Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
What's wrong with your pooooooooooost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

My day to day routine has sure Ben Hur-tin without GBS and this thread!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

psyman posted:

They're a group of grotty poorly-dressed slobs. They appeal to the same quality of people and I'm sick of hearing about them on the net, the popularity is kind of depressing.

I didn't know Jay actually posted in RLM threads!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

I heard on their livestream that Jessi will be back on screen in their next video

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

It's all true and none of it matters.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

e_angst posted:

Man, the comments on the Plinkett review are depressing. It feels like ever since they went out against Ghostbusters, a bunch of alt-right shitheads have decided that they are fans (even as RLM's videos call them out for being shitheads).

You just reminded me of the part with all the made up youtube channels and i laughed all over again. that part was hilarious, i'd watch reviews from "every movie is terrible"

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

it didn't have any of the violence against women the previous Plinkett reviews did

i reverse my decision. this new video was garbage.

oh wait, the pizza phone scene kinda redeemed it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

More like ring piece theory. Because the prequels were total rear end.

When he first said "ring theory" in the video i prepared myself for imminent goatse and was honestly surprised that it didn't happen

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Berious posted:

It makes the film great because you noticed it and popcorn sucking plebs didn't. That alone justifies your 3 years at film school and crippling debt with no obvious career path

um excuse me but posting 12 hours a day in CinD is an extremely good career path

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So who are these scarlet letter folks? Some of them were goons? What's the backstory?

classic gilchrest

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

8 track betamax posted:

Been thinking about it, and....unfortunately, 10 months is a long time in the world of online media consumption and most of Plinkett’s gripes with the movie are well-trod territory. The first 45 minutes is spent on the Disney buyout and the farfetched “Ring Theory,” all so he can ultimately say Force Awakens is too similar to the A New Hope. He then spends the remainder of the review claiming that diverse representation on film doesn’t matter to kids and people in Star Wars should have sex more, which certainly represents one school of thought.

The criticisms of the producer’s allegiance to the fandom and the Disney-fication of Star Wars are valid, but if Plinkett wants these reviews to have the same bite as the old ones, maybe he should get them out a little sooner. Especially with a whole new Star Wars film waiting around every corner.

Yeah but did you see the part where he listed youtube channels

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Just gonna drop this here.. I didn't realize how old some of the original Plinkett stuff was. I also didn't realize that Crystal Skull came out almost a decade ago.
Date Title
2008-12-12 Star Trek Generations
2009-05-06 Star Trek First Contact
2009-06-10 Star Trek Insurrection
2009-08-13 Star Trek Nemesis
2009-12-10 The Phantom Menace
2010-04-03 Attack of the Clones
2010-05-21 Avatar
2010-06-17 Baby's Day Out
2010-09-01 Star Trek 2009
2010-12-31 Revenge of the Sith
2011-06-24 Cop Dog
2011-12-22 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2012-02-10 The Phantom Menace Commentary Track
2012-08-04 A New Hope Commentary
2012-12-09 Titanic
2013-03-04 Star Trek V Commentary

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

im v. upset about youtube upload date accuracy.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

dreezy posted:

tom cruise is also a manlet.

Its cool that you have this one characteristic to latch onto. It makes you seem very secure and not at all fragile

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

it also helps when you have a director who knows how to direct actors and actresses into providing compelling performances.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Manlet spotted.

Embarrassing, lazy, pointless, bad. Dsmp.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

There is a scene where Rey meets Han Solo. She mentions that she thought Skywalker was just a myth. Han Solo says that everything she heard is real. It's not that far fetched to assume rey knew much of what had happened before but had always assumed they were fairy tales. After realizing that the events she had learned about were real, she may have realized what she could be capable of doing. Granted, this is a lot of "off screen" assumption but since it's star wars it isn't that far fetched. When i saw the scene where she mindtricks the storm trooper into releasing her straps, i immediately thought she had just heard of the mind trick in the stories, possibly even obi wan's quote about how The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded

anyway that's way too many words about star wars

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

A 7 foot tall blonde woman in a bob cut. I know so many people who look just like that.

but she never takes her helmet off :confused:

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

I haven't seen Force Awakens and I don't believe all these Mary Sue things actually happened.

people are mixing up mary sue with that other movie element discussed in the original phantom menace review: the protagoneist

