Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not allowing daughter (17F) to attend parties?

getting arrested for underage drinking at a bonfire is probably the healthiest way to get arrested. i can't even imagine what kind of square rear end cop would arrest someone for that. oh a bunch of teens are drinking natty light in a field? ten years hard labor, all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

You can wring your hands about my posting all day, thus simulating the experience of actually working

lol no wonder you haven't been posting lately if this is the best you can do

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

luxury handset posted:

getting arrested for underage drinking at a bonfire is probably the healthiest way to get arrested. i can't even imagine what kind of square rear end cop would arrest someone for that. oh a bunch of teens are drinking natty light in a field? ten years hard labor, all of you

mandatory MADD propaganda class even though none of them drove there

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Araenna posted:

Yeah. Like, unless I stayed closeted and never transitioned, I'm gonna basically look like a TERF's strawperson of a trans woman. Literally there was one going around recently that is basically me. I'm not gonna keep myself closeted because I might make other trans people "look bad" to people who already hate trans people. Instead, I'm going to exist as myself and bigots can die mad about it.
Hey, nothing wrong with transitioning later in life. gently caress the haters, you be you.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not allowing daughter (17F) to attend parties?

I am not that horribly strict! I just keep my daughter in a remote location and refuse to let her go to any social events I deem improper for a lady of her stature!

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
i [30f] gave my boyfriend [40m] a shirt and now it's all he ever wears

quote:

i'm going to start saying that boyf has a brain disorder. i say this bc it has colored our relationship and it makes it hard to ask others for advice, since i can't disclose this info to people who know him. our... our ages are slightly different than what i said on here. i'm sorry. i'm younger, he's older, he's probably a predator kind of person (and we get a poo poo ton of Looks about this) or whatevs, but i don't want to think about it, i am genuinely in love with him.

so... basically, while we were going through a really rough patch in our relationship (he was drowning in this really heartbreaking, imaginary scenario where i "schemed" behind his back to cheat on him w a friend of mine), his birthday came up. i got him a plaid shirt. a while after that, we started to fix our relationship, and he came out of the brain disorder closet w me. that was about 2 months ago. he hasn't. stopped. wearing the shirt. like, maybe he's worn something different once or twice, but it's always the same plaid shirt. he looks nice in it, and it's lovely that he likes it so much, but... but i don't know what's happening. i don't know how to ask "hey, you're wearing the exact same clothes every single day, what's going on".

i am concerned. i'm worried this is going to end up not being cute like his "cigs and coffee hardass macho man diet"... which turned out to be all he consumed daily, w exceptions. now i make lunch for us every day cos if i don't, he won't eat anything. i have forced him (i kinda mastered some weird way to make him sleepy, i don't know how that happened) to take naps at my apt cos otherwise... he'll get sleep deprived and go hypomanic for days.

how would you ask this type of person about the shirt thing? sorry if the answer seems a bit obvious, or the question a bit dumb. navigating relationships is super hard for me, and i don't want to hurt his feelings.

No I'm not a 30-year-old woman who says "the boyf" and yes my retired boyfriend is going senile but at least I tricked his cranky rear end into a nap schedule

Anyway, about the plaid shirt

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PetraCore posted:

Hey, nothing wrong with transitioning later in life. gently caress the haters, you be you.

Thanks! It's less about transitioning late and more about being nonbinary (AFAB on testosterone). I look how I look by choice and am happy with how I look for the first time in my life (even if I hate the loose skin from weight loss). It does make me feel like I'm hurtng trans women sometimes. But I haven't met a trans person who would give a gently caress who isn't truscum, so I just focus on how mad me being happy makes TERFs instead.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

While not the story, what if the cocktail was pre-mixed? It's how I like to prep for parties.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pinecone Sample posted:

No I'm not a 30-year-old woman who says "the boyf" and yes my retired boyfriend is going senile but at least I tricked his cranky rear end into a nap schedule

Anyway, about the plaid shirt

Having bipolar II isn't an excuse for making a teenager into your caregiver/bangmaid.

