Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
vacations are measured in quarts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Haifisch posted:

That's probably why she feels like neither of them really knows each other. She can't just ask him to have conversations about things, he should just know what she feels is missing in their relationship. Cue cycle of being upset because other people aren't mind-readers.

Really though, :laffo: that she turned a cool trip into crying because she was hell-bent on swimming all the time and...apparently not wanting to do anything else or go anywhere that's not a swimming spot?

When my wife's (then fiance) father was dying he reverse-spent some of his life insurance to take us to Hawaii because he loved it so much. His (golddigger) second wife's idea of a good time in Hawaii was lying by the pool all day and ordering room service every single night.

I guess some people are just like that? :shrug:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

Shitposting live from Istanbul! So I thought, why not search for that?

He's used to loads of money and free time. I'm not.

Boyfriend paid for vacation, and she only got two days of swimming and they had to stay in Kosovo for a few days ugh!

(In the comments she complained they ‘didn’t go to nice places’)

she keeps saying it's not about the money and she just wanted 1 on 1 time but like what about all the time they spent traveling together, does that just not count for reasons? I feel like being stuck on a plane or train or bus with someone is some of the best time to just chat it out, and they had that in spades. Did she only have conversations in mind that could be had in resort pools?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

ArbitraryC posted:

she keeps saying it's not about the money and she just wanted 1 on 1 time but like what about all the time they spent traveling together, does that just not count for reasons? I feel like being stuck on a plane or train or bus with someone is some of the best time to just chat it out, and they had that in spades. Did she only have conversations in mind that could be had in resort pools?

She is a dolphin.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

just usual Swedish sadbrains. If it's not warm and doesn't have a beach, it's not a vacation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bored posted:

She is a dolphin.

Mermaid?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
He told her "free vacation to a foreign land" and she immediately started imagining Paris or Milan but then he took her to Kosovo. It's totally on her for not being clear about her expectations and a free trip is a free trip but I'm nearly certain that's why she's dissatisfied.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ravenkult posted:

just usual Swedish sadbrains. If it's not warm and doesn't have a beach, it's not a vacation.

I couldn't find the original reddit post, so maybe it's an old one, but Sweden just had the hottest May on record, and June has been fairly warm too, it's not like she couldn't sit in the sun or go swimming here. Even in normal years you can be out swimming in a lake all summer if that's what you want. :confused:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Jim Barris posted:

He told her "free vacation to a foreign land" and she immediately started imagining Paris or Milan but then he took her to Kosovo. It's totally on her for not being clear about her expectations and a free trip is a free trip but I'm nearly certain that's why she's dissatisfied.

It wasn't originally a free trip, she saved up and also used her (limited) time off work for it.

He only offered to pay for it entirely after he realised how unhappy she was with what he planned for them.

Still a mystery why she had zero input into where they went, though.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I was going to say something about needing to be in the water to speak, so that her clicks and squeaks could be heard correctly, but maybe mermaids are also only able to converse correctly under water as well.

If this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry. I haven't been able to sleep.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
How the gently caress have you been with someone 4+ years and still feel like you don't know them? You don't need to have exclusive 1 on 1 time to get to know someone (though it is important). That doesn't make any sense to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bored posted:

I was going to say something about needing to be in the water to speak, so that her clicks and squeaks could be heard correctly, but maybe mermaids are also only able to converse correctly under water as well.

If this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry. I haven't been able to sleep.

In Harry Potter anyway, but no one cares about that now. It's okay, we're all in the same boat.

Ouhei posted:

How the gently caress have you been with someone 4+ years and still feel like you don't know them? You don't need to have exclusive 1 on 1 time to get to know someone (though it is important). That doesn't make any sense to me.

But you like, don't KNOW know them

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HazCat posted:

It wasn't originally a free trip, she saved up and also used her (limited) time off work for it.

He only offered to pay for it entirely after he realised how unhappy she was with what he planned for them.

