Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Drink every time someone reads too fast and assumes a relationship is hetero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

I'll never understand the level to which some people take Disneyland. I think one full day and I'd be done. Four days straight sounds like torture.

Disneyland is one medium sized park. Disney World is gigantic.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for getting eating in the office banned?

This has to be a shitpost, dear lord.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Is My [28 F] Husband [32 M] being a big baby over my harmless girl talk??

Don't describe parts of your partner's body that only you get to see.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

massive spider posted:

AITA for calling out the drummer in my band for his faults.

This sounds like a great band.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I thought we weren't posting abuse stories

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Surfer BF should be forcibly relocated to North Dakota.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cars are bad

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

"Hey Reddit, my girlfriend is ridiculously horny, masturbates all the time, and loves having sex with me. How should I kill her sex drive and destroy our relationship?"

As we all know, Real Men want sex 24/7.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Wtf do you do with a ____path kid? I remember hearing the This American Life about those kids and it was terrifying.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Folks we've got gold from Ask a Manager

quote:

I’ve been accidentally dating my new boss’ husband, and I don’t know what to do.

I landed my dream job at my dream company. My boss is usually supportive and competent. My only issue is that she’s made some homophobic comments (I’m a gay man), but this is a conservative area and I’m not out at work It’s not a big deal for me personally because I’ve dealt with this kind of comments at every job I’ve ever had and honestly, she’s not as bad as many of the people I’ve dealt with.

I also recently started a relationship with a guy. We were keeping it quiet because I’m not out and he told me he isn’t either, but I really liked him and he was smart and funny and everything I’m into. It wasn’t just sex; we were dating for six weeks.

I might have gone on like this for some time, except there was a work party to which it was okay to bring a plus one, and my boss brought her husband, who turned out to be the man I was dating. Needless to say I broke it off with him ASAP, but I’m not sure if I should tell my boss. On the one hand, it’s going to look very bad (compounded by me being gay, and I don’t know that I’d be comfortable outing him) if I confess now, but on the other hand, if she finds out later the fall-out might be even worse.

I feel like I’m not thinking clearly because I’m still very pissed at him but still not over him, and I don’t know what to do. Help me, please?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

*puts on NUMTOT hat* cars are so destructive that we have to teach kids to be deathly afraid of them early on

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Mourne posted:

Greetings from page 3698 and all I can say is please shut the gently caress up.

If my wife invited a husband and 7 month pregnant wife with a toddler to come live with us for any amount of time they want I would loving pack my suit case and leave.

Am I lovely person? Probably but I loving hate kids, we don’t have kids and I don’t want any.

Grounds for divorce right there.

Changing another couples loving diapers? In my own home? After I put them up for however long?

gently caress off right now. I don’t give a poo poo if your house burned to the ground. Call FEMA and go stay with your parents.

That seems really hostile to people in need. Perhaps you should examine your attitudes that caused you to get this mad and dredge up a debate from thousands of posts ago.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Have the kind of wedding you want. Life's too short.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

My (33F) husband's family is unwittingly destroying my life, how do I get over it?

quote:

I have been married to my husband (38M) for over 11 years, we have one son. I moved across the world to his country near his family 12 years ago and left my family and friends behind. It was all fine and dandy until about two years ago when his dad got a stroke. I quit my job to take care of him because my husband has a job with insurance and benefits and I was only part-time with no benefits. Which was whatever, but about six months later FIL passed away and it went downhill from there.

MIL (60F) had untreated mental illness and BIL (35M) got into drugs about two years before his father's passing. Ever since then we had to deal with mentally ill MIL and unstable and high BIL. This year MIL was finally hospitalized and put on the medication - however she was released right around the time we planned a vacation. We had to cancel last minute and lost all the money. She moved in with us to get her stabilized - however, I just started house remodel so I had to put all the new furniture and building material into storage. BIL got so out of control so we had to seek a restraining order - however, all the court dates cost me a promotion that I could not apply for because I had too many absences. MIL finally moved out and I was about to proceed with the remodel - however nephew was caught smoking weed with his other side of the family so he moved in so we can keep an eye on him. Remodel canceled again. I had to oversee all the court paperwork, MIL bills, her medication, doctor appointments, I had to hire a carer for her, deal with nephew's school, his clothes, and basic care, plus my own son, house, husband, and I work full time. After all this I ended up in the hospital for three days with heart problems and possible anxiety.

I decided to book a peaceful Thanksgiving vacation and guess what? MIL is in the hospital again! Vacation cancelled, too late to get any money back. I am about to book plane tickets to finally see my family for the first time in five years but I am so afraid that two days before something will happen again!

I know none of the family members are doing this on purpose, but I already "lost" a house remodel, a promotion, two non-refundable vacations, and I don't know how to be a better person to get over it and count all the blessings I still have. Are there any books, mantras, IG accounts I can look at and learn and not feel total resentment towards my husband's family? Like I rationally know none of them is doing it on purpose to ruin my life, yet my life has been ruined due to their actions and accidents. Help!

TL;DR: Husband's family is a mess, every single time I plan a significant life improvement or vacation we have to cancel due to husband's family accidental actions. How not to feel resentment and anger?

EDIT: For those asking where is my husband - he works a construction job and he is a super commuter. He leaves the house at 4 am and gets back by 6 or 7 pm. He can't answer his phone because of the construction noise. I work from home two days a week so that's why the majority of all the work falls on me.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

A tip for posters ITT is that the wildest stories don't get the most engagement. What this thread craves is something to latch onto and argue about. That's why everyone loves wedding stories.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Somewhere in my internet poisoned brain I remember reading an article from a professor who claimed rules against banging her students were a violation of academic freedom. I'm not sure if this really happened.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Older sister is now in the Pete and Petra Hall of Fame.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

This thread needs a shakeup. We need carry on then to crash in and accuse us of being Nazis for eating food.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I declare Bullied Kid's response Rude But Understandable Under The Circumstances Especially Accounting For Age.

