Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
my mom didn't realize that Tarkin was CGI. She's kinda stupid, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

That's a good and funny video and I even liked the movie

RLM are good and I know this is the internet but I think it's good to try and not get butthurt whenever you disagree with someone

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

Tarkin didn't look bad, he just didn't look real. Like, if this had been a completely CGI movie, I would have thought "wow, that's amazing, they've really come a long way with animating people." Putting him next to real live people made me think "holy christ, that was a bad idea."

Agreed. Yeah, he looked like a video game, but he looked like a really, really good one. Like, a Playstation 6 or something. I didn't even get a creepy uncanny valley vibe from it, it was that good.

But like I said, he kinda felt like a cartoon and having him there right next to live actors made it feel like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. If he was in a fully animated movie, he'd be fine.

Honestly, it just makes me kinda want them to make a couple Star Wars animated movies that are made for TV or something and are in the Clone Wars \ Rebels style, but just with characters like Luke, Han and Leia. Like, maybe do loose adaptations of Shadows of the Empire, the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing books, but updated to fit into the new continuity. Those and KOTOR are like the only good EU stories worth keeping anyway. They already have Thrawn in Rebels and there's a 30 year gap between episodes 6 and 7, so I'm sure you could fit something in there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think that podcast video is loving incredible.

And I even liked rogue one because I'm precisely the kinda sperg who is into how many rivets are on a TIE Bomber. I eat that poo poo up.

I kinda feel like we need people like RLM to mock youtube trends and geek culture poo poo, because God so much of it is so cringeworthy and needs to be taken down a peg. Jay, Mike, Rich and the gang are doing God's work.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

loot crate really is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. "oh gee, it's a box full of random poo poo I don't want that no one else will want either."

That, and I don't even really particularly care for everything that's popular right now. I haven't seen a single episode of game of thrones, I'm sick of superhero poo poo and I think doctor who is a load of fuckin' garbage. I'm not into harry potter because I don't have a vagina.

That, and I have so much nerd poo poo, sometimes I have trouble getting rid of it. I'm already drowning in cheaply made memorabilia. I suspect that the people who get stuff like loot crate are new to this whole thing and want to have a bunch of worthless poo poo too so they can be "cool". Oh hey, I have a Thanos (TM) Infinity Gauntlet (TM) oven mitt! Awesome, right?

edit: I forgot, I wasn't be obnoxious enough, I meant AWESOMESAUCE instead of awesome

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

My favorite part about the 2016 Ghostbusters movie is when Dan Akyroyd said that Paul Fieg will never be allowed on the Sony Pictures lot ever again

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It was also really cool how Sony said that everyone who didn't like the new Ghostbusters was a misogynistic basement dweller. That really made me want to go see it. Trying to shame people into the theater doesn't really work. At least it's convenient to think that your critics are the scum of the earth when they don't like the smell of your farts so you never have to do any self-reflection

These been some rumblings about CBS trying to use the same excuse for Star Trek Discovery but that one isn't going to fool anyone because Star Trek has always been diverse, we've had a black captain and a woman captain before, and the show with the black guy was in fact the best one. No, I just don't like it how Star Trek Discovery looks like a dark and gritty Mass Effect and how the main character is Spock's adopted human sister who we have never heard of until now and that's super dumb

Fabricated posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 is only really worth talking about in reference to how insanely mad people got online about it for whatever reasons.

For me it fell into the same pit as Rogue One, The Force Awakens, etc where it was amnesia in film form because I was for better or worse engaged for the entirety of all those movies and then the instant I left the theater and threw my popcorn bucket away I had forgotten literally 90% of what happened

GB2016 was bad but it was ephemeral; it just evaporated from my brain when I stopped watching it. The new Star Wars stuff was good if I can recall how I felt about it, but I couldn't tell you the name of any character in Rogue One with a gun to my head.

Yeah honestly the movie itself just isn't worth talking about and just isn't really all that interesting. Now the huge shitstorm surrounding the movie, that I find really fascinating. It will be remembered for that and not for the movie itself which is just forgettable

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 9, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

oohhboy posted:

What the deal with Michelle Yeoh in STD? She is barely in the trailer while the black chick looks like she is being groomed to take the captain's chair then they kill Yeoh in some sort of half done stunt casting.

I dunno. I'm guessing Michelle Yeoh is the Captain, then she gets killed, then Sonequa Martin who is Spock's adopted sister becomes captain and then she flies off the handle and fucks up and starts a war with the Klingons. That's what the trailer looks like to me.

