Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I dumbbell bench cause I workout at home but I still feel like less of a man because I am not barbell pressing... saying you bench 70 lbs.... fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just wanna say I lift the high numbers

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

lmao I saw this and didnt see it was general guidelines for a strongman event and was just like "Jesus how swole does Alan Thrall think society should be"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Have only done 4 lifting sessions in 2 weeks because I've been playing basketball like 3-4 times a week. All of my muscle is gonna disappear...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I hate cutting because all of my lifts remain static and I'm hungry all the time and cant get hammered. Major loving fail

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

JamMaster Flash posted:

Is it winter where you are? Why you cutting homie?

6 months of maintenance and I'm on winter break from college, it is time.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm 25 and in my final year of undergrad, and lemme tell ya, university gyms SUCK

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Havent you heard about confusing the muscle....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Flye, Cable Flye, decline dumbbell bench 15-20 rep range, Pec Deck

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
*incredible nerd voice* I dont like doing dumbbell flyes because the angle of resistance is not fully in line with the range of motion for maximal pec stimulus so I prefer using machines

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Bodyweight....? More like "Buddy, wait for someone to stop using a machine"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Batterypowered7 posted:

How wide do you guys normally grip the bar for bench press? I usually put my pinkies on that narrow band where the knurling stops.

I go with a pretty wide grip, put my thumbs perpendicular to the rest of my fingers and rest the tip where the knurling starts, and then slide my hands a little outside of that

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Took a week and a half off of lifting, going to my school gym rn and I expect to be weaker than when I started (last time I did this which is basically a deload I hit prs)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

TenementFunster posted:

i do not think i have the courage to hit 210 :(

After breaking a finger in the gym and vomming from legday I dont give a poo poo anymore, I set up the safeties and let God take the wheel

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Akane's 1 inch bench is a goated vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOq5hqqSkQ0

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Anyone else say completely deranged insane poo poo while lifting? I've been saying poo poo like "Power is everything...." or "The weak survive; the strong thrive"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
double dipping will get you KILLED at a strongman comp

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I would annoy my friend while lifting by just nonstop quoting Jason Genova. Just going "Ssthickening...." and "Who cares about for we're freaks!" over and over

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
hit 315x1x3 and 1x1 today on deadlift beltless. I am returning to my old level of strength. I'm so weak that I'm disgusted with myself. I need more power....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I am leaving the church of iron to train jiu jitsu. Farewell my compatriots

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
All those muscles wont do you good in the streets, learn bjj bros.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Hellblazer187 posted:

BJJ is fun to do.

This.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

doverhog posted:

BJJ is terrible for defense against knives. You want JJJ or HEMA for that, or a gun, or just run away like was said.

This

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Went back to yhe gym for the first time in like 2 months after starting bjj, and man my work capacity just loving shot up. Getting just the barest fraction of fighter level cardio...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You do NOT get cte from bjj, you only completely destroy the ligaments in your knees!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The men's changeroom and shower at my gym is at the rear end-end of a HIIT studio, and i often have to politely dodge through folks in the middle of a circuit. It's not ideal.

This morning i successfully navigated through the class. While I'm changing to shower, a dude walks in as the HIIT class carries on in the background. He makes a comment about the class being too intense for him, and I remark about the exercise being good for a person. He says, " I dunno, if I wanted to get yelled at first thing in the morning, I'd have stayed home," and I couldn't help but tell him, "sounds like you might want to reevaluate your relationship, then." He's silent for a beat and says, "Yeah, that's what my parents say, too." I'm 41, and the guy isn't a young man, older than me, maybe by a generation.

That was the first "complain about your spouse" comment from a stranger I've gotten in casual conversation. I know, conceptually, complaining about your spouse is a way that some people, primarily men, socialize by, but I never saw it in the wild. Made me realize I'm really lucky to be marrying my best friend.

Anyhow I PR'd 225lbsx2 on the bench press today so that rules

2 plates on bench...... Welcome to the club my man

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It will never be enough though... Thinking about the brosciencelife quote "The day you finally commit to going to the gym is the day you realize youll be small and weak forever."

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I take my shoes off to deadlift

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
why dont you lift heavy weights....?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

redshirt posted:

I want to be strong and fast rather than some big muscle guy.

Get into olympic weightlifting, high rep ranges are usually for hypertrophy (muscle mass building) and make you bigger

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also maybe have someone show you olympic lifts so you dont hurt yourself

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

redshirt posted:

Isn't this the opposite of what I was talking about?

Weight lifting is so weird.

Well you wont get bulky if youre in a calorie surplus, but paradoxically using lighter weights to do lots of reps is what makes you grow the biggest. If you look at olympic weightlifters, theyre all super strong while being way smaller than bodybuilders. But if you really wanna get strong and you dont have a prior history of like weird relationships with food it's WAAAAY faster to just bulk and then cut, and even if you lose muscle you'll be stronger than if you'd had tried recomping and it'll happen way faster

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The science behind it is that time under tension is what provides a hypertrophic stimulus to the muscles, so by working out in higher rep ranges youre maximizing the time that your muscles are under tension which will cause them to grow bigger than if you do fewer, heavier lifts

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

redshirt posted:

Hi rep, low weight, daily high energy like almost aerobics

This is literally what bodybuilders do to get big and not strong

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Chief McHeath posted:

lol @ the idea that bodybuilders get huge from lifting a little baby weight too many times and aren’t strong

They arent, and all those muscles wont help em in da streets

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
getting big and strong is actually incredibly easy and a lot of people do it accidentally

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

TenementFunster posted:

add a third guy who does BJJ but looks like the second guy except he’s wearing an ankle monitor from a DV arrest

BJJ is good.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
fuckwit

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
bjj is fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Any sort of martial art, but I think especially any grappling art, will just improve your conditioning like crazy too! It's noticeably improved my lifting sessions and recovery