Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I got (self diagnosed, yeah I know, will see a doctor next week probably) plantar fasciitis that makes the sole of my foot feel like it's on fire sometimes. Hasn't stopped me from working out but has reduced volume and just made the experience less fun you know. Did a bunch (over multiple breaks, lost count) of sets of 10x80kg bench press and 25kg one arm dumbbell overhead press at work, still haven't gotten to actually trying a real 1 rep bench press max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I bench with no arch btw, like there is tension in the back, but none of that lift your back up to hit higher numbers stuff. :dukedoge:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

We actually saw the Ben Affleck version of Batman working out, and IIRC it was flipping tractor tires, doing pull ups, and something with a rope.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A few days ago finished 10x10 40kg 2 handed kettlebell swings with little breaks, no doing sets of 5. Didn't time it but went back in as soon as felt was physically able. Grip strength or the ability to pick up and swing the bell are not factors anymore, it's purely a cardio thing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did a 100 kettlebell suitcase and goblet squats a few days ago after not doing any for a few months, 3 day DOMS, feels good. :11tea:

As my foot hurt while doing them, I contemplated Aragorn, and Jesus. They both suffered hardship and pain but kept going anyway. Just a little tip for you guys in case a work out feels hard.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 14, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Interesting question. Some people hang weights off them for pull ups, some are just fat. Either way the pull ups are harder to do that way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I recently had a thought, that people who work out can sort of be divided into 2 groups. Ones who work out as much they have motivation or time for, and ones who work out as much as they can while still being able to recover (probably following a program), or as much as whatever injuries they have at the moment allow. It's not a value judgement, just a thought on different perspectives.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I didn't say which group I thought I was in. :) That's, like, outside the scope of the larger point.

There's a lot more to being a professional athlete than training hard, any idiot can train too hard if they have free time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

ok dude

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a crossfit reference right, they apparently work harder than what they can recover from which is the worst possible option.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

feelix posted:

that's gay

As an afterthought, it's very gay, I fondly remembered sucking cock while writing the post.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

*Unless you're a competitive athlete, the only functional purpose of exercise is to induce muscle growth to maximize your lean mass.

This guy has never heard of cardio I guess? Sorry thread for mentioning it, but it's a thing you know. A few days ago I had to sprint to catch a train, and did, and wasn't even out of breath after. I attribute this to doing 100 40kg kettlebell swings on most days.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah I just eat a spoonful of creatine every day. Don't believe in loading or cycling. Also I hope you gyes know what creatine actually does, it has to do with cellural energy metabolism look it up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I already shave my head so bring it on :agesilaus:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I like being bloated as gently caress, it means I got no water weight to lose. So when I am stronger and the belt starts to need new holes but I still weigh 225ish I know that is all muscle baby, I am doing recomp, and strenght yea been thinking about getting a 48 kg kettlebell.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 13, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I like to be on brand, but I do post a fair bit of other stuff too. You should post what you think. :11tea: And I do most of my working out with a 40 KG KB so it sort flows naturally from that.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 13, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did some benching (176 lbs) at work on lunch and coffee breaks, and tried and hit 1 rep of 198 lbs. Real max is probably a bit higher since was a bit fatigued already. For some reason suicide grip has really clicked lately and feels a lot better than normal, and perfectly safe too.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There's a slidy scale on what you actually want, aesthetics, strength, cardio, etc. Who really can say what is the correct answer.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

Not visible abs, apparently.

You seem to harbor some bitterness. Would you like to talk about it? I've never attempted to get visible abs, so don't have them. Maybe you have, gz mate.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

feelix posted:

I mean this is actually 100% true but it's not "new" by any means

Positives only for strength is because strength is, by definition, your ability to do positives, so it's the most specific way to train for strength

This really sounds like someone ought to ask, what is the definition of strength.

*never had visible abs but dick has been sucked more since starting work out so agree with Calvin Johnson Jr. in principle

doverhog fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 20, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Which principle? The suck my dick principle.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You are in the right place.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I know I made some kettlebell posts in YLLS that really were unnecessary. But, I maintain that the advice was never bad, if someone started to use KBs because of that, they were on a good path. I hope you get better.

* the one rule I have for any advice I ever give on working out is, I must have tried it myself first*

doverhog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 21, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

On suicide grip, I feel like my fingers grip the bar solidly enough that I have no fear. Regular grip used to aggravate my thumb joints and force me to stop benching.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There's a rack at work that has safety bars that I use for benching, so if it dropped it would land on that. Still don't have gym membership.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've never felt even close to dropping the bar or losing my grip, with normal or suicide. Failures have always been not being able to the get bar up after I carefully lower it down. I started to try using suicide grip because my thumbs hurt with normal grip, and now use it because it feels more natural and better even if my thumbs would allow normal grip again.

You could go the gym and bench or do chin ups or something.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It really is a nice feeling, when at the end of a workout you feel you did everything you could. Doing more would be too much. On this day, or for this short time at least you were the best you could be.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fartbox posted:

that just aint true tho

bigger muscles dont mean more strength

ive seen plenty of smaller dudes be super strong

Bigger muscles are related to strength but there's lots of stuff going in in what we call strength. If your muscles that are visible are really big but the support muscles are weak, and you try to do some real world feat of strength, someone with smaller visible muscles can be better at it than you. If you train in a way that gives you little body awareness or coordination, same thing. Having a strong back is more important 99% of the time than having big biceps but many people don't train with that in mind, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The response to "government is bad" is "make government good", not "abolish government".

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, think I'm gonna go on TRT some time after 40. For now I just flex in front of mirrors and gently caress when available, seems to keep the old T pumping.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fallows posted:

I worked really hard for a long time to get to 1000 total

Well done, it's a lot more than what I can lift.

:angel: :dukedoge: :cthulhu: :11tea: :monar: :vince: :angel:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'll always go for the front rack. :sonia: :smug: But really I never jerk or press a weight I didn't clean first.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ab wheel, planks.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's pretty nice to notice at work that I'm in better shape than people 10 years younger, and not just random people but ones that are doing the same pretty physical job.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That really is the foundation isn't it, the basis for all social interaction that if all other layers are stripped away is still there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sometimes when I get home from work I'm too tired or sore to work out. It's pretty nice really means I have more free time since don't have to spend time working out before going to sleep.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's all part of my weird theory that to achieve best results you need a careful balance of doing poo poo and recovering from it. This wont apply to you if you work in an office. :smug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I just pan fry ground beef, season with fish sauce, eat it, and then defrost spinach for dessert. :shrug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A thing I really like about working out is I can gently caress for an hour or something not be out of breath. Not that you would want to really. Some positions will give you leg cramps, and you'll sweat, and think "If I wasn't wearing the condom I could come already", but you wont be out of breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Same, and a chick complained to me last summer please stop sweating on me. It was really hot. What the gently caress do you want me to do about it?! I sweat a lot less now actually, because I drink less and weigh less, and do more reps, lift more weight. All around better person.