Edit:^ probably ok if you pour everyone's at the same time while they watch from the same container.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Araenna posted:

Thanks! It's less about transitioning late and more about being nonbinary (AFAB on testosterone). I look how I look by choice and am happy with how I look for the first time in my life (even if I hate the loose skin from weight loss). It does make me feel like I'm hurtng trans women sometimes. But I haven't met a trans person who would give a gently caress who isn't truscum, so I just focus on how mad me being happy makes TERFs instead.
I don't think it's hurting trans women to present in a non-binary way. People who look at you and make terfy assumptions aren't going to help trans women anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Or for not working

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Or for not working

Edit: wait no I think that was in response to something else sorry

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pinecone Sample posted:

quote:

our ages are slightly different than what i said on here. i'm sorry. i'm younger, he's older, he's probably a predator kind of person (and we get a poo poo ton of Looks about this) or whatevs, but i don't want to think about it, i am genuinely in love with him.
Very normal intro.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm not that strict! I just never let her have any fun unless I can preside over it like a goddamned vulture.

Weren't we all just posting a couple pages ago about how there are rape monsters all over the place and women must live in constant fear?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

spacetoaster posted:

Weren't we all just posting a couple pages ago about how there are rape monsters all over the place and women must live in constant fear?

It's almost like they can't just choose to live in a bubble and have to function socially while also making decisions that safeguard their well-being.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
in my best relationship ever but religion sperates us....(26m) and (30f)

quote:

Im dating this girl where we hit it off the minute we met. Ive never dated someone older than me. BUt thats not a big deal at all. THe biggest thing is the fact that she is Mormon. I live in utah so its not out of the blue. Problem is she got divorced 5 years ago and has a 9 year old daughter. Daughter goes with dad remarried wife half of the time.

My gf and i have amazing chemistry. She is amazing and we get along great. She never gets mad at me and we have great communication. The issue is this. She is so set on being a mormon. Its huge for her. She goes to church weekly. She wants to get temple married which means I need to convert. Im a jew and its been a big part of me(not religousbut identity). Not only that she wants to wait to have sex until married. She wont watch rated R movies(thats a normal mormon thing) and listen to bad music or have a drink or smoke any weed. Not only that its just shes so into her religion and i cant be into it at all. Im not mormon and ill never be mormon. Dont believe it etc.

tl;dr GF and I have perfect chemistry excep[t shes super mormon and wants me to be one but i dont want too. What do I do? We are amazing and this is best relationship ive ever had.

Is tater tot casserole kosher?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

lol sorry women don't just never leave the house

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Very normal intro.
[/quote]

r/relationships: he's probably a predator kind of person (and we get a poo poo ton of Looks about this) or whatevs, but i don't want to think about it, i am genuinely in love with him.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Basically a roomie with benefits, who gets half your stuff when he moves out

My husband (26M) and I (25F) are running out of things to say to each other
Relationships
I think after 7 years together, my husband and I have finally reached an impasse. We've always been very different, but before there was a lot to discover about the other person. Now, if we want to talk, it either becomes a small argument or it's talking that leads to sex. None of the fulfilling conversations we used to have.

Over the years we've both delved into our respective hobbies and interests, and while we listen to each other ramble about them here and there, there's no common ground. We talk about finding a new hobby or interest but haven't found anything yet. It's definitely an option though. I think there's some apathy on both sides we have to overcome.

Our usual routine is that after work, we watch TV over dinner and make small talk, then we sort of go our separate ways (he plays video games and I do crafts or something). We go to separate rooms because the games bother me too much to be around them. And then later he initiates sex and sometimes we do it, and go to sleep. It feels bleak written out like this.

Any advice in rekindling the spark? We do go on dates once a week and those are fun, but there are still 6 days in the week where it's hard to connect.

Tl;Dr husband is very different from me and we have a hard time connecting

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
A couple that has a date once a week and has regular sex seems like they're doing something right.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

AnoHito posted:

I am not that horribly strict! I just keep my daughter in a remote location and refuse to let her go to any social events I deem improper for a lady of her stature!

*(17f)develops telekinetic powers and kills everyone with them

Marchofthepenguins
Jun 1, 2016

Mental hygiene should be practiced after every meal
WIBTA if I called in an anonymous immigration tip

quote:

So this is posted on behalf of my boyfriend.

Backstory: my bf works in a job where he is paid as a contracted employee (not a corporate W-2 type situation).