Bailiff, next case.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

"Might be interested in" and "let's have an orgy right now" are pretty far apart!

I applaud Poly Pete.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Leon Einstein posted:

You don't bring that up and say it if you don't mean it.

You sure you want to go down this road?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Let's journey to Legal Advice UK for someone we can all hate.

quote:

Family tenant taking legal action against me because I had to change the locks

Please listen to the whole truth before you lambaste me.

I asked the family (one woman, four kids, one adult teenager) that live in my property to find another place to live because I wanted the house back. I gave the section 21 notice ages two months ago. They did not leave. I said, ok, if you don't leave by 1st of December, I will go to court to evict you.

I asked nicely; I told the woman my family are coming to join me for Christmas, we have not seen each other for over a year and my current property is not big enough to host dinner; so I needed my old property back urgently but she didn't care.

I have changed the locks before and no one has taken legal action against me and I ONLY DO IT for emergency/drastic measures when the tenant doesn't listen or has broken our agreement and I can't be bothered to spend my business (time/money) going through the court system which takes ages.

Every landlord I know changes the locks and it gets the tenants to comply with eviction.

Unfortunately, on 2nd December evening, she called the Met saying i was harassing her (false) and that she was stranded outside and could not access her house- they told her it was a civil matter but the police recorded the incident and she has used the police statement as evidence in the letter before action.

I have already taken repossession of the property, I believe they are residing in a BnB at the moment provided by Greenwich council?

What are my options and my defence to this alleged unlawful eviction claim by the tenant and her solicitor?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Biplane posted:

no discussion about the landlord evicting someone in december because he needs more room to host a dinner party? My jimmies are certainly rustled

He didn't even go through the eviction process! He just changed the locks because he's too busy for courts and stuff.

Every reply is telling him to get ready for jail.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm a Man Who Absolutely Loves Musical Theater. Could I Be Secretly Gay?

It's true, every time you watch Oklahoma! you have to suck off your nearest guy friend. It's the law.

Between this and the guy who isn't sure if he should tell his girlfriend that he's seeing sex workers it's been a banner week for morons.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Why are you replying to carry on then

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thank you for this thread title. The best parts of this thread are smug Euros showing up to claim all Americans are hopeless prudes for whatever reason.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I visited a friend in France once and all over his parents' house were nude pictures of his mom made by his photographer dad. Nothing graphic, stuff like a silhouette of her standing in the window or her half-draped in a sheet, but you could make out nipples and pubic hair and there were dozens of them. I asked him what he thought of having friends over with all those pictures all over the place; was he embarrassed? Did he get made fun of when he was a kid?

(quizzical expression) "No? All of my friends, why would they make jokes? She is a beautiful woman and they all wanted to have sex with her."

What the hell

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Slave, come here and service my pod racer. Make sure to polish the throttle.

If you don't do a good job I'm putting a restraining bolt on you!

Restraining bolts are for droids you fool!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hello, please meet the mom who wants her kids to get naked.

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

I am the mother of three boys (a 15-year-old and 11-year-old twins) and have a question about the emergence of extreme bashfulness and what, if anything, to do about it. When my oldest turned 12, he abruptly went from comfortably walking around the upstairs naked and happily changing clothes in front of his brothers to never letting ANYONE see him without pants. I assumed this was due to his reaching puberty earlier than most of his friends and his being self-conscious about the whole thing (body hair, etc.). I did not make a thing about it. About eight months ago, his twin little brothers, who, incidentally, show very few signs of puberty, also completely shut down any nudity in the house.

Now, although they share a bedroom, they will not change clothes or get into pajamas with each other in the room (and will even change in the closet if another room isn’t available). They will not even get into swimwear if the other (or anyone, including me or my husband) is nearby. This is both inconvenient and frankly baffling to me. I am the youngest of five siblings and not only did I regularly change in front of my sisters and mother without issue, I changed in front of my friends during sleepovers, changed in front of others at camp, in gym class at school, in the locker rooms of sports teams, etc. I am far from a nudist, but I feel like these were pretty typical experiences for someone of my generation.

In any case, I guess it bothers me because it seems like they are either ashamed of their bodies or have been taught to associate nudity with inappropriate behavior. Which is kind of sad, really. Because bodies are just bodies. I read an article last year that implied that kids no longer change or shower in communal locker rooms at school, so perhaps this is just a cultural trend to limit inappropriate/nonconsensual touching/harassment and as a consequence, kids are generally less comfortable with nudity in all contexts?

I am conflicted about how to handle this as a parent and up to this point, I have not done a good job. I will just say things like “You don’t have to hide—you can change in front of your brothers! Bodies are just bodies! There is nothing to be ashamed of” in a mildly annoyed voice. And the boys just tend to look at me, horrified, when I say things like this! It just makes me sad to think that we are at a place in society where naked/semi-naked bodies are sexualized to the degree that the only time people are comfortable being naked is with a potential sexual partner. I have mentioned the bashfulness thing to other parents with mixed reactions, mostly along generational lines (younger parents seem OK with the no-nudity thing; older parents more like me).

What do you think? Am I totally overthinking this? Do I try some subtle deprogramming at home and hope they grow out of it or just keep my mouth shut and accept the status quo?

—They’re Just Bodies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Man you guys haven't seen the hack comedy bits about how boring Today's Youth are for drinking and having sex less?