Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

codo27 posted:

Thanks for leading me down a path to learning what anal vore means, I guess. I figured it meant you ate rear end. Holy gently caress

you were conceptually close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

quote:

GF(25F) Told me (25M) that she could see herself murdering someone in cold blood. Is that a red flag?

actual content is not all that interesting, but that's a great thread title

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Can’t believe hallmark doesn’t have a card for this

https://www.hallmark.com/cards/greeting-cards/sorry-things-are-prickly-encouragement-card-599C2644.html

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being mad at my husband for telling our son not to listen to women??

I was/am outraged at what I heard my husband say to our 15 year old son about a week ago. Our son has started dating and he’s been coming to me for advice since his dad is on the road for work a lot. He was home last week when he was telling us about how he bungled things with the girl he was talking to.

I told him basically to move on and reinforced the advice I’d given him before about being respectful and polite.

As I left the room he asked his dad what he thought and his father said, “never listen to what women say about dating. Just pay attention to what they do. Your mother will tell you things because she thinks they’ll work, but trust me, it’s better to just watch how they behave and change your behavior based on that.”

This struck me as being incredibly sexist and dismissive of not just what I said but if who I am as a woman. What about our daughters??? I feel like this was an awful thing to reach our son but my brothers and my dad all laughed it off and said he was right.

Am I overreacting or is my husband actually the sexist rear end in a top hat?

this advice seems much less bad than the thread topic implied

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

therobit posted:

Every woman I have talked to that was in the Girl Scouts said it was lame crafty poo poo, selling cookies, and later on doing slumber parties (which sound like the only fun part). I knew a gal in high school who did Venturing with her younger brother's boy scout troop after quitting the GSA and she had a blast.

The Boy Scouts (now just "Scouts") do cool, fun poo poo like horseback riding, archery, marksmanship, camping, woodworking, and outdoor survival. As a father who was a cub scout and then a boy scout as a child, I am really happy they are now inclusive and I can send my son AND my daughter to participate in an organization that was really fun for me and taught me a lot of skills. It may have been overdue, but I like the core mission of the organization and now that they don't exclude women, gays, or transgender people anymore I feel like I can send my kids there.

Camp Fire is also a thing (if you've got a traditional council anyway) and has been gender inclusive since the mid 80's

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

zakharov posted:

There are plenty of stories of women being bad that aren't questioned here. The ones that get flagged are the ones that read like an MRA checklist.

beyond the general worthlessness/thread-making GBS threads nature of questioning stories that aren't blatantly obvious stdh.txt, you should really reconsider whether this is a valid criteria for "calling out" a story in the first place

I'd posit there is some fairly significant overlap between "lovely things individual women have done" and "behaviors MRAs grossly overgeneralize to women as a whole"

that sort of criteria would seem (and does seem) to lead to the dismissal of a lot of not-at-all implausible stories as "fake," which seems especially invalid when considering a corpus that self-selects for weird and exceptional circumstances

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

pete is still real though :catbert:

i believe.

also eagle boyfriend

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

We may as well ban any post where the person acting like an rear end in a top hat in a relationship happens to have a vagina. Screaming FALSE FLAG every time is tiresome, you may as well be yelling that jet fuel can't melt steel beams or that tap water is making frogs gay.

seriously, it is beyond incredibly tiresome at this point

e: like there is nothing remotely implausible about that story, but we still have multiple people questioning its validity and openly wondering whether its part of the Great MRA Conspiracy that apparently writes >40% of r/relationships posts purely for propaganda reasons

LGD fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 15, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ad090 posted:

AITA if I don't go to my friend's wedding because my fiance was not invited?

