Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Itch goon, please video yourself applying Listerine to your balls and submit the link for our entertainment scientific research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Regardless of whether this one is true it makes sense and is 100% in character for him

Stopped believing at "generous tip"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Broken Dick is going to be my next username

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Wait, I'm remembering a line from Game of Thrones now about a slice of ginger minge or something, so I guess it is both A Thing and An England Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

Should everyone steal based on their convictions?

No, but I find it pretty hard to feel bad for a company that makes record profits by using suppliers in third-world countries that have to install safety netting because there are too goddamn many employees throwing themselves off the building in an effort to end their miserable serfdom.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Eikre posted:

Can anybody show me an example of a bisexual person anywhere on earth who is not down for loving androgynes? Can anybody point to even a single bisexual person anywhere in the history of man who, in the face of a rakish twink or pixie chick, gets all pedantic and goes, like, "exCUSE me, I said bi sexual, it is Latin for twice sexual, and I have used up all those sexual. Man or woman, that's it. Just the two. Can't have any kind of short-haired vaginahaver or a freak who has neither chest hair nor big swinging titties. It just wouldn't add up. I cannot transpose any individual trait or or collection thereof from one gender configuration to the other and still deal with it, that would be more than two possibilities! It is simple math and logic."

Nah, man. "Pansexual" doesn't have anything to do with gender orientation, it actually means "My crippling lack of nuance has made me so socially desperate that I will gently caress you even if you are an agendered blob whose most apparent sexual characteristic is a growth of fruiting bodies."

too bad this confession wasn't anonymous

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Magic goon: "magic" does not exist. Even if the things you saw and the things you believe you've done have actually happened, that's not "magic", that's "technology you don't understand." A person popping in and out could be any number of technologies that may exist, but that society in general is not aware of, like invisibility (through either light manipulation or mental manipulation), transportation (through wormholes or whatever), or time manipulation.

Piece-of-poo poo goon: the only thing making you a piece of poo poo in your little consensual clusterfuck is the humblebrag and ridiculously obvious fishing for approval. gently caress off.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

"Magic doesn't exist, it was obviously teleportation or invisibility."

There are "invisibility" technologies currently existing, it's not too far out there to suppose somebody might have something more sophisticated than what the general populace is currently aware of.

However, it was most likely hallucination.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lots of things that are "clearly" supernatural are just magical thinking, bears, swamp gas or bears huffing swamp gas. If spells worked then you would be able to repeat the same spell to get the same effect, rather than no actual effect like in real life.

If somebody from two hundred years ago heard you talk to a small box that then answered your questions, they would most likely think it magic, not technology. Saying "Hey Siri" might seem like a magic spell.

You could use currently-existing voice and gesture recognition software to make, say, a door open when you say a certain phrase and wave your hands around in a particular manner. Right now, it would be pretty easy to spot the technology, but advances in miniaturization, solar power collection, and battery technology could get us to the point where finding such technology would be difficult for anybody who didn't know what they were looking for. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine us building such things, blowing ourselves to poo poo a few years later, and then ignorant generations later stumbling across it. Would they think it was technology, or magic?

edit: I guess this whole conversation begs the question... is the general population aware of the most advanced technologies in existence, or are there techs that are only available to certain government entities? I personally think there's not much significant that's not public, but it's hard to say for sure.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

But advanced technology doesn't just show up in your back yard one evening to gently caress with you.

Which is why I said it was most likely hallucination.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

People always use it incorrectly too

Sorry :(

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

the gooniest Wile E Coyote

This is literally a meme ("We Are Number One"). Props to the poster on the "losing hair" bit as I'm guessing that's an intentional reference to the chemo treatment the actor's going through.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
dick touch wanter goon: a relationship won't make you happy. Happiness comes from within, not without. You can be in a lovely life situation and be happy, just like you can be in a great life situation and be miserable. It could simply be a matter of perspective, or it could be some deeper issue that you don't even know you have that's causing your anxiety.

