Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I PR'd sumo straight bar DL this morning, 2repsX365lbs, then 1X365. The older dude I chat with is 2 years out of a knee replacement and was doing trap bar dl at 410lbs plus bar weight and made it look easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

FizFashizzle posted:

is 585 supposed to be heavy?

Lmao

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

in the coming week I'm going to try for 255x1, last PR was 250x2.

Well I made two reps at 255lbs, but I have to admit they were pretty shakey, especially the second one. Still going to keep at it though, I'd like to be at 260+ by the end of April

Also I hope to be as strong as that dude when I hit his age

Assuming the world still exists

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

"Liftygrammer" is new to me but lmao at how good it is. I like weightlifting from a completely phenomenalogical standpoint where our individual routines best reflect where we are in our fitness

JK NERDS YOUR DOING IT WRONG NOW BUY THE SUPPS I REP AND GET BLASTED

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I've also hosed up. I bought a heartrate monitor and and gone in an extra second hour (an hour's walk to and from the gym as well) for what the machines tell me is "fat burning."

RIP my gains :ghost:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

borat_MYWIFE.wav

I did something to my left shoulder 8 months ago and it's been a slow road to recovery. This morning I got a set of 8 reps at 60lb dumbbells over my head in standard shoulder press, then a set of 6 reps, then dropped to 55lbs and got 8 reps in. I felt pretty good about that.

Turns out yoga is pretty fuckin' hard, too.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yes it is.

I really wish I had more time to get it in. I really did enjoy going to yoga classes.

Also all the hot asses.

I've decided to make the Thursday drop in at my Y part of my evening rotation, and I'll probably do some work in my apartment to keep flexibility up since mine is :piss:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Fallows posted:

I've been lifting for seven years now and I've never pressed 2 plates can i still post in this thread?

i got close tho

We are all swole of heart and spirit here, friend

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

PR'd my deadlift at 385lbs this morning :feelsgood:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’d scream because sit-ups are dumb.

I do a bunch of dumb core work on the last 30 of my 90 minutes of lifting. Probably scarily close to crossfit. Decline situps where you toss a 25lb medicine ball at peak then catch it. Oblique crunches with a medicine ball on whatever that rack I use is called. Bicycle crunches. Hanging leg raises. Year of visible abs is well on it's way.

Situps are dumb.

bomb posted:

I've been going to the gym almost every day for the last 2 years, sometime last month everyone realized it and started talking to me. What did I do wrong and how do I get back my anonymous status?

If you figure it out let me know. Same thing has happened to me at my Y. I guess it's alright, talking to people, but I liked being ignored while I did my thing too.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Managed 260lbsx2 on the bench this morning, thanks to rando spotter for the assist. 265 by the end of April seems within reach!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Just PRd my bench

Small Salamis compared to some of y'all but it felt great.

Kudos my goon, good job!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Picked up a shift today which means no lifting. Not the end of the world but it interrupts ~my routine~ so instead I'm packing for cardio on the return trip on account of how busy the weight floor is in the evenings.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

HukHukHuk posted:

The curse of the lifter is the feeling of smallness and the need for salamis, I've begun to recover my strength after a bones day gone wrong breaking my leg, but the visible smallness of my right leg bothers me every day and will do so until I fix it :(

I feel you my goon. After I broke my ankle and was finally cleared for PT I was ashamed of how gross and floppy my left calf was and how long it took to get that strength back. Good job on going back to lifting!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Congrats my dude!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

itskage posted:

Failed my bench target of 265 and I'm salty af.

I tried to warm back up and do it again but no luck. I think I'll just move my ohp attempt to first thing on deadlift day. Then I can try again before the week is over. I want to hit that target.

I'll be there Friday morning, I hear you. I managed 260lbs x 2reps two weeks ago, and wasn't able to get a spot last week, so we'll see.

Managed another 385lbsx2 deadlift reps this morning. Considered trying 395 but I was gassed. I decided to jump my earlier sets first by 50lbs, with 185lbs x 8reps x 3sets from my old 135lbs to start, then 255lbs x 8reps x 3sets up from 225lbs to start. Did 3 reps at 315lbs, then 3 reps at 365lbs, then 2 reps at 385lbs. Working on four plates, it'll happen this summer.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Managed 265lbs for a single bench rep, gassed out on the second rep attempt. Thank goodness for the spot because it wouldn't have been pleasant otherwise.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Decided that I'll get visible abs the long way and just exercise my core a ton. Started a 5x5 program and ratcheted my resistances back a but so as to avoid injury. This morning's workout was refreshing after my usual routine.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Been doing a 5x5 program off of the "stronglifts" app for novelty's sake. Ratched my resistances way down to get form right. I don't know how often you're supposed to use the program, but I've been at it five days a week. Squats every day with a 5lb increase will get me to my old max (realistically only doing like 60% range of motion) of 375lbs in a month and a week, though that's probably too fast an increase to keep parallel. Still, it's been a nice change. OHP has been my bane, lol.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

canadianclassic posted:

I think those programs are usually run 3 days per week. That rate of progression is pretty wild (100lb per month!). Unless you're starting wayyy below your current maximum you'll likely hit a wall in a couple weeks i think. Or unless you're on tren or some poo poo :shrug:

This is realistically what's going to happen. I did go way, way under my old maxes but that was a deliberate attempt to make sure my form was proper.