Yeah nah, that’s not remotely ok and you shouldn’t feel remotely bad about not going

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blade Runner posted:

lmao at throwing a surprise wedding

I had a friend who did that, but I think it's pretty different if you're actually one of the involved parties and are on the same page about what you want

they'd had conversations in theoretical terms, and apparently his wife at one point expressed the sentiment that she wished she didn't have to deal with any of it and it would just be a surprise (she claims to have no memory of this conversation)

he disguised the entire thing as a big beach weekend to explain why so many of her friends were in attendance and then got her family to stay in the same small beach community

her bridesmaids (her best friends who conspired with him) took her on a spa trip that also turned into picking up a dress before returning for the ceremony at sunset

it actually worked out really well and everybody thought the whole thing was lovely (p. much every unmarried woman involved also told their boyfriends to never loving do that to them under any circumstances)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

therobit posted:

My(2700s F, goddess) Husband(2700s M, God ) is frequently unfaithful. This time he dressed up as a swan in order to seduce a woman (20sF, mortal). I'm really angry about it and I don't know if I can forgive him.

apparently that doesn't work as well as it used to

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 10, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

therobit posted:

I think this link got cut off or something...

nah I just hosed it up, fixed but it was this:

https://www.theonion.com/todays-women-dont-like-it-when-you-come-to-them-as-a-bu-1819583588

which I will always remember because it contains one of my all-time favorite lines from The Onion

quote:

With these modern women, though, no manifestation seems to work. Even my awe-inspiring shower of gold, the aspect in which I fathered Perseus by the fair Danaë, is a total bust. There are some contemporary women who claim to enjoy golden showers, but they are not fit consorts for Zeus.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

This guy is forging new realms in stupid, juvenile, hypothetical questions.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not new, sadly. I've heard this one before.

this poo poo is especially baffling because it's one of the only parts of the mechanics of afterlife that's explicitly addressed in the Bible!

Matthew 22:23-30 posted:

That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. Finally, the woman died. Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1128697181307904000

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1128697183723773953

think we missed SBC this week, these are the best imo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

LOL at getting banned from Domino's.

"Yep, I guess things are just about perfect… it’s making me feel kind of itchy."
"How ’bout we go get kicked out of an Applebee’s?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

#SBCCHAT time

really good ones this week imo

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1131242556048793601

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1131242559169282049

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1131242562633830401

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1131242578811207680

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pooch516 posted:

So he's been around for this kid's entire life basically or am I misreading the age/timespan here?

yeah, that's the part that's frustrating/awkward, because it seems like yeah, he should have something of an obligation to the kid there, but the idea that he was going to operate in a parenting role seems to have been pretty clearly rejected/denied by everyone else involved for a very long time

and its good that he's respected that, but the crux of the issue isn't that the kid is being lovely, it's that his wife isn't behaving as if they're actually a family unit/team at all, which seems like an extremely good reason to divorce someone you were considering having kids with

sucks for the kid though - I think divorcing his wife is definitely a NTA move, but there are a LOT of ways he could be an rear end in a top hat in the divorce proceedings/aftermath and he should try to avoid that

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MasBrillante posted:

I can only pray for the burden of these anonymous opinions on a dying message board to be lifted from the shoulders of the fallen men of r/relationships.

May their life be free of the misandrist toll of women suggesting in a thread they will never read that maybe they’re kind of irritating. Amen.

who gives a poo poo? we have to read it, and consistent “maybe they really *did* deserve this obviously abusive behavior” takes are not good

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I totally agree, but in context I'm perplexed. Are you saying that wanting a man not to wear 5 pieces of neon superhero garb is abuse? Or that when I called a woman a shithead, I was secretly saying she was doing the right thing?

separately, for everyone deeply concerned by misandry, please compare and contrast this thread's takes about six flags old man girl vs. superhero clown man

as far as you specifically it was definitely this:

Anne Whateley posted:

If communication is important in relationships (it is), don't date someone so cripplingly shy they can barely speak to a waiter

Anne Whateley posted:

I wasn't siding with the lady, she's a shithead for picking on him. I was saying what she should have done differently, i.e., not dated him in the first place.

