Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to think a lot of people itt hate cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
that doesn't make any goddamned sense to me

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

schmitty9800 posted:

Charter schools are unionizing across the country as most teachers don't like being treated like contract workers. Charter schools' performance data will forever be corrupted as they are able to expel students who then go back to public schools.

from the study also if you bothered to read it

Charter schools are as much of a dice roll as public schools for both students and employees. Possibly moreso because a charter could open up and operate for at least a year or two before it shuts down when its students all fail.

We had one in our district that offered an "alternative learning environment" for students that couldn't cut it academically and therefore weren't qualifying to play for their home school's football teams; somehow they were able to go back to their home school and play football while earning As and Bs from the charter. Their poo poo was shut down fast when they miserably failed the state standardized testing that year.

Basically you need to become a consumer of education early nowadays, and that's not the most welcome shift.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

No state has more charter schools than Michigan. Most of these schools are managed by for-profit management firms, and literally anyone regardless of educational background can get approval from the state and start one up. The most notorious management company that you've never heard of is Smart Schools Management, owned by an optometrist who hawks vision therapy as a cure for ADHD and ASD. His name is Steven Ingersoll.

Steve Ingersoll has been opening charter schools in Michigan since the 1990s when he opened the first school in Brighton, Michigan. That school is now closed, but that's because he moved north to Traverse City, Michigan and opened Grand Traverse Academy. This school has been much more successful, yet even now it's almost two million in debt.

Why? What happened? Steven Ingersoll happened. Ingersoll liked to play all kinds of games with the finances, like "prepay" himself from state revenue for the school. He did this for years, so that by the time the school noticed $3.5 million was missing, Ingersoll had tried to open more schools in Bay City, Michigan, along with a number of derelict properties to convert into a new neighborhood. Except for a new house for himself, and a bed and breakfast for his wife to operate, most of the homes and business properties remained empty and unused. One burned down in what the Bay City Fire Department ruled, 'suspicious'.

Ingersoll, being the great businessman and philanthropist, needed money to renovate an old, asbestos-ridden church into a school, so went to Chemical Bank and secured a line of credit for $1.8 million dollars. What happened next is incredible, because nearly a million of that money went through a series of check disbursements and payments between Ingersoll, Ingersoll's wife, his brother, his building contractor and wife to make that money disappear from the building loan into his personal bank account. Cue the feds.

It took the federal circuit court a matter of a few months to convict Ingersoll. His sentencing hearing has been ongoing since October of 2015 with a final decision set for December 15, 2016.

What about the vision therapy? Check the vision coverage your employer provides and in the list of things your insurance won't pay for you will see vision therapy. Ingersoll's vision therapy is called Integrated Visual Learning. His business partner, Mark Noss, who now manages the charter school since Ingersoll's conviction runs Excel Institute where they talk the parents of their charter school students into paying for vision therapy that their children 'desperately' needs if they are to do well in school.

Icon Learning and Icon Curriculum Mapping are also businesses of Ingersoll's that use his vision therapy.

The only place in Michigan to read about all of the dirty financial tricks Ingersoll has been up to is one blog. The local papers really don't consider this much of a newsworthy story. If there's a scandal happening at the nearby public school, it's front page news.

Michigan has deep pockets operating in the state pushing charter schools to open and close at a dizzying rate. The intention of these deep pockets like the DeVos crime family is to close down the public school system and privatize education in the state. There is no cap on how many charter schools may open in Michigan, and the public school system is feeling the pinch. Michigan has proven that charter schools are cancer.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 28, 2016

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
It was almost Christmas time, there I stood in another line
Tryin' to buy that last gift or two, not really in the Christmas mood
Standing right in front of me was a little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing 'round like little boys do
And in his hands he held a pair of shoes

His clothes were worn and old, he was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight

He counted pennies for what seemed like years
Then the cashier said, "Son, there's not enough here"
He searched his pockets frantically
Then he turned and he looked at me
He said Mama made Christmas good at our house
Though most years she just did without
Tell me Sir, what am I going to do,
Somehow I've got to buy her these Christmas shoes

So I laid the money down, I just had to help him out
I'll never forget the look on his face when he said
Mama's gonna look so great

I knew I'd caught a glimpse of heaven's love
As he thanked me and ran out
I knew that God had sent that little boy
To remind me just what Christmas is all about

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Roylicious posted:

You know how I know you were in the dumb classes? Cuz a C is only a 3.0 :eng101:

AP Stats was easy but that was the calculator more than anything.