Still a mystery why she had zero input into where they went, though.

he probably asked what she wanted to do and got "i dunno lol" one time too many.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

That girl who burned her stuff to get the message across to her mother she was serious about her privacy owns.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LadyPictureShow posted:

Shitposting live from Istanbul! So I thought, why not search for that?

He's used to loads of money and free time. I'm not.
Boyfriend paid for vacation, and she only got two days of swimming and they had to stay in Kosovo for a few days ugh!

(In the comments she complained they ‘didn’t go to nice places’)

TL;dr: she sucks because she’s not willing to see some awesome places when she has the opportunity and sounds like a whiny little girl, buy guy is bigger villain because he’s more concerned about His world map having mor “I’ve been here! Pins than what she wants. But poo poo, another of my loving walls of text, didn’t realize it was this long.

First, gently caress her in the ear when she says she didn’t go to nice places.

Sofia is loving great and easily the most interesting, coolest, nicest, most fun city I’ve been to in Eastern Europe, and I’ve been to quite a few (granted, it was only for three days, plus I haven’t been to Prague, which I’ve heard is amazing). Dubrovnik is awesome but only if you can tune out all the loving Game of Thrones crap stores and only when the cruise ships aren’t in (so early morning or evening; not sure if they have an off season), but during the day you can even skip the mobs if you hop on a bus or a tour to Kotor in Montenegro for a day trip. I haven’t been to Belgrade, but I’m going to overly generalize and say it can’t be too different from Zagreb, which is a nice place to visit for about two-three days. On the other hand, I think her boyfriend could at least have accommodated her a bit and while in the area gone to Split, where I think they have a nice beach.

Still, if he’s looking for awesome places for an “experienced traveler” like himself to visit, why not have just stopped in Istanbul for her sake, which is just amazing for anyone except the most timid traveler, or as I hear an American these days? (Answer below.)

Boiled Water posted:

he probably asked what she wanted to do and got "i dunno lol" one time too many.
And that “I dunno” was probably a passive-aggressive “I already loving told you what I wanted and because we’re not doing it I’m just going to sulk.”

But underlying all my contempt for her inadventurousness and whinyness, it sounds like this guy is a total dick and the villain of the story. He knows she never gets to take vacations, but on the other hand he’s the sort of guy who would take the three hour round trip boat trip, which has nothing interesting to see except for a rock in the water with some penguins, that leaves from Iceland (from Akureyri?) just so he could tick off “Arctic Circle” on the list of places he’s been. Why go somewhere like Iberia, where I’m sure he’s already been, maybe several times? I bet he’s been to Turkey and that’s why staying in Istanbul instead of flying through it was off the list of options.

He’s heard what she wants, and why, and how infrequently she gets any travel time, but he says gently caress that and decides to tick off a few more boxes on the list the number of places he’s been instead, and let everyone know what that number is, instead of at least talking with her beforehand and asking her to do a 50%/50% split on what they do during their vacation.

She made what she wanted pretty clear initially, it seems, and paying for the whole thing is no compensation for using the only time you can get off without your kids to get your self centered rear end in a top hat boyfriend to drag you to places you never wanted to visit.

Relationship court judgment for the plaintiff in the order of 35 public beratings of the defendant “always disregarding what she wants” and “ignoring what she says.” Court is now adjourned.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 27, 2018

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I couldn't find the original reddit post, so maybe it's an old one, but Sweden just had the hottest May on record, and June has been fairly warm too, it's not like she couldn't sit in the sun or go swimming here. Even in normal years you can be out swimming in a lake all summer if that's what you want. :confused:

IT'S NOT HOT ENOUGH UNLESS YOU GET 2ND DEGREE BURNS

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Posting separately because last one was already too long by a lot.

quote:

I've been feeling that we really don't know eachother since we rarely have alonetime and if we do, he always suggests activities so that we can't talk. Like the movies, seeing his parents, going to parties, playing badminton. It's nice, but by now I'm frustrated that I don't really know very much about him and he does not know a lot about me. So - in january, I told him we need to get to know eachother.
Well, she knows a lot more about him than she did before.