He works with a guy who was here with his dad on a visa that essentially stipulated they have to go to school/learn English (they're from somewhere eastern European I believe). They didn't do this and his dad was deported (or asked to leave and he complied, not 100% sure). The son went back with him for a few months, and then came back on a travel visa.

Well now that he's back he's both working with my boyfriend (potentially under the table, not sure on this), and is working for a construction company making somewhere around 70k.

My boyfriend recently found out that he's on a travel visa and was considering anonymously reporting him for the violation (again, the second time). He knows it's technically the right thing to do legally, but feels like it's a lovely thing to do, even though the guy would probably get found out eventually.

Mind, his life in his home country is pretty cushy from what we understand, his dad is actually famous there and makes a good living. So he's not trying to escape from poverty or a bad situation, he just doesn't have the right kind of visa to be working here.

He doesn't want to get his boss into trouble and he doesn't want to ruin someone's life but he doesn't feel great about walking around knowing the guy is breaking the law.

WHBTA if he anonymously reported the guy for working with a travel visa?

**Note, I am just working with our knowledge of the immigration/visa laws so we could be wrong. If someone has insight on this that indicates what he's doing is okay, please do tell as I'd love to learn!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Marchofthepenguins posted:

gently caress YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, he's totally not doing it out of resentment since the illegal makes more than him. It is his sense of right and wrong. It's hard being so virtuous.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

My (18f) boyfriend (19) is leaving me alone for 2 weeks for a job at Denny’s in another state and I feel betrayed. My dad is furious. I need help and advice.

quote:

I live in Brooklyn, my dad lives in Long Island, my mom is in Ukraine until next month. My boyfriend (of 1+ year) and I were supposed to stay here together and watch the pets (dog, cat, chinchilla, fish) until my mom gets home. It’s not an option for me to go with him until my mom comes back in September. Once she returns, I move with my boyfriend to the other state.

My boyfriend is leaving 2 weeks earlier than me to pursue a job at Denny’s because apparently they would only hire him as a server if he shows up on a specific day. My boyfriend seems to think that if he doesn’t take this opportunity, we will struggle for the rest of our lives. I think he’s being a tad overdramatic.

My dad found out about this yesterday and drove all the way here to tell my boyfriend not to go and that he was putting me in danger by leaving me alone here for 2 weeks. My dad said that if my boyfriend goes, his opinion on him will change and he will have to quit his job in Long Island to come stay with me and make sure I’m safe.

I should also note that my parents do in fact baby me. I have a few mental disabilities and I’m currently facing chest pains and my insurance just ran out. I don’t want to be left alone. But my boyfriend is dead set on going and I’m not going to stop him.

He said he would be furious with me if I made him stay and he’s willing to throw away his relationship with my dad for a job at Denny’s and that hurts me because he knows how much family means to me.

When my dad was giving him the talk, I said I’d be okay and to let him go if that’s what he wants and my dad said “I don’t care what you say, I know you’re not going to be okay alone.” He told my boyfriend to make a decision in 3 days and tell my dad. My dad sees it as “choose Denny’s or my daughter” My boyfriend already decided that he’s leaving.

Now he’s stressing about everything and treating me poorly because of it. He thinks it’s my fault for telling my dad that he was going. He called me a baby which hurt my feelings. He called me an anchor because I’m somehow holding us back despite the fact that I never told him not to go. I always tell him to do whatever he wants. He’s acting distant, stepping outside for phone calls which he never does, picking fights over nothing and barely speaking to me even though we are in the same house.

all in all, I feel betrayed. Like I said, I’m not going to stop him because that will only cause resentment and I don’t want to be controlling but I don’t understand why this is such a big deal to him as we have other job options lined up for us. I don’t know why he’s so dead set on Denny’s. He has serving experience so it wouldn’t be hard to become a server in another restaurant. I have terrible anxiety and I’ve never been alone in a house before. My house has been robbed before, I’ve been followed home, I’ve seen men staring through my window. Needless to say, I’m terrified. I don’t want my dad to quit his job and ruin his life to ensure my safety.