Mental disorders are sad, and people with them can be good people, but you still aren't obligated to date them. You shouldn't date people you aren't compatible with. If you're all about that skydiving life, don't date someone with a fear of heights. If you're a big extrovert and you want a partner who'll be with you for raves or traveling, don't date someone with agoraphobia. If you want a partner who can have good conversations and speak normally to a waitress, don't date someone with extreme social anxiety. It won't work and both of you will be miserable. Exhibit A, that post.

you're not "siding with the lady," you're just entirely approaching the issue from the perspective of the person you later describe as a "shithead" (after getting called out), including highlighting a potentially hyperbolic description of her partner's flaws, and then focusing on what she should have done differently so she wasn't put into a situation where it was only natural she would abuse her partner

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for baking a cake on my daughter's birthday but not doing the same for my stepdaughter because I was tired?

My husband and I got married 4 years ago. My late husband died serving when my daughter was 1yo and she is 8 now. My stepdaughter is 9. I'm her primary care giver because her mother is also deceased.

Yesterday was my stepdaughter's birthday and my daughter's birthday was on Sunday. I always wanted to celebrate their birthdays on the same day( I'm referring to the party ), preferably the following weekend because of our work schedules. But my husband felt that it would send a wrong message to the kids and insisted we have separate parties for both. Okay, fine by me. Recently I learned how to bake and I promised the girls that I'd bake a cake for them. So my daughter asked if I could do that for her on her birthday. I told her I would. My stepdaughter wanted the same, so I told her I'd do that for her too.

I baked a cake on Sunday and it was a huge mess. I had do it again and it was cumbersome. The end result was great but I was really tired. Yesterday was a working day and I was aldready tired. So I told my stepdaughter that I was too tired to bake a cake. She got really upset and she ended up not wanting a party. My husband got really upset and told me that I'm discriminating against them and showing them preferential treatment. I was also really pissed and told him he can bake a cake for his daughter. AITA here?

I'd say yeah definitely rear end in a top hat in this case, how it played out is understandable, but the optics are really bad and its also reasonable/anticipable for her stepdaughter to be extremely upset

it's one of those commitments that should absolutely not be reneged on if it can be avoided at all

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blade Runner posted:

He answered this, he doesn't have the money for a nice hotel

e: yes this is very funny when considering he's spending 15,000 dollars on getting his dick sucked and will probably last exactly 30 seconds

even assuming he's complete dead set on following Gam-Gam's dying wish to use the money she scrimped and saved to finally get him laid, this still seems like exceptionally poor management of his limited sex-buying windfall

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The first place I lived after moving out of my parents' house was a share with a guy who filled the entire living and dining rooms with stacked and meticulously indexed boxes of Black Tail and I gotta say I respect that kind of commitment

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Monopoly is a loving terrible game and actually purposely punishing and unfun by design, but wow, that's taking it to a whole nother level.

monopoly is a bad game, but its a bad game people typically make significantly worse by ignoring large portions of the real rules + house rules

which I guess this qualifies as

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Are these elaborate fake posts just to lead people to red pill, or is this a thing that actually happens?

you're asking if people deciding they want to sleep around and then either wanting to keep their original partner around as a backup or simply regretting the decision after that partner decides they're not interest in getting back together is a thing that actually happens?

have you somehow missed ever reading any poly relationship posts? there's no vast incel conspiracy, it's just a fairly routine way people are lovely

e:

Sjs00 posted:

Wow. It's probably just me but its not as if these women had gotten pregnant / gotten married and divorced. They sucked a bunch of dicks in college. It could have been substantially worse overall. I don't really see the issue

this is dumb as poo poo

its got gently caress-all to do with some sort of notional "purity" or intensity of/degree of entanglement with past relationships with other people or w/e, and everything to do with their demonstrated disregard for commitment to the relationship with their partner and the feelings involved

nobody is under any obligation to accept the incredibly insulting assumption that they'll be the safe fallback plan when attempts to "upgrade" don't pan out

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 7, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah I dunno it never happened to me or any of my friends so yeah I'm asking if people really do this.

