Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I would have killed to have gone to a upper class private school instead of the horrible Texas and Louisiana public schools I went to. It was like being bussed to prison every day complete with rampant drug use ,rape and violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i work with parents who don't know what grade their kids are in a lot of the time lol

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

. Frankly it takes just one awful teacher inflicted on a sensitive kid at a young age to screw that kid for the rest of their academic career.

Hahahah what a pussy. I bet you got yelled at by your kindergarten teacher and you're still sore about it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My pre-K-12 private school had a real good scam going. It was a feeder school with about a 10% acceptance rate if you tried to transfer into the high school program from outside, but if you passed 8th grade there you got in automatically. There were hardly any open slots for incoming kindergarteners through 8th-graders, so the best strategy was to get in the pre-K program and work your way up. Hope you can keep up with 14-15 years of annual tuition, moms and dads! :eng101:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Jonny 290 posted:

the 5 point scale gets gamed btw

the top two kids in our class were battling for #1 (we didn't have 'valedictorians' but still had class ranking)

one kid had gone and taken a 4 point extracurricular and been a member of the band for one year
the other kid's privately hired counselor advised his parents that study halls did not affect positively or negatively, so the other took a study hall (blank) instead of band in 9th grade

he 'won' and had the higher GPA by 0.03 after four years despite doing fewer things

But like why? Any college is going to go 'well why didn't you take a real class freshman year?'

tenspott posted:

Hahahah what a pussy. I bet you got yelled at by your kindergarten teacher and you're still sore about it.

No but I did have a teacher that routinely made people in 9th grade cry after verbally berating and abusing them in front of the entire class.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the private school in my hometown was just an excuse to separate the white kids from "the blacks" so naturally it was filled with some of the most inbred rednecks you could imagine

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I went to public school, and had disciplinary problems before high school. Twice I got to spend three weeks at the Future Felons of America campus, both times for just being a disrespectful grouch to one of the teachers. the time I stabbed a guy in the back with a pencil it was just one week of full-day super-detention, explain that to me. At the FFoA campus the old secretary would get up to scan every incoming student with a metal detector.

Once I was at high school, I was in AP History in the 10th grade, and passed the AP exam for it. We had a program for seniors to take courses at the college, and I'd completed 3 of them by the time I graduated.

Then the sadbrains set in and I've been working on my undergrad degree for 9 years. I'll take over at my elderly extended family's farm once I finally leave, and I expect to die there.

Anyway we had opportunities for the sharp cookies to advance at their own pace. I don't know what happened to everyone in the general student body but I heard horror stories from some of my younger teachers about things like a student getting mad that their friend cheated on their behalf because they wanted a clean zero on their report card.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Attended an awesome public high school that had a disproportionately funded fine-arts program, leading to things like the band being able to go on trips to Hawaii and poo poo. Needless to say, I joined the band to go on all the cool trips, but I was also bullied a lot for being in band. I also got in trouble with the high schools' computers and had to go to a bad-kids charter school for a year, which was actually kind of theraputic for a nerdy scrawny fucker like me, as it let me see what my options were with regards to education: deal with bullying dickheads, but have the opportunity to socialize normally, or go to charter school/prison where you weren't allowed to talk to any other students (they would just stick you in a solitary closet if you did), and you had to be on the computer for at least 5 hours. It took about a week of messing around to bypass the abysmal security so I could browse SA all day, and even then I felt the oppressive isolation from my peers. That year led me to believe that being allowed to talk to others is worth the bullying.

Private schools are for rich kids. Everyone should need to be exposed to others from varying background and forced to deal with them, as that is what real life involves a lot of. Putting all the rich kids in a special rich-only simulation of real life is dumb and wasteful. People that got rich got rich because of the overall economic situation of the country they live in, for the most part, and any equalizers we can put in place to remind them that we're all in the same lovely boat is a good thing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spudalicious posted:

Private schools are for rich kids. Everyone should need to be exposed to others from varying background and forced to deal with them, as that is what real life involves a lot of. Putting all the rich kids in a special rich-only simulation of real life is dumb and wasteful.