My wife and I sreem to argue or be in bad moods more on vacations than during ‘regular life’ — bad sleep, tension headaches (that I paradoxically get from constant ‘real-world’ stress suddenly being relieved), being hungry without knowing it and burning lots of calories from activities/walking/swimming/whatever, trying to find vegetarian food when you finally realize you’re hungry & grouchy & headachy, etc. Any trip with your partner (and only your partner, not a group trip) lasting at least a week or 10 days will tell you everything you need to know about your compatibility. Harder to arrange in the US unless you have the right jobs but should be mandatory before entering holy wedlock or holy bedlock.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I like badminton, it's like tennis but you don't have to move as fast.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dudeness posted:

I like badminton, it's like tennis but you don't have to move as fast.

I'd like badminton but it's apparently illegal to talk during

guy sounds kind of inconsiderate but tbh she sounds like she doesn't actually have any interests or curiosity about anything whatsoever, and it's impossible to accommodate people like that unless you want to resign yourself to a life of Netflix and chicken tendies. the right move is to quit trying to make her have fun doing things with you and set her free to be among her own basic kind.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
but her entire thing is that she's curious about him?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if she were curious about him in the sense normal human beings mean "curious", she'd probably have learned a thing or two during the four years he's been trying to get her to share in his interests, socialize with his friends, meet his family, etc?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm genuinely curious about what their relationship is like, on a day to day functional level. I say this because you find out about people in the gaps between activities. You don't chat about your life during the game of badminton but when you're chatting on the way there and back. Do they schedule badminton for 3pm, both turn up separately, curtly nod to each other and commence playing then leave separately?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I get believing in demons as a concept because there's a whole lore surrounding them that's been around for thousands of years, but thinking demons are targeting you personally is just narccicism. Yeah man Satan totally sent his unholy minions out to Nowhere, WA to give one dumb rear end in a top hat the Three Teeny Scratches of the Damned.

At least with haunted houses the ghost is just a thing that's hanging out for anyone to encounter and not a high-level mob that comes after you specifically if you accumulate enough Jesus points.

Maybe demons are like internet trolls: out to cause grief/gather lulz rather than target specific people?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

vacations are measured in quarts

It’s too bad she didn’t speak up - Eastern Europe has some wonderful lakes and swimming holes... outside the cities is cool forests.

It’s too bad she has an abusive (AKA non mind reading) BF :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

four years he's been trying to get her to share in his interests, socialize with his friends, meet his family, etc?
Him trying to get her to do stuff isn't in the post at all. She says the opposite, that he avoids talking and makes plans where they can't talk.

Aramoro posted:

I'm genuinely curious about what their relationship is like, on a day to day functional level. I say this because you find out about people in the gaps between activities. You don't chat about your life during the game of badminton but when you're chatting on the way there and back. Do they schedule badminton for 3pm, both turn up separately, curtly nod to each other and commence playing then leave separately?
I think if one person is naive/inexperienced or autistic or something, it's really possible that conversation is kept to surface day-to-day stuff: look at that flower, I need to improve my badminton serve, what's the plan for Wednesday night, do you have the kids this weekend, have they brought up their test grades, etc.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Gonna repeat that just the long trips themselves are a great time to talk and I find it hard to believe she had a reason other than sulking for not discussing whatever it is didn't want to discuss when they were going from place to place.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ouhei posted:

She traded her voice to the sea-witch Ursula for two human legs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The post specified the travel was overnight. Presumably they were sleeping.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You can never converse at a party, while travelling, while engaged in any one-on-one activity, or at a dinner with family, the only way to really get to know someone is to be locked together in a featureless white room with no other objects for 72 hours

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

The post specified the travel was overnight. Presumably they were sleeping.

