Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Guyver posted:

One of the best videos on the "just learn bjj for all the street fights you obviously get into" crap is the one where the bjj bro gets a guy in an arm bar on the ground and oops guy whips out a knife in his free hand and stabs bjj bro to death.

Yeah Congratulations man you had floor control or whatever with your magic grappling.

Or the MMA video where bjj bro gets a guy into a submission but the other guy just stands up with him.

BJJ is terrible for defense against knives. You want JJJ or HEMA for that, or a gun, or just run away like was said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

doverhog posted:

BJJ is terrible for defense against knives. You want JJJ or HEMA for that, or a gun, or just run away like was said.

This

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Your JJJ is no match for my JJJJ.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Went back to yhe gym for the first time in like 2 months after starting bjj, and man my work capacity just loving shot up. Getting just the barest fraction of fighter level cardio...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
well well well… if it isn’t the bjj brothers

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i have to warn you, my bjj crystal is fully charged

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mozi posted:

i have to warn you, my bjj crystal is fully charged
is that what they’re calling CTE now?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You do NOT get cte from bjj, you only completely destroy the ligaments in your knees!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

Try starting with the bar in your fingers, not your hands, and use straps to save your hands if your still losing skin until your grip strength catches up.

This helped me. Dead lift max now at 145 kg.

Of course I slipped on ice yesterday and injured my knee. Doctor said it's not broken or ligament torn that she could see, but still putting weight on it hurts. Have to brace myself with my hands to get up from a sitting position.

Oh well, gotta eat lots of christmas ham to make it better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hate ice so much. loving bullshit gains killer

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...
In what is becoming a New Year's tradition, I started Building the Monolith again. Still loving sucks the best program I've ever run

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

doverhog posted:

This helped me. Dead lift max now at 145 kg.

Of course I slipped on ice yesterday and injured my knee. Doctor said it's not broken or ligament torn that she could see, but still putting weight on it hurts. Have to brace myself with my hands to get up from a sitting position.

Oh well, gotta eat lots of christmas ham to make it better.

Forgot I saw this. Glad it helped and hope you're healing up quickly to set the number higher.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

My knee is ok now, but I tweaked my back a bit, and also went on a cut. So, so far, 145 kg is still my max.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The men's changeroom and shower at my gym is at the rear end-end of a HIIT studio, and i often have to politely dodge through folks in the middle of a circuit. It's not ideal.

This morning i successfully navigated through the class. While I'm changing to shower, a dude walks in as the HIIT class carries on in the background. He makes a comment about the class being too intense for him, and I remark about the exercise being good for a person. He says, " I dunno, if I wanted to get yelled at first thing in the morning, I'd have stayed home," and I couldn't help but tell him, "sounds like you might want to reevaluate your relationship, then." He's silent for a beat and says, "Yeah, that's what my parents say, too." I'm 41, and the guy isn't a young man, older than me, maybe by a generation.

That was the first "complain about your spouse" comment from a stranger I've gotten in casual conversation. I know, conceptually, complaining about your spouse is a way that some people, primarily men, socialize by, but I never saw it in the wild. Made me realize I'm really lucky to be marrying my best friend.

Anyhow I PR'd 225lbsx2 on the bench press today so that rules

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The men's changeroom and shower at my gym is at the rear end-end of a HIIT studio, and i often have to politely dodge through folks in the middle of a circuit. It's not ideal.

This morning i successfully navigated through the class. While I'm changing to shower, a dude walks in as the HIIT class carries on in the background. He makes a comment about the class being too intense for him, and I remark about the exercise being good for a person. He says, " I dunno, if I wanted to get yelled at first thing in the morning, I'd have stayed home," and I couldn't help but tell him, "sounds like you might want to reevaluate your relationship, then." He's silent for a beat and says, "Yeah, that's what my parents say, too." I'm 41, and the guy isn't a young man, older than me, maybe by a generation.

That was the first "complain about your spouse" comment from a stranger I've gotten in casual conversation. I know, conceptually, complaining about your spouse is a way that some people, primarily men, socialize by, but I never saw it in the wild. Made me realize I'm really lucky to be marrying my best friend.

