Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Capra Demon, unfortunately, has very poorly-trained dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cumshitter posted:

I can't believe people were arguing so much about sex toys as Christmas gifts. Last year I gifted the entire office fleshlights modeled after my own rear end. A few days later someone was kind enough to leave an anonymous note praising my butthole which also suggested I see a doctor because my prostate was obviously inflamed.

I got it checked out and it turns out they were right. The only reason I'm posting now is because a nameless coworker loved my rear end so much. Sex toy Christmas gifts figuratively saved my life.

brb typing up a first draft for a Hallmark Channel screenplay

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Regarding canine dominance behaviors, my wife had a very confusing evening once that went something like this:

1) haha our dog freaks out when you blow air on her head, she doesn't understand how you're doing it, so funny, check it out
2) Wait, why is she running away? I'm just trying to get a funny reaction!
3) Holy poo poo she just snapped at the air when I tried blowing on her head again, why is she doing that
4) Uhh ok so Google says that dogs take blowing air on them as an act of dominant aggression, whoops
5) sorry dog :(

In conclusion canine social cues are strange and incomprehensible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

Your wife abused a dog because she's an idiot, good job

This was all in the course of like half an hour and the dog apparently forgot by the next morning, I think we're ok

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

"wow hey guys, this dog freaks out every time I slap it in the face!! Ha ha how crazy!!"

"Oh huh according to Google dogs don't like being slapped in the face. Wow, the more you know huh"

I mean, blowing air isn't nearly as self-evident an act of aggression as physical force, but you of course know that

The dog was reacting with nothing more alarming than apparent confusion until the very end, and my wife thought it was like that Internet thing where you put a cucumber on the ground next to a cat and it freaks out or something similarly harmless, until the snapping gave her cause to worry and she looked it up

This is my wife's first dog (and my first dog not primarily owned by my parents) and she's still figuring poo poo out but if you wanna be mad at her I guess you can :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

My girlfriend wants to have a threesome with my ex, and I don’t know how to respond.

"My significant other wants to do a sex act I'm uncomfortable with, what should I do Internet?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Araenna posted:

I don't understand what either of them being autistic has to do with her husband not being into her kinks.

Oh, I'm sorry, honey, I can't do your weird slashfiction role-playing because, uh, because I'm, uh, too autistic? Yeah! Yeah just like waaaaay too much autism over here to play Naruto and Sasuke, yup, sorry, can't help it haha

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

My (22M) girlfriend (22F) broke up with me over playing videogames.

Kill all gamers. Just murder them all.

I mean, what the dude did wrong in the post as written was "touch a videogame for a period of time greater than 3 seconds"

Diagnosis 1: girlfriend (22F) wanted to end the relationship for unrelated reasons and is using this as an extremely flimsy pretext, perhaps as a response to her own (unwarranted) feelings of guilt for enjoying a romantic evening with OP (22M) despite wanting to break up with him

Diagnosis 2: girlfriend (22F) is going through a depressive phase as mentioned in the post and is stewing over her own feelings instead of talking about them and let this get ahead of her

Either way it's a super early-20s move and some time apart is for the best anyway

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AmiYumi posted:

Yeah, it’s like she’s, in his own words, struggling with depression. How to possibly explain her behavior, gosh I don’t know

Depression can be an explanation for being a jerk to your loved ones, but not an excuse

Putting up with all of someone's bullshit because what can you do, they're going through some poo poo right now :shrug: is for their family, not their friends and significant others

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It looks like I'm losing my family, all my respect at church, and the love of my life, all because I said yes to that slut. It's so hard to be a man these days.

this line, guys

jesus H this line

In the abstract it seems like your spouse turning out to be gay when you're a sheltered church person would be kind of a rough scene, but if you actually read the post this guy does a great job of making everybody on the Internet hate him so it's not a huge surprise everyone he knows IRL does now too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

It's not a lot. Driving any real distance in japan is crazy expensive.

BUT you can be almost certain that train/bus options exist and would be what "normal" people would use.

Taking an Uber in Japan is just not a thing I ever did when I was there. Public transport is really good.

