Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Day 5 of the 4kcal diet.

Not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tolkien minority posted:

Unless you're on roids, run a marathon every day or are like a jacked 6 5 there is 0 reason to be eating that much, unless you wanna get fat I guess
Not jacked or on roids, but I am 6'2 and run 50 mpw. 3800 calories was an estimate for moderate workout days with +250 cal for bulking and +400 cal for running. Having lived off 2300 calories for the past 6 months, I'm cautious but amused by the amount of food I'm stuffing in my face now without bursting like an overcooked sausage. Will adjust if that changes.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I want to bulk!

*runs 50 miles per week*

:frogdowns:
I get what you're saying, and it's against the spirit of this thread, but I like running and I'm not going to be too broken up if I spend a month eating everything and doing what I normally do without gaining weight.

The GOMAD guy was one of Rippetoe's disciples. Mr. FrogTech did something else horrible:

quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer_ View Post
Most gains (fat) were made in 3 months.
I didnt understand the concepts of anything.
As a result
- I overtrained (by a long shot). My training was in fact consistent. So consistent that my cns never had a chance to recover.
- I over ate by about 3,500 calories above my maintenance daily.
- The packet rice was packed with sodium, Hence the inflation in my face.

lol gotta love all the assumptions made with followup conclusions based on said assumptions.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Two weeks later and 4kcal is still not enough, weighing in 1lb less than when I started. Lifts still good. Upping my salami but cautious of the sodium, would prefer not to drink my calories, either. Every poo poo has nuts in it.

Maybe 4,500 calories will make this a maintenance period.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
No, but I play one on the internet

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
He who deadlifts relieves himself the pain of being a man.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
If I find any resolutioners in my gym Imma do 'em

Yes, I have a home gym (wah-waaaah)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Lifting for the mirror is so when there's a fire and your momma is trapped under a beam you can go "Sorry momma, it's too heavy for my 1RM. But look at my sweat abs!" and you she can spend her last moments in awe of the sculpted muscle she helped bring into this world.

Only I don't have abs either sorry momma i fail u

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I think everyone went from "Everyone should be taking creatine" to "Nobody take creatine" within a 5 year period where it turned out it will speed up hair loss.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
But 1 is an easy number to remember.

"How many grams of protein per lb? 1"
"How many reps in the next set? 1"
"How many plates on my squat? 1"

We're all #1

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not.

35, 45, 45, 25.

I'm guessing 345 at most.
Congrats to Rick Flair for surviving 2016 but I LOL'd when some articles corrected it to "Rick Flair deadlifts over 400 285 lbs" Hope I'm still lifting when I'm in my late 60s

Edit - Facebook

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Rick Flair has deadlifted more than I will ever lift in my life, for sure

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'll admit that as a beginner I wasted a lot of time and effort because I didn't know who to listen to for advice. A trainer would only have helped if I knew a good one from a bad one, and knew that a full-body periodization split was less effective than a simple complex barbell program.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Oh god, I went back and looked at my training logs from when I first started lifting in my teens and I had no idea what I was doing. I'm not even worried about the weights, just the plans make no sense for a beginner, there's no kind of coherency to the rep/sets, and there's so many accessories. "Wasted youth"

quote:

Seated Shoulder Press (Dumbbell) - 70.0 lbs 16, 13, 9, 10
Dumbbell Front Raise - 30.0 lbs 7, 7, 7
Dumbbell Lat Raise - 30.0 lbs 7, 7, 7
Dumbbell Rear Delt - 70.0 lbs 7, 7, 7
Dips (Bench) - 29, 21, 20, 19
Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extension - 50.0 lbs 10, 9, 8, 6

quote:

Incline Dumbbell Press - 95.0lbs 15, 13, 10, 12 (more)
Dumbbell Press - 95.0 lbs 13, 9, 11 (more)
Dumbbell Fly - 70.0 lbs 15, 12, 12
Push-up - 12
Ab Crunch - 15, 15, 15, 15
Double Crunch - 15, 15, 15
Oblique Twist (Supine) - R: 15, 15 L: 15, 15

quote:

Dumbbell Curl - 60.0 lbs 15, 12, 8 (more)
Seated Hammer Curl (Alternating) - 30.0 lbs 12, 12, 12 (more)
Concentration Curl - 15.0 lbs R: 8, 10, 12 L: 8, 10, 12 (more)
Dumbbell Bent Over Row (Single Arm) - 60.0 lbs R: 10, 8, 6 (more) L: 10, 8, 6 (more)
Dumbbell 45 degree Bent Over Row (Single Arm) - 55.0 lbs R: 12, 10 L: 12, 10
Edit - There's not even a leg day. I went ahead a few months and found "Dumbbell Deadlift" lol

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It's a safe bet I was swinging them with awful form if not just recording it incorrectly (the other curls are 15-30lbs in the same rep range). Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I wouldn't want even 2 lbs to fall on my neck, but LOL at being found dead under the weight equivalent to a 12 year old girl. Please just tell my family it was a drug overdose.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Pesmerga posted:

I'm bulking at a small (+250 calories per day) surplus and I've somehow put on 2.5kg in three weeks. :stare:

Really hope most of that is water weight...
1-2 lbs/week is thought of as a healthy bulk, so good job? Really, you can remove your surplus and see if you're still making gains if it bothers you that much.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Fallows posted:

How is canceling your gym membership your first reaction to that instead of going to a doctor
America? :911:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

So where's the smart money at on that whole "Slug down all the protein in the house within 1 hour of your weight circuit workout to maximize absorption, don't bother with protein throughout the rest of the day" theory?

