Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who are the two sub-nerds who do video game reviews? One of them is in other stuff and can be funny but there's like a bald alien dude who lacks character but maybe he's ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He is a kind, gentle man

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

powerful sex moves posted:

People with no sense of humor, such as the people posting in the thread devoted to comedy movie reviewers RedLetterMedia (who are also pretty sick of this poo poo, incidentally).

I was waiting for this answer, they always say they like the movies and that they're competently made, they just have superhero fatigue which is understandable considering how many are being squirted out every year. Its why Jay and Mike have good opinions, and are funny, while you are not.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I agree with that though. They're enjoyable but I'm just real tired of them. A lot of people feel that way.

edit: perhaps you are confusing me with the dude who is saying they're terrible movies and everyone who likes them is stupid?

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 12, 2016

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

edit: perhaps you are confusing me with the dude who is saying they're terrible movies and everyone who likes them is stupid?

You're right, sorry.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Baronjutter posted:

I saw one of those comic book movies on a long flight, it was poo poo and I never want to see another.

A too-big cast of characters with seemingly random but also extremely mismatched powers (some people have actual extremely powerful super powers while others have the ability to be "very pretty" or "good with a bow and loving arrow") fight some robots and then a bunch of slavs fly up in the air and need to be rescued and then the robot is defeated. Every scene was a contrived set piece to either show off so much action and CG you go numb from it, or a bunch of "cool quips" between characters to show how cool and quippy they are. Absolute trash, but god drat do they shovel a lot of those. Every time I walk past the theatre it's something like "MARVEL'S AGE OF ICE VS DC" "Captain America 5: The Hulk Insurrection" "AVENGERS ULTRA: The Winter Spidermans" "A bunch of garbage with a stan lee cameo 12: Keep buying tickets for this trash you loving man-children". It all blurs together like someone's putting comic book names and characters into some random plot generator then throwing hundreds of millions at it.

You're not wrong though personally I think the blandness is more attributable to Hollywood's stranglehold on any hint of creativity. It would be easy to flesh these characters out into distinct figures but they won't because Hollywood doesn't know how to do that anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone gone so far as to make a movie that is both fun and full of exciting action while at the same time isn't total garbage?
Why can't things have the same tone and quality as say, Fifth Element?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

You're right, sorry.

yeah you better be.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

You're right, sorry.

also because of robots your IT job is gonna disappear and you're gonna be dead.

:<

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Baronjutter posted:

Has anyone gone so far as to make a movie that is both fun and full of exciting action while at the same time isn't total garbage?
Why can't things have the same tone and quality as say, Fifth Element?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of these things is not like the others

One of these things is not the same

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blazing Ownager posted:

One of these things is not like the others

One of these things is not the same

Two of those movies lack DiVito

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

You're not wrong though personally I think the blandness is more attributable to Hollywood's stranglehold on any hint of creativity. It would be easy to flesh these characters out into distinct figures but they won't because Hollywood doesn't know how to do that anymore.

Marvel superhero stuff on Netflix is honestly far, far, far better at this than in the movies. I think the lack of a huge budget means they don't have to, well as the guy said, fly up and punch a bunch of robots facing a blue light in the sky.

Baronjutter posted:

Two of those movies lack DiVito

:bravo:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

also because of robots your IT job is gonna disappear and you're gonna be dead.

:<

I hope I die sooner then.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Commando is the best Arnold movie because he starts killing people like 10 minutes in and just never stops. Total Recall and Predator are great and all but they have a lot of buildup and not enough ruthless killing so they're not as fun to rewatch.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I've never been so triggered by all the numbing action movie chat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Or we're just sick of them because they're just empty pointless popcorn movies and there are only so many times we can get excited about a blue laser shooting into the sky?

If only there were other movies you could watch

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

nah but don't you get it he sees posters of them sometimes when he walks by the movie theatre THEY'RE EVERYWHERE THERE'S NO ESCAPE

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They should do a special best of the worst of hong kong action movies and racist rich evans sats something about chinese people.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Here's a hint to enjoy modern movies, subscribe to the youtube channel wutangcollection.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Schweinhund posted:

Commando is the best Arnold movie because he starts killing people like 10 minutes in and just never stops. Total Recall and Predator are great and all but they have a lot of buildup and not enough ruthless killing so they're not as fun to rewatch.

Commando is also the best because it has the best puns and one-liners. Who could forget Sully?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was just saying why I personally don't care to see them anymore. Why is this so upsetting to some of you?

CharlestonJew posted:

nah but don't you get it he sees posters of them sometimes when he walks by the movie theatre THEY'RE EVERYWHERE THERE'S NO ESCAPE

Again, confusing me with another poster.

I was replying to the guy who said the only people who don't like Marvel movies are humorless jerks and I was just saying actually some of us are just tired of them?

Totally unrelated but, finally saw Neon Demon the other night and it owned. Jay is right about everything always.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Commando is also the best because it has the best puns and one-liners. Who could forget Sully?