I could forgive them just inventing a human stepsister for Spock even though it screams fanfic poo poo, but the whole tone of the thing is just so.... off. Star Trek is fun and goofy and while tackling social issues is literally what the show is all about, it does it in a way that's optimistic and not depressing. Discovery just looks like it takes itself completely seriously and is all dark and gritty. Rumor has it that it's going to have plenty of gore, death and naughty swear words and while I'm no prude and I in fact love all of those things, seeing them in Star Trek is just like... wrong

Star Trek Generations was a lovely movie but the scene where Data says "oh poo poo" is funny and played for laughs precisely because nobody ever swears in Star Trek

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blue Star posted:

i could never get into STar Trek. I've watched some episodes of the original tv show with William SHatner and enjoyed a few of them, but a lot of them are boring. And when I tried to get into the other Star Treks, they were too boring too.

It's super not for everyone.

My favorite movies from the past 10 years or so are science fiction movies that aren't sequels or remakes of anything and don't have any action or anything exploding in them at all. Arrival is a movie that's just about Amy Adams trying to talk to these weird rear end aliens and there's no fight scenes at all and it's great and I loved it

It's also why Star Trek doesn't really work well as a big budget Hollywood movie because some of the best episodes are just the crew sitting around a table trying to figure out how to solve an ethical problem

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Overacting is a longstanding Star Trek tradition and Avery Brooks arguably chews the scenery more than Willam Shatner himself, and Bill Shatner practically invented chewing the scenery

One of my favorite scenes in DS9 is when Sisko was like "IT WAS REAL! I INVENTED IT! IN MY MIND! AND IT WAS REAAAALLL"

It's supposed to be a really dramatic scene but I can't help but find it hilarious. DS9 was the darkest Star Trek show and had the darkest subject matter, but it handled it in such a way that it still felt very much like Star Trek. And when she show actually did humor on purpose it was genuinely funny. It's all about tone.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Honestly the answer to the whole Ghostbusters debacle doesn't take a genius to figure out. Ultimately the problem with the Ghostbusters remake... is that it's a Ghostbusters remake. The original movie is such a classic that no matter how hard you try and how good of a job you do, people are always going to compare it to the original and it just won't fare well because the original is so beloved. I don't care who you cast, who writes or directs it, or oh god, what gender the Ghostbusters are, making it in the first place is just setting yourself up for failure. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but an all-female Ghostbusters team was actually a good idea because then you have an excuse for when it inevitably bombs.

And you know what? Paul Fieg and the actresses from the movie have actually done good stuff in the past. I enjoyed Bridesmaids. But it's also a totally different style of humor. Ghostbusters was extremely dry and witty whereas Paul Fieg's wheelhouse is toilet humor. Bridesmaids was funny but Ghostbusters it was not and I dunno what the hell they were thinking aside from dollar signs. Probably nothing beyond the dollar signs, really. If the 2016 Ghostbusters was its own movie and didn't try to be Ghostbusters, people probably would have generally liked it.

Remaking Ghostbusters is like remaking Back to the Future, the Godfather or Jaws. You do it and people will revolt. They kind of got away with remaking Star Wars and Jurassic Park because they pretended those remakes were sequels. And that said, the Force Awakens was mediocre and holy gently caress was Jurassic World bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The thing that I keep hearing about the female cast that's strikes me as so weird is that people keep saying "it's so little girls can have role models." Wait, what? Since when were the Ghostbusters role models for anyone? Peter Venkman was a creep and a conman, Ray was a manchild, Egon was an emotionless weirdo and all of them were just in it for the money. Winston was probably the only decent human being in the crew and he was still just in it for the money. They didn't bust ghosts out of the kindness of their hearts, they just wanted fame, fortune and pussy.

And then if you look at the new Ghostbusters, I wouldn't want my daughter to look at it and go "I want to be like one of those people!" either.

Yug posted:

So far the spin offs have been better than the direct sequels. But the next spin off and sequel both look really bad.

Yeah I've read some leaks for the plot of Episode 8 and heard about the poo poo going on with Han Solo and hooooooo boy Disney Star Wars might actually be worse than the prequels and the old EU. I thought it was great that they hit the reset button but boy was I wrong

WampaLord posted:

It's this. No matter how good the script, nothing would have saved it from comparison to the original, and the original is literally a perfect movie.