Malarkey? Or effective way?
It's recommended you keep feeding yourself small but frequent amounts of protein throughout the day (like 4-7 times), but timing large amounts doesn't seem to matter. If you're actually going to worry about protein, getting some slow-digesting source like casein before bed is a more significant thing to focus on. The only thing you really want to be hammering during and after your workout is carbs, and maybe avoiding fats or fiber during that time because it slows digestion.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I went back to ab wheel stuff 3 days ago and the first set everything went fine, then on the second set I could feel the muscles below my belly button had already been shredded like tissue paper (the bad kind of shredded) from 6 months of neglect. My core was still in shape from the big 4, but now when I sit-up or move I get a nice little surprise depending on which muscles are being used. I forgot how much abs get worked in chin-ups yesterday, too.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

E_P posted:

We have 3 options here:
*1st is this guy is potentially playing the long con. Waiting for someone to be like, uh bro you are hanging from the chest down in a perfect chin up only your arms move. When this happens he is gonna spring and be like you idiot I never specified how much theyre used obviously its 0, thus puppet mastering one of us. I would say 20%.
*2nd and more likey is this guy is kipping like a mad man on chinups but this one almost defines logic because if you kip from a neutral grip you are gonna be loving your wrists up because the forward momentum isnt stopped by a bar like on a pull up. I would say 75%.
*3rd and a late comer. This guy does not know what a chin up is and is confusing it for something else. I would put this at 5%.
I only said something because it surprised me, too, but certain abdominal muscles are most certainly stimulated by a pull/chin-up that aren't by the big 4. I was expecting a couple more days of recovery before another ab exercise and didn't expect it to be a factor (never was before). Made me paranoid that they would be a factor in deadlifts, but they weren't, only in the accessories I haven't done in 6 months. :shrug:

http://pullupbar-chinupbar.com/articles/muscles-worked-in-a-pull-up/

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

MikeCrotch posted:

A big part of that is weight loss though

Like it doesn't really matter how big your muscles are if you look like a walking chicken nugget
It matters to me!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Really, if you arch your back far enough the bench press eventually becomes a sort-of dip, sort of how the OHP becomes a standing bench press if you lean back far enough.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
People don't really drink the olive oil, right? I don't feel bad about adding some oil or heavy cream to my cooking, but I haven't gotten to the point of adding it to shakes.

Update - Operation Eat All The Things (EAtT) has progressed after 2 weeks of no weight gain, now to 3300/4200cal for off/on days.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'm physically incapable of doing some lifts properly in the morning. Deadlifts require 3 hours of nervous system bootup.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

This is about the most objective strength comparison you can get, based on 12,000+ actual competition results spanning 4 years in the largest, strictest, and most competitive drug-tested organization in the sport.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

a mysterious cloak posted:

Swole bros, my days of consuming entire cooked animals post-workout (or for lunch, snacks, breakfast) are over. My kidneys refuse to cooperate and will threaten to kill me if I don't cut down to about 150g per day (in addition to other dietary changes).

Pour out some whey in memory of my gains :rip:
My swoledolences, friend. :( As someone with an autoimmune kidney disease, I'll have to do the same sometime in my future (just testing and doing regular checkups for now). 150g seems like a fair amount to hit the recommended 0.8g/lb for muscle growth, though. Stay active and let us know how it goes.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
My first set of weights came from a local barbell shop and when I came home I found the bar weighed only 35 lbs with the clips on, making a supposed 300 lbs set actually 290 lbs. When I went back and told the manager about it he wouldn't swap out the bar and instead gave me an extra pair of 5 lbs plates to make up the difference and I settled. :(

Still have that rusty bar, actually

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Fartbox posted:

Maybe don't be poors

300 dollars in clothing is nothing

you loving peasants
In clothing, yeah, but in t-shirts? Does he wear two t-shirts a day, everyday?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
There should be some kind of clause in gym membership contracts that if you find someone dead with a barbell on their neck, you build it up to 3 plates before calling the authorities.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I have failed this deadlift thread.
Ruined my goddam week.
Should've gone to 395 this week, left 405 for the next cycle. I guess 385x3 is not the same as 405x1...
Not always, yes. Deadlift seems to be the one that will surprise/disappoint you the most. Just shrug it off and try again next time (or next month, it sounds like you're doing 5/3/1)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
When I'm doing longer workouts my sleep schedule tends to split into 3-4 hour chunks. Like, wake-up->run->work->sleep, then wake-up->lift->whatever->sleep in the same day. If I don't sleep after work my workout just draaaagggs and I still can't fall asleep until late anyway.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
IMHO, it's hard to predict a 1RM using a weight you can lift more than 5x. Even though everyone really gets off on the bragging rights on extra reps they can do in 5/3/1, I would just bump your training max next week instead of getting 12 reps on what is meant to be 3+.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

sassassin posted:

Okay but what's your shrug like?
:shrug:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Fat people in the same way that Hoarders episodes compel me to clean my house.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Gay bodybuilders?!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Umbilical hernia being repaired on Wednesday, last minute end of the year decision. It's preemptive and there's no pain yet, but with outpatient surgery I'm looking at a week with no running and four weeks with no lifting. That leaves me enough time to wrap up my 5/3/1 cycle for OHP and deadlift, not enough proper rest to do the others.

It's a little sad knowing that my last bench press of the year has already passed and <sniffle> I didn't even know it. :cry:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Oh hey, resolutioners are coming soon. How's everybody doing at the gym?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Bench in the power rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

hemale in pain posted:

What's wrong with all of your guys ribs. That's like the third I broke my ribs lifting story here.
Remember that after your baby ribs fall out, put them under your pillow before bed to get a scoop of creatine from the rib fairy.