The whole loving time? No way.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Anne Whateley posted:

She's ready to know what the people know

Ask em her questions

And get some answers

What's a fire and why does it

what's the word?

buuuuuuuuurn

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Anne Whateley posted:

I think if one person is naive/inexperienced or autistic or something, it's really possible that conversation is kept to surface day-to-day stuff: look at that flower, I need to improve my badminton serve, what's the plan for Wednesday night, do you have the kids this weekend, have they brought up their test grades, etc.
Yeah I think this is possible and, if it's bad enough for one party to describe things this way without immediately realizing they are wrong, their conversations must be REALLY banal. I can't imagine dating someone for 4.5 years and feeling this way, it's maddening, but I believe her.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can believe a Redditor failing at a basic level of human interaction also

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Look if you guys had to go through five years of straight badminton with no water breaks you'd want to spend some time swimming too

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Him trying to get her to do stuff isn't in the post at all. She says the opposite, that he avoids talking and makes plans where they can't talk.

For 4 and half years? With the person you sleep with? Wait they post on Reddit, fair enough I can see it now.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Wife (37F) wants me (38M) to talk my cousin (38F) into letting her son (13M) go to a beach party at night after he tried to lie about it and no adult supervision because he's the new kid at school and she won't listen to me when I told her to but out.

quote:

u/28x17
My cousin, Emilia moved cities about two weeks ago. She's bought a property here for herself and her children to live in, but while it's undergoing renovations she's staying in the guest house in my backyard. My wife and I (together 12 years and married for 9) have been at odds about my cousins parenting choice that happened on Monday evening.

Her oldest son, Clarke, has been fitting in pretty nicely at his new school. Clarke has been talking for about over a week about a party he was invited to. He initially told us that it was just a small gathering of friends on a Saturday night at a friend of his house by the name of Jake. Monday evening he was talking to myself and his mom when he has his first slip up in a lie when my cousin asked for Jake's parent phone number. He responded by asking who Jake was. He tried to fix it by saying it had been a long day, and he will go get the number for her from his room.

He came back 20 minutes later and asked if he could speak to his mom alone. The gist of what happened is that he came clean about his lie. He said there is no Jake for his mom to phone. He said that his friends wanted him to come to some beach party their parents were fine with them going to. He said he knew she shouldn't say yes, so he tried to lie about it. He felt bad about lying do decided to come clean. She told him he's drat right she wouldn't let him go to a beach party until early in the morning with no adults. She told him that he was to stay home and she doesn't want to hear anymore lies.

My wife heard Emilia chewing out Clarke for trying to pull a fast one on her and later that night spoke to me about it. She told me she felt bad for the kid because he just wants to fit in at school, and have fun with his new friends. She felt that because he came clean on his lie that he should be allowed to go because it's a 15 minute walk from our home to the beach it's happening at. I told her that we should really stay out of this because we're not his parents. I added that I honestly agree with my cousin. No kid should be wondering a beach at 3 am. She told me she agrees, but thought it's a bit harsh. She was trying to convince me to talk to Emilia about just letting him go and calling him every hour or so. I told her that I wouldn't do it, but she she should do it if I don't, because she knows how hard it is to be the new kid. I've told her to drop it and yet, she's adamant about it. How do I get my wife to drop it?

TL;DR: My cousins son got caught in a lie about where he was going. He turned out to be intending to go to a beach party with no adults until early in the morning. He's been forbidden to go, and my wife wants us/me to talk my cousin into letting him go because he knows how hard it is to be the new kid.

Your wife should butt out and your cousin’s son needs to remember to tell the same lie twice.

Milotic fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 27, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Milotic posted:

Wife (37F) wants me (38M) to talk my cousin (38F) into letting her son (13M) go to a beach party at night after he tried to lie about it and no adult supervision because he's the new kid at school and she won't listen to me when I told her to but out.

Your wife should butt out and your cousin’s son needs to remember to tell the same lie twice.

This guy basing his fake-name choice around his obvious crush on Khaleesi is really messing with my ability to take this story seriously

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Milotic posted:

Wife (37F) wants me (38M) to talk my cousin (38F) into
This is literally all you need to know before properly replying no to the wife.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Selkie.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Milotic posted:

The answer should be no, but mainly because the lying sucked.

Many times, I told my daughter when she was growing up, “Sweetie, I’m not really that bothered that you lied to me. I’m more bothered that you didn’t put any effort into it but still believed I was dumb enough to fall for it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good god travel lady is insufferable.