Yep. It is. Ghostbusters was catching lightning in a bottle and it doesn't strike in the same place twice. Back to the Future is another perfect movie and thankfully Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale fight tooth and nail to prevent another movie from ever happening and it won't happen until they're both dead. A remake of Ghostbusters should have never been made, and if there were ever going to do Ghostbusters 3, they should have made it in the late 90s or maybe even the early 2000s at the very, very latest.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I wonder if this attempt at a Ghost Busters cinematic universe (lol) has negatively impacted proton pack Halloween costumes

As can be said for Willy Wonka, Total Recall, Robocop, The Thing (I know the 'original' was a remake but it was what the re-remake was trying to ape), whenever they try to remake Top Gun or Back to The Future or ____________________.

It's almost like today movies are completely disposable, are immediately forgotten, never leave a lasting impression and ape older, better movies for brand recognition so they make money

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Power_of_the_glory posted:

I kind of vowed to never watch Ghostbusters 2016 after they attacked James Rolfe for not wanting to watch the movie.

Sadly, I was actually kind of excited for the movie at the all female Ghostbusters cast was revealed because I thought it was a sign they were going to do something new with the premise.

Same. I thought an all girl Ghostbusters might be interesting until I actually saw the trailer and how people started making GBS threads on James Rolfe and I was like "okay, no thanks, gently caress you"

Like I said, an all girls Ghostbusters was actually genius and one of the only smart moves they made with this movie because then when it fails you have a convinient excuse

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, you know that's their job right?

It's astounding Akroyd circled around later to poo poo on Feige, because you never ever do that in Hollywood.

Yeah it was a pretty insane mic drop moment. It probably wouldn't have happened if Feig's career wasn't already ruined. Akroyd has also been in the business for a long, long time and has a good enough reputation to get away with it.

More or less Ghostbusters destroyed Paul Fieg's career and Sony Pictures' days are numbered, too. Rumor has it Sony might sell it to Disney so I guess Disney will get the rights to Spider-Man fully back at least. Not that I'm wild about Disney, given that they're more like a factory that mass produces soulless Marvel movies, Star Wars movies and live action remakes of animated movies.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You know across every Star War movie we've never seen a Star Destroyer fully engaged in combat.

You'd think something named after a naval destroyer that's the size of a city would have thousands of guns and be an incredible sight to behold firing.

But they mostly just show up, release a couple dozen TIE Fighters, then get blown up by dinky single seater fighters.

The most you see is them firing a single cannon at a fighter. So at best they're ridiculously huge aircraft carriers that are way too big to only be hauling a few TIE fighters.

The Enterprise could take out dozens of them shits.

We do in Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith

It really bugged me how lovely the space battles were in the Force Awakens compared to earlier movies. Okay, so you have this huge Death Star made out of the side of the planet and it's only defended by like 10 TIE Fighters?

At least the battle in Rogue One was cool as gently caress even though the rest of the movie wasn't that good. We at least got a very cool space battle out of it

Very cool. Very cool. Me personally,

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I had always wondered why Back to the Future hadn't gotten rebooted. Who owns the actual movie rights still?

It always seemed like it was ripe to have a really insanely poo poo reboot done that destroys both the iconography and fucks up the basic premise for product placement and endless jokes about millennials. Have the kid jump back to the 90's, the time machine is now a new F150 because the Doc replacement can talk about how the "all aluminum body" works with the tech in the same way Doc halfway said the original Delorean's Stainless Steel did, ads everywhere, the scene in the diner is like a 15 minute "who's on first" sketch with the kid asking for a Coke Zero, etc

It's because Rob Zemeckis and Bob Gale still have the rights to the movie and have fought tooth and nail against a remake and one won't be made until they're both dead. Unfortunately this means when they eventually do die some jackass in Hollywood will probably make a remake

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

priznat posted:

I watched BttF for the first time in forever and it holds up although it is a bit rapey.

Like the main plan is for marty to sexually assault his mom before his dad shows up to beat him off. And then Biff just short circuits the plan and goes for it.

PROBLEMATIC!

Marty wasn't going to sexually assault his mom... his mom was sexually assaulting him.

Biff was a full on rapist though so when you think about it, it's really loving weird that they just let the guy who was going to rape Marty's mom wash their car and do their chores many years later

Like goddamn it McFly he almost raped your wife 30 years ago why are you allowing him anywhere near your home

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Like seriously Hollywood quit it with the remakes goddamn. There's been hundreds of remakes over the years and I'd be hard pressed to name 10 of them that were actually worth watching and weren't immediately forgotten.

