Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

whoa he's really crankin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Randarkman posted:

Is ring theory the thing they do in CineD? SMG always seemed a bit crazier than that to me.

No but it uses some of the same lovely logic.
Only have watched first 40 minutes but the part with how the prequel defense isn't about the characters or emotional movements or traditionally "enjoying a movie".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Andro Dunos posted:

I'm kind of surprised Mike didn't point out how Rey is basically a Mary Sue character who is good at everything, even force tricks, without any training.

oh boy here we go

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

reignofevil posted:

Its called.... Cinemasins :smug:

I watched the two "Everything Wrong With 'Everything Wrong With _____'" videos by shesellsheshells
I ended up blocking cinemasins channel so that youtube would never recommend me about him.
Cinemasins has no business as a film critic, his jokes are terrible, he's too stupid to follow a marvel movie...
I think the worst part is how he censors his swears but talked about jacking off and cumming to Black Widow, who he also was constantly negging and poo poo talking. This is pretty much the face of youtube movie criticism, and this poo poo far FAR shittier than anything RLM has ever done misogyny-wise since cinemasins is sincerely a creep.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
fine whatever
i thought it would be safe to say "i experienced youtube channel indirectly and didn't like it" in a red letter media thread, and i don't see how "smug shithead makes bad jokes" is "fun", but whatever, dont want to argue. I especially don't want lets play forum drama dragged in. next thing you know someone is going to pop up and start explaining that the prequels were actually good movies unfairly criticized and also bring up some other board drama.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
and yet misterbibs is still allowed to post there

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

FedEx Mercury posted:

You can't trust the YouTube dates they have been reuploaded many times. The episode two review went up late 2012 (I think) and the episode 3 review was less than a year after that.

According to this and my memory, ROTS was 2010.
Then there was Indiana Jones, Titanic, and some commentary.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Junior Jr. posted:

I re-watched the Revenge of the Sith review last week, it was great like the last time I saw...all except for the ending.

They made a royalty-free special edition ending and it doesn't feel the same. :(

Now I really miss blip.

what did they remove from the youtube version

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I don't think Rey was a Mary Sue and don't really think it would be a problem if she was anyway but don't really care enough to argue. But I also thought the gbs consensus was against the Mary Sue thing because max landis said it first and no one likes him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
again max landis made a tweet about it and everyone rushed to make fun of him for it and go boy max landis sure is dumb and tweets dumb things but now everyone's forgotten he first postulated the "rey is a mary sue" theorem and everyone's fine with it now

so is slenderman, apparently, i was unaware that everyone loved slenderman and that he did things too well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Rey not wanting to do the force stuff or go on adventures is a JJ Abrams inversion thing

Where they're taking plot points wholesale from a movie and then reverse some of them. Example: what if SPOCK yelled KAAAHN this time.

Luke wants to live Tatooine, Rey wants to stay on "Tatooine". They're similar characters who want opposite things.
It turns out it's a terrible idea and makes her less interesting but they weren't thinking of that.

The inversion thing is a really stupid practice and it's an excuse to be even less original than they'd be otherwise eg, they're not making up a new thing and thinking through how it works, the entire point of doing it is still motivated by what the original did.

I remember seeing several other things that were "Let's do the opposite of something the first Star Wars movie did and say we're being clever" but I can't really remember them well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Why doesn't a force user just sit behind some sturdy metal and fight by levitating a hundred glowing lightsabers around, like this but with lightsabers

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Baronjutter posted:

Are all these comic book movies only fun for people who grew up with those comics and have a ton of familiarity and nostalgia for them?

Have you tried looking outside the forums or talking to people outside about them

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Baronjutter posted:

Are there any ladies involved in red letter mediums or is it all just nerdmans?

there used to be

they are gone now

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

a bone to pick posted:

lol how broke-brained and empty-souled can you be to not like zootopia?