On the other hand, if you are trained to do nothing but deal with the people at the bottom strata of society, you'll never fly.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Spudalicious posted:

Private schools are for rich kids. Everyone should need to be exposed to others from varying background and forced to deal with them, as that is what real life involves a lot of. Putting all the rich kids in a special rich-only simulation of real life is dumb and wasteful. People that got rich got rich because of the overall economic situation of the country they live in, for the most part, and any equalizers we can put in place to remind them that we're all in the same lovely boat is a good thing.

yeah, that was one of the main points of michael moore's (lol) last documentary. that with segregated schools you run the risk of having a wealthy, management class that views the poors less than favorably. if you're a broken brained finance major, you learn to look at them as data points on a scatterplot.

i went to a very good public high school in the chicago suburbs. the student population is about as diverse as it gets for an upper-middle class suburb. lots of chinese, korean, indian. russian and middle eastern. the few mexican students at my junior high were tormented unmercilessly. indians were made fun of for their accent, the bullies adopted apu's voice. i think by freshman or sophomore year in HS, most of this childish racism was vanquished and people were people. there was a group of 50-60 people in my class (out of 800) that were taking calc II and III at the community college. they ended up at LSE, Harvard, MIT, UCLA, Cal Tech, Stanford, etc. i went to tom cruise's safety school in risky business.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Looking back I can't believe how much more ghetto my middle school was than my high school, and they both had the same name, same students on track, etc. Granted, it was the early/mid 90s and gangs were at their peak but goddamn PE was like an hour of prison every day and I can't count the amount of beatings/stabbings I saw or heard about happening there or at bus stops after school. 9th grade at the high school was pretty bad but in 1994 when I entered 10th grade I remember it being like night and day as far as the amount of bullshit I was exposed to. I had wealthy relatives who offered to pay for an expensive private school for me because I was testing off the charts but I declined because it would have made it weird for my parents and I didn't want to leave my friends.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Spudalicious posted:

That would happen even if you banned private schools. If you sort schools based on catchment areas you'll have rich kids grouped with other rich kids, because of affluent neighbourhoods.

Far better to group by ability, as then rich kids will mix with non-rich kids at the same intellectual level.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

In areas where the houses are nice and the property taxes are reasonably high, the public schools are great. In the hood, or super rich counties where the property taxes are low and all the kids go to private schools, public schools are poo poo.

Catholic schools are a good middle ground.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I dunno what really happens in public school anymore but back in the day you could beat people up smoke pot drink beer and have sex with your super exclusive girlfriend all in like 1 hour. Then after that you could trip x (which was new) for the rest of the day.

To summarize, public school is what made me the man i am today.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
what kind of hosed up country bases school funding on local income levels/property values

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

teaching is a loving suckers game

teacher spotted

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

LordArgh posted:

what kind of hosed up country bases school funding on local income levels/property values

a country founded on capitalism, classism, and systemic white supremacy?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Commie NedFlanders posted:

a country founded on capitalism, classism, and systemic white supremacy?

Man these past few months have just been getting under your skin.

Apply cream to the red irritated parts. You know, that medical thing a STEM major came up with?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

Man these past few months have just been getting under your skin.

Apply cream to the red irritated parts. You know, that medical thing a STEM major came up with?

few months?

more like
400 years of exploitation.
Anesthesia provided by your local TV station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsUDGxdeICw&t=61s

:slick:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

In areas where the houses are nice and the property taxes are reasonably high, the public schools are great. In the hood, or super rich counties where the property taxes are low and all the kids go to private schools, public schools are poo poo.

Catholic schools are a good middle ground.

They can be. They TEND to attract the rare religious (the kind who won't put a dick up your rear end) or truly vocational teacher who do all the things like attend and manage all the school fundraisers (which are bullshit of the highest order)/extra circulars and come in on weekends purely because they truly care about the students.