My school did things so that in AP classes got a straight up +1.0. A was 5.0, a B was 4.5, and a C was 4.0.

So yeah, you could totally skate through with a 4.0 as a C student at my school.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

hampton posted:

...Who wants their kid attending a school where union teachers are striking ...
This point is really funny to me, because it implies teachers striking is like a bi-weekly occurrence, rather than a thing that might happen once in a given decade, but probably won't. There's around 12,000 school districts in the US, and there were 14 strikes last year, which was a high mark of striking in the past 5 years. For districts like Chicago, it was because, among a long list of other things, they were teaching in buildings falling apart, heavily damaged, or that had huge growths of mold in them, or that didn't have adequate heat in the winter.

hampton posted:

You mentioned a benefit in exposure to diversity though, what do you believe that benefit is?
Things like

"How Racially Diverse Schools and Classrooms Can Benefit All Students" posted:

researchers have documented that students’ exposure to other students who are different from themselves and the novel ideas and challenges that such exposure brings leads to improved cognitive skills, including critical thinking and problem solving.
Basically, encountering people with different views, experiences, and culture forces students to think more, which increases their cognitive skills in general. It leads to engaging classroom conversations, and also lets kids experience differences first hand, decreasing implicit biases and stereotyping, increasing empathy, and more. This also better prepares them for society and business. This isn't just K-12, either--research has found these benefits occur at the college level as well. Things like desegregation helped all students, and as schools have re-segregated in the past few decades, all students have lost out (though poor, minority students have had it the worst).

--------

Another few things I want to add to the discussion:
1) Your personal experience in school should not be used to justify national policy. There's a bajillion schools out there, each with tons of teachers. Some of them suck. Some of them kick rear end. N=1 is not a good student sample size.
2) The problems with education are numerous, difficult, and heavily tied to societal problems (like racism and poverty). "gently caress all the stupid poor kids, let them fail and fall behind" is not a solution, even if your kid is smart and gets bored in class sometimes. Most of the big behavior problems in schools have gone through poo poo you wouldn't believe.
3) Standardized tests are the loving worst. They have huge problems I can go into if people want, but they're absolutely toxic to public education right now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hampton posted:

How about the curricula that often aren't thoroughly covered because of factors outside of your kids control? Who wants their kid attending a school where union teachers are striking or unmotivated students are slowing the pace for the rest of the class? You mentioned a benefit in exposure to diversity though, what do you believe that benefit is?

This is a weird mentality to take, given that 2 of your main points are that the students are introduced to new concepts and experiences which are somehow a reason to discredit the system. What "curricula" are you referring to and why is that a big deal?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GORDON posted:

As someone currently waiting in line to pick my kid up from an expensive private school, I'm amused.

Pulled him out of our local school last year. This year they got a D-grade from the state for how good they are. Public school is no place for an above-average-intelligence kid. They slow down for the slow ones.

if your kid's actually smart they'll just learn poo poo in the garage or on the computer or whatever, outside of whatever deficiency the school leaves them and also you're probably raising a dweeby little turd just fyi

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Charter schools are poo poo even when they are actually good schools with good outcomes for the students because they divert parents who give a gently caress away from the public school systems where their involvment can improve the quality of education for the students whose parents dont care by doing things like pushing for the termination of terrible teachers or staging protests against over testing, or even chaperoning for fieldtrips.

Smart kids and involved parents are the salt of the earth when it comes to school, but if the salt has become tasteless it is good for nothing.