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-The Fly (also from the 80s)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
-Hammer Dracula and Francis Ford Coppola Dracula I guess?
-I'm drawing a blank

The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars and Star Wars are all debatable becuase they were all based on Akira Kurosawa films but changed the setting so it's a bit of a stretch. I like Mad Max Fury Road and Shin Godzilla a lot but to they count? I dunno, calling them remakes is also a bit of a stretch.

Also notice that half of those movies I listed were westerns. Oh and they remade the Magnificent Seven again, didn't they? I forgot about that. Like you know, most remakes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

starkebn posted:

I think it's pretty simple:

Don't remake something that was already successful or popular.

Remake all the lovely flops you want.

That's not entirely true. You can also remake old movies that people forgot. I mean yeah old people remember plenty of John Wayne movies but kids sure don't.

Like the trick to doing a remake is not have people realize it's a remake. You know, like the Thing. The 80s one. Or Ben-Hur. Also no, not the new one, the 1950's one.

I also really liked Dredd, but again, it isn't quite a remake even though there was a Judge Dredd movie before. It's another adaptation of the source material, especially if the movie before deviated from it a lot. For the same reason, I dunno if you can consider the various Dracula and Frankenstein movies "remakes" as they're adaptions of the books, not the movies from the 1930s everyone knows.

Well, except these new ones are based on the universal movies. And they're being done by Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman. I swear it's almost like those two guys are on a mission to destroy everything I love

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently there's a new dune in the works. I like Denis Villeneuve's work but I'm worried for his future career if the new blade runner is poo poo they may axe Dune.

I'm not super optimistic about Dune because while I like the book a lot, and I even like the David Lynch movie, the book is really loving weird and long and might be unfilmable as they say. I feel like Dune could work as a HBO series like Game of Thrones but making it into a two hour movie that average moviegoers will actually like would be a huge challenge.

Like the David Lynch movie makes no sense and it's hard to enjoy or understand the context of everything without reading the book. Yes, I know it's a David Lynch movie and they never make sense but you get what I'm saying right?

I can almost garuntee that the Dune remake will flop hard, average people will see it and say "what in the gently caress is this" and the only people who might actually like it are turbo nerds posting on internet forums like us

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Just like on first attempts, when a re-do adaptation of a book goes closer to the source material, it gets better.

Especially Dredd. The Stallone one and the Urban one are like they're from different dimensions.

Something I thought would be neat before Jurassic World came out was how dope it would be to remake Jurassic Park like 20 years from now and stick to the book with Hammond being an evil prick who gets torn apart by compies and Robert Muldoon murking velociraptors with an RPG from a helicopter. Like lose a lot of the Spielberg geewhizz stuff (which is great and I love it) and doing it more like the man vs. technology vs. nature horror film it could be.

And maybe in 6 or 7 years someone can actually do The Dark Tower right. (Eat a dick, Sony) (God, don't let "IT" be trash, too)

I mean if you can tell from that thread I posted I'm a dinosaur nut and unsurprisingly Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies. It's a classic but I've often wondered what it would be like if they made a new one that was closer to the book and had more up to date science.

The biggest difference between the book and the movie is that in the movie, cloning dinosaurs seems fine and things only went bad because they didn't pay Newman from Seinfeld enough money. In the book they really go into just how hosed up and unethical it is to clone dinosaurs and how John Hammond has very little understanding of the animals and how to care for them or keep them under control. They only touch on that very briefly in the movie. In the book, many of the dinosaurs don't come out right and die, and they have version numbers like software which is messed up, and many of them even have difficulty breathing because they're too big for today's atmosphere.

I mean nowadays we know you can't clone dinosaurs because the DNA is all gone but in the next couple decades we'll probably be able to reverse engineer birds into dinosaurs because their dinosaur genes are actually still there but turned off. But I'd let that slide and say you could clone them as long as they have feathers, T-Rex can see you standing still and they call the Raptors Utahraptors instead.

At least the original Jurassic Park was pretty accurate for what we knew about dinosaurs in 1993 but they never updated them and Jurassic World makes the original look realistic by today's standards. I mean the freaking mosasaur was the size of a blue whale in it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If you edit out Keanu Reeves then Dracula is one of the best movies ever.

Fight me IRL.

I dunno if I would go that far but it's definitely a pretty decent movie and definitely one of the best Dracula movies. For me its probably a toss up between that one, the 1930s one and Nosferatu. It's hard to beat those first two as they're so iconic, although the Francis Ford Coppala one is a little closer to the book.