Tentatively I'm gong to say by and large if a school is run by Jesuits it's your best bet. For example law schools: http://www.holycross.edu/academics/programs/prelaw-program/choosing-law-school/jesuit-law-schools

USF is very well regarded as an example iirc.

Jesuit high schools are supposedly of similar caliber. The reason for this is that the Jesuit order focuses on education and are kind of considered the intellectual (and soldiers) of the Catholic orders. They have a colorful history particularly during imperialism.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

looks like your teachers should have done a a better job

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LordArgh posted:

looks like your teachers should have done a a better job

No, they taught me the definition of jealousy.

Anyway, the downside to Catholic schools (and possibly religious schools in general?) is that there are a great deal of idiots who adhere to faith you have to navigate through. They have stupid opinions, zero critical thinking skills and often have positions as administrators/management (fortunately low level).

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 4, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

genesplicer posted:

One interesting thing I've seen over the years is this: Lots of people will complain about how terrible public schools are, but if you ask them about the one their kids go to, they generally think that is a good one. If they have complaints, it's generally stuff that is budget-related.

When you retire please write a tell all book.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Basically, encountering people with different views, experiences, and culture forces students to think more, which increases their cognitive skills in general.

Yep, all that thinking I did about how to avoid getting my rear end beaten again by the rednecks sure did enhance my cognitive abilities.

I'm so smart now I think I'll send my daughters to the local drug, violence and rape academies so they can have the same advantage.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Plucky Brit posted:

That would happen even if you banned private schools. If you sort schools based on catchment areas you'll have rich kids grouped with other rich kids, because of affluent neighbourhoods.

Far better to group by ability, as then rich kids will mix with non-rich kids at the same intellectual level.
Sounds like a great idea!

wikipedia posted:

The Boston Latin School is a public "exam school" in Boston, Massachusetts. Established on April 23, 1635, it is both the oldest school and the first public school in the United States.[2][3][4][5] [...] In 2007, the School was named one of the top twenty high schools in the United States by U.S. News & World Report magazine.[6][7]

The School was named a 2011 "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence", the U.S. Department of Education's highest award.[8]

As of 2016, the School is listed under the "gold medal" list, ranking 51 out of the top 100 high schools in the United States (more than 20,000 public high schools from 50 states and the District of Columbia were analyzed) by U.S. News & World Report magazine.

lol wait no, then the rich families will all hire private tutors to create their own pseudo-private school.

Wikipedia posted:

Admission [to Boston Latin School] is determined by a combination of a student's score on the Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) and recent grades, and is limited to residents of the city of Boston.[37]

Because it is a high-performing and well-regarded school, Boston Latin has been at the center of controversy concerning its admissions process. Admissions are very competitive, and it is not uncommon for fewer than 20% of applicants to be admitted. Before the 1997 school year, Boston Latin set aside a 35% quota of places in its incoming class for under-represented minorities. The school was forced to drop this policy after a series of lawsuits involving non-minority girls who were not admitted despite ranking higher than admitted minorities.[38][39] Boston Latin subsequently defeated a legal effort to do away with its admissions process entirely and conduct admissions by blind lottery. Since 1997, the percentage of under-represented minorities at Boston Latin has fallen from 35% to under 19% in 2005, despite efforts by Boston Latin, the Boston Public Schools, and the Boston Latin School Association to recruit more minority applicants and retain more minority students..

Helical Nightmares posted:

No, they taught me the definition of jealousy.

Anyway, the downside to Catholic schools (and possibly religious schools in general?) is that there are a great deal of idiots who adhere to faith you have to navigate through. They have stupid opinions, zero critical thinking skills and often have positions as administrators/management (fortunately low level).

Parochial schools, maybe. Benedictine and especially Jesuit schools don't gently caress around.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

hey girl you up posted:

Sounds like a great idea!

lol wait no, then the rich families will all hire private tutors to create their own pseudo-private school.

