Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Uncharted sucks, Alien Isolation owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I think it's great that little girls want to dress up as an officer in a genocidal fascist organization who has no character outside of her costume and dies by getting thrown in the garbage

They just tied her up off screen IIRC, she's going to be a bigger deal in the sequel. I predict that they'll take advantage of the fact that we never saw her face to have her "surprise" audiences as a secret covert agent or something like that.

I think the review's main thesis is that now Star Wars has been handed over to a vastly worse entity than Lucas, which is weird in a way because Lucas whored out the franchise too. That said, it is a bit worrying to see Star Wars taking the Marvel movies treatment and I think the overall point that Disney being in charge leads to these "Design-by-committee" moments that are pretty blatant.

It IS fan service, because fan service sells, and that's all this now, it's something to sell. It's a mathematical formula meant to derive a larger set of numbers from a smaller set and creativity, artistry, storytelling and cinema are all effectively secondary to that. Plinkett is spot-on with his take that TFA is a more cynical movie than the stupid, goofy, kooky prequels. Not in the fact of its story or characters, but in the very design of it. Its manufacture.

That's what the review seeks to tackle and I think that's a much better and broader point than "TFA is kind of mediocre and teh villains make absolutely no sense."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Played by Gwendoline Christie, so it's not like they're going to sneak her 6'3" rear end in as a spy anywhere.

They can sneak it into

my heart

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blunderstorm posted:

So no hot jay cummies?

They have something even better.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ka0 posted:

I wish I could make star wars and harry potter disappear from the Earth.

Say what you will about Harry Potter, but Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them at least looks and sounds like it's its own story and its own thing. It isn't a secret Voldemort origin story or the adventures of Harry's dad or anything like that, it's a wholly new adventure in the Wizarding World.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

I am confused by how a masculine, handsome tough bad-rear end like Snake can be potentially gay while being surprisingly quiet on the 'not-gay' front.

Wai--

Metal Gear Solid 1 has a case of the not-gays be an integral gameplay element.

Actually it sort of does it twice.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Solid Snake waits for Raiden to be naked and cold before informing him that he never runs out of "ammunition".

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Finn because he didn't feel like a fanfiction rewrite of an existing character. It's nice to see a black male lead who is an unabashed dork and not really particularly great at anything, but he's got his heart in the right place.

The movie felt like a really simple script, but if they don't gently caress up Episode 8, I think there's plenty of neat directions they could take it. I like not knowing where the characters will go, precisely--I feel like Finn will become a sort of dashing rogue in the next one, Poe will be a bit more of a hardened fighter pilot, the two team-up often, and Rey will become more mysterious and aloof as she unlocks her force powers.

Rey becoming a villain under Luke's tutelage would suck though, it basically would show that Luke was never supposed to take up the mantle of Jedi Master because every one of his students went evil. UNLESS they show he had a bunch of students who are all Jedi in various corners of the galaxy, which would also be cool.

I'm glad to have Star Wars' universe "alive" again for lack of a better term, but it will suck if it just becomes a soulless marketing exercise. I want more video games, good video games, that let me explore new corners of the galaxy and meet weird aliens and not be written by Bioware.

EDIT: what the gently caress happened to my avatar

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am kind of surprised the guys were so down on Rogue 1. I had friends at the theater who also said they found the first half boring, and I definitely didn't, so maybe I'm just easily entertained? Either way, I thought this movie was a much more fitting and appropriate prequel than any of the ones we got, and it had the grit and detail I'd been dearly missing from Star Wars. Also, unlike TFA everyone's motivations are clear and I felt like I understood why everyone was along for the ride.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry guys the next Star Wars movie will be great

I hear its about Booba Feet

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's called mass effect

Mass Effect is definitely more Star Trek than Wars

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
All I want to come of R1 is a future Star Wars film to be basically a space kung-fu movie. Since Master Ip died, they should get the guy from Ong Bak to play a lowly Jedi kung-fu protege who has to defend his small farming village from evil in the super mega space tournament.

Climax is when he uses the Force to catch a lightsaber blade in his hand.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Technically they are AT-ACTs different, weaker model.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eSporks posted:

A star wars 7 Samurai might work.

I guess my notion is that the emphasis should be martial arts moreso than saber duels. The lightsaber at the end would be drawn in a treacherous final duel with the villain, like in that Bruce Lee movie with all the mirrors.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's a bit sad, actually. When the AT-ST showed up, I saw it as "oh poo poo, reinforcements are coming, ya'll better run" and an escalation of tension to close out of the scene. They see it as a lingering shot of a fanservice robot that serves no greater purpose.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

So al the Star Wars are a long time ago really far away. but like what's going on today?? what about modern star wars?

Turn on the news.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

The opening crawl is going to slowly evolve from "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" to "A time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" to just "In a galaxy far, far away". But then the star wars are going to get closer to Earth as they keep fighting, and it'll be "In our galaxy right now".

This would be kind of cool, actually, but it'd also be relentlessly stupid.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It might make an actual interesting story for once if they dealt with something that is actually alien from other galaxies instead of a galaxy that is basically a 1000 person town where everyone knows the skywalkers and each movie is a family reunion.

The EU did this, Chewie got crushed by a moon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

Makes sense, but Rich seems to get a sad face every time it happens and it makes me wish Mike could pick on Jack or Josh or a Canadian sometime.

Rich's face naturally bears a sorrowful countenance, for indeed he bears the weight of all mankind's sins.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Someone spoiled that series in a cspam thread I read and the summary made my eyes roll so hard that I saw my brain

...yeah, I'll bite. I want to read this spoiler.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does the OA stand for anything?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

The context thing was a really good Plinkett-type criticism. If the movie more or less works with the given context, and would be a bizarre mess without, that means Disney is borrowing against a finite (albeit renewable) resource.

I guess, but it feels a bit pedantic here. I don't really think the Force requires an explanation in R1 and that's the only major setting detail that isn't either explained or readily apparent. I get the insistence that the movie should be able to stand up on its own without context, but I simply don't think that's strictly true. The film is a "Star Wars" story and given that a massive list of Star Wars films that do exist, I think that the setting doesn't need rehashing and explanation every single time it is introduced.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Hahaha, lol.

Rogue 1 is not innovative, and honestly RLM has a point, its getting a free ride from a lot of people based on the star wars name alone.

You know what was great about it? There was maybe thirty seconds' worth of lightsaber. That's what's up. No more "lightsaber in every scene" goddamn stupid poo poo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know, it is sort of strange to suggest to your audience that they are stupid for disagreeing with you. I feel like this is the sort of thing that RLM has mocked in the past.

Like, I don't hate Rogue 1, I don't hate RLM, and I don't really have any strong opinion besides mild surprise that they are so vehemently opposed to it. Yet their tone of both of these videos has been very negative towards their viewers. Only vapid idiots would like Rogue 1! I feel like I'm being insulted for doing nothing.

I guess if I watched as many movies as they do, instead of like, two films a year, maybe I'd be sufficiently jaded?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never realized Rooster Teeth had become so transparently garbage, but it's not like they've ever been known for their integrity or whatever. They made silly cartoons using Halo and then ended up collaborating with the developers of Halo to make MORE silly cartoons using more Halo. I guess that sort of partnership/sponsorship didn't bother me though 'cause it sorta makes sense, Bungie was obviously flattered by the popularity of RvB and them reaching out felt genuine.

I never cared about any of their other stuff, but drat it makes me sick to see how far we done fell.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care about sponsorships generally, unless it affects content in a negative way, but i'd never loving sign up for something as useless as lootcrate. I have enough junk in my house as is.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

reignofevil posted:

Philosophically speaking Richard "Ching Chong that's how they talk" Evans is on the record saying he intentionally made the bit as racist as possible because he was tired of being expected to prank call these numbers and knew it would make it stop.

Which is the most Rich Evans thing ever now that I think about it. I give this white man a pass for exploiting racial misunderstandings to get out of doing hard work.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would rather believe that a sheltered Milwaukean nerd unintentionally did something offensive and later on tried to come up with some puppet master excuse about doing it on purpose, than he intentionally did something offensive because the RLM crew is so dysfunctional he couldn't just say "yo I don't want to do prank calls anymore"

Who cares though

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I would honestly be kind of into a solo Obi-Wan Kenobi movie. Ewan McDonald was the best part of the Prologues and I think he could carry a whole film if it was a totally stand-alone, swashbuckling Jedi adventure.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The issue is is that the Matrix has this script just bursting with double-meanings and religious allegories. There's tons of philosophical back-and-forths in the original Matrix, and it's clearly a meditation on the nature of reality, religion, man's place in the world and the consequences of our actions thus far, just as much as it is an action movie. It has a script that's really smart, and is communicating ideas you'd never in a million years expect to see in an action movie that sold itself on slow motion.