Cined hates it because it didn't teach everything they think about communism

I'd like to the times when they ruined the relatively sane and chill animation thread but I'm on a phone
But K waste and smg started crying when people actually tried to enagage with them and someone started talking about how persecuted smh and k waste are by unintellectuals and no one else's posts were worth reading.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Buschmaki posted:

I read some theory that stated "Star Wars is really about slavery if you think of droids as people." but they aren't!

Uh even if you think of the droids as people Star Wars is really not about them, they're barely part of it

Like the droids condition as tools never changes ever, and no character thinks about it because they're too busy doing Star Wars

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
star wars discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9ksYF1ZRs

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
are you just making funny titles up

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I do not like pineapple on my pizza but it's okay if you do
they are nice separate.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well if you're not stopped by crippling social anxiety or something, then just make the videos. What is there to lose? People upload the stupidest poo poo to YouTube all the time so your video won't be the worst thing on it, and in fact will probably gain a small audience.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I mean you won't be able to use footAge from the shows due to draconian copyright takedown measures enforced by robots to n the interests of corporations but adding them in would be effort anyway, which YouTube rarely rewards

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

reignofevil posted:

I like The Venture Bros and am decently warm to Benedict Cumberbatch how will I feel about this 'Dr Strange' movie.

Also lol firefox says Cumberbatch isn't a word and I think it is probably in the right on this one.

What does venture bros have to do with this
I was not expecting an Orpheus movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If it's just kind of Trippy and not some radical two hour black light poster and it doesn't compare to gaurdians of the galaxy then it's probably totally lame

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yes let's make this thread about the election too
Everyone's shocked at the outcome but I think our new president Mike stocklasa might actually work out for the best

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

a bone to pick posted:

That movie was very disrespectful to wiccans.

No one should respect wiccans

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Mr. F! posted:

What's red letter media and why does gbs always have a thread about it

this is a good introduction to what rlm is

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Zzulu posted:

Guys if you like moving pictures, go watch Westworld

It's better than most movies

Can you say what's good about it exactly

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'll have to put VVVVVVitch on my to watch list, but now I'm not sure whether to watch it or VVestVVorld

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

quote:

American Flatulators... takes the wind out of their sails
:laugh:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Sfdebris is an imperfect reviewer but he tries to be insightful, actually pays attention to the content he watches, and he's very humble and kind.

I've met at least three people who said voyager was the best Star Trek, some of whom when pressed said it was because the captain was a woman, so I support his endeavors in providing another perspective

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'll try to get to see the movie
It sounds like the new team going "gently caress you lucas, THIS is what we wanted out of a Star Wars prequel."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Frozen is a better star wars story than Rogue One.

Where does guardians of the galaxy go

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Different people like different little aspects of Star Wars and when they think of something like Star Wars theyll see different things.

Honestly the thing that makes Star Wars and not just a space movie is if the force actually feels mystical. This is one reason why empire is my favorite.
Prequels failed there despite featuring Jedi but they turned it into generic organized religion, gotg just had the infinity stone crossover macguffin that all marvel movies have... tfa is a good start towards what I want.
But to others there's other factors that play in that make gotg more of a Star Wars movie... for instance it might have tried a little hard with its humor at times but it was trying.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I don't wanna babble, I wanna die

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Mordja posted:

I hope RLM covers another Netflix series because I want to hear them tear apart [i]The OA[/], that lovely loving piece of poo poo.

Someone spoiled that series in a cspam thread I read and the summary made my eyes roll so hard that I saw my brain

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

8-Bit Scholar posted:

...yeah, I'll bite. I want to read this spoiler.

this is the post i read

warning: spoils EVERYTHING

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
There's a seven minute miniplinkett on rogue one

I've also seen rogue one now
I kind of feel more like the hitb review where they were like "I want to like the movie and don't get why I don't", and the review didn't really prepare me for how brutal it is when they kill everyone. Everyone I went with hated it because it they aren't all that into Star Wars and thought it was depressing

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
that "documentary comment", forget the cgi characters apparently some people don't realize Star Wars is not loving real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
are they just going to talk about rug one the entire january

• Locked thread