Congratulations! Also, Congratulations!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My best friend got into conspiracy theories and is now at least Qanon adjacent and I don’t want any interaction with them beyond occasional polite text messages.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My other best friend died of esophageal cancer a couple years ago.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
from eating too much pussy, no doubt. rip

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

bird with big dick posted:

My best friend got into conspiracy theories and is now at least Qanon adjacent and I don’t want any interaction with them beyond occasional polite text messages.

bird with big dick posted:

My other best friend died of esophageal cancer a couple years ago.

I'm sorry for both of your losses. That sucks.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
why does blender bottle keep changing the loving thread pitch? i have one brand of shaker bottle and they are all identical except half of the lids won’t work with the other half, and in too deep to just throw them all away and start over

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

2 plates on bench...... Welcome to the club my man

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It will never be enough though... Thinking about the brosciencelife quote "The day you finally commit to going to the gym is the day you realize youll be small and weak forever."

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Absolutely true. I'm in the best shape of my life and all I can think of is "how can I maintain five days in the gym plus karate plus a marriage plus a job plus plus plus"

In the meantime, I'll take my wins where I can, hah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean it's nice to be nearing 50 and look in the mirror and be able to go "yeeeeaahhh :smuggo:"

After having looked like an endomorphic Napoleon Dynamite throughout my 20s

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Absolutely true. I'm in the best shape of my life and all I can think of is "how can I maintain five days in the gym plus karate plus a marriage plus a job plus plus plus"

In the meantime, I'll take my wins where I can, hah.

Throw a few kids into the mix. You will unlock your true potential.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Throw a few kids into the mix. You will unlock your true potential.

"Yeah I just take lil' DJ Fuckboy Supreme in his bassinet, he's got his noise-canceling headphones on and I tuck him away from the main track. He's gotta watch his old man crush his WOD and I've already got 1/4lb weighted bracelets and anklets on him to prepare him for a life of worship at the Iron Temple."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Perhaps he'll one day wear a bascinet.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Hex bar deadlifts today. Maxed out on 3 sets of 315lbsX2. Crediting two and a half months of an additional half hour of core work to those lifts. I've almost got abs!

Just need to cut fifteen pounds or so lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hex bar deadlifts today. Maxed out on 3 sets of 315lbsX2. Crediting two and a half months of an additional half hour of core work to those lifts. I've almost got abs!

God, I haven't used a hex bar in forever. I really liked it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Batterypowered7 posted:

:nice:

Batterypowered7 posted:

My gym got one of those open trap bars and it was an absolute revelation. Probably my favorite piece of equipment in the gym now.

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...

Hell yeah

Switched to almost exclusively using the trap bar for DLs after an injury last summer. I can still get a good hinge but I just don't feel like I'm compromising my lower back when I'm pushing my limits and form starts to break down a bit

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'd love to use a trap bar but the work basement gym doesn't have one. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

I'd love to use a trap bar but the work basement gym doesn't have one. :shrug:

Be the change for $64.99

https://a.co/d/7jegpfs

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

time for a title change it’s 2024 we about lunking & that lunk life now

doverhog
May 31, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Be the change for $64.99

https://a.co/d/7jegpfs

I might actually put in a request to management, tho that one is not gonna be available in Finland.

*i assume without looking, if i was wrong sorry played the odds

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

it’s 2024 we about lunking & that lunk life now

Thread title pls

I am now what I hated when I began, a ruthless, gym-circuiting WOD-hog who lifts big and eats big

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

doverhog posted:

I might actually put in a request to management, tho that one is not gonna be available in Finland.

*i assume without looking, if i was wrong sorry played the odds

Tell your work to get this instead https://eleiko.com/en-us/equipment/bars/specialty/3085748-03-eleiko-oppen-bar-black?redirect=true

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah this is the much better option just more expensive.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Thread title pls

I am now what I hated when I began, a ruthless, gym-circuiting WOD-hog who lifts big and eats big

U forgot the third part of this triumvirate it’s “lift big eat big poo poo big”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

“lift big eat big poo poo big”

Also acceptable thread title tia