Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

priznat posted:

The only reason Pacific Rim robots needed two synced up pilots or whatever was to enable the tragic backstory and romance aspects, right? Could never really figure out the reason for that (and the really inconveniently placed manual controls)

The synced pilots thing was a way to have the characters bond on an intimate level and show backstories, yeah. And establish the technology so Charlie could get memories from the monster. Are you asking about the in-universe explanation? They said that linking to a Jaeger put too much strain on one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Star posted:

Pacific Rim was good but I had a couple problems with it. First, i thought it was kind of boring how all of the kaiju had the same origin. They were all just monsters created by the same aliens for the same purpose. I like it better in the Godzilla movies where you have a bunch of different monsters that all came from different places and have different goals and personalities. Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidora, and so on. Second problem was that the main protagonist was kind of boring.

You get that most Godzilla movies have him only fighting one monster, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Star posted:

No poo poo. But a few movies have multiple monsters and he's shared movies with Rodan, Mothra, anguirus, etc.

LOL I like how you tried to be condescending, too. Goons are such chodes.

It's pretty rare for a Godzilla movie to introduce more than one new monster. So "this 60 year old movie franchise with dozens of installments has more monsters than this one single movie" is a weird critique, imo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oohhboy posted:

I remember people were chopping them up for fertilizer and parts to study in the middle of the city. I remember nothing about them being radioactive death.

Their blood is toxic, their poop was great fertilizer

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

I look forward to watching it on Netflix when it comes out, since it will cost me nothing.

I'm honestly a little worried how many movies Netflix had to promise to give Jaden in exchange for Will Smith saying fairy lives don't matter on camera though.

Maybe the flop of After Earth and getting shot down when he tried to ask for money for ID4 2 made him realize he ain't the hot poo poo he used to be

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Light Gun Man posted:

I was hoping Valerian would make an assload of money and that somehow resulting in us finally getting a (probably terrible) live action Space Adventure Cobra movie.

If Valerian was a hit we'd get a live-action Incal movie that would be just as faithful to the source material as the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the design for the army of faceless mooks the Justice League will fight

Why are all these movies so loving ugly?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's what the boom tubes look like? That's really disappointing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chris Pratt did this in like six months after getting cast as Guardian of the Galaxy

Justice League is Gal Gadot's third appearance as Wonder Woman, and she hasn't put on a pound of muscle. If anything she's skinnier than she was in Wonder Woman. What the gently caress?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Entropic posted:

What's with every trailer now having like a five second trailer for the trailer before the trailer?

That's helpful if it's on Youtube. Let's you know that it's actually the trailer, not a reaction video or god help us a fan-made trailer

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Oquendo posted:

Geoff Johns fuckin loves Cyborg which is why he's been shoving him down our throats ever since he got the keys to the DC Kingdom.

Cyborg has had his own series once. It lasted 12 issues. It was part of the new 52 relaunch, in which they guaranteed that every new comic would run for at least 12 issues.

WampaLord posted:

The Justice League movie version of Cyborg feels like a cheap way to cash in on Iron Man at this point, particularly since he has a version of his costume that's just fall on armor with no skin showing.

The Iron Man armors look good. They have big patches of bold, contrasting colors that show up well even from far away. And they have clear, not overly complicated designs, so even the armor that's just silver still looks good.

Compared to that the Cyborg design is a loving mess. It's extremely complicated, with tons of details and weird textures, and it's all gray. Plus an amorphous red glow about the torso. It's like one of those live action Transformers, but with a human face floating in it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yug posted:

Fit women don't get big and bulky unless they're taking steroids. She should definitely hit the gym though.

women can actually achieve visible muscles without steroids, Yug

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Crabs posted:

I think if I'm going to extend my disbelief to "Zeus King of Gods created Wonder Woman" then I might forgive her not looking toned enough when she moves something.

Do you guys that whine about this have a muscle woman fetish or something because it makes no sense why a greek god would need to hit the bowflex before a fight.

That P90X routine is what makes the difference in lifting 30 ton weights over your head.

Then why is Superman muscular? Or Thor?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Because it's a power fantasy for young men.

Rich Evans laid it out well in one of the HitBs about either Man of Steel or BvS, Superman is just a 6 year old's idea of being in charge. "You can't make me go to bed, I'm Superman!"

