Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I want to stop cutting but I don't think I'm lean enough yet :negative:
oh well only like a month until winter and it doesn't matter if I get fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

zyzz is the patron saint of taking steroids while you have a heart condition and then dying at age 22

wasnt it like dnp + amphetamines + a sauna + a genetic condition + massive roids or some other mind numbingly retarded combo of things that killed him

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Nostratic posted:

You are younger than me, and 10 times more injured

for real tho dont curls with a straight bar unless you hate ur wrists and forearms.

in general i feel like curls are an exercise that benefits a lot from using a dumbbell and really focusin on the squeeeeeeze

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

did weighted pullups for the first time in my life today, felt like a boss knockin out sets with half a plate hanging off me.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Threads like this is why id never touch a weight again.
Callisthenics only, if it was good enough for spartans, its good enough for me.
Also i cant train naked in a gym (not for long anyways).

like 99% sure they had heavy objects to pick up and put down back then

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Fallows posted:

Are you that goon leaving pools of blood on the gym floor after deadliftin?

I always jump in my pool after deadlifts and the chlorine can burn sometimes so I feel your pain

i deadlift in sweats :smuggo:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

I wish lifting weights would go back to the way it was 6 years ago when it was a niche interest that only no life autists took part in. Those were the days.

As a proud no life autist I'm really starting to enjoy lifting and tracking EVERYTHING.

Pesmerga posted:

I have a cold and haven't left the house, so no cardio. Should I drop my calories a few hundred calories today, or eat at maintenance anyway? :/

And how many calories of salami?

take NAC poo poo really works for colds

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Why would you do roids

is this a trick question

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Knight posted:

Day 5 of the 4kcal diet.

Not enough

Unless you're on roids, run a marathon every day or are like a jacked 6 5 there is 0 reason to be eating that much, unless you wanna get fat I guess

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I bulked on 3.2k for 6 months as a 20 y/o male and still gained a ton of unnecessary fat (also muscle but that was intended)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Knight posted:

Not jacked or on roids, but I am 6'2 and run 50 mpw. 3800 calories was an estimate for moderate workout days with +250 cal for bulking and +400 cal for running. Having lived off 2300 calories for the past 6 months, I'm cautious but amused by the amount of food I'm stuffing in my face now without bursting like an overcooked sausage. Will adjust if that changes.

Don't know enough about running to comment but still sounds high to me. Whatever works tho

Edit:
this lol
vvvvvvvvvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 5, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

I'm 6'0 and my maintenance is 3440. I don't do cardio and I sit on my rear end besides 2 hours per day at the gym 4 times per week of lifting. I don't/can't do roids or anything like that. That two hours is mostly 3-5 minute rest periods too with the occasional almost 10 minute rest periods on heavy squat/deadlift days. I guess I superset most of my accessories at the end.

Let me rephrase. Idk how old you are but a few random tdee calculators with male, 6' and moderate exercise (3-5 days a week) give a 3300-3500 maintenance only at 240-250+. So either you're obese (and should eat well below that) or roided up (and that is actually your Tdee). No one (maybe .01% of the population) is 250 lb and lean at that height naturally

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

Running Sheiko right now so nah. Mostly do 3-5 minute rest periods for deadlifts, 3ish for bench except near the end where I'll wait a bit more if I feel I need it. But the last set or three of squats I will rest 8-10 sometimes. Squats tax the poo poo out of my cardiovascular system and it takes a while for me to come down. I have a poo poo heart. I have a prosthetic aortic valve and mild aortic stenosis.
I'm 235 and around 24% bf right now. I am not that muscular either. <6 months of lifting, no real GPP at all. I have a large frame in some ways.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're fat dude, not "big boned". Start a hard cut asap. Can almost guarantee you're underestimating body fat too

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

I have been losing weight. I was 265 in march when I had open heart surgery again, 255 in June when I was able to begin physical activity after ~3 years of being borderline bedridden, and I'm 235 now.

If you go to the YLLS weight loss thread you can see some pictures of me wearing only boxer-briefs at 255 and 240. I've lost another 5lbs since the last one and probably put on another 1lb of muscle. I plan on going down to ~205 after eating maint for a month at 225. My stomach hasn't gone past my ribcage since 240 or so (~39" waist circum, ribcage area circum is ~40", hips were ~46", neck ~17"). Those measurements have all gone down except neck which went up and ribcage which stayed the same. My waist and hips were not much smaller measurement wise at 185-195 in the past.

Yeah I am weak and fat and have poo poo posture, the fat is going down, the posture is improving, the weak is becoming less weak, and I finally get to participate in a hobby I've wanted to participate in since I was 19. Or since a child? Since I was banned from most physical activity since a very young age.
I go at 11pm-midnight and no one is waiting.

