Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Trunko posted:

Can someone please explain to me how making fun of the way the Chinese language sounds is racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAafI9w7CY8&t=52s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Reloaded was cool, Revolutions was closure. I don't remember people hating them at all. I think people were more bored by them. The matrix sequels were burdened more by being a trilogy and the Wachowskis had nowhere left to go. Reloaded had some really good action sequences but Revolutions absolutely had to resolve the story and I don't think there was anything bigger that could be done at that point. I think they could have been done differently but people really really wanted the story to go forward. The matrix was like a good idea that was perfectly summed up in the first film but the desire for more stories in that universe were never satisfied.

The Archaic posted:

This is why Marvel movies are so successful, is having a guy at the steering wheel with a long term plan who knows the comics in and out, and is capable of putting his foot down. When Disney bought Marvel after Iron Man they wanted to immediately do an Avengers movie right away and make spin offs of whatever characters the audience likes the best and it was Feige who said "gently caress no". Feige goes out of his way to find unique and interesting directors who best fit the characters. He actually rejected James Gunn's original GOTG script, saying "this needs more James Gunn". One of many reasons WB is struggling with their DC properties is they have no Kevin Feige to direct the franchise instead have a board of business men and executives. It reeks of desperation and panic rather than a genuine love of the DC characters.

I know it sounds like I'm gushing over Feige but he's probably the best man to be running the MCU since he is a genuine fan of the source material and because of that he will do what's best for the characters and storyline, rather than what makes the most money.
Marvel movies work because they hit the right chord at the right time. There is no mystery or genius about it. It was a long time in the coming but people were ready for light hearted action movies they could take their kids to. As seen with the superman, spiderman, and BvS films, people don't care about serious heroes any more but those films would have been massive 20 years ago. Movies like Batman and Robin, The Last Action Hero, and more were family friendly action films but they didn't click because adults saw them as childish. Eventually, the 80's-90s man children was grew up, started having kids, and there was a huge niche that no one had exploited since Indiana Jones. Pixar also had a huge hand in creating a market for witty family films that prepared the way for their live action counterparts. Marvel movies to me are more like old Star Trek episodes than any previous super hero movies.

Nolan's Batman is probably the exception but Nolan has a draw of his own.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

thoughts and prayers posted:

Having watched all those movies at 'the right' age, nah - Batman and Robin went way beyond a knowing homage to the original into super uncomfortably gay and tweak. Nipples on costumes just took it away from silly fun into 'how many times did the director sneak in and get butt-hosed in these' weirdness.

I think Last Action Hero had other problems. It seemed advertised poorly - the commercials fell flat. And, frankly, we had Arnie fatigue after seeing him everywhere for so long. We were also all about word of mouth back then, and I remember the word of mouth for it being really blah.

Having loved the original Superman I and II with Christopher Reeve, honestly the successful Marvel films feel like they're finally getting back to what that film attempted. A warm, heroic retelling with respect to the original characters. Formulaic? That's just respecting the genre! gently caress Ang Lee trying to make it art house. Give me Hulk wrecking poo poo and funny quips. That does feel like Original Star Trek, I guess, but that's the right thing to do IMO.
My point is that Marvel films, to me, aren't about canon or consistency. I don't see that. I think Marvel captured the desire for relationship focused movies with quirky characters and they attached brands to it. Its like Teen Titans Go that goes completely the other direction in tone from other superhero cartoons.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Topher Grace I think had an edit of the Trilogy that reduces Episode 1 to about the last 10 or so minutes. it's a comment I've made before and even recently that nothing really important happens in Episode One and it didn't need to be a full-fledged film to tell the story it told and the story could have easily have started at AotC.
Anakin, Padme, Obi-wan, and the Emperior were all apart of TPM.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Studio Ghibli is the uncontested champion of anime. That's like 10 movies alone. DO NOT disrespect anime.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Millennial were born in the 80s but there is a big different between be 10-15 in '88 vs 3

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Warcraft was an objectively bad movie. It belonged on syfy or the early 2000s.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

As someone completely unfamiliar with Warcraft, was that supposed to be Orc Moses or something?

He's called green jesus but orc moses is more apt. It was a joke that apparently became his thing. Even his name sounds jewish (go'el).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Caring about things makes you a bad person.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Everything is dumb.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I recently got talked into a friend to try "sven co-op" and it's flat out just classic half life but multiplayer. I totally forgot about crouch-jumping and how important it was to the game. Today there'd be some "mantle" system that would activate in context sensitive places and play a little animation of you pulling your self up. But nope, in half life you have to jump then duck in order to pull your self up certain heights. I remember back in the day a lot of people got stuck on things like that, and tricky key-combos like that have pretty much died out in video games

Its the blurring of games and software, where games that automate things as since as improvements instead of gameplay concepts. I used to ET:QW (came out at the same time as TF2, no one remembers its) and it encourage people to circle jump and wall jump past obstacles. It was broken and really unfair to most noobs that couldn't understand how the enemy team ended inside their base and shot them in the back. I kinda felt sorry for them.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Reaction videos are for fans to up their favorite channel's views. They aren't content.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TFA was bad and dumb. Rogue One was cool and good. Max Landis did a Jack into Jay's Mike.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Actually Rogue One was bad and cool. TFA was good and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Blue Star posted:

Arnold makes funny noises when he falls in the hole and finds the sword. Also the other actors are pretty bad, except James Earl Jones. Thulsa Doom will always be his defining role to me, more so than Darth Vader. I like the movie overall because i like the sets and the costumes, the score is beautiful, and the story is very simple and raw in a good way. Like, there's no bullshit or nonsense, it's just a straight-up revenge story. I like the vaguely Bronze Age feel to everything. Way more interesting than typical medieval-ness in a lot of fantasy stuff. Probably the best sword-and-sorcery film ever made, which isnt saying much admittedly. Anyway, I;m just curious to hear what RLM guys have to say about it.
Conan is great and it is own thing in the mythos. I think that is what makes it great.

• Locked thread