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Junkfist posted:

Rey is a Mary Sue.

spoilers?!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I dont like thing

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Not just demolition man, man.

im afraid you may have bad opinions

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

FedEx Mercury posted:

I liked the new Spiderman from Civil War, I would definitely go see a movie just about him and his hot aunt, and for the record I hated Amazing Spiderman and didn't even bother with the sequel.

for all that was expected of them (the actual people who worked on the movie, not the characters in the story) civil war was a pretty competent movie, compared to DC's offerings this year

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

powerful sex moves posted:

no way in hell am I gonna be conned into seeing those stupid things anymore.

i don't believe you

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I watch all the marvel movies at home on the TV

You are absolutely right. These movies are designed, from editing, sound design, visual aspects, casting, and story type (how serious or deep to take the script) for a movie theater experience. By themselves they are ridiculous, with far-flung plots and simple morals, and a small screen and speakers lose a lot in translation.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Adventures of young Lando is the only spinoff I want to see.

This is where you've gone too far.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

The most realistic part of the show is all the robot butcher janitors that want to daterape the robots

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

I didnt realize dolores was the same actress that was in across the universe

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

They must have had a horrible theater experience because i barely registered a lot of the stuff that seemed to grate on them. The ATST didn't even jump out at me since they just explained the empire had locked the city down due to recent attacks. Most of the complaints seem to have been explained at some point in the dialogue. The only parts that i disagreed with was having c3po and r2d2 as well as the 2 bar guys in the movie at all. They could have been absent with no impact to the story. Also, the test audience was dumb for demanding the lava vader scene. It would have been fine to keep vader in dialogue only or have him on the death star or imperial shuttle. Lava vader was some prequel callback nonsense. If they really needed extra vader they could have had him murder forrest whitaker before cassien could, making him second guess his orders in the rest of the film.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think it's a bit sad, actually. When the AT-ST showed up, I saw it as "oh poo poo, reinforcements are coming, ya'll better run" and an escalation of tension to close out of the scene. They see it as a lingering shot of a fanservice robot that serves no greater purpose.

Yeah that plus the haste in which this episode was put out makes me think they either read too much online griping about it or their screening just had that many insufferable fans in it. I felt a little adrift for the first half but as the movie got focused towards the end I enjoyed it more and more, though Leia was a bit ham-fisted. also i thought the asian duo could have been used much better throughout the film, but their ends were kind of lackluster. the robot seemed to have the best fleshed out story arc, oddly enough, whereas i've always hated c3pos story arc

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

All movies are fan service, when you think about it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

The blind monk was cool but poorly used, I thought he would have copied Obi wan's roll in a new hope and have to walk around a platform flipping switches quietly, then end up in an unwinnable confrontation and sacrifice his life that way. i also thought captain would have stayed outside to do the wires and such, in a han solo type roll, but i guess that would be too much copying from the originals.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, let's listen only to what alcoholics and children have to say about movies.

:yeah:

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

loot crate really is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. "oh gee, it's a box full of random poo poo I don't want that no one else will want either."

That, and I don't even really particularly care for everything that's popular right now. I haven't seen a single episode of game of thrones, I'm sick of superhero poo poo and I think doctor who is a load of fuckin' garbage. I'm not into harry potter because I don't have a vagina.

That, and I have so much nerd poo poo, sometimes I have trouble getting rid of it. I'm already drowning in cheaply made memorabilia. I suspect that the people who get stuff like loot crate are new to this whole thing and want to have a bunch of worthless poo poo too so they can be "cool". Oh hey, I have a Thanos (TM) Infinity Gauntlet (TM) oven mitt! Awesome, right?

edit: I forgot, I wasn't be obnoxious enough, I meant AWESOMESAUCE instead of awesome

How are you posting from 2010?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

priznat posted:

I have heard he wishes he was a baller.

I wish!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

It's like someone is holding a mirror to GBS

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Was Stardust in the last decade? That movie is great.

2007, so while not this decade its about 10 years old. Great movie, too.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Just when i thought sa couldnt get any deader or gayer, the rlm thread has people bitching about call me maybe like its reddit 2012.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Seriously tho, they should do a HitB about La La Land, that's a movie I desperately want to see Mike and Jay talk about.

Have i got a surprise for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Musicals are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abn6cPxrc5w

• Locked thread