Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Its not a real poop unless you’ve filled the bowl past the water, otherwise its just a messy fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i just put in a new bidet in the spare bathroom :c00l:

now i gotta call an electrician so we can get an outlet for a fancy heated one in the main bath

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

This is a lot more than I need, so I just now put in the request (sent email saying it would be good for everyone that uses the gym) for a much cheaper bar. I'll let you (the thread) know what happens.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 16, 2024

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TenementFunster posted:

why does blender bottle keep changing the loving thread pitch? i have one brand of shaker bottle and they are all identical except half of the lids won’t work with the other half, and in too deep to just throw them all away and start over
I have always assumed that they just manufacture with really wide tolerances and there is some sad chinese factory where some one is sadly trying to find a container and a lid that happen to fit together.

This is because I bought two of the same one once about ten years ago and neither cap fit on the other container.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog posted:

This is a lot more than I need, so I just now put in the request (sent email saying it would be good for everyone that uses the gym) for a much cheaper bar. I'll let you (the thread) know what happens.

I received a positive message back saying it would be seriously considered and thank you for the message, and that it should fit into the budget, so fingers crossed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

gvibes posted:

I have always assumed that they just manufacture with really wide tolerances and there is some sad chinese factory where some one is sadly trying to find a container and a lid that happen to fit together.

This is because I bought two of the same one once about ten years ago and neither cap fit on the other container.
all the pitches are so wide that they have to be doing this on purpose or don’t care to keep it consistent.

i’m either gonna throw away all lids or just buy a batch of ten at once because i am so sick of this poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

I received a positive message back saying it would be seriously considered and thank you for the message, and that it should fit into the budget, so fingers crossed.

Awesome! It’s a great tool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there some kind of new barefoot epidemic fad that I missed? Seems like half of the population isn't wearing any shoes and some skip the socks too

Get some shoes, you bums.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
How the hell am I going to channel the power of Gaia through my feet if I wear shoes, idiot

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Going barefoot and/or wearing slides, Birks or Crocs are all SUPER IN at the gym rn for absolute loving idiot 20-somethings

Like I’m close to canceling my gym membership and signing up at the one 15 minutes further away because I can’t go to the gym without seeing two to three peoples feet and I have politely asked the management to get a grip on it three distinct times and they won’t enforce the “wear god damned shoes” policy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Barefoot is legal, my man.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

At least people's feet are a little grippy. I always used to feel concerned when I'd see someone step out of their shoes to squat in their socks. Those things are slippery and the commercial gym I went to had smooth floors!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I take my shoes off to deadlift

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I take off other people's shoes before I deadlift.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Should be outlawed, if it is

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
People should remove their feet before entering a gym

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bird with big dick posted:

I remember reading about some bacteria or worm that entered your body through your feet, just like that

edit: Besides the obvious and more common feet fungus issues ofc, but having worms coming out of your feet just definitely struck an image

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

People should remove their feet before entering a gym

You'd like that wouldn't you? Pervert.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I have a workout "ethos" and I'm sure it's been done before, but this is it:
I lift weights almost every day, but lighter weights, and only one set with a higher rep count.
I do so with slow and methodical form to maximize the lifts, but I also do this workout at high pace.
I take no breaks, or, as breaks I do things like squats or steps or side steps. Always moving.
Such that's its like a cardio workout, or close to it, but with weights. And while I fully realize the weights aren't heavy and massive, I am lifting almost every day. With good form.

So, has this idea already been done by someone else? I'd love to know about it if so..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You are nearly describing CrossFit

The good form bit isn’t CrossFit though

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
why dont you lift heavy weights....?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

They're heavy Buschmaki

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

why dont you lift heavy weights....?

I want to be strong and fast rather than some big muscle guy.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Lifting light weights slowly is unlikely to make you strong and fast.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

redshirt posted:

Get into olympic weightlifting, high rep ranges are usually for hypertrophy (muscle mass building) and make you bigger

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there some kind of new barefoot epidemic fad that I missed? Seems like half of the population isn't wearing any shoes and some skip the socks too

Get some shoes, you bums.
gotta be a tiktok/influencer thing, as with all weird gym trends since March 2020

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Get into olympic weightlifting, high rep ranges are usually for hypertrophy (muscle mass building) and make you bigger

Chuckling at the thought of someone wondering why their clothes keep fitting tighter and tighter, not realizing they've been doing hypertrophy work the entire time.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also maybe have someone show you olympic lifts so you dont hurt yourself

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Batterypowered7 posted:

Chuckling at the thought of someone wondering why their clothes keep fitting tighter and tighter, not realizing they've been doing hypertrophy work the entire time.
“i don’t want to get too bulky”

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Isn't this the opposite of what I was talking about?

Weight lifting is so weird.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

redshirt posted:

It's too late. You've already primed the pump and now your muscles are going to grow for months. Better start saving up for a new wardrobe.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

non-lunkers vacate!

rename thread: Thread for real Lunk-heads only (no jabronis bitch)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

redshirt posted:

Typical GBS fitness discourse

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
“oops, i accidentally turned into a big muscle guy because i was doing exercise the wrong way!” is such a loving classic goon attitude

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

redshirt posted:

Well you wont get bulky if youre in a calorie surplus, but paradoxically using lighter weights to do lots of reps is what makes you grow the biggest. If you look at olympic weightlifters, theyre all super strong while being way smaller than bodybuilders. But if you really wanna get strong and you dont have a prior history of like weird relationships with food it's WAAAAY faster to just bulk and then cut, and even if you lose muscle you'll be stronger than if you'd had tried recomping and it'll happen way faster

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The science behind it is that time under tension is what provides a hypertrophic stimulus to the muscles, so by working out in higher rep ranges youre maximizing the time that your muscles are under tension which will cause them to grow bigger than if you do fewer, heavier lifts

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hi rep, low weight, daily high energy like almost aerobics

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i don’t know about you guys, but i definitely have the latent genetic superpowers that would make me an immediate contender for Mister Olympia, so i dare not lift anything heavier than a 2 liter of Code Red, in order to spare humanity from this horrifically unfair advantage that lurks within my superior DNA

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

redshirt posted:

Hi rep, low weight, daily high energy like almost aerobics

This is literally what bodybuilders do to get big and not strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Goon stumbles over hypertrophy/bodybuilding workout to not get big and bulky, is now the next in line to get a pro card at the IFBB.

Luckily I spend multiple hours a week in the gym trying real hard to lift my weights and still feel weak and small.

Maybe he and I can switch