I'm more of a Frankenstein guy personally. Out of my top 10 favorite movies ever, two of them are Frankenstein movies - the Bride of Frankenstein and Young Frankenstein. Dr. Pretorious in Bride is loving amazing and steals the show and Mel Brooks needs no introduction.

I've only met one person who hated Mel Brooks and if you don't like Mel Brooks then gently caress you. How can anyone not love Mel Brooks?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Two remakes? Disgusting. Obviously the 1910 Frankenstein was good enough; Hollywood should have just moved on to new ideas.

Shut up dumbass, I'm not saying all remakes are bad. Also Bride of Frankenstein is a sequel and Young Frankenstein is a parody

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I'm just tired of hearing about how mad everyone is about remakes and reboots. It's like you're rebooting that opinion that everyone and their mother has had for the last decade. It's just like the hacks that make these cash grab remakes, but for opinions.

I realize it's tiresome, man. That said, all he superhero movies and shameless cash ins is also pretty triesome. I guess what I'm saying is gently caress movies *knocks over popcorn with a cane*

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

pics or gtfo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Cinema Discusso is the worst board of the forums, and that's saying a lot considering this board of the forums

it seriously is. I'm not going in there. If one of you guys want to go have fun

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bloom posted:

For people who say CD is terrible, you guys sure seem to have detailed knowledge about CD posts and posters. Have you considered just not going there?

I don't. I haven't browsed CineD in years. There's a reason for that.

I think the only people left who regularly post in CD are people like SMG and MisterBibs who love jerking off into their own mouths and pretending they're visionary geniuses.

It's... a really, really weird place with opinions from a bizarro universe and on rare occasions when CD actually interacts with the outside world beyond their bubble, people are just like "what in the gently caress are you smoking" like the time when Jack from RLM pooped on MisterBibs

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think CineD is basically like an experiment designed to take down postmodern critical theory by making it as absurd and stupid as humanly possible

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ghostbusters' failure was from the top, not the bottom. Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman should take most of the blame. After all, they were the ones who thought it would be a good idea to give this movie to Paul Fieg and market it the way they did. Paul Fieg is a dumbass and a horrible fit for Ghostbusters, but it's not like he hired himself. And it's not like he hasn't ever done anything good in the past.

Ultimately Ghostbusters is a movie that is so beloved and popular that if you make a remake of it, no matter how good it is or who you have do it, it will go over like a turd in a punch bowl. And it was the executives who signed off on the movie. The majority of the blame ultimately should go to them, although Paul Fieg also is largely responsible and is the guy who has caught the most flak and his career has been killed for it. Most of the actresses from Ghosbusters who aren't Melissa McCarthy are pretty decent and it's unfair for them to catch heat for the movie.

This is precisely why the remakes of Star Wars and Jurassic Park were disguised as sequels. Can you imagine what would happen if they did a full on remake of Star Wars? People would loving riot.

You think Ghostbusters made the Internet a shitshow? That would be fuckin' nothing if they did that with Star Wars. People are still raging about the prequels (and a certain someone made big longform reviews for them.)

I guess what I'm saying is buckle up and hold on tight folks because if Episode 8 sucks (and I have a feeling it will) the backlash is gonna be a hell of a ride.

Or, bare with me here, maybe the takeaway from 18 years of widespread internet message boards is that drooling dipshits love pretending to be smart by memorizing the names of a couple of logical fallacies and one or two philosophy talking points and then fill in the gaps with purestrain idiotic horseshit.

I'm not the smartest poster on this dead gay forum, but drat is it obvious that those guys are self sucking morons.

Well, I mean yeah, this is what it actually is.

I'll admit that I'm a complete dumbass and that alone makes the two of us smarter than anyone in CD

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 11, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

deliberately pushing the feminism angle in the marketing for this fuckin turd and kinda cynically stirring the pot online was pretty gross and probably the most reprehensible thing about the entire production

there's just something kinda...sociopathic about tricking people by appealing to their better nature

not exactly an uncommon marketing tactic but it was really bad here

Ding ding ding. And it's not like they're the only ones who have done this by a longshot, it's a trend these days for cynical marketing to try and trick people into thinking they're making the world a better place. Starbucks has been doing this forever. All you have to do is trick stupids into thinking that buying a product is somehow making the world a better place.

Then you have ones that are just so shamefully transparent that even the dumbest of dummies don't believe it. Like when companies such as BP and Exxon run commercials about how they care about the environment and want to save it. LOL come the gently caress on. Does anyone really think Exxon-Mobil really cares about "going green" and ensuring the Earth is a nice planet to live on? The only green they care about is a huge stack of Ben Franklins.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

reignofevil posted:

I actually dont buy the whole "The original was so good that no matter what a remake/sequel/unterseaboot would be hated" because when has that actually been true ever?