TL;DR: My boyfriend is leaving me alone in my mom’s house for 2 weeks in an unsafe neighborhood while she’s visiting family in another country. He’s doing this for a job at Denny’s. My dad is furious.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sorry babe, you're just not a "grand slam" like this job is

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

spacetoaster posted:

This is a bad post. The point of the drinking-drugging discussion was what kind of common sense precautions women should take when attending parties hosted by strangers. No one was saying women should hide bawling in fear every time they see a man's shadow. It's about how to take care of yourself in a public setting known to be exploited by predators.

"Women often have to factor in the risk of being drugged when offered an alcoholic drink by a stranger" =/= "there are rape monsters all over the place and women must live in constant fear"

Don't be silly now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Marchofthepenguins posted:

Your boyfriend needs an icepick up the urethra lady.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

HIJK posted:

This is a bad post. The point of the drinking-drugging discussion was what kind of common sense precautions women should take when attending parties hosted by strangers. No one was saying women should hide bawling in fear every time they see a man's shadow. It's about how to take care of yourself in a public setting known to be exploited by predators.

"Women often have to factor in the risk of being drugged when offered an alcoholic drink by a stranger" =/= "there are rape monsters all over the place and women must live in constant fear"

Don't be silly now.

spacetoaster is a trump guy so

Marchofthepenguins
Jun 1, 2016

Mental hygiene should be practiced after every meal
"Want a drink?"
"Uh no thanks."
"HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE BEAR TO LIVE LIKE THIS, COWERING LIKE DOGS"

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Pick posted:

Maybe you guys would know some of how society feels if you ever talked to people outside your exact political and age demographics

This could probably apply to most people.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HIJK posted:

No one was saying women should hide bawling in fear every time they see a man's shadow.

Don't be silly now.

I was referring to this:

MasBrillante posted:

high probability of being raped every time we interact with men.

goethe.cx posted:

spacetoaster is a trump guy so

When did this happen?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Frog Act posted:

My (18f) boyfriend (19) is leaving me alone for 2 weeks for a job at Denny’s in another state and I feel betrayed. My dad is furious. I need help and advice.

This is a weird one. OP sounds pretty paranoid and dad sounds like he knows if she's alone he'll be getting constant frantic phone calls. Though if her house was broken into before I imagine that's a horrifying experience and makes it drat near impossible to ever feel safe and secure. BF is also a moron

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Pick posted:

My gauge is 15 million so you can't even keep numbers straight.

This reminds me of people who say, "A million dollars isn't really even a lot of money these days." To which I reply, "Fine, give it to me then."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Denny's pays servers around 3 dollars an hour. It's the right move for their future.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pick posted:

Maybe you guys would know some of how society feels if you ever talked to people outside your exact political and age demographics

Now please continue, as a native of the Pacific Northwest, to talk about racial minorities and how they should behave.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Pick, bravo on the trolling - demonstrating the futility and inadequacy of respectability by doing it yourself!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

5000+ pages and you goofs are still reading and responding to pick posts, yet you mock redditors for being dumb?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

spacetoaster posted:

I was referring to this:

When did this happen?

I don’t know what the probability of being raped by a dude is but even if it is high that poster wasn’t saying women should be constantly terrified of men, at least as I read it. Pointing out “this group is at risk for being attacked by another group” doesn’t indicate what we should do in the face of such risk, it’s just a statement. The point is that if there is a risk of injury, however big or small, every day people must still go on with the business of living. There are sensible precautions that everyone should take.

If it matters I think men should also take care when living and partying and working, men are victmized by violence and drugs and predators passing themselves off as friends as well. So they ought to make sure to stay safe. Don’t accept mixed drinks from strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

This is a weird one. OP sounds pretty paranoid and dad sounds like he knows if she's alone he'll be getting constant frantic phone calls. Though if her house was broken into before I imagine that's a horrifying experience and makes it drat near impossible to ever feel safe and secure. BF is also a moron

OP sounds like she has anxiety issues (I would bet that's the chest pain at age 18) and her dad has been accidentally enabling, rather than getting her help. Being left alone for two weeks shouldn't be an emergency for someone in their late teens.

spacetoaster posted:

Denny's pays servers around 3 dollars an hour. It's the right move for their future.

They're planning to move away together, so I guess they need income. At least he's taking some initiative.