Your therapist is right: you need introspection, through whatever means gets you there. If you're not wild on the options she's given you, I suggest finding some organization that allows you to build up your socialization skills in a structured, non-threatening environment, like Toastmasters or a fraternal organization, or doing some volunteer work for a cause you believe in. They might not directly address your issues, but they will likely lead you to your core.

Becoming happy with yourself will put you in the right frame of mind to find and be happy in a relationship. My other advice for you is: don't look for a relationship. It's like trying hard to remember something you've forgotten, it almost never works. Just put it out of your mind, focus on everything else in your life, and it will come to you.

Unless you're an ugly fat gently caress, in which case you're doomed lol

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

Lots of people living with their parents these days, it kind of surprises me. I guess the wealth disparity in many western countries is to blame for that one. In a lot of poorer countries this isn't really unusual at all though, lots of people still living with their parents well into their 30s until they get married and then sometimes even afterwards. Culturally, you will also find in these countries that the focus is more on family and friends, less on career because everyone is poor anyways and there's not much sense in pretending like we westerners love to do. I have read in some news article some weeks ago that especially the millenials in my country are shafted regarding income, general wealth, debt etc.. As a result, the middle class basically silently became an endangered species in only about 20 years. This of course has a snowball effect on general social coherency and the willingness to start families etc.. I have no idea what the situation in the US is but I am assuming it's not all that different. I'm a bit older and have my own roof over the head but I certainly do not have the kind of financial security my parents did, which I say without shame. Having that kind of security is just impossible these days. I weep for Gen Z, they will in very many ways not know the freedoms I did.

On a personal note, I see nothing wrong with living with your parents as long as you get along. Just try not to be a deadbeat, you're younger so do work around the house, go shopping etc.. use your income to buy household stuff that's needed or some luxuries everyone can use. Be a provider. I'm pretty sure it'll also make you feel better about yourself. It might be hard because many parents still see a child when they look at their kid, no matter if that kid is 5 or 50, and don't want to accept any help but try. I remember what a fight I had with my Dad who barely can climb a ladder to let me paint some rooms in their house. I know it's not en vogue to think like that these days but it's especially hard for men to see their sons surpass them physically.

Our son still lives with us at 23, and probably will for a few more years at least. It's a much different world from when we were his age. Youth unemployment is horrific, for a lot of reasons... jobs are being automated out of existence, and fewer people are retiring, like, ever. It's not unusual to see a plurality of wrinkly people working at your local McDonald's. In a low-demand job like burger-flipper, you're drat right the average manager is going to hire the person who is the most likely to work like they mean it and least likely to bitch about it all the time (even if these are only perceptions and not necessarily the truth).

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Freemasons

I can't speak to the rest of the organizations you tried to join, but I can tell you that the Freemasons tried to dissuade you because it's not an occult organization. It's merely occult-adjacent, because some notable occultists were Freemasons, and some occult organizations have co-opted some of the symbols of Freemasonry.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

lady

you are 42 years old

stop being 14 please

like, by your age you should probably know that this kind of fixation is not "love"

I actually totally understand this one... I'm in love with Bård Ylvisåker too, but he's Norwegian, not Finnish.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah this is true. My dad was a member when he was younger and he said it was essentially a drinking club for older men who occasionally liked to play dressup. He said the most interesting topics of discussion during meetings were such spooky topics as whether to have lasagna or spaghetti for the dinner next meeting.

Or maybe that's just the cover story they gave him :tinfoil:

It's a lot of things to a lot of people. Many enjoy it purely for the social aspect, but there are a lot of members who really enjoy the symbolism and other esoteric subjects. Lodge discussions can (and have) included math, geometry, physics, biology, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, etc. Anything under the sun except politics and religion.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Stolen idea goon: thanks for coming up with Amazon Go! Looking forward to when it rolls out in Wal*Mart.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Also, it's pronounced "sword"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

scrubs season six posted:

My therapist put her hands all over me while "helping" me put me outerwear on but "I didn't notice a thing."