Persona 5 taught me that the Tokyo public transit system is comprehensive and reliable, but soul-deadening enough to be used as a metaphor for the concepts of depression and helplessness in modern life

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I went back and read the Passover story and speaking as a Jew I'm on Atheist SO's side here

If I were at an SO's house for Christmas or Easter or something and we were taking turns reading from a thing and it just so happened that the part I was supposed to read was a prayer to Jesus Christ who died for our sins etc I'd probably request that my SO and I switch places so I didn't have to do it. I don't blame him for basically doing the same thing, even if the seder is super harmless and basically a recitation of folklore that just happens to feature things like Old Testament God directly summoning a plague of locusts :shrug:

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Then they shouldn’t go to a dinner that’s observing a religious holiday. That was my original point. It seems like everyone is arguing in circles. Not going to a religious gathering or whatever is a perfectly valid option, but if you choose to go and then get upset or uncomfortable when religious stuff happens then that is on you. Like this guy went and ate the food that was prepared for him but then refuses to do a symbolic participation reading? He’s just plain old rude. To the people asking how could he have known that a Passover seder might be religious, he probably could have used his brain.

"I refuse to attend your Sky Daddy Party" actually seems way ruder than "I'd rather not recite a prayer to a God I don't worship" IMO

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

"I refuse to attend your Sky Daddy Party" actually seems way ruder than "I'd rather not recite a prayer to a God I don't worship" IMO

To expand on this I guess it depends whether he was sitting there quietly seething all night while other people said prayers or whether he was fine when they were doing it and just got blindsided and put on the spot when the thing it was his turn to read was a prayer, the OP doesn't really go into much detail there

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Come to think of it I dunno if my hypothetical reversal is the best example since there's a long history of Jews being pressured to conform to majority religions, particularly Christianity, where "pressured" can mean anything from your neighbors making snide remarks to the literal Holocaust, whereas there has never been societal-level pressure on atheists to conform to Judaism

Leon Einstein posted:

I personally feel it'd be out of line for someone to participate in a religious ceremony if they don't actually follow that religion.

This would make interfaith dating pretty much literally impossible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

Would you Jews partake in communion?

I've gone to a Catholic church and sort of politely sat in my pew during communion, which is the kind of thing I was talking about before

A lot of it comes down to how much of a scene he was making on a scale of "I'd rather not, thanks" to "gently caress your sky daddy"

zakharov posted:

Not really the same thing. I wouldn't invite a Gentile to read from the Torah on Shabbat which is the closest thing I can think of.

Just imagining this scenario is cringey to me

(for context, the Torah is written in old-style Hebrew without any vowels in it which is hard for most Jews to read without practice let alone gentiles)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dudeness posted:

The obvious solution is to buy a Seder On Tape VHS and watch that so there is no participation required.

Hosted by Eugene Levy with Danny DeVito as The Goyishe Guest

datajugend posted:

would they be more offended by him not coming at all because its a jewish(religious) holiday event or him coming and not reading a prayer?

The Seder is a religious event, but it's also a family gathering where you eat a bunch of tasty food. You can't really tell without knowing the people involved, but based on the fact that he wasn't the only non-Jew present they'd probably be madder if he declined to show up because it'd feel like he had some kind of problem with the fact that there will be Jewish stuff happening.

We keep making analogies to Christianity, so: imagine that your SO doesn't want to come to your family's Christmas dinner because they have a tradition of singing carols, and not just the Jingle Bellsy stuff but the We Three Kings, O Little Town of Bethlehem-rear end stuff too

For the record I don't think the OP asked any of their actual relatives whether they were put off by it, they just got mad themselves IIRC

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jimbozig I think you should probably hold off on making any more analogies here, they've been kind of not good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh and just for the record the Seder equivalent of Jingle Bells is Chad Gadya

e: maybe Dayenu, Chad Gadya is more like The Twelve Days of Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

I thought the Seder equivalent would be a Matisyahu song.

That's more like the Seder equivalent of the Creed album "Human Clay"