when you get to college though.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The private academy i'm teaching at rn is mostly full of chinese and brazillian kids trying to get into american colleges. Also apparently has a good athletics program. I think most crazy academies are more magnets for rich foreigners over privileged bored white kids.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Tumble posted:

Back in the day where a teacher was correct for saying "You won't always have a calculator/book in front of you" then I can see how your money could buy an objectively better education, but my friends kid in public school is like 11 and she knows how to cross-reference all kinds of sources and find information on her computer as well as/better than her mom. Plus she has the benefit of being exposed to a really diverse socioeconomic background of kids which is crazy valuable, imho.

How about the curricula that often aren't thoroughly covered because of factors outside of your kids control? Who wants their kid attending a school where union teachers are striking or unmotivated students are slowing the pace for the rest of the class? You mentioned a benefit in exposure to diversity though, what do you believe that benefit is?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

hampton posted:

How about the curricula that often aren't thoroughly covered because of factors outside of your kids control? Who wants their kid attending a school where union teachers are striking or unmotivated students are slowing the pace for the rest of the class? You mentioned a benefit in exposure to diversity though, what do you believe that benefit is?

its called learning to be part of society.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

cocaine, why it's great, how to get your hands on it, what the hot girls will do when on it vs. their regular personalities, you know that kind of thing

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My Catholic school education was probably the best quality I received until college. I went to one fairly affluent public school in Massachusetts for a year and it was alright, but while it had money and resources, I can't really say it was a better quality of schooling.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Boof Bonser posted:

The UMN study you link to shows that in Chicago only there is, by their method, a slight underperformance among charters as a whole within that city. This is hardly support for the assertion that "In reality, maybe 1/5 charter schools are equal to public schools and the rest are loving trash." If you want to trade local studies here's one showing that charters in Mass. are actually doing quite well. But to look at "how charter schools overall perform," to the extent you can reliably do that, misses the point quite badly. The point of charter schools is that they are able to operate with more room to innovate. This has led to a pretty broad mix of approaches and a pretty broad mix of outcomes. Some of them consistently do really, really, really well. Some of them are dreadful and should be shut down. We should be replicating the methods that have been proven successful at the top charters instead of arguing over whether charters are good or bad; some charters are good, and some are bad, but the advantage they offer is that they allow a variety of approaches to be tried from which best practices can be gleaned. The only real opposition to them comes from the teachers' unions who are just pissed off that schools are allowed to hire non-union teachers instead of being forced into their CBAs.

Charter schools are unionizing across the country as most teachers don't like being treated like contract workers. Charter schools' performance data will forever be corrupted as they are able to expel students who then go back to public schools.

from the study also if you bothered to read it

quote:

The primary methodological issue affecting charter studies stems from the fact that charter students are self-selected, creating what is usually called “selection bias.” The way that parents and students select charters virtually guarantees that, as a group, charter students have greater parental concern for and participation in their education than do students in traditional, assigned schools. By definition, charter parents cared enough to go to the trouble of enrolling their kids in a school other than one assigned to them by the school district. While many parents of kids in traditional schools care and participate just as much, you can't say that they have all demonstrated the same level of concern. This matters because active participation by parents in their child’s education is an important contributing factor to student achievement.

What this means is that we should expect student achievement to be greater, all else equal, in charter schools, even if charters do no better at educating kids.

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 28, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Living in a liberal white town owns because the charter/private schools have like a 30% vaccination rate. It's good to know that your neighbors can afford 30k a year for primary education while still being a bunch of window-lickers.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i wish i went to a waldorf school for secondary education

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think it prolly depends on where you live op, I went to public schools but my high school was known for having some of the best scores on the state standardized tests and I also had access to good honors/ap classes or a separate program that let you take community college courses to double up on your highschool credits and get you started on your AA/we. I went with the latter and ended up getting calc and such out of the way before college so I got to start off in junior/senior level stuff and at the same time dicked around getting a minor completely unrelated to my stem degree cause I still wanted to spend 4 years at college.

At the end of the day I'd say having a leg up and advanced placements and such wasn't a bad thing but it honestly wasn't necessary either, if you're smart enough to skip a year you're smart enough to get your tuition paid for either way so you might as well spend the 4 years to develop your social skills and maybe network a bit, no one is gonna care about your academics past like your first position or so. Really the only reason to super stress that kinda stuff is if you're the top of the top and are planning to hit the best unis in the US and go to grad school, if you're not that high up or from an exceptionally wealthy family the only reason to do that kind of stuff is if your public schools just absolutely blow in your area.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

No Such Thing posted:

I think most crazy academies are more magnets for rich foreigners over privileged bored white kids.

a whole swath of private schools were built in america in the mid-late 50s for obvious reasons

funnily enough they were most commonly called academies

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

hampton posted:

Who wants their kid attending a school where union teachers are striking

that's why you move to a state where public employees are legally barred from collective bargaining

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

schmitty9800 posted:

Charter schools are unionizing across the country as most teachers don't like being treated like contract workers. Charter schools' performance data will forever be corrupted as they are able to expel students who then go back to public schools.

from the study also if you bothered to read it

FWIW when I was still teaching most of the people I knew ended up in charters because you can make a lot more money if you're willing to give up job security. Some of the top charters in NYC started you at like $125,000 and this was in 2007 or so so I'm betting that's gone up since. Being treated like a contract worker kicks rear end if you're good and don't want to make $45,000. I thought about going that route but then went to law school instead because I don't actually care about teaching enough to do it for 30 more years.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Boof Bonser posted:

FWIW when I was still teaching most of the people I knew ended up in charters because you can make a lot more money if you're willing to give up job security. Some of the top charters in NYC started you at like $125,000 and this was in 2007 or so so I'm betting that's gone up since. Being treated like a contract worker kicks rear end if you're good and don't want to make $45,000. I thought about going that route but then went to law school instead because I don't actually care about teaching enough to do it for 30 more years.

Yeah, it's nothing like that kind of pay in Chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

I hate yankees posted:

Any moron can take an AP course in high school and skate through for a C and get that sweet 4.0. AP courses are a loving joke

You know how I know you were in the dumb classes? Cuz a C is only a 3.0 :eng101:

AP Stats was easy but that was the calculator more than anything.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread