Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Their group discussions are almost like having real friends

Yeah, you can put one of their videos on in the background and it makes your house seem a lot less lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

MGSV has some great gameplay but boy howdy does it get old and start to turn into a slog after a while. It's definitely my least favorite Metal Gear game.

You would seriously rate V lower than Ac!d 2?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berious posted:

They are right though msgv had cool open world grounded gameplay then out of nowhere space vampires and mechs our some silly poo poo in the cut scenes. Then they ran out of ideas and added the mechs to gameplay and I got sick of it. Maybe it makes sense if you've played the series but for a newbie it was like paying one game and watching a totally different game's story. Also the opening was terrible and self indulgent

Out of nowhere some mechs? Did you go in literally never heard of Metal Gear before?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berious posted:

Yeah never played the series before

OK, but MGSVTPP was the seventh Metal Gear Solid game. They have robots and the plots are a mixture of serious stuff, silly stuff, and silly stuff you're expected to take seriously. It's been that way since MGS1. Complaining about it is like me picking up Animal Crossing New Leaf and being all, "What's this furniture and houses poo poo?!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear isn't dumb, it's good. Better than comics, even

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish how he had gotten more into how Disney is trying to get Star Wars into every aspect of your life, in a really unprecedented way. Every Marvel thing has a Star Wars reference. There was one in Luke Cage, one in Civil War, multiple references in every season of Agents of SHIELD.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't want to admit how far I got into the list of YouTube movie reviewers before I realized he was making some of them up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

They have already reconned major things and they will be making it up as they go along. Comics are largely convoluted so I don't know why people care about continuity, as opposed to things like books or remakes.

The thing about the Marvel universe is I don't care. I think knowing what will come out years before provides the incentive to lose interest as much as it builds interest.

What have they retconned?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

Ultron for one.

Expand on that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

Tony Stark didn't make Ultron.

what?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new review made fun of triggers and had the racist joke, but at the same time it didn't have any of the violence against women the previous Plinkett reviews did

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randarkman posted:

This is probably just me getting old but in particular I find that the bits with "funny" and/or "exciting" stormtrooper kills and such (Han using Chewie's crossbow, the traitor guy easily being killed by Han, phasma in the garbage and all that) to be kind of off-putting, especially in an adventure movie like this that isn't like gory or shockingly violent. I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me as opposed to how over the top death and gore scenes can be funny in something like a lovely horror movie. In the original trilogy the stormtroopers were essentially henchmen to be killed, but the movies didn't treat them as essentially a joke (even though their marksmanship became one outside of the movies). Anyway I dunno really, but it feels really off to me, and I think the same thing kind of bothered me in the Hobbit movies as well.

Because they humanized the Storm Troopers. One took his helmet off and became a character. One died smearing blood on his friend's face. Even the way that one Storm Trooper said "traitor" had more emotion than you saw from any Storm Trooper in the first trilogy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are they serious about droid rights?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This might not be a fair assessment, but the way that supermechagodzilla guy writes makes me think that he fantasizes about keeping women's heads in his freezer but doesn't have enough IRL self-confidence to actually be a serial killer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't deal with that CineD thread anymore.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weird BIAS posted:

Are the prequels a hugless universe?

Anakin gave his mom a quick hug before leaving her to a life of slavery

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSlam posted:

Wasn't that Pictures for Sad Children guy?

No, the Achewood guy set up a monthly subscription thing where'd you get extra content, and then started doing way less content for free to get more people on the monthly subscription. Then he started going months without putting up any new content for anyone, and kept taking orders on his webstore without ever actually sending anything out.

The Pictures for Sad Children guy did a Kickstarter for a book, sent some of the books out but then said he wasn't going to send any more because he didn't like money, and burned the rest of the books.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

All webcomic "artists" are deeply mentally ill

I mean, they are webcomic artists

What about the guy who does Tomo-Chan?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

Rey should become a half-jedi half space angel and block death star attacks with her lightsaber and get a hoverboard and do oilies off of the Millennium Falcon while chopping troopers in half and be president of the galaxy.

What if Rey's secret isn't that she's Luke's daughter, what if she's actually Buster Machine 7?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FedEx Mercury posted:

I'm having trouble imagining a Disney movie where the princesses have their tits flopping out.

Maybe if Disney ever made a female character as strong and empowered as Noriko they'd get a pass on showing some titty

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vegg220 posted:

Thanks for the kind words. If you think rey is a Mary sue it's almost certainly because you're mad about a female protagonist in a film who doesn't take her shirt off.

Maybe The Force Awakens isn't that well-written

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Star Wras 7 isn't as good as Terminator 2 or Aliens for a lot of reasons, and the quality of the mian character is one of them

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think there's anything inherently sexist about a woman being a mom

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

have you ever been mistaken for a mom?

I'm not a woman

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rey sort of sounds more like a modern teen anime protagonist. Is she sort of emotionally and socially awkward, though?

That raises an interesting question. The First Order Stromtroopers have been totally dehumanized. Their names were taken away, all they do is fight and follow orders. All they know is the First Order, they don't have access to culture. Has anybody tried singing to them?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordArgh posted:

hack writers: hmm, we need to come up with a sci fi sounding name. what are some sciency words? photon? plasma? i've got it! "Phasma"

It's a reference to Phantasm

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

Actors act on and off the screen.

We all wear masks...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Light Gun Man posted:

Why can't he do both?

In the comics he does.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it'd work as a full-length feature film, maybe as just a part of V/H/S 7 or something

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Deadpool, I'm glad it did well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slanderer posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about? No one knows what Wright's version was, beyond some vague statements

Wasn't one it said by someone at some point that Marvel wanted to make Antman tie in to the other movies more, and Wright opposed that? So the Antman vs Falcon fight

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignofevil posted:

What if there was a law saying that anybody who wanted to make a remake had to beat the biggest grognard nerd in a trivia contest about the subject.

You could end up with stuff like The Watchmen. Getting the minutia right doesn't mean you get the heart

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Fifth Element really seems like a movie it'd be better to make a fraudulent too-late sequel to than remake. It's a movie set in a huge interesting universe that could have tons of other crazy poo poo happen, and it's not like it'd be hard to get some of the original actors back.

Not saying it'd be a good film, but I think even audiences would rather see "more Fifth Element" than "Fifth Element again, but lamer".

It would be perfect for one of those things where they take an existing script and just slap the name on it, as long as the script is an adaptation of something that was published in Metal Hurlant

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

powerful sex moves posted:

Or we're just sick of them because they're just empty pointless popcorn movies and there are only so many times we can get excited about a blue laser shooting into the sky?

If only there were other movies you could watch

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I hope they keep making those movies for so long they start making movies that are completely impenetrable unless you've seen the earlier movies. I want ABC to start making all their shows technically set in the Marvel Cinemantic Universe, even if there's usually no way to tell.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dreezy posted:

I hate superheroes. my department at work is being forced to dress as superheroes for halloween and I'm torn between crimson bolt and orgasmo.

Let me make up your mind

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

I like that most video game movies some how have even worse plots and writing (and even acting) than the games they're cribbing.

They're making a live-action Great Detective Pikachu movie

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh boy, Josh talking about a movie I've never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Their staff is Rich, Mike and Jay. Josh and Jack don't get any RLM money.

good

• Locked thread