People want to like things. They want to like things that they have liked before. They really do.

So make them something good instead of bad and watch as they like the thing they liked before.... again!

It's because like it or not, people will always compare it to the original and they go into it with impossible expectations that can never be met. So you basically have to surpass the original or people will be pissed because they're holding these things to really, really high standards.

So I guess I'm saying it's the audience's fault? Well, kind of, but people should know well enough to expect that.

Seriously, Sony, you're probably going to be out of business within the year. How much would it kill you to hire me to slap your idiot executives around and tell them they're stupid when someone suggests spending half a billion dollars on a scriptless comedy that everyone will hate sight-unseen because it's a remake?

That's not how big business works usually, Tom Rothman has been a fuckup and giant rear end in a top hat for DECADES and it's just the underlings who get the flak. Most people haven't even heard of him.

You ever see that Kevin Smith video when he was going to make a superman movie? I mean, you may or may not like Kevin Smith and there's plenty of reasons not to, but the crazy executive he was talking about was Tom Rothman. The same guy responsible for Catwoman, X3 and a bunch of other bombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

I mean, Paul Fieg is kind of a douche and I don't really feel sorry for him or anything, but it is unfair that all of the blame gets lumped completely on him and his whole career gets tanked because of it. But, well, life really isn't fair.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

And yeah, I basically have that Kevin Smith speech memorized.

That's the point. No one ever tells the dipshits at the top NO. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry could tell you a half billion dollar Ghostbusters movie, Superman that doesn't fly and fights a spider, Pluto Nash, Catwoman, etc. are loving BAD IDEAS. But no one hires a sane person to tell them no. That's what I'm joking about.

And 100% yes Paul Feig deserves 100% of the blame. See previous. The studio was going to make it. He grifted getting the job. He grifted the budget. He grifted the actors. He wrote and shot the piece of poo poo. He kissed rear end and tried to start his own company within. He conned everyone. Sony executives are merely stupid and clueless (see: every Sony movie). Feig knew exactly what his con was. And it blew up in his lovely grifter face and he tried to take all the credit then passed all the blame.

Execs hosed up by never telling him no. He hosed up by trying to build an empire out of everyone else's money and labor while contributing gently caress all because he knows he's a fraud that got where he is because of Kristen Wiig's writing and nothing else. But he does know the studio system.

Feig can not get a pass. The con man isn't innocent just because people got conned.

Yeah I mean, I'm definitely not sad that failed conman Paul Fieg got stomped, it's just that stupid executives annoy me much more in general

And I mean... he's not even a very good conman because the only people he fooled were the dumbass execs and dopes who bought into the "you just hate this movie because sexism!" narrative

Nobody else bought it, because well... nobody went to go see the movie lol

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

lol i clicked on corn's probation avatar to see what that was about and saw the ghostbusters thread

it's the cd rlm thread all over again

there's a bunch of people who actually dislike ghostbusters 2016 but the entire thread is right now arguing with misterbibs and corn got probated for calling misterbibs an idiot.

Why the gently caress is misterbibs protected there for derailing entire threads with trolling/stupidity and calling him out is punishable. :wtf:

lol yeah dude what did I say, never post in CD, not even once

MisterBibs is one of the dumbest people on earth and he's like the baseline for discussion there

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zmej posted:

Can we just post about tcc until the next marvel movie comes out to disappoint us?

You're making the assumption that any of us are actually excited for yet another marvel movie

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

oh lord.........

ugh

nope not pretentious at all

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't mind Jack. He's all right.

If you want to see an annoying friend of an internet celebrity just look up Mike Matei

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Firefly was a pretty good show that got cancelled. People just get really annoyed by it because its fans act like it was the best science fiction show ever made when it wasn't.

Maybe if Firefly has lasted more than one season, who knows, it could have been. Or they could have driven it into the ground like most sci-fi franchises. Nobody knows.

It's nowhere near as important and influential as something like Star Trek, Star Wars or Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Apparently Whedon's Wonder woman script consisted of horrible sexism lol

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/joss-whedon-wonder-woman-sexist-screenplay/?fb=dd

Man it doesn't even seem that bad and that dude just bends over backwards for the woke crowd and they still poo poo all over him. I really don't have strong feelings for or against the guy but jeez you just can't win.

• Locked thread