This is wonderful and I'm very proud of you (unironically, getting in shape is so hard especially after something major like surgery), I'm just making a point about calorie consumption. You're eating way, way too much. I just checked out your pics, and I really, really don't think you are 24% at 6 0 and I don't understand why you would eat at maintenance at 225 considering you are still obese at that height/weight; I would recommend a minimum of a 1000 cal deficit really. To put it in perspective, 24% at 235 is a lean mass of ~180. That means at 200 lb you'll be 10% body fat. 6 '0. . That's fuckin jacked dude, like dedicated to the gym for years from a sedentary lifestyle.. You are not 35 lbs of fat loss away from being loving jacked, no offense intended. just going by pics alone I would guess 30%+ but it's hard to tell.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

I'm not fuckin jacked even if I was at 8% bf right now. I don't have much muscle at all.

yeh thats what i'm saying. 24% bf at a a high body weight is very different from 24% bf at a lower one (you are not 24% body fat).. kind of like how 15% body fat at 150 lb is probably skinny fat, while 15% at 250lb is an offseason bodybuilder. i'm really not trying to poo poo on you or anything i'm just trying to explain why i was saying no one has a tdee at 3.5k unless they're quite fat or quite muscular, and in the former case thats only their tdee if they want to stay fat.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

I've always heard "go under %15 body fat before going for any serious bulk" but gently caress man those last 10 pounds are hilariously hard to lose. I've been stuck at around 170 pounds for years now. I'm changing my main goal from "go down to 155-160" to "get as strong as possible without going over 180".

its a horrible diet (in terms of what you can eat/ease of doing it), but i'm below 10% for the first time in my life on low calorie keto. essentially a protein sparing modified fast with slightly more fat. haven't lost any strength or (that I can see) muscle mass. read everything lyle mcdonald wrote on the subject if you wanna go down this route tho

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

It's mostly the motivation not really the specific diet that's holding me back I think. I guess it's just hard to lose weight with the goal of attaining a baseline so that you can start the "real work". It feels much better psychologically to get hella strong first and go "when I lose all this extra fat I'll look awesome"

The thing is (strong broscience inc I can't be bothered to source) that when you're lean, your body is better primed to stay lean and build muscle whereas when you still have a lot of extra fat your gains are gonna be made up by fat and muscle more.

So while you might get equally strong either way, you won't be equally muscular. (And let's be real neither you nor I nor 95% of this thread is gunna get hella strong anytime soon regardless)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

I can do 8 pullups in a row. Jelly much

FedEx Mercury posted:

I pulled my back doing chin ups :corsair:

:greencube:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Carmant posted:

Computer nerd who found out about fitness in his mid 30s is my favorite GBS meme

bruh ive seen ur okc profile ur a skinnyfat nerd shut it if people wanna improve themselves

(im younger than u :smuggo:)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

in the process of getting my scuba certification and its p dope. i like going in water with fins and fish and poo poo

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Just made myself a nice steak and I think that may be the ideal post workout meal

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

so im at a party the other night and im mixing my drinks with coke which a friend of mine starts playfully giving me poo poo about cause he knows im supposed to be cutting atm. im all whatever man i lifted today its cool when another dude i barely know comes up looks me straight in the eye and in an absolutely dead serious tone says "eat to lift dont lift to eat"

uhh DIET coke on a cut dummy!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

GORDON posted:

I wanted a rum and coke one night after the kid was in bed but I was cutting, so instead I put some run in a cherry coke zero.... it tasted just like Nyquil, so don't do that.

diet (cola of choice) plus captains morgan is my cuttin drink of choice. p tasty.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I gotta recommend Phencyclidine. Nothing has made me more amped up in the gym

you wouldnt believe how many pushups you can bust out when youre dissociated out of your mind

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

did dips for the first time in my life today and felt pathetically week failing on the second rep in my last set

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

man the worst part about going to the gym is that i feel super guilty if i drink later in the day

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

or maybe u can use cheese instead of "pasteurized recipe cheese product"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

buddhanc posted:

That's how I feel working out the next day after taking some Adderall. Really helps with my numbers though, heart be damned

Adderall is the best pre-workout, gently caress the next day

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

maybe you are not meant to go lower in bodyfat

maybe your destiny lies elsewhere

*insert link to steroid thread*

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Is it possible to do deadlifts without making noise when you put the weights down? I switched to a smaller gym on campus and it's over some classrooms so they're technically allowed but they're super strict. i guess technically i could lower weight and be super careful but that seems like kinda a waste

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

edit: lol wrong thread

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 3, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Consider just quitting the gym and drinking.

every single day fam

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

"hey how can i add meat onto my body, but i dont wanna eat any meat"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

my lower backs been botherin me from poor squat form so ive taken a week off deads/squats. all arms all back all the time owns, bros are onto something i think

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Stupidly went to my uni gym today and there was no joke a line to use the squat racks. What idiot thought over 100 treadmills was more important than more than 3fucking racks

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I was lifting with my friend today who is literally the vp of his fraternity and he told me he never works out rear delts because "girls don't look at rear delts."
Who was I to call him, who is both way more ripped and successful with women than me, wrong?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

ohp is weird, for some reason i can hit 100 for 10 with dumbbells but only 105 for 5 with a barbell, can't even hit 10 if i go below that to 95/85. if I do literally any exercise that involves my shoulders before I OHP in a workout then I can't hit either of those numbers

FizFashizzle posted:

You can bend over and slouch no matter what size your shoulders are.

Sit up straight you loving goon.

Chinese and Russian lifters have all started benching.

fwiw I've started doing facepulls every time I workout and my posture has no question started to improve, previously i had done 0 rear delt poo poo.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Do you guys seriously not know how to pull your shoulders back?

You think all those ninety pound ballet dancers are doing pendlay rows backstage at swan lake?

im gonna guess comparing someone thats been exercising to meet a specific ideal (that includes crazy posturing) since a very young child has incredibly different muscle development than your average goon who sat hunched over at a computer with minimal exercise for most of their life. seriously ballet dancers are hardcore not the best comparison.

this is a weird hill to die on dude

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

muscle imbalances are bad and lead to bad things: a controversial opinion in the swole thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i saw a girl at the gym the other day who was like, super unhealthy low body fat, and it was a weird feeling because i was both pretty sure she was anorexic and strangely impressed