Coincidentally more than a couple of the residents living in the building I work in have asked if I've been juicing and it's flattering but it's just protein, creatine and amino acids. An acquaintance is on five different cycles and I'm very concerned for their health. I know in the competitive world you need to do what you need to to be the best. It's just not for me.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

So part of this app i use is support via questions answered by, I dunno, the stronglifts spokesman or whatever the gently caress. Spoiler alert, he's a tool.

From an email just sent out in answer to "I can't afford 2.5kg plates and my gym doesn't stock them, what do?"

Stronglifts Dingleberry posted:

P.S. I hate that "I can't afford it" excuse. Do you want get strong? Then make it happen. Stop spending money on bullshit supplements (I know you bought some). Sell some old stuff you don't use on craiglist. Get a part-time job. Make it happen.

Also gym making GBS threads 4 life. The upstairs restroom at my y is a slice of heaven when you need to unload.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Big Wet Bitch posted:

P.S. I should have thought about this. I should have known people would not bother reading my guide, even though the ones who do get better results. So we'll improve this part of the app later so that it tells you which days to lift.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Is there a sort of time limit I should be spending at the gym? If I eat a small meal before heading out I seem to be able to spend about 2.5 hours there. Granted, I'm not lifting every moment inside, but I go through the 5x5 in an hour, spending anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours doing core work and other exercises afterwards. I'm also there 5 days a week... should I be resting more?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

soy posted:

No but you'll probably get burnt out and stop going after doing that for a few months.

It's been 6 and I'm really only enjoying it more, but it won't be sustainable come the next semester, my schedule becomes pretty variable.

Thanks for the input folks!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Flipgrip posted:

I know you're on the fitness train and loving life but an hour for core work has gotta be like 90% wasted time. If you dig it, great,I just feel like your time could be used more effectively!! Enjoyment is obviously #1 though

I'm keen for efficiency so I appreciate the input. I wasn't especially clear and 2.5 is a generous estimate of my max amount of time, most of the days clock in at 2. FWIW, the general breakdown is:
1 hour for the 5x5 (which sucks and I'm gonna leave it for a different program)
.5 hour for core
.5 hour for curls, dips, pulldowns, whatever I think I've missed and would like to include

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Ladies, gentleman, friends, neighbours, lovers: my brain has broken and im going to start using bands and chains on dynamic effort days. I need to make sure i always do DE days on weekends, or i need to get a doctors note explaining why i need to bring 70 pounds of chains through customs

I used my freebie PT session yesterday and was shown a bunch of band exercises to warm up my glutes with and I'm sore af and a month out towards better squat and dl performance, bands r gud imo

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

bomb posted:

so unsure why you’re so salty?

That's their schtick my goon

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Let's all meet up and fight. Naked.

:biglips:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

im cleaning up my place and wondering what should i do with all my old supplements. im thinking of mixing all the pills into a big candy bowl and keeping them in my kitchen and just taking 5 at a time in the morning.

Excuse me sir if you're not going to take this seriously there's a thread in YLLS for you to shitpost in

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

how much do you weigh

There are many directions this could go

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

While holding the bar or not?

Follow-up, did the bar have any plates on it?

Jokes aside, that's pretty impressive FH, I'm 60lbs on you and my current best is a 1x5 at 375lbs, great job!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Ain’t as strong as some of you but I benched 250 today.

Rad dude! I benched 3x3@255lbs and the trainer who gave me a spot didn't have anything critical to say about my form or ROM, then gave me some tips regarding progressive overload, a thing I had only seen mentioned in passing itt

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Good stuff my man!

Thanks duder. I realize I might've looked like I was trying to one-up your post, my b. Bench Bro coincidence.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I managed to get over my deadlift hump with the trap bar. I know ~~it's not the same~~ but I'm still pumped I managed the 1x5 set at 380lbs.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

How much do you deadlift?

380 on the straight bar, but I crap out after 4 reps and the preceding warmup. The app I follow doesn't allow weight increase without clearing 1x5 on the deadlift, and I'd gotten stuck at 380lbs, consistently getting the first four reps but feeling as though I'd gassed out. It doesn't help that the DLs happen at the end of my workout, after squats and OHP.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Squatting and deadlifting on the same day is fine when you're starting out, but it gets really tough as you get stronger. Think about rearranging things so that you're deadlifting fresh.

Noted, thanks, I appreciate the input. I really don't know where to go in my training. Been following this 5x5 app which admittedly sucks, and the resistances are getting to the point where progression is slowing down. I'm happy just plugging away, though, and the app provides a structure that I'm lacking at the moment.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

you can only pull 1 more rep at the same weight on the trap bar? that's... odd.

Goodness knows why. Could be mentality, adequate rest, the fact that I've been consistently lifting 380 on the straight bar, who knows. Also, I didn't try for more reps, I just hit five and said enough.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I'll look into them!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Absolutely agreed that one set of five reps won't drive progress. In the app's defense I'm run through a warmup consisting of 5x135, 5x185, 5x225, 3x265, 2x315, 1x350 and then 5x380. Even that warmup might not be adequate to drive progress, of course.

Being dependent on an app is /incredibly limiting/ and I joined on just for a lark, however like any creature of habit I just kind of... kept on with it. I'll check your recommendations and might even buy a notebook to keep track of stuff like some filthy poor, thanks!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

My ohp is pretty poor at 160 lol

I ought to train shoulders more regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Tried low bar squats today because I had no idea they were a thing. Very different feel, wasn't able to go as low as a high bar squat and definitely felt a difference in my legs afterwards.

That article posted about RPE was a solid read, thanks!