Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Squats and chocolate milk. I still yell that at random women who complain their workouts aren't doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

I've been doing front squats lately. And 2 second pause at quarter or half squat on the way up back squats. They are both very annoying for entirely different reasons.

Front squat because I have to use straps and have to fight forward lean hard near the bottom, pause because come on it just sucks pausing there.

It sucks pausing there because that's where the greatest compressive force occurs on the knee. You're loving up bad, bro.

If you're going to pause do it below parallel.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

E_P posted:

I remember when SA was all about squat variations like zercker squats and stuff. Like what the heck boys.

only squatting on the gym alphas D itt

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My hetero gym partner is gone for two weeks, this is gonna be hard 😓🔫

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Just like my D when i am in the sauna with dudes. J/k fam but for real can you stand a lil closer when you spot my bench?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FedEx Mercury posted:

My hetero gym partner is gone for two weeks, this is gonna be hard 😓🔫

:qq:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Some guy asked me to spot him doing squats on the Smith machine. I was all, "how exactly do you want me to do that?". He said, "stand real close behind me and put one of your forearms on my lower back and another in front of me across my abs".

I said, "Nah, bro it's the Smith machine you'll be good" and walked away.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

But i needed to feel a mans embrace, it's been so long, and you denied me.

I think I destroyed my shins and calves running. It's what I get for doing cardio. Time to let them heal and never do legs and cardio ever again.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
i think it's funny when guys do the hug spotting bc ya'll smell real bad and that's the best place to find out how bad

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Cobra Commander posted:

:smith: :hf: :smithicide:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

It sucks pausing there because that's where the greatest compressive force occurs on the knee. You're loving up bad, bro.

If you're going to pause do it below parallel.
It's in the program to pause there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 10, 2016

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

it was pretty common to spot people while squatting at my old gym, wasn't gay

it was pretty common to suck each others dicks at my old gym, wasn't gay either

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

It's in the program to pause there.

Your program sucks.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Cobra Commander posted:

I think I destroyed my shins and calves running. It's what I get for doing cardio. Time to let them heal and never do legs and cardio ever again.

Running loving sucks, when I am forced to do cardios I usually do some poo poo like intervals at an exercise bike.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Why is rowing infinitely harder than every form of cardio besides swimming? Why is water so hard tho.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cobra Commander posted:

Why is rowing infinitely harder than every form of cardio besides swimming? Why is water so hard tho.

Are you actually rowing or using the ergometer?

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Depends on who's asking :wink:

I've done both and both are literal torture.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh come on it's not that bad.

But yes water is 1000x as dense as air, that's why it's such a great workout.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FedEx Mercury posted:

Oh come on it's not that bad.

But yes water is 1000x as dense as air, that's why it's such a great workout.

so is your mom!!!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I would hope everybody's mom is at least as dense as water, otherwise you're talking about a huge bf%

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
water owns, it absolutely owns

drink a lot of it my friends

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Your program sucks.
It doesn't go above 70% 1rm on reps that pause there, and it's a fairly widely used program. It's also only in one of the four week cycles, the lightest one overall, and it has helped immensely with form.

I'm not buying that it will hurt your knees. If it were true then squatting, even below parallel, would hurt your knees eventually because you're applying the same force every rep just for less time. And the programming isn't "half squats" it's pause in half squat position then finish the rep with a relatively light weight. There are plenty of normal back squats and front squats in the programming as well, often on the same day.

I get that terminal half squatters who use heavy weight often have knee problems. It makes sense, but the volume isn't there. 32 reps total in the 4 weeks, if I just ran the 4 cycles over and over it'd be something like 96-128 reps per year depending and at low intensity.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 11, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

It doesn't go above 70% 1rm on reps that pause there, and it's a fairly widely used program. It's also only in one of the four week cycles, the lightest one overall, and it has helped immensely with form.

I'm not buying that it will hurt your knees. If it were true then squatting, even below parallel, would hurt your knees eventually because you're applying the same force every rep just for less time. And the programming isn't "half squats" it's pause in half squat position then finish the rep with a relatively light weight. There are plenty of normal back squats and front squats in the programming as well, often on the same day.

