Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
MGS games are what players say they want. And players complain anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Snake is inspired by Snake Plissken but what does it matter to your enjoyment?

MGS's farcical characters and situations counterbalances the heavy real world themes. I would compare them to Dr. Strangelove just as much to 80s action films. The silliness allows players to indulge in their power fantasies without being distracted by the serious issues. Its is the best of both worlds.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

"I never made it without biting"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

Jessica Jones hosed Luke Cage, I mean that's just one example, but it's not like it's a new frontier. Even this review points out how it was controversial in the 60s. It's happened countless times since then, that it's not even a hot button issue in and of itself. Happened in Dexter - poo poo I dunno, just off the top of my head. I didn't get the impression that that was a barrier that still needed to be crossed to avoid ridicule for being a spineless production.
Its spineless to holler diversity and not let a black man kiss a white woman.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney is making a sizable amount of the money in the film industry right now. That poo poo ain't going anywhere.

Marvel movies may have their problems, but I do appreciate how that poo poo is actually planned out ahead of time instead of just retconning everything and making it up as they go. Like all things, cinematic universes are fine in moderation. I do take exception to trying to turn literally everything into another CU though.

They have already reconned major things and they will be making it up as they go along. Comics are largely convoluted so I don't know why people care about continuity, as opposed to things like books or remakes.

The thing about the Marvel universe is I don't care. I think knowing what will come out years before provides the incentive to lose interest as much as it builds interest.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

What have they retconned?
Ultron for one.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Expand on that.
Tony Stark didn't make Ultron.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Plinkett, the internet phenom, commenting on other internet phenom is fair. I think they wanted to nip the prequel apologetics in the bud. Makes sense as they were the epicenter of criticizing the prequels.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but you seem mad about something
Poe's Law except worse

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Was it jay playing JJ?
Tim Higgins as JJ Abrams

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Star Wars is cool universe and setting. I'd say its better fantasy than traditional fantasy because it doesn't rigidly define warriors and magic. The Sith are villains but introspective and represent a philosophical difference more than morally black. Heroes and rogues come in many variety. The Force is so vague that it is free from traditional religious baggage and paradoxes. The prequels are steeped in that universe. They are bad films but set in a mythology people enjoy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

CineD is a gift.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rey should become a half-jedi half space angel and block death star attacks with her lightsaber and get a hoverboard and do oilies off of the Millennium Falcon while chopping troopers in half and be president of the galaxy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Vegg220 posted:

Gbs, 1986: oh so not only is she an expert on aliens she's also better at tactics than military commanders AND can fight in a power loader AND operate a machine gun and flamethrower as good as a marine after 20 seconds of training AND she's a supermom? This is why I'm voting for David Duke

Ripley karate chops Dallas before he lets Kane back into the ship then singlehandly pilots the Nostromo back to earth because she saw the captain do it and saves the crews from the alien (also the space army blows up the alien planet too).

Kyle Reese is about dive to save Sarah Conner from the Terminator when he is shot by the Terminator. Naturally, Sarah front flips over the Terminator, appears behind them, and crushes his head with between hands because she saw a bouncer do it. Then, she kisses Kyle Reese's sleeping body as she is teleported to the future where her waiting son John Conner (something something close time loop) hands her the shotgun Reese had and she leads him in war against the Machines.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 7, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I think Rey is the definition of a Mary Sue. But people like Mary Sues and it offends them when you slur their favorite character. Its like calling someone a racist. Nobody thinks they are racist, that's what those other guys are.

If Luke was Rey, he would have force pulled Obi-Wan's light saber and fought Vadar in A New Hope. He would have force suggested the trash compactor to stop. He would have flown a ship himself from Tatooine. Luke blew up the Death Star but it was with the help and deaths of several other people.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 7, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

wizard on a water slide posted:

Like it's ridiculous to compare her beating him to Luke beating Vader, when the entire point of the character is that he's a deluded wuss failing to live up the Badass Sith Lord reputation.

Follow my Blog, for More

Ren was the grandson of Vadar, trained by Vadar's son and Hero of the Republic, and empowered by the Sith.
Rey, literally nobody from a desert, probably iliterate and uneducated.

Who wins? Why?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Actors act on and off the screen.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Starship troopers was really good and probably the first movie that made me realize what a satire is. That and Top Secret!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kid goku was a idiot country bumpkin that got whipped up on as much as he won. Adult goku didn't even want to be a hero. The guys that were heroic couldn't fight and because goku would lose initially, it made him more powerful (by virture of being a saiyan).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

Bridget Jones and the greatly increased chance of birthing a mongoloid or downy
Too much comedy in one post.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People are too serious to redo the magic of the 80s and 90s is really overrated (until the tail end).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'll never stop being amazed at the endless king kong and universal monsters and tarzan and hercules reboots that fail spectacularly but no one will give Guillermo Del Toro money because his bigger and more ambitious movies underperform in the US but make their money back in Asia and home video.