That said, I cant really talk. We moved from Florida to Canada mostly for the school system.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Uranium Phoenix posted:

This point is really funny to me, because it implies teachers striking is like a bi-weekly occurrence, rather than a thing that might happen once in a given decade, but probably won't. There's around 12,000 school districts in the US, and there were 14 strikes last year, which was a high mark of striking in the past 5 years. For districts like Chicago, it was because, among a long list of other things, they were teaching in buildings falling apart, heavily damaged, or that had huge growths of mold in them, or that didn't have adequate heat in the winter.

Things like

Basically, encountering people with different views, experiences, and culture forces students to think more, which increases their cognitive skills in general. It leads to engaging classroom conversations, and also lets kids experience differences first hand, decreasing implicit biases and stereotyping, increasing empathy, and more. This also better prepares them for society and business. This isn't just K-12, either--research has found these benefits occur at the college level as well. Things like desegregation helped all students, and as schools have re-segregated in the past few decades, all students have lost out (though poor, minority students have had it the worst).

--------

Another few things I want to add to the discussion:
1) Your personal experience in school should not be used to justify national policy. There's a bajillion schools out there, each with tons of teachers. Some of them suck. Some of them kick rear end. N=1 is not a good student sample size.
2) The problems with education are numerous, difficult, and heavily tied to societal problems (like racism and poverty). "gently caress all the stupid poor kids, let them fail and fall behind" is not a solution, even if your kid is smart and gets bored in class sometimes. Most of the big behavior problems in schools have gone through poo poo you wouldn't believe.
3) Standardized tests are the loving worst. They have huge problems I can go into if people want, but they're absolutely toxic to public education right now.

Ask the kids in the affected districts if they think it's funny. I was making the point that while students most often have their potential held back by their unmotivated contemporaries, it can even stem from the failures of the teaching staff. Regarding the diversity issue, I don't understand what you're saying. Don't any given two individuals have different views, experiences, identity? If those are the things you imagine when you think of diversity then how do we reasonably arrive at any conclusions about what causal effects there are? How would we be able to falsify our conclusions if we define our terms so broadly? For me, when I think of diversity, I think of things which are not so vague, but at the same time not so politically correct either. Things like intellectual disability, cultural relativism, crime rates, and cross breeding come to mind for me. I'd like to better understand your perspective and find out if we have common ground here and I'd especially like to tackle the subject of implicit bias, because from what I understand it's another word for profiling. The Israeli's employ profiling to great avail, for example. Are they wrong to do so?

pentyne posted:

This is a weird mentality to take, given that 2 of your main points are that the students are introduced to new concepts and experiences which are somehow a reason to discredit the system. What "curricula" are you referring to and why is that a big deal?

I don't appreciate you disrespecting my understanding with your name calling. I've seen the scales tipped for a lot less. I'm making way more than two points here, but if those are the two you want to discuss, then we can keep the scope narrow just for you. Right now you're my student and you have the chance to learn just so long as you try harder than asking about the "big deal." Here's a start - ask yourself why the American indian boarding schools have been so successful and why the tradition continues today.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 28, 2016

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

hampton posted:

Ask the kids in the affected districts if they think it's funny. I was making the point that while students most often have their potential held back by their unmotivated contemporaries, it can even stem from the failures of the teaching staff.
The community parents and students overwhelmingly supported the Chicago strike, and the community supported of two of the Washington strikes I saw a couple years back. They knew that the teachers and union were fighting not just for salary and job protection (rights of any worker), but the resources to better educate their kids. I was mostly laughing about how you've demonized unions as some horrible thing that routinely causes missed days (which, by the way, are made up later in the year), rather than something that affects 00.11% of districts in a given year, and is used as an extreme last resort.

If you're worried about schools full of unmotivated kids, then some targets you might want to go after are standardized tests, poverty, and segregated schools (e.g. places where extremely wealth or poverty is concentrated). If you're worried about teachers failing, then you should be advocating for more resources for schools that can be used to make teaching an attractive profession. Ignoring how many schools are underfunded, lacking resources, and segregated so that the worst effects of poverty, trauma, and racism are concentrated, teachers are underpaid compared to other professions that require comparable degrees and training. Teaching has an incredibly high turn-over rate, which is bad for a profession that highly benefits from experience. ( Here's why they quit, by the way. One key thing you might notice is lack of autonomy--teachers are often not allowed to do what their training tells them is best). You also might want to target the administrations that refuse to go through the process of putting bad teachers through the "improve or get fired" process, as well as the districts and legislatures who are under-funding schools or implementing backwards policy that harms education. Or maybe you could look into why the resources, programs, and curricula to support differentiated education are not being implemented, even though research has shown how beneficial it is.