So there's a public school, ranked in the top 20 US high schools, which selects on ability. That seems to back up my statement that it's a good idea to separate people based on academic ability.

I don't see anything in your quotes about private tutors, but I don't doubt that happens. The thing is, there is no system where children of rich parents won't have an edge. The rich will always have an advantage; they have more resources to deploy. Group by academic ability? They hire tutors to get their kids through the test. Group by geographical area? They move to a nice(rich) place. Group by random selection? They put their kids in private school. Ban private schools? They hire private tutors.

I'll be the first to admit that grouping by ability based on tests is not a perfect solution. It is still immeasurably better than the current US solution, of forgetting about bright kids with aspirations if they live in run down neighbourhoods.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah you gotta know how to deal with people but lol, I think your "cognitive skills" are better trained with, say, challenging academic material rather than dealing with brian from english class asking retarded questions to distract the teacher. Surrounding your kid with (socially and academically) intelligent peers is one of the best things you can do for them. Some socialization with others outside that qualifier is good but it doesn't have to be every day as far as I'm concerned.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The question isn't how to make everything suck for the rich people too, the question is how to improve the baseline so it isn't so terrible. Obviously some kids are smarter than others and they should be put into programs to challenge them or even taken to better schools with other gifted kids;just not at the expense of dicking over the other 90% of the population.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The school I work at just got a brand new digital media lab with pro tier equipment and software and it makes me sad because these kids are going to trash it all for funsies by the second semester.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

The question isn't how to make everything suck for the rich people too, the question is how to improve the baseline so it isn't so terrible. Obviously some kids are smarter than others and they should be put into programs to challenge them or even taken to better schools with other gifted kids;just not at the expense of dicking over the other 90% of the population.

I submit the baseline ISN'T terrible, we (America) actually have free public education for all, and it's even mandatory to an extent. The problem is the management and execution of it. You don't fix that by closing the private schools/mandatory bussing or whatever.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

bag em and tag em posted:

The school I work at just got a brand new digital media lab with pro tier equipment and software and it makes me sad because these kids are going to trash it all for funsies by the second semester.

hell yeah destroying computer labs as an adolescent kicks rear end

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The computer lab was where dumbos lost their Neopets passwords.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Plucky Brit posted:

So there's a public school, ranked in the top 20 US high schools, which selects on ability. That seems to back up my statement that it's a good idea to separate people based on academic ability.

I don't see anything in your quotes about private tutors, but I don't doubt that happens. The thing is, there is no system where children of rich parents won't have an edge. The rich will always have an advantage; they have more resources to deploy. Group by academic ability? They hire tutors to get their kids through the test. Group by geographical area? They move to a nice(rich) place. Group by random selection? They put their kids in private school. Ban private schools? They hire private tutors.

I'll be the first to admit that grouping by ability based on tests is not a perfect solution. It is still immeasurably better than the current US solution, of forgetting about bright kids with aspirations if they live in run down neighbourhoods.

i think it would be sad to have the nation's hopes, dreams, and education funding dumped into a school that's got the top 10% or whatever of testers while on the other side of the spectrum is a ghettoized defunded holding ground for society's unwanted. can't you see it now, a gleaming apple store of a school for those who tested well on some specific test, and those who are forsaken and left to rot? Those declared dumb and feeble, destined for menial drudgery or the dole?

i also have concerns about gating children. kids mature at different rates and giant federal standardized tests could come at a bad spot for one kid and right on cue for another.

i don't know. i'm really stupid, after all - but the thought of giving children standardized tests that determine how much resources and care our society bestows upon them for the rest of their lives makes me really sad.

dont you think there must be better way? to spread our nimble and beleaguered together so that they may join hands and pull each other up, together? that our strongest will grow stronger by helping to elevate our weaker? and gain insight and compassion into the broad and beautiful spectrum of humanity and the human condition?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Smythe posted:

i don't know. i'm really stupid, after all - but the thought of giving children standardized tests that determine how much resources and care our society bestows upon them for the rest of their lives makes me really sad.