Sony will spend $600,000,000 on Ghostbusters but won't bankroll Pacific Rim 2 or Mountains of Madness because the $100M movie might only do $80M domestically.

How are these idiots saying "oh that's too risky" while pouring the GDP of midsized African nations into loving Ben Hur, Gods of Egypt, and Ghostbusters?

Because they haven't quaffed any of Jayscum obviously.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Ghosts are nothing to joke about in China! The movie mocks the very real problem of ghosts.
China's spiritual purity will not be compromised by 4 unmarried women wielding lanterns. Pray our pious ancestors never spy such a calamity.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Nothing of value has been produced by video game culture

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Jack has said some smart things about games that probably were already said if you cared to follow games. Jack, like most streamer turds, jerks it over one topic and feels like games must live up to that one feature. He did a good job of pointing out how Bloodborne teaches you how to play without ever telling you and allowing different styles (Rich->idiot, Jack->skilled idiot) to succeed.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 21, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Episode 8:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Young Lando only if it plays like black dynamite in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4kIaHc4tAs

temple
Jul 29, 2006

So the alien doesn't have eye sight? Srs question

temple
Jul 29, 2006

reignofevil posted:

Okay because somehow this didn't summon Xenomorph into the thread I'll try to answer as best I can like a responsible thread mother.

In the very first aliens you can almost-sorta see some empty skull-sockets under the aliens head (or at least I read this on wikipedia) so to me that implies that there was thought toward the aliens being able to see even in the first movie.

Fast-forward to the pretty-good movie Alien 3 and its very clear that the alien can 100% see because we get a shot from its perspective and it has this weird fisheye thing going on. Though this alien is from either a dog or a space-ox depending on which version of the movie you saw and so maybe in the game Alien Isolation (which is of course the artwork in which the alien from your question was featured and thus your question pertains to) there were no dogs or oxen around in which case we don't really have definitive proof that the alien encountered by Jack and Rich had eyesight.

Naturally TriGGLetyPlay considered all of this when he wrote his insightful comment.
Thank you

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The original Alien is genius creature design. The only thing that ruined it was the later movies that tried to explain it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

its based off the inside out human vagina

I was referring to how the alien is skeleton cleverly hiding in a space suit, made of mix of biological and mechanical aspects. It combines the horror of the I forget the term but like abhuman aspects of the corpse transfigured by technology.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Any time you start to love mike remember, John Carpenter films suck.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Paladinus posted:

He is a racist caricature of black people.
Comparing black people to aliens is wrong. Nice job, racist.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Zombie movies were always around since NotLD but they weren't as popular as slashers or sci-fi. By the 2000s, the horror nerds that were scared of zombies as kids grew up and could make their own movies. I was going to say more about culture and politics but "nerds grew up" is good enough.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I'm Jewish and Hilter is totally cool. Everyone calm down, it was just an misunderstanding.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I probably got my first boner watching Teen Witch. I've tried to find what I saw in her but can't.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People didn't like Rey, doesn't matter what they call her. Mary sue is just a more specific way to say flawed character.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rey being a mary sue isn't the end of the world. The more people argue against it the more it sounds bad. Just enjoy the movies. If other people don't, get over it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Luke could lift a spaceship with force.
He didn't do it to solve problems.

achillesforever6 posted:

KOTR2 is great if buggy (Obsidiangame.txt) because Chris Avellone hated the concept of Star Wars
Sometimes, people who hate something really understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

reignofevil posted:

Iirc doesn't Yoda actually lift the ship for him anyway because he isn't good enough/whatever?

quote:

Days later, while training, Luke becomes distracted when he finds that his X-wing fighter has almost completely submerged into the swamp. Luke declares he will never be able to get the ship out, seeing that it is too big for him to extract from the water. Yoda says it is "no different, only different in your mind." Luke says he'll "try" to lift the ship, but Yoda says "No! Do or do not, there is no try." Luke tries to use the Force, but to no avail. Yoda reminds him that "size matters not" and gives him wisdom about the Force. Luke denies all of this, then Yoda decides to use the Force to lift the ship out himself. Luke is dumbfounded and incredulous. Yoda senses the youngster's failures within his mind.
beep boop jedis are psychic warmachines

• Locked thread