This ones from The Running Man and I use it on a daily basis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVibtTjReu4

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fav part from running man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BJvzM9A-Q

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Chiming in with my opinion that nobody asked for to say that I'm also starting to waver in my enthusiasm for more Marvel movie stuff. I've enjoyed just about all of them and they were entertaining and fun movie experiences, but I find myself rarely wanting to watch them again. I like Guardians of the Galaxy but that's because it's a crazy space opera and I like the weird universe that it depicted. It looked a lot different from the other MCU movies, and it could've worked as its own thing that wasn't tied to the MCU. Doctor Strange looks interesting because it also looks a lot weirder and different from the usual MCU stuff. But as far as the "mainstream" MCU goes (Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, etc.), I'm getting a little over it.

In their latest video, Jay and Mike speculated about how this year or the next will be the point where people start getting superhero fatigue. Jay seemed skeptical because people have been saying that for years now. But really it's been only the MCU movies that have carried this genre for so long. Before the first Iron Man movie came out in 2008, you probably would've predicted that the superhero craze was dying down because the third installments of the two most successful superhero movie franchises (the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies and the X-Men movies) had both been kinda lovely, and just about every other superhero movie that had come out over the past few years was also underwhelming (the Ang Lee Hulk movie, Daredevil, Catwoman, the Jessica Alba Fantastic Four movies, Superman Returns, Elektra), with the exception of Batman Begins. So in late 2007 you could've looked at all the superhero movies that had come out and been like "Yeah, this fad is starting to fade". And then the next year rolls around and Iron Man does gangbusters, followed by The Dark Knight which was tremendously successful, giving the superhero genre a shot in the arm.

But since then, it's really only been the MCU that has been unambiguously successful, both critically and financially. Everything else is either getting critically panned or flopping outright, and the value of those IPs is dropping. I could be wrong but it seems like fewer and fewer people are excited for the next X-Men movie or the next DC movie. Fox has the Fantastic Four which is freaking useless at this point, and Sony is doing this Spider-Man movie with Marvel Studios in hopes of saving it. So without the MCU, the superhero movie fad would have gone away by now. And if people starting getting tired of the MCU brand, that's that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If even nerds are thinking theaters are totally over-saturated with this poo poo we're probably at the tail end of a fad. Hollywood loves fads they can bank on and direct 100% of their energy towards, then once people get sick of that poo poo they'll declare the very concept of motion pictures are dying, probably due to piracy, until the next big cash cow fad comes out that they then miss the point as to why it was popular and commit to cargo cult produce 10 more over the next 5 years.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Everybody watch out because the next decade of hollywood schlock is gonna beeeeeeeeeeeee

*spins the wheel*

Detective movies!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I miss the the 90s fad of making movies out of old-rear end TV shows like The Little Rascals and The Munsters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a bone to pick posted:

I miss the the 90s fad of making movies out of old-rear end TV shows like The Little Rascals and The Munsters.

Aren't they making a new Lost in Space?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Good a time to re-post this as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0C_Dnt7k_0

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Aren't they making a new Lost in Space?

Oh right, I guess they never stopped, I remember some lovely land of the lost movie with Will Farrell.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I hope they keep making those movies for so long they start making movies that are completely impenetrable unless you've seen the earlier movies. I want ABC to start making all their shows technically set in the Marvel Cinemantic Universe, even if there's usually no way to tell.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I hope they keep making those movies for so long they start making movies that are completely impenetrable unless you've seen the earlier movies. I want ABC to start making all their shows technically set in the Marvel Cinemantic Universe, even if there's usually no way to tell.

A show about a pregnant teen and her friends and family and occasionaly aliens and robots blow poo poo up in the background

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I hate superheroes. my department at work is being forced to dress as superheroes for halloween and I'm torn between crimson bolt and orgasmo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dreezy posted:

I hate superheroes. my department at work is being forced to dress as superheroes for halloween and I'm torn between crimson bolt and orgasmo.

Let me make up your mind

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think I read somewhere that Hollywood is trying to prep Videogame movies as the next big thing if it becomes clear that Comic movies are starting to die down. If that takes off you'll know for sure Movies are dead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

khwarezm posted:

I think I read somewhere that Hollywood is trying to prep Videogame movies as the next big thing if it becomes clear that Comic movies are starting to die down. If that takes off you'll know for sure Movies are dead.

I like that most video game movies some how have even worse plots and writing (and even acting) than the games they're cribbing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hollywood is currently developing a Tetris trilogy. Also a Play-Doh movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

I like that most video game movies some how have even worse plots and writing (and even acting) than the games they're cribbing.

They're making a live-action Great Detective Pikachu movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

reignofevil posted:

Everybody watch out because the next decade of hollywood schlock is gonna beeeeeeeeeeeee

*spins the wheel*

Detective movies!

A bunch of Disney executives are now figuring out how to shoehorn $200 million of CG into a Dick Tracy remake.

• Locked thread