I think standardized tests of some kind could work but they need to be waaaay more granular. Also, kids need to be pressured less (seeing kids in grade school cry from stress because standardized testing is awful and it means our system has failed them) to succeed on one specific track people have decided is 'success.'

Also it's dumb that it's "do worse on tests, get less resources!" because the tests should highlight areas that need additional help or work not just collectively punish schools for doing poorly.

Ideally the curriculum itself would be a bit more standard and then we could simply plug in test scores and grades they normally take into a database that compares them to regional/national scores/grades to see what's going on but that would require quite a bit of investment and thinking about the kids rather than the pockets of the companies who are profiting from the bubble testing.

While I agree that it's difficult and often unhelpful to try and neatly categorize all kids, there has to be *some* metric to ensure people are doing their jobs.

As far as the gating stuff goes, I don't think any one test should determine anything. They should just be an ongoing metric tool so you can see where a school's/classes'/student's weaknesses or strengths are.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Roylicious posted:

As far as the gating stuff goes, I don't think any one test should determine anything. They should just be an ongoing metric tool so you can see where a school's/classes'/student's weaknesses or strengths are.

Well, that other guy is advocating for segregating schools based on academic ability, which I assume is test scores. To me that sounds like a recipe for dystopia and unimaginable sorrow.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I'm sorry Citizen 57102842 but you have not met the requirements for continued attendance at this academy - please stay on the bus until we arrive at Education Overflow Center J where you will be assigned a new course schedule and multicolored gel pens.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the guard from half life 2: pick up that can. (to your child, from the time they did poorly as a third grader who needed some help with reading until the day they die as they are irrevocably relegated to working on the chain gang.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I went to the #5 public high school in the country and it was pretty awesome. It was a magnet school though, so you had to take admissions tests and poo poo to get in. It was pretty sweet because we were allowed to build our own schedules college-style, so if you took the right combo of classes you could be done with school by noon once or twice a week (the normal day went til 4:30 though).

Because we took a few kids from each town in the county, they all depended on their respective towns' public school busing system, which meant that if at least 2 of the 40-50 towns represented had snow days, we had a snow day :hellyeah:

Our most famous alumni are:

-a kid who was a main character in that spelling bee documentary
-the kid who first jailbroke the iPhone, was sued by Sony for cracking the PS3 firmware, and was also the first person to figure out how to root the Galaxy S5
-a girl who landed a $500k book deal and associated movie rights right after graduation and a full ride to Harvard, then lost it all when it turned out her book was full of plagiarism from authors like Salman Rushdie

oh and the guy who was teaching the hardest courses in the school (college-level microbiology and the like) just got sentenced to 4 years for sexting a student

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I went to public school then went to a state university

Ended up with a 70k starting salary job with high upward potential in a corporation I actually like so as long as its funded and there's a decent enough honors and AP program I don't see the problem with public schooling. Right now I'm in a state anyways with great public education for the region compared to the neighbor states so I wouldn't feel bad sending my kids through the local public education and state university here.

It all comes down to funding and how much the GOP (or Dems if you're on the East Coast) want to gut your education budget so they can get kickbacks from charter schools. Incidentally my state doesn't have those and has great public education!

Well just off the top of my head, maybe if you went to better funded schools you would have learned not to draw sweeping conclusions about millions of people based on a sample size of 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You Are A Good Poster and I don't have anything else to add that you didn't bring up in this thread.

Teikanmi posted:

isnt this the same at every public school? like, some kids are taking algebra while the others are taking trigonometry or something

The board I teach in has blended classes, so while students could be reading and working on different assignments based on their ability. I've taught Advanced and Academic English that also had IPP (Individualized Program Plan) students all in the same classroom. The people arguing for streaming in this thread just have no idea how things could be and currently operate in other places, I assume they are in crappy American states where no money goes into Education.

• Locked thread