Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

misty mountaintop posted:

If public school teaching wasn't a major example of regulatory capture of a vocation, maybe we wouldn't be in this mess! The requirements for becoming a public school teacher, which have not been shown to have any impact on teaching quality, by the way, set a bar for entry that discriminates against individuals with less resources, regardless of whether they would be good teachers.

Yeah I am definitely not disagreeing with you. My friend's argument is "if I wanted a job without health insurance I could work at Wal-mart" so while he does try, most of his coworkers really don't give a poo poo. Public schools have their faults, but at least it's a desirable job. He said they take pretty much anyone at his private school because not many people are willing to teach and not even have basic benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
lmao @ all the GPA inflation in here. my school ranked everyone out of 4.0. the good schools know enough to account for the AP and honors courses you dweebs. mine did.

AP courses only get weighted in places where parents lose their poo poo when their beautiful genius baby loses valedictorian to someone with a 4.0 in special ed classes

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Slanderer posted:

lmao @ all the GPA inflation in here. my school ranked everyone out of 4.0. the good schools know enough to account for the AP and honors courses you dweebs. mine did.

AP courses only get weighted in places where parents lose their poo poo when their beautiful genius baby loses valedictorian to someone with a 4.0 in special ed classes

This is some very true poo poo, I love doing educational checks and having schools try to explain stupid rear end grading systems to me. Because it never fools anyone who matters

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Booblord Zagats posted:

This is some very true poo poo, I love doing educational checks and having schools try to explain stupid rear end grading systems to me. Because it never fools anyone who matters

You want to check some education? Check the education these young adult Juggalos and Jugalettes are getting at Hatchet High Magnet School. Look how happy they are in the Faygoteria. All of the players on our Wicked Clowns teams have at least a 5.0 GPA. 90% of our students are able to whip their tits out by the time they graduate at 23.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ben Franklin didnt go to charter school and he invented america.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Kill em with kindness is what mom always used to say. Never learned that in any private/charter school either. In fact, it seems like the necrocracy of standardized education does a lot more harm to people and group psychology than positives. Case in point, the "educated" goon collective that have "opinions" in this thread. I enjoy practicing my reading of the ingredients in Campbell's soup btw.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I was under the impression that the point of private school was to make friends with rich ppl, and then you can matriculate to a university with more rich people to assure your future employment by their dad or brother in law or something. Just kidding, sorta.

I went to private school in socal and have no complaints, OP. Had a good time and made a lot of good friends and a broad liberal education. (Liberal as in liberal arts, duh.)

Reading the posts a couple pages ago or whatnot about determining aptitude and tracking kids gives me the willies. I'm clueless about the realities of education but in my heart I feel like all students should be provided with all the tools they need to learn and develop a life long love of learning and exploration.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Smythe posted:

I was under the impression that the point of private school was to make friends with rich ppl, and then you can matriculate to a university with more rich people to assure your future employment by their dad or brother in law or something. Just kidding, sorta.

I went to private school in socal and have no complaints, OP. Had a good time and made a lot of good friends and a broad liberal education. (Liberal as in liberal arts, duh.)

Reading the posts a couple pages ago or whatnot about determining aptitude and tracking kids gives me the willies. I'm clueless about the realities of education but in my heart I feel like all students should be provided with all the tools they need to learn and develop a life long love of learning and exploration.

Yeah but meanwhile we're sending kids into a dog eat dog capitalist system where success is treated as a zero-sum commodity. Sure we don't want to write kids off onto the cashier track, but we aren't doing them any favors by letting them do a few years of college, get into massive debt, and then shuffle them off to minimum wage purgatory.

I dunno. I know Germany is very heavy into tracking which has has its pros and cons, and is helped by extensive apprenticeship programs for the trade school kids. Last time this came up someone said they reformed it recently to provide more chances for a kid to move back onto the college track if they really want that and put the work in.

Waterfowl
Apr 18, 2005
I went to private/boarding school and it was fantastic. Faculty who took an actual interest in you, most of my closest friends(graduated 10 years ago) are still from there, got to take multivar and diffeq in high school. Oh also the oft touted *networking* thing is real to an extent.