well that's probably because your social circle isn't full of immature/abusive/codependent/otherwise dysfunctional relationships and (taking a wild guess based on general forum demographics) you're probably a bit past your teen-years/early 20's where that stuff is both more common and hasn't been self-selected out of the people you maintain relationships with

again, have you somehow missed reading the dysfunctional poly stories? there's not that much daylight between someone deciding they want to unilaterally open a relationship while still expecting to use their former partner for emotional/financial support/etc., and someone deciding that of course their partner will be fine with them loving off for a few years (literally) before they return to settle down, its just a difference in the self-justifications used and life-stage (since college and the inevitable breakup of HS relationships or ill-advised LDR followed by inevitable breakup are somewhat more specific)

e: that second dude has some problems though

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 7, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah I'm 36 but I was in my twenties once. I never saw this sort of thing happen. Like I've seen people break up and get back together but I was never aware of anyone doing the "I'm going to gently caress other people in university, but then we'll get married when I'm done" thing.

well yeah, because it's a pretty specific manifestation and you probably don't hang around with garbage people, but the underlying behavior/motivation/relationship dynamics at play are extremely common

just think of it like this: you definitely know that lovely people exist who are totally fine making a unilateral decision that they're now in a poly relationship, while expecting to retain their previous doormat of a partner as an ever-present fallback plan/source of support, right? does it strike you as particularly implausible that some people might feel similarly entitled to unilaterally decide that their relationship is now going to be either "on break" or a LDR with a "don't ask, don't tell" policy towards sleeping around while they're at school, while maintaining the expectation that their doormat partners will be similarly fine with it?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A two parter! (And my choice for top story this week)

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1143927472091738114

Once again, whoever condenses these is incredibly good at their job (re: #2)

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1143927474998456327

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1143927477716357120

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1143927479058477058

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

the best time of the week is here!

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1146461728139546627

lol to both of these

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1146461732082262018

who could have possibly foreseen things turning out like this?

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1146461734556897281

these are more sad

e: vvv lol owned - thanks for making the effort though vvv

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 3, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Calling it now, dude's getting a cut of the action, probably instigated the robbery himself.

oh almost certainly, which is what half the people in the thread are telling her

even if (by some miracle) he isn't, she still needs to gtfo

Beachcomber posted:

Butt implant husband is right.

this is one of those cases where I want to know more, but also side with the husband b/c impulse(?) buying shady Mexican butt implants on a girl's weekend probably is indicative of some deeper underlying issues

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not catering my wedding?

The wedding industry might be a scam, but pay for some loving catering at your own drat party, you idiots

yeah you can just host the ceremony if that's your thing, but if you're going to host a reception actually do it properly

which does not need to be expensive! no one made them choose an inflexible venue that only uses a single caterer - that sort of limitation should be the very first thing you look at when evaluating a venue for a reception (after "do I like it?" and "is it big enough for my guests and is transportation workable") because it dictates the total cost of venue rental and a lot of the tone of the meal/party

they'd be way better off doing the ceremony and then just having the reception be a BBQ at someone's house/property or a public park later that afternoon

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Does anyone on earth enjoy going to weddings? Or buying grown rear end adults things like measuring cups for signing a legal contract that is beneficial to both of them? It's the most entitled, narcissistic event one could imagine that we do by social construct. I thought the unspoken social agreement is that I'm going to do this thing that I am absolutely not doing for any reason than feeling obligated and you are going to make it worth my time by giving me a god drat roast beef sandwich or something.

weddings, properly done, are awesome

the secret is that they're not really about the bride and groom, they're about the community around the bride and groom marking a life passage and then all coming together to enjoy a good party with one another

if it's oriented around creating a series of "perfect moments" for a "special day," religious ceremony, etc. it'll be interminable and aggravating, if it's a short ceremony celebrating a couple's love followed by that couple's best attempt to show their guests a good time it'll be a blast

what's not to like about sharing good food, music, dancing, and drinks with the friends and family you love?

(as mentioned above: providing your guests with free booze is a very important component because, once again, you're trying to throw a good party)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ah yes, academia, that place famously lacking in petty tyrants and gleefully unempathetic exploitation of the underclass

I've also not noticed a real shortage of people with Masters and PHD's loving themselves some boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

some pretty darn good ones this week imo

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1151534561152708608

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1151534564612956160

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1151534568677228546

e: most are obvious, but that preacher clearly just didn't use enough holy water

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 17, 2019