It's a visual tour-de-force with a pretty cool story to go with it. The logistics of human-batteries aside, the purpose of the story is clear, and there's multiple layers to be peeled apart and examined in many of its various and iconic scenes.

The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were like that except that they fired the guy who made all the words sound nice and now you have a five minute monologue by Colonel Sanders that is both literally and figuratively meaningless (communicating nothing except for the implication that Jesus and his Apostles were the original incarnations of the One, something already suggested by the first movie). There's no depth, there's no substance, and by the end the plot's gone totally off the rails and there's a Dragonball Z-style punch fight in some city someplace.

The Animatrix is the sequel that the Matrix truly deserved: a series of thoughtful, interesting and of course visually striking short stories that all helped explore some of the deeper concepts at work. The way reality functions in the Matrix is toyed with; the history between men and machines is explained in lurid visual detail, and above all pretty much every story in it is kind of its own thing. The One is important, but there's more to the world than just his story.

They try to expand their own vision themselves and somehow failed miserably.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Revolutions was about how all the other movies were actually pointless.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Speed Racer is a truly outstanding film.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Eisenberg's Luther seemed like the type of guy who'd never sit still, so I could totally see him just staring impatiently at all these superhero files he has, waiting for some scheme to unfold, and making logos for them to occupy himself.

Of course, small character moments like that, maybe even humorous little asides that reveal a little bit more of who these characters are, well...if there had been things like that, BvS wouldn't have been such a garbage movie.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Overwtach would be best broken up into several spin-off IPs, frankly. You could have a movie telling the original Overwatch and Omnic war story, while spin-off games and comics explore contemporary stuff.

Like I don't care about movies (gently caress movies) but if they really wanted to do something fire with the brand, take Tracer, put her in a side-scrolling Metroidvania game and expand her time and mobility powers out to facilitate a ton of great gameplay challenges. Feature Widowmaker as a cameo boss, a bunch of giant mechs and a throwaway plot to facilitate a bunch of boss fights, have it end with a surprise appearance from Reaper and a big battle with a "I'll catch you next time, Gadget!" ending and boom. Money.

Sell it for thirty bucks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
oh gently caress i gotta go buy loot boxes

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

Man of Steel was the worst for Pa Kent basically telling Clark he should be an Randian Ubermensch and not to inconvenience himself rescuing his lessers

Sad thing is, this interpretation makes the most sense after BvS just got dumb with it all, but when Man of Steel was just by itself, I kind of liked that Pa Ken was a voice for "selfishness" within Clark.

Superman is a complicated character in a lot of ways, and he's a character who has been written and portrayed in a lot of different ways. When Superman "goes bad" he usually does so by embracing his godlike status or else abusing his powers to ensure his morality is enforced absolutely. Red Sun is a very good example of this.

Pa Kent telling Superman that he doesn't have to be the hero, he doesn't have to save people, he could just hide it all away and live whatever life he wanted, seemed at first to be touching on that nerve, suggesting to Superman that he may be better off--the world may be better off--if the lid on that box is never lifted, and Superman never comes to be.

It's not hard to write a good Superman story, I really don't know why they don't just pay Grant Morrison to write a script.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Kill Bill Vol. 1 is just plain excellence from start to finish. It's an excuse for Tarantino to film a dozen scenes in a dozen different genres and stick them in one movie. Just enjoy how loving great every shot is. The only real flaw is that all the action is front-loaded and the second movie is a much slower and talkier production. I think that's intentional though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't he be bi?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why is so much of the RLM thread spent wildly speculating about the inner philosophies and sexual mores of a bunch of Midwesterners?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah and then they completely butcher them in the edit.

This. I refused to see Suicide Squad on the principle that I wanted to see David Ayers' Suicide Squad, not whatever patchwork nonsense the theatrical release was. Is there a director's or original cut on the DVD/Blu-Ray release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
No, Mel Gibson is a loving lunatic, but he's good at directing.

...didn't South Park make this joke?

• Locked thread