There are certainly good public schools and especially magnets in some areas(went to college with a lot of TJ/Stuyvesant/Brooklyn Tech types) but where I grew up public education wasn't great.

went to good college, studied good thing, got good jobs, live in cool major city, etc.

downside is it's really expensive but I wasn't exactly paying my own expenses in high school so v:shobon:v

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Smythe posted:

They totally should, but a lot of educational scheduling is just tradition. For instance, you can equally well develop the tools you need to learn and a lifelong love of learning and exploration from an auto tech class as you can from a high school chemistry class, but only one of them is pretty much required for a diploma.

The willies you feel are justified though, by the history of American education; the alternative, however, is real bad too.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

ArbitraryC posted:

What do you want from national standards? standardized testing? Cause that's pretty much been shown to do more harm than goo. The ACT/SATs are basically the nationwide standard tests colleges look at, when you have individual districts trying to addopt city/state/etc standards invariably you end up with the schools that aren't doing well in the first place getting less funding (and generally their funding is already abysmal because it's based on property taxes so poor neighborhoods get less funding to start with) and you end up with a downward spiral that drives the need for private schools in the first place.

A while back, but I feel I need to respond to this. Thanks for the information.

Also Jesus Christ, no wonder schools in poor districts are terrible if they're funded by property taxes. What does the federal education department spend its budget on then, if it doesn't distribute funds or administer academic standards?

I wasn't advocating using the standards as a stick to beat the schools with, or even make them mandatory; it would be used for the benefit of the students and colleges so they could have an understanding of their academic level, independently of their teachers. I appreciate standardised tests can cause issues, particularly if they're implemented like NCLB, but how else are people going to assess the education that kids are getting at a school?

Full disclosure, I went to a selective private school in England; there was a tough entrance exam to get in but my parents paid substantial fees as well.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Plucky Brit posted:

A while back, but I feel I need to respond to this. Thanks for the information.

Also Jesus Christ, no wonder schools in poor districts are terrible if they're funded by property taxes. What does the federal education department spend its budget on then, if it doesn't distribute funds or administer academic standards?

I wasn't advocating using the standards as a stick to beat the schools with, or even make them mandatory; it would be used for the benefit of the students and colleges so they could have an understanding of their academic level, independently of their teachers. I appreciate standardised tests can cause issues, particularly if they're implemented like NCLB, but how else are people going to assess the education that kids are getting at a school?

Full disclosure, I went to a selective private school in England; there was a tough entrance exam to get in but my parents paid substantial fees as well.

Yeah it's a bad situation, schools in poor areas get less funding from property taxes so they typically do worse on state tests and as a result this often ends up with them getting less funding from the state too. Standardized test are pretty much exclusively used as a stick to beat schools with and it ends up pressuring them to spend so much time just teaching specifically for the tests which is kind of a waste.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Plucky Brit posted:

It's more carrots than sticks. The Department of Education tries to influence state educational policy by awarding grants to schools that implement policies in line with their standards and by providing money to states that implement statewide policies that are in line with their standards. This is somewhat effective because if states had to pay the full cost of education themselves they...uh...wouldn't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My school was almost certainly over funded. I'd rather the thousands they blew on smart boards had gone to teachers or other schools in need. They were easily replaceable with a projector and a whiteboard. They also built a whole computer lab that was way overspecced, and used only for foreign language classes as glorified tape recorders.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

do u know jenny posted:

can't believe they let someone like him be a teacher

Is this guy your friend or not?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
y'know it just occurred to me, look at the thread title

quote:

Public school has and will always be better then private/charter schools

I think OP meant "than private/charter schools" but I guess that's what you get with union teachers :smug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My school was almost certainly over funded. I'd rather the thousands they blew on smart boards had gone to teachers or other schools in need. They were easily replaceable with a projector and a whiteboard. They also built a whole computer lab that was way overspecced, and used only for foreign language classes as glorified tape recorders.

smart boards are one of the biggest wastes of money

ed tech sales reps are one step below pharma reps in terms of sliminess

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
aren't most of those things bought with one-off funds that can't be used for day to day stuff?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the 5 point scale gets gamed btw

the top two kids in our class were battling for #1 (we didn't have 'valedictorians' but still had class ranking)

one kid had gone and taken a 4 point extracurricular and been a member of the band for one year
the other kid's privately hired counselor advised his parents that study halls did not affect positively or negatively, so the other took a study hall (blank) instead of band in 9th grade

he 'won' and had the higher GPA by 0.03 after four years despite doing fewer things

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Boof Bonser posted:

A relatively small number of students are just idiot cancers who can gently caress up an entire school year for the whole class.

