Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A movie entirely made up of disconnected scenes of rape; forced auto-cannabalism and drunken piss covered debauchery?

*Goons knock me over to get into the peepshow*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Its okay to feel things when watching a movie that I have deemed good so you are in the clear.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Go emoji movie go!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I miss when you would lie to me about things like this thread.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I feel It's like Mike was saying that its harder to improvise a comedy sci fi moreso than him saying it wasn't possible.

Much like Mike I am not gonna bother to go back and check the script.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wait, what? Since when were the Ghostbusters role models for anyone? Peter Venkman was a creep and a conman, Ray was a manchild, Egon was an emotionless weirdo and all of them were just in it for the money. Winston was probably the only decent human being in the crew and he was still just in it for the money. They didn't bust ghosts out of the kindness of their hearts, they just wanted fame, fortune and pussy.

Seems like you answered your own question here.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think we need a new thread title.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

Also I choose to beleve that the director had no control over the inclusion of pringles in his movie because that is way funnier and implies the actors coulda just slowly snuck the props and setpieces from the original ghostbusters onto the set day by day and totally got away with it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One time I read a biography of John Candy and it had a whole chapter about how if you crossed him he would get all quiet and tell you that he was putting you in John's Gallows and then he would never speak with you again.

I remember even as a babby being all "What a loving goon."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually dont buy the whole "The original was so good that no matter what a remake/sequel/unterseaboot would be hated" because when has that actually been true ever?

People want to like things. They want to like things that they have liked before. They really do.

So make them something good instead of bad and watch as they like the thing they liked before.... again!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can't wait for Mike to re-boot the plinkett cinematic universe with a soft-sequel to his Ghostbusters 2016 review. It will have a lot of the same story elements as the first mr plinkett's Ghostbusters 2016 review but it will also have some of the same actors making cameros so it will technically still be in the original Mr Plinkett Timeline (TM)(Copyright 2018)(Reserved)(PatentPending)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Yaws posted:

Jack is also the only person on RLM with the stones to denounce the Nazis in Charlottesville. He's OK with me for that

Jack is definitely a moron but he has always been a moron with his heart in the right place and that is what really won me over on him. Someone mentioned a few pages back that RLM newbie they introduce hates jack instantly and that's because jack hate it like RLM fan level 2.

Josh hate is level 10

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

What level is Mike hate

Nobody hates mike.

Also lol if you find Jack Packard to be an intelligent person. I actually give the mofo my time evry week watching pre-rec and even I don't actually think there are any nuggets of wisdom to find to say the least.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

wtf is wrong with your brains that you're watching pre-rec?

I am all outta roads and at the end of my rope.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Just wondering... what do people think of Freaks and Geeks? If we're supposed to take that one line from the GB review seriously, Mike either doesn't like it or seemed pretty indifferent towards it.

I still remember it being the underdog TV show that nobody watched but was so drat good. I'd like to give Apatow most of the credit. But looking at the credits for each episode's director and writer, it's hard to not say Feig was more responsible for making that show what is was.

I guess the lazy narrative would be that F&G was ancient history and that he let his craving for Hollywood power come to his head.

Alright, whatever. It's been years since I sat down and watched the whole show; maybe it's not as flawless as I thought it was.

I meant to respond to this.

Freaks and Geeks falls into a category of internet love that I term "Coulda been" where most of the enjoyment comes from imagining the potential future outcomes of the really good setup episodes. From what I remember I thought freaks and geeks was genuinely decent but nothing special. Firefly is also in this category and I point to Serenity as my evidence that season 2 of firefly would be loving terrible. There isn't a movie equivalent for freaks and geeks but I assume they woulda hosed it up somehow.

As to why nobody is talking about it when mentioning fieg successes; it got loving canceled.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Wait till I get caught up on all my hot takes re: ghostbusters 2! I need more vodka first tho tbh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Firefly owns. :colbert:

Oh noooooooo it might have hypothetically gone bad in hypothetical Season 6.

loving goons. It was a miracle that it got a movie at all!

Killing everyone is not a miracle! (I <3 you wampa)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A good deal of thought went into this

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually didn't dislike season 1 of firefly it had some great moments. Lemmie think of some right now.

I liked the ship and the set they used for the ship.

I liked the dumb mercenary.

you can't take the sky from meeeeee

I think I totally skipped some train robbery episode and I feel happier for it tho

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

bloom posted:

Train robbery episode wasn't that bad. The one where the doctor gets kidnapped by some hillbillies and the brothel shootout episode were the real stinkers from what I remember.

I don't remember any of this lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Firefly was a lot better when it first aired and felt really original. Which explains why over the last 15 years or whatever every show has ripped off every idea Firefly had, so now it feels hackneyed and unoriginal.

Also, Whedon wrote a great 2 hour pilot and filmed it, but then Fox said gently caress you and your show, now you have to write an entirely new opening episode and try to reintroduce all your characters and premise a second time, but it still has to make sense chronologically after the pilot in case we change our mind later. That's how we got the train robbery episode. Considering the circumstances it was pretty good.

what are some shows that ripped off firefly.

Is it just the bit about the noble prostitute; respected and feared by all in space society? that was always pretty lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why the gently caress is everyone talking about firefly

I set a trap and it sprung perfectly. Now instead of mocking CD we are working our way to making light of TVIV

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
When I quit twitter its gonna be for real.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Can we agree there are plenty of great sci-fy with some that aren't even set in space and that hardcore fans have a tendency to ruin the shows to new comers due to their evangelical zeal?

Joss has a pretty good record but he seems to do the best work under some of external restrain or adversity. He isn't that great if not terrible when given what is a near infinite budget as it lets the worse of him come through. Dollhouse sucked hard and LOL buffy with it's teenage BS.

Please enjoy what has to be one of the golden age of TV where can watch what you want, anywhere, any time, regardless of year of broadcast, on just about any device that can play video with recommendations tailored to your preferences.

Given this is one of the worse time-lines I can see what he is getting at.

From a science fiction perspective westworld and lost both sucked sorry.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Which would you prefer a long post about

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the right answer btw

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm not ignoring Paladinus every one of his opinions is precious to me.

As are all RLM posters. Yes even that one.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oohhboy I have the exact opposite feeling where from a tv-show perspective lost was really good except it was a good drama with light hearted moments and not a good science fiction. The end sucked to be sure.

Westworld on the other hand I think is pretty much entirely rote garbage.

Here is the beauty of it tho! I still think you are really fun and cool Oohhboy it is great that we have diverse opinions here because honestly none of it matters! :hfive:

Edit-

I hosed up your name when writing this and im man enough to admit it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Even if you think the plot was rote garbage you cannot deny the excellent execution and master-class acting. It is not often you want a character to show up just so they can talk with other characters or just simply monologue. That mid season reveal had me going "HOLY poo poo".

I'm glad the actors are working their hardest!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Actually this is the first good page this thread has ever had. Don't gently caress it up!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

But enough about Sherlock

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thanks for respecting my wishes everyone.

• Locked thread