Then why doesn't Wonder Woman get the same treatment?

Space Crabs posted:

because they choose to be?

They're fictional characters portrayed by actors in movies made by massive corporations. Thor and Superman are huge because patriarchy prizes power and physical strength in men but not women.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Man, I'm actually a Whedon defender and even I'll admit Age of Ultron was not good at all.

this is a super nerdy complaint, but I think the worst part is how it made Hawkeye a family man. Ruling out a Hawkeye solo movie based on his most popular comics which are all about him being an aimless fuckup.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Nah, that was the best part.

I don't even remember what the point of it was in the movie. Standard movie structure demanded the Avengers be at a low point so they go hide in a farm house but then the family makes them want to fight the robot again? Also to make Black Widow feel bad again for being a monster who can't have kids?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Entropic posted:

I'll buy a drat Justice League DVD if there's a special feature that's just the whole movie but Henry Cavill has a mustache.

They'll probably put a piece of green tape over it to make it easier to CG out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

it was extremely cool to see the fish aliens use pirate tactics and also when the giant rear end ships 9/11 eachother was boss

That's a A Star Wars Story I'd watch, a space Aubrey-Maturin movie about a fishman captain and an Imperial captain doing space battles

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Old Star Wars was good because it was borrowing from old serials. new Star Wars sucks because it's just borrowing from Star Wars. Go back to the roots and start ripping off old good stuff but IN SPAAAAAACE. Aubrey-Maturin but Aubrey is a fisman and Maturin flies a new kind of X-Wing. Wages of Fear but one of them is a robot. Slacker but in Mos Eisley

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

At least Rogue One tried ripping off old war movies.

It did?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, it's The Dirty Dozen and The Guns of Navarone IN SPAAAAAAAACE.

E: Well, it's also Saving Private Ryan in some aspects, but older movies are also there.

I can kinda see Guns of Navarone in that characters have to blow something up that's related to a big gun at the end, and everybody dies like in Saving Private Ryan, and The Dirty Dozen in they are both movies featuring multiple characters, but that still seems like a stretch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

It isn't a stretch at all. Those films are direct inspirations.

If they were so inspired by those good movies, then why is Rogue One bad?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

plseae stopp talking about star wars!!

Im so tired of the star wars!!

i CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE

Are you excited for next year's Mazinger Z reboot?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it was an intentional weakness, why did the guy design it so it was a shot that literally required magic to pull off?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Untitled Han Solo Movie is absolutely gonna make the Kessel Run line a factual statement instead of bullshiting potential clients, isn't it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Best of the Worst page on the RLM wiki hasn't been updated since 2014

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

What is Rich Evans then

A real human boy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Death Wish remake should be set in Iraq, about some Iraqi dude going all Death Wish on ISIS

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clawtopsy posted:

all i know from the trailer is it had L doing public speaking and getting super angry about stuff

and light is unambitious and needs misa to lead him into things

and ryuk tries to goad light into using the notebook

i wonder if the potato chip scene will be in it

The thing that makes the original manga good is the relationship between L and Light, and the well written cat and mouse game between them. If you change that it's gonna suck

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The last one featured Mike having trouble with the fact that Star Wars cast black people in prominent roles.

I think the problem is that since he's a fat white drunkard in Wisconsin, Mike doesn't have the vocabulary, or the class consciousness, or the whatever, to properly articulate the criticism. But he's completely right. The fact that there is now an Asian female X-Wing pilot isn't going to be inspiring to the 14 year old Vietnamese girls Disney pays $1.17 an hour to make t-shirts featuring that character. safe, focus-grouped "representation" in hundred million dollar movies makes some people feel good, but it doesn't actually do anything about systemic racial inequalities in America or the world.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they played Splatoon yet?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Finn going to be a coma the whole time in the next movie? I mean, he could be and it's not like that'd be a big loss. He's a lovable goofball but they're all lovable goofballs. You don't really need a comic relief character in the new trilogy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I the only one who thinks i'ts weird that there are three big budget Lego movies about bad dads?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can think of a ton of exceptions

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine if there was a live-action Outlaw Star but there were no spaceship fights, the characters were boring, the plot wasn't good, and there was a weird pro-confederacy vibe to the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joss Whedon is bad at characters and dialogue

• Locked thread