At the end of the last school year, our staff insisted that the principals start to deal with the few lovely kids in the building. Like, make them go to class and if they refuse, get rid of them. For the past few years, admin had been using the school as a safe space to welcome anyone who shows up, no matter how they behave. Kids were enrolled and allowed to be in the building all day without being registered in any classes.

This has led to 4 drug dealers (not really students, they just sat in front of the office at the entrance scaring people) leaving a school of 800, and the entire atmosphere has changed. Same as any job, but soft admin in a school crushes morale very quickly. Once you know they don't have your back, you are hosed trying to deal with any real problems.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Carwash oval office posted:

At the end of the last school year, our staff insisted that the principals start to deal with the few lovely kids in the building. Like, make them go to class and if they refuse, get rid of them. For the past few years, admin had been using the school as a safe space to welcome anyone who shows up, no matter how they behave. Kids were enrolled and allowed to be in the building all day without being registered in any classes.

This has led to 4 drug dealers (not really students, they just sat in front of the office at the entrance scaring people) leaving a school of 800, and the entire atmosphere has changed. Same as any job, but soft admin in a school crushes morale very quickly. Once you know they don't have your back, you are hosed trying to deal with any real problems.

Public, private, or charter?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Carwash oval office posted:

Did the police get called eventually? It seems hard to believe that 4 easy collars couldn't get the cops attention.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
I taught at a charter school. They weren't (and still aren't) required to offer all the same amenities that real public schools are. Stuff like food. One time we had a student pass out cause she hadn't eaten anything in a few days.

The school's budget was mostly set by the number of students we had, so our decision to expel a student varied wildly depending on enrollment. And to be 100% clear here, we set ourselves up as a last chance kind of a school, so the kinds of students I'm talking about were 20 year olds with violent criminal records who were threatening to shoot teachers.

Basically the op is 100% correct about everything.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Canadian public school. Great kids, this was just a special group taking advantage of a usually relaxed rural school.

Police were called a few times, don't think they ever showed or followed up. The kids would steal bags, go into bathrooms and take phones from them. On camera (except bathroom). No consequence from us or police, couldn't prove they did anything. That was the part that made me really mad, when they got away with robbing a girl who has low iq/anxiety, she was just devastated.

Edit to try and explain why they were there without any classes: that is what the admin secretly did, took them out of all classes and told them to work on their own time in resource room when they felt like it. The rest of the time, hang out in the commons, to greet anyone coming into building,

Carwash Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 29, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

private schooling is great, i was homeschooled and i ended up in some jr high science and math classes taught at a local megachurch, all of our science textbooks were about how the earth is totally only 6000 years old and that early mankind definitely coexisted with dinosaurs.

edit: homeschooling though should honestly be more regulated. like they should use the same curriculum and standards that public schools use, and be held to the same standards as a public school would be.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 29, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Instant Sunrise posted:

aren't most of those things bought with one-off funds that can't be used for day to day stuff?

depends

poorer districts can easily get grants to cover that kind of stuff, but a lot of districts have reallocated resources away from stuff like building maintenance and hiring teachers toward useless tech

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

depends

poorer districts can easily get grants to cover that kind of stuff, but a lot of districts have reallocated resources away from stuff like building maintenance and hiring teachers toward useless tech

well poo poo.

also my high school had smartboards and they were the most useless poo poo ever and didn't do anything you couldn't do with a projector and a regular whiteboard.

well that's my two cents on smart boards

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish posted:

I won't, and I'll tell you why - it's nonsense. You know it and I know it. The reality of the real world is that those who change their beliefs when they're under scrutiny are weak. Those who enter into a discussion only to end up having their mind changed by someone else are weak. On all matters subjective I would rather double down than admit being wrong and end up being seen as an intellectual weakling. The expression "perception is reality" is so true in this case, if you fold and change your mind for someone else you will be seen as indecisive and weak. Purely as a matter of principle I completely disagree with your premise that being open to other ideas is the kind of quality we should encourage in kids.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded

Also, burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the unclean

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i went to public school it was impressively terrible in every single way

the school system is p much designed to pump out idiots

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

i went to public school it was impressively terrible in every single way

the school system is p much designed to pump out idiots

worked on you bitch. haha. :thurman:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Roylicious posted:

Pretty much.

I know one girl who pays some outrageous sum of money for tuition for her *high school* and while it is a good school she's also so ridiculously sheltered that I honestly feel like she's going to struggle quite a bit in the real world.

e: here is their tuition schedule if you care, this is per academic year:

code:
Kindergarten to Grade 4	$27,540
Grade 5 to Grade 8	$31,610
Grade 9 to Grade 12	$32,020

This per year is like almost the cost of a degree at a 4 year state school.

But lets be honest here if you go to a private school it's entirely so you don't have to associate with the wretched poors.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teaching is a loving suckers game

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I went to both public and charter schools in the socialist paradise of Norway. Charter schools were so goddam much better than any public school like holy poo poo, you can't even compare those those two. It was like going from a 3rd world country school to a 1st world country school. I genuinely feel bad for the kids stuck in Norwegian public schools.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

my kinda ape posted:

This per year is like almost the cost of a degree at a 4 year state school.

But lets be honest here if you go to a private school it's entirely so you don't have to associate with the wretched poors.

What about private schools with large scholarship provisions, but which also have an entrance exam?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm sure Eton and Harrow are pretty dope but then they're rich as gently caress.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Rich private (not charter) schools own. Mine had a baseball field, softball field, practice field, superb track and field, tennis courts, olympic pool, shooting range, two theaters, dance studios, sweet landscaping, etc and pretty much everyone took AP classes for everything and they would arrange for you to take classes at the local university if you exceeded those and of course you could take stuff like Latin and Japanese and multiple levels of ceramics, painting, etc. For 100 people per grade (obviously you had to take an exam to get in). Normally it was 20k+ per student but they shamed the ten-to-hundred millionaires into donating loads of money to the school's endowment to subsidize ppl like me.

e: Also every middle schooler and up had an email and in 8th grade some girl goatse'd the entire grade with dance.swf and got away with it. Also we would play CS at lunch on the library computers (game loaded onto iPod natch) which also all had photoshop and a bunch of us joined SA in like 9th grade lol

emoji fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 3, 2016

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

emoji posted:

Rich private (not charter) schools own. Mine had a baseball field, softball field, practice field, superb track and field, tennis courts, olympic pool, shooting range, two theaters, dance studios, sweet landscaping, etc and pretty much everyone took AP classes for everything and they would arrange for you to take classes at the local university if you exceeded those and of course you could take stuff like Latin and Japanese and multiple levels of ceramics, painting, etc. For 100 people per grade (obviously you had to take an exam to get in). Normally it was 20k+ per student but they shamed the ten-to-hundred millionaires into donating loads of money to the school's endowment to subsidize ppl like me.

How diverse was the student body? That's not a gotcha question: sometimes private schools do better with that than public schools, depending on the area they're in.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
My juggalo charter would be open to juggalos of all races, sexual orientations, or gender expressions.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i went to public schools and there were higher level classes for smart kids and lower level ones for dumb kids

isnt this the same at every public school? like, some kids are taking algebra while the others are taking trigonometry or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

misty mountaintop posted:

How diverse was the student body? That's not a gotcha question: sometimes private schools do better with that than public schools, depending on the area they're in.

Less diverse than the public schools but much more diverse than the other private schools. A decent number of international students. There were a couple decent public schools but admittance was lottery-based.

• Locked thread