I know the narrative "it's bad teachers" (or even "its bad kids!") is a tempting, simple way to explain problems with education. However, there are far too many variables that affect education. It's a complex problem that requires a complex solution.

hampton posted:

Regarding the diversity issue, I don't understand what you're saying. Don't any given two individuals have different views, experiences, identity? If those are the things you imagine when you think of diversity then how do we reasonably arrive at any conclusions about what causal effects there are? How would we be able to falsify our conclusions if we define our terms so broadly? For me, when I think of diversity, I think of things which are not so vague, but at the same time not so politically correct either. Things like intellectual disability, cultural relativism, crime rates, and cross breeding come to mind for me. I'd like to better understand your perspective and find out if we have common ground here and I'd especially like to tackle the subject of implicit bias, because from what I understand it's another word for profiling. The Israeli's employ profiling to great avail, for example. Are they wrong to do so?
Try reading the article I linked, which goes into the topic in some depth. Here's a start, though: While not identical, the experience of a bunch of white, middle class, suburban students is similar enough that they are not going to have their ideas, experiences, and beliefs challenged as much as in a school with socioeconomic, racial, and cultural diversity. Having these things challenged is important for cognitive development (and other things) because our brains grow when our ideas are challenged and we have to think about them.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 28, 2016

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Public school varies quite a bit. If you live in a high socio-economic area your public schools is probably better than private. If you live in a low SES area, your public schools is probably poo poo compared to public.

In the first case, you are paying tuition by living in a place with high land value (likely far more expensive than private school tuition). These schools will always be top notch because the communities that run them aren't just composed of some rich folk in an otherwise destitute urban wasteland segregating their children, it's a community of people all somewhat well off coming together.

If you don't live in a good community, self segregation can only get you so far. In the end it probably causes more harm than good. If the schools in your area are bad, you need to work on your community or find a new one, not make enough dough to send your kid off to a bubble.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

talking about public school in general is just nonsense because the public school system is radically stratified

some public schools are top tier educational facilities with excellent funding, structure, community support, programs, and kids going there have excellent chances at success in college

then on the other side of the tracks you have public schools that are literally falling apart, filled with violence, underfunded, teachers quitting left and right, unstable administration, etc, etc.

the radical stratification of the education system is a symptom of class stratification and overarching class struggle

it's impossible to talk about "public school" as if it's a unified system

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Roylicious posted:

Lol jesus. I remember I tried being a smartass during grade school science and said 'ovals actually' when the teacher said circular orbits and he was just 'well... yeah actually you're right' and then moved on.

Kind of ties back to what I was saying earlier about there being a lot of shitbag teachers out there. That teacher probably cares more about their little fiefdom than anything else.

one year in high school i was taking all AP core classes and an AP elective and i was nervous that the load might be too much. I got a C on my first history test so i got scared and dropped the class and got into a regular history class. it was the first time i was in a non-advanced core class since elementary. the first day in this regular class the teacher asked a question and said to answer in complete sentences. a kid answered "because yada yada yada" and the teacher quickly corrected him and told him "you can never start a complete sentence with 'because' ". my ears perked up and i challenged her saying that you could absolutely start a sentence with "because" and gave an example. she scolded me and told me not to confuse the other kids.

i ended up hating that class and totally ignoring everything and goofing off and not giving a crap ever since that moment and it really made me dislike history until i was a university student with excellent professors.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

