Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I have finally said gently caress it and bought a PPR200X power rack. Finally I can squat in peace without waiting in line forever like it's the loving DMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Say no to hex plates

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I've always heard "go under %15 body fat before going for any serious bulk" but gently caress man those last 10 pounds are hilariously hard to lose. I've been stuck at around 170 pounds for years now. I'm changing my main goal from "go down to 155-160" to "get as strong as possible without going over 180".

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Tolkien minority posted:

its a horrible diet (in terms of what you can eat/ease of doing it), but i'm below 10% for the first time in my life on low calorie keto. essentially a protein sparing modified fast with slightly more fat. haven't lost any strength or (that I can see) muscle mass. read everything lyle mcdonald wrote on the subject if you wanna go down this route tho

It's mostly the motivation not really the specific diet that's holding me back I think. I guess it's just hard to lose weight with the goal of attaining a baseline so that you can start the "real work". It feels much better psychologically to get hella strong first and go "when I lose all this extra fat I'll look awesome"

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

good electric posted:

just cut til you see abs and slow bulk at +500 kcals from there. I hit 1/2/3/4 for 3-5 reps at my fattest and I still felt like poo poo at the gym seeing my fat loving face straining during a heavy rear end lifts because there's mirrors everywhere

This is true. I didn't go as far as you did but I went up to 190 while doing SS and all my lifts shot up but I felt like a fat sack of poo poo every time I rolled out of bed jiggling all over the place. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy feels absolutely horrible, though, even though it's the best way to ensure you're losing as much fat as possible instead of muscle

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

It seems I can either eat at a caloric deficit consistently or work out consistently, but when I try to do both everything goes to hell.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

When I was a fatass every pound I lost was obvious. Now I lose 5 pounds over 5 weeks and my before/after photos look exactly the same

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I decided to have a cheat day and now I feel guilty as all hell. I guess that's a good thing.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Eating clean is cool for cutting since "clean" food is usually also not very calorie dense so you can eat tons of it even at a deficit.

My problem is that clean eating pretty much means "food you prepare/cook on your own" and the food I can make takes too long to make and tastes horrible. I wish there was like a 2000 calorie pill so I can solely concentrate on working out

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Honestly the protein and the carbs are not the main problem. I just throw chicken in the oven with a ton of spices and use a rice cooker. Tastes decent, although the chicken get to around 165 degrees after 30 minutes or so at 350? Maybe I shouldn't cut them up beforehand?

The fats and the veggies are the main issue. My fats come from cashews, almonds, peanuts etc. but they suck for cutting since they are ridiculously calorie dence and not at all filling. For veggies I used to buy mostly peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes and dice them for sautee but it's a drain spending all that time prepping all that when they go bad in 3 days.

So I'm sticking to getting frozen broccoli and boiling them in bulk but that's pretty much the saddest thing

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I admire that wrist flexibility. I just suicide grip when I squat otherwise my baby wrists will snap

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Am in gym. Doubled my last PR in squat volume at highest weight.

5/3/1 rules. Now boring but big sets, then FOOD

I hope one day I can squat the famed "highest weight"

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

People who've never been fat sometimes give bad or incomplete advice because some things like portion control or eating healthy are just natural to them. It might be a better idea to listen to someone who was fat but fixed themselves through deliberate effort because they lived through what you want to accomplish.

Now, of course it's probably not a good idea to listen to a fat person's opinions on how to lose weight. Do what you preach and all that.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I squat hundreds of pounds and I'm fine; I row for 10 minutes and strain my hip flexor.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm basically doing Stronglifts. I do bench and ohp the proper way 5x5, but i do my squats as 3x5. I also haven't been squatting this week because the back thing, so I doubt it's overtraining type poo poo. Also my bench has felt pretty strong. My guess is it's just an off day, or maybe since OHP is naturally weaker, going up 5 lbs is too high a percentage of weight to jump, as compared to my bench which is at 150.