Below parallel the force on the joint at the point of greatest stress (accelerating up form a stop/downward movement) is trying to pull your knee apart, which your quadriceps are designed to work against.

Above parallel the force is compressive, trying to push your knee bits together. There is no muscle fighting that pressure.

There's no advantage to what you're doing. Your program is dumb.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

There's no advantage to what you're doing. Your program is dumb.
That same compressive force is on your knee before you break parallel and after you rise above it. Pausing for a second or two isn't going to break the bank.

The advantage is in form and controlling descent. When you pause at that position you tend to not excessively forward lean and do shift back a bit more. Which carries over nicely to correcting form when you aren't pausing. There are literally 2 days of them out of 4 months of programming. "My knee had a bit of extra compressive force, it is forever damaged" is not how the body works. I don't plan on running them in future cycles because the issue has already been corrected, but they were useful.

Saying a Sheiko program is dumb is kinda silly. The only thing dumb about Sheiko programs is they are time consuming, and if time were a limiting factor you'd be better served on something with less sets of higher reps.

edit: Like, think of it as impulse placed upon the knee. It's likely not going to be 10x more than a normal rep, and even if it were that's completely acceptable given the rep scheme for the paused squats is 3x1 @ 50%, 3x1 @ 60%, 3x4@70% in reps x sets.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 11, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ever since I twerked my back on those pullups I've been getting random pains there doing simple things like pulling a box or bending down.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FedEx Mercury posted:

Ever since I twerked my back on those pullups I've been getting random pains there doing simple things like pulling a box or bending down.

sounds like sciatica, which is just a pinched nerve, if it keeps up go to a physical therapist and have them check you out (DO NOT go to a chiropractor they will make it worse)

e: I'm no doctor, but I had that happen before after eating poo poo really hard skiing and that's what the problem was for me. If it's the same thing then good news for you because it's a solvable problem that won't require, like, surgery or anything crazy like that

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 11, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It's only sciatica if he strained his low back or glutes doing pull ups :crossarms:

Sounds like more a bottoming-in-the-sauna-gone-wrong thing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've also been squeezing my glutes super hard lately and feeling pops. Is it normal for tailbone to pop?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

FedEx Mercury posted:

I've also been squeezing my glutes super hard lately and feeling pops. Is it normal for tailbone to pop?

Only if your spotter's smacking it

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

Uhhhh maybe? If it doesn't hurt, don't worry. Tailbone is vestigial anyway.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
booyah

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

That same compressive force is on your knee before you break parallel and after you rise above it. Pausing for a second or two isn't going to break the bank.

Force is mass times acceleration. Descending or ascending at a steady rate through that portion of the lift creates far less force than moving after a pause or change in direction.

This is basic maths.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But if you're only doing a little bit of pointlessly damaging nonsense I guess it's alright.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Force is mass times acceleration. Descending or ascending at a steady rate through that portion of the lift creates far less force than moving after a pause or change in direction.

This is basic maths.

sassassin posted:

But if you're only doing a little bit of pointlessly damaging nonsense I guess it's alright.
hey bud, ever heard of newton's third law?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 12, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Newton wrote some brutal poo poo about Sheiko on is blog.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

FedEx Mercury posted:

welcome to back pain - dont do anything for a month or it will never go away.

Its likely just a strained muscle. I have recurring piriformis problems and I get the popping too. If it was really hurt you would know it.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
If squats paused at your sticking point break your knees you probably had a garbage body anyway

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

If squats paused at your sticking point break your knees you probably had a garbage body anyway

:agreed:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Acelerion posted:

welcome to back pain - dont do anything for a month or it will never go away.

Its likely just a strained muscle. I have recurring piriformis problems and I get the popping too. If it was really hurt you would know it.

Huh. Good to know.

In other news, why do I keep swimming. This is horrifying.

:feelsgood:

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Having trouble cutting weight? Soylent food bars have you covered.