I'm starting to think a lot of people itt hate cocaine

I was doing some cocaine early monday morning i dont hate it but im getting more and more blasé about it.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

the radical stratification of the education system is a symptom of class stratification and overarching class struggle

it's impossible to talk about "public school" as if it's a unified system

Sorry, all 98,817 public schools in this country are exactly the same, and due to my experience in going to one, I can tell you exactly how to solve this educational "crisis"

1) Fire Mrs. Johnson, who gave me a "C" on an essay because I started too many sentences with conjunctions
2) And eliminate all the "lower" level math classes. Math was super easy for me, so shouldn't it be easy for everyone?
3) Eliminate "problem" students like Chad, who kept interrupting our unit on human systems with fart jokes, Steve, who said "I don't get it" 32 times per semester in Geometry class, and finally, Stacey, who refused to go out with me and called my hat "a stupid fedora that looks like you wrapped a belt around two rats." By the way, Stacey? It was a trilby.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Regardless of how generally good public/private schools are, if I have a child, and if I have the financial wherewithal to ensure that my child gets the best education possible, and the knowledge/research to discover the best school suited to my child, I am absolutely spending that money to guarantee that best advantage possible

If you don't do this, then you really should not have children.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Brannock posted:

Regardless of how generally good public/private schools are, if I have a child, and if I have the financial wherewithal to ensure that my child gets the best education possible, and the knowledge/research to discover the best school suited to my child, I am absolutely spending that money to guarantee that best advantage possible

If you don't do this, then you really should not have children.

Profiling your kids is so hard though especially as they grow. Some kids strengths change when they hit puberty for example or just from experiences.

100 years ago we had working children, objective slavery, so it's not hard to see them as some sort of individuals with free will, humanity, not puppets or absolute minors.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Hang on, in the U.S. isn't there a set of examinations to test students' aptitude in the subjects they're being taught? Or is it down to the individual schools to assign grades?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Plucky Brit posted:

Hang on, in the U.S. isn't there a set of examinations to test students' aptitude in the subjects they're being taught? Or is it down to the individual schools to assign grades?

Grades are assigned by individual schools. How grades are assigned is usually decided at a district level.
Each state also has a set of standardized tests they require at set grades for set subjects. The standardized tests have to fulfill certain criteria (they're based on state standards, which right now is mostly the Common Core State Standards), but the tests are not the same in each state. Some districts like to give a bunch of extra standardized tests as well.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
... That kind of system seems very open to abuse.

How do Universities sift applicants? They can't base it off GPA when the standards vary so much.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Plucky Brit posted:

... That kind of system seems very open to abuse.

How do Universities sift applicants? They can't base it off GPA when the standards vary so much.

you have to tell them what high school you went to and then they can go to wikipedia and look up the state and see how lovely its education system is

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They also take test results, usually multiple. ACT/SAT for example alongside GPA, miscellaneous bullshits, rear end kissings, protection money, shakedown money, etc.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
But with no national standards, how can high achievers in poo poo schools know where they place on a national level? How will they know if their good grades are because of genuine academic achievement as opposed to simply good behaviour? I'm envisaging a situation where a top high-school graduate from a poo poo school goes to university and fails, because academically they're several years behind their university peers.

Obviously with a huge amount of debt as well.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Plucky Brit posted:

But with no national standards, how can high achievers in poo poo schools know where they place on a national level? How will they know if their good grades are because of genuine academic achievement as opposed to simply good behaviour? I'm envisaging a situation where a top high-school graduate from a poo poo school goes to university and fails, because academically they're several years behind their university peers.

What do you want from national standards? standardized testing? Cause that's pretty much been shown to do more harm than good. The ACT/SATs are basically the nationwide standard tests colleges look at, when you have individual districts trying to adopt city/state/etc standards invariably you end up with the schools that aren't doing well in the first place getting less funding (and generally their funding is already abysmal because it's based on property taxes so poor neighborhoods get less funding to start with) and you end up with a downward spiral that drives the need for private schools in the first place.