Definitely buy fractional plates for OHP. 5 lbs jumps become infeasible pretty quickly with them.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I've been eating like poo poo these past two weeks. Need to get back on track I don't want to spend my 20s stuck in "it's so nice you started working out" phase.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I regret not doing any more cardio in the past now that I've started playing team sports more often.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The RP diet templates are great but the small variations in each meal make prepping a pain sometimes. 5 oz chicken on rest days but 4 oz in training days. 2 meals will have 50g carbs but the third one is 25g.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Do you guys have a flexibility/mobility routine you do every day?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I got the RP coaching thing last January and it was great for me. I stuck with the diet and workouts about 2/3 of the time but according to DEXA I lost about 2 pounds of fat and gained 6 pounds of lean muscle, dropping to under 20 percent fat for the first time in my life. Switched goals from a cut to a bulk halfway through at the suggestion of my coach. Got another 3 months and am sticking to it 100 percent now, especially since I got the hang of meal prepping for the week.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

sassassin posted:

You're just under 20% bf and your coach told you to bulk?

God drat

lol yeah I know but it's a very conservative bulk and I don't really have any muscle to cut down to. If I'm going to look shittier before I look better I'd rather look poo poo while not being hungry as hell.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I did rack pulls for the first time and now my hands are useless lumps of meat. Weight was not really heavy but my grip strength sucks :(

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

I had this problem at my gym. All of the barbells weigh exactly 20kg, but there's one that weighs about 18kg, and the only way to tell is that the cross-hatch style markings on the bar itself don't go all the way to the ends on each side. Had a great set of overhead press with that one once, thought I'd hit a new PR but nope.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the cut spreadsheet Dum Cumpster. Does it have the option of switching from imperial to metric? I saw the sample image where it had everything in oz apart from 'a small handful of greens' (which for a cutting programme doesn't seem that accurate), but you seem to be having good results with it.

How big are your hands that eating a 4-5 handfuls of greens a day would affect your weight loss?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I just finished a workout with 5x5 deadlifts, 5x5 rack pulls, 3x10 rear leg elevated squats, and 3x10 hyperextensions.

I can barely stand up, yet still can't help but feel disappointed that I didn't lift heavier. Swole happiness eludes me :(

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I used straps for the first time in the workout I mentioned before by the way, and it was a revelation. gently caress, I'm not going to compete in anything, and I have a juicer so I don't need the grip strength to crush fruits with my bare hands, so why not use straps for my work sets and lift heavy rear end weight?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I've officially graduated from my cheap 45lb adjustable dumbbells at home. Anyone has the PowerBlock dumbbells? Are they okay? They look stupid but I need something that can go heavy without taking stupid amounts of space.

Also checked out the traditional adjustable dumbbells with plates but they all look like cheap crap on Amazon

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah I need the heavier dumbbells mainly for the bench presses and you kind of have to just dump them when you are doing decline bench. Would powerblocks just shatter if I do that?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah I know I don't do declines much anyway but I'd still like to know that I won't destroy a dumbbell that's worth $250 by letting go of it from knee height.

I was so loving afraid of becoming a fatass when I decided to bulk at 20 percent body fat but man I feel great now that I'm almost done. I know the ideal is to go down first and then bulk but I was just spinning my wheels for a long time and the change was good psychologically. Wish I'd done it sooner. Now that I actually have some muscle to work with I may finally cut down to something reasonable without shriveling into a skeleton. Then do it all over again.

Summer 2018 here I come lol

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

We need that smiley but with it holding dumbbells

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The arms of this shirt are too small

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Day 2 of 90 day cut: Constant hunger consumes my soul

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Let us know when the bread nightmares start

Nah I eat a decent amount of carbs with every meal and what feels like a ton of veggies. I mostly dream of having one extra meal

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The journey of a thousand plates begins with a single bar

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The serious general diet/fitness thread is currently united against a troll/dumbass who's trying to obliterate his fat cells via overdosing on vitamin A

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Me 2 years ago: I need to eat clean and work out so I can go out and date hot women

Me, now: I'm too busy eating clean and working out to go out and date hot women

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

People are really weird. I'm 5'8" and getting close to going under 170 lbs, and I'm afraid I'm getting too small and here's a dude 30 lbs lighter than me going "hmm maybe I should bulk??"

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

lol if your pumped muscles deflate with a sad "ppffpphtt" noise the moment you leave the gym

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

A failed squat rep has a lot in common with taking a massive poo poo, except in this case the poo poo wins out in the end

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Abs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

How the hell does something that has no energy in it add fat?