No no, some guys really are that dense. I say this from personal experience.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey Trump conspiracy dude: he's been talking about the immigration ban for literally years, I doubt he's had that much forewarning of an attack that would happen specifically in the first 90 days after inauguration of ~whoever~.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

scratch off tickets probably tho

I will never truly understand people who are that overweight. I read their weight and just thinking of it sounds uncomfortable. I was a pudgy teenager (not even fat by todays' teenagers standards around here) and I still remember to this day how uncomfortable I was with that excess weight. I lost that weight after being drafted and I never felt better in my life. If you are looking for a *dramatic* change, give weight loss a try. I bet you will feel a lot better and it could lead to a new you with new confidence.

Significant weight loss is much more difficult than modest weight loss, hth

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anton Chigurh posted:

How the hell do you and your wife even get "intimate" with each other at 320 pounds apiece, short of masturbating each other? Do friends hold your panniculi out of the way so you can have intercourse? Are your bed's boxsprings made of solid steel to keep them from breaking?

So many questions...but I don't really want to know the answers. I'm grossed out just thinking about it.

don't hurt yourself

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Never bet money you can't afford to lose.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

Hahaha "my ex painted me to be a bad guy, when I'm really not, so I murdered her cat and fed it to her"

When you put it in that context, it's actually kind of funny in a Dadaist sort of way

Sounds like somebody's writing Trump fanfic

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to know how someone goes from regularly paying a mortgage to homeless in less than two months. Even in foreclosure-hungry places like the US this seems excessively quick.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

rear end in a top hat boss goon: uhhh so what's the problem here? Also you do realize that that recording almost certainly isn't admissible in any court, although you could show it to his bosses, although they probably won't give a poo poo.

Read that fesh again, slower this time.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Either way she soon turned to marijuana and reduced her hours at work so maybe it was for the best that babby wasn't born to this woman after all.

Nice bait.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I accidentally said "Thanks Mom" to an older woman at work. I am a grown man and have been mocked relentlessly since then. I think I might have to find a new job, it's that bad.

If you get mocked relentlessly for a slip that literally everybody makes in one form or another at some point in their lives, you definitely do need to find a less childish place to work.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Aw nice KomodoWagon is gonna say some real hosed up poo poo yall get ready

You were right!

:golfclap:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy poo poo I went sixteen years without getting layed but I didnt revert to some MRA wierdo, loving kids these days. :smuggo:

You registered on SA when you were 1?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

assblasted gimp

mods please change my username to this

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lancemantis posted:

tbh it's less that extreme weight loss impacts your metabolism in most cases and more that the core of extreme dieters, obese people, already have metabolic issues that weight loss alone can't resolve

Yeah, I lost 130 lbs "slowly" (about a year and a half), am sitting around 200 lbs, and maintenance for me is around 1800 cal. Normal for my stats is 2300 cal.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

timefly posted:

I refuse to believe a human can be this dumb

Oh, were you on hiatus the couple of years the Fat is Beautiful threads were around?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

[23M] white guy dating half black [23F] girl for 5yrs. Things are getting serious, but I'm not sure if I am okay with a black baby in the future.

here's some advice: wait until you can actually behave like an adult before having a goddamn kid

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Nooner: :therapy:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Uncle Cousin, as long as the kid is in a loving home and the information is presented in a not-overwrought manner, they'll be just fine. Single-generation cousin-level inbreeding is seriously loving nothing compared to the royals around the world. Relax.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
pretty sure that's fake

god, just the thought of trying to schedule and book a hotel is making me tired

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Every time you have an erection you should feel deep shame about being unable to control your filthy body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Maybe it'd help if you talked about it more like an addiction? That seems to fit the definition pretty well.

Unfortunately, that generally leads to idiots kramering in at light-speed to declare that there's no such thing as food addiction, you're just a lazy slob with no willpower.