Generally speaking the SATs are the test everyone takes that looks into their relative knowledge of the core practices, and for the most part SAT scores above a certain number guarantee college admission + free scholarships. There's really no reason to standardize public schools beyond that unless you're first gonna make sure all those schools are equally funded and staffed cause otherwise you just end up hamstringing institutions that were already limping in the first place.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Plucky Brit posted:

It's almost as though the education system in America is set up so that some kids have a harder fight than others, but they never close the gate completely, so that there's a constant motivational trickle of "This kid studied their way out of the ghetto, why can't you" stories, without there being enough actual occurrences of that to effect any real economic change in those groups

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I teach SPED at a public school and I think my program is pretty good. I worked really hard last year setting it all up and training people and we're starting to see the benefit now. It's fun! I might be asked to do something similar at a different school sometime next year.

Boof Bonser posted:

teacher-training-industrial complex

This is really funny

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Public school kids were supposed to learn all the cool swears and gently caress moves but due to overcrowding and lack of educational resources many of them are years behind. (However, the inventors of the Knockout Game and sexting were public school graduates).

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Claims that charter schools, as a whole, do a better job of teaching students how to swear nastily and make a woman's legs buckle from intense orgasm combos , are not supported by evidence. There are certain schools that do a better job but mostly they simply winnow out students who are struggling to drop the F-bomb. They are notoriously bad at meeting disability accommodations which are required by law and which require significant resources in public schools, and in fact are sometimes able to find loopholes in order to be exempt from them entirely. As a result, students with notably small or weird dicks are allowed to fall farther and farther behind until they make a "choice" to return to public school. There are charter schools without a single penis pump at all. Also, there's that thing where your tongue is super-connected to the bottom of your mouth and it makes it painful to eat pussy. Charter schools just freeze those students out with a combination of neglect and overly harsh disciplinary actions.

Plus there's the argument that the only families that are going to jump through the loopholes to get their kids into charters are the ones that have enough time and education to swear at their children for at least 30 minutes a night.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

if your kid's actually smart they'll just learn poo poo in the garage or on the computer or whatever, outside of whatever deficiency the school leaves them and also you're probably raising a dweeby little turd just fyi

Bored?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
My friend is a teacher in a private school. He makes $16 an hour and has no health insurance. Lol. I'm sure they are getting their best and brightest.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

But the administration is cherry-picking who they allow into the school, keeping overhead foremost on their mind when they reject kids on IEPs or kids who have probation officers or a history of mental and emotional problems.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

do u know jenny posted:

My friend is a teacher in a private school. He makes $16 an hour and has no health insurance. Lol. I'm sure they are getting their best and brightest.

Lol you just owned your friend really hard.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
I know this total FUCKTARD who teaches at a private school. He smells like poo poo and is probably a terrorist. He teaches kids things like the Earth is the center of the solar system and 1 + 1 equals go home and steal your parent's pain pills and give them to me. Oh, and another thing? He's my best friend.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
People bitching about lovely teachers got me thinking - Is there any profession with high quality employees all throughout? I would say Astronaut, but didn't hey have some murder love triangle deal a few years back?

Even in "good" jobs 75k+ where the competition should weed out under performers there are worthless mouth breathers who struggle to tie their shoes. Every job I've had seems like you end up with the same distribution of: 20% dogshit barely fictional humans, 60% who clock in and out and technically fulfill their role but without any real understanding or ability to improvise if anything changes, and 20% people who can solve new problems.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

misty mountaintop posted:

Lol you just owned your friend really hard.

Not really. He hates working there, and says they can't believe they let someone like him be a teacher

He can't get a job as a public school teacher because that requires a Masters degree in his state and he only has an undergraduate.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

my public high school couldn't afford paper during my freshman year, and they can't get a levy passed to be able to afford buses now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I went to public school then went to a state university

Ended up with a 70k starting salary job with high upward potential in a corporation I actually like so as long as its funded and there's a decent enough honors and AP program I don't see the problem with public schooling. Right now I'm in a state anyways with great public education for the region compared to the neighbor states so I wouldn't feel bad sending my kids through the local public education and state university here.

It all comes down to funding and how much the GOP (or Dems if you're on the East Coast) want to gut your education budget so they can get kickbacks from charter schools. Incidentally my state doesn't have those and has great public education!

• Locked thread