Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Got a new 1rm on my overhead press - 255 lbs. Tried to video it and put it on Instagram, but the camera angle is about as unflattering as it can get. Still gonna post the video even though I'm sure mocking will commence.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSgIZEyBIHu/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

7x3 jerks at 225. (instagram video link, this was set 2)

Two lessons from today:

1. I'm powering through on strength too much and not really letting proper form do its job. It wasn't until around the end of the 5th set that I really started landing properly (because by then my shoulders were so wiped I had to land properly).

2. I seriously gotta get a tripod or some poo poo if I'm gonna keep recording these. Videos from the floor are never flattering.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm still trying to figure out how to work on my front rack position. Look at all the distance between the bar and my shoulders...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX3zXd7FwXG/

I'm trying to hit 315 on my clean and jerk by next year, and I know I won't be able to do it with that weird hold.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

nooneofconsequence posted:

What about air squats

Calisthenics are a different path...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dum Cumpster posted:

I read that aluminum will decrease fat cell count.

On that note, is there a scan to determine the exact number of fat cells in my body? I want to calculate and update my BMR correctly.

A DXA (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) scan is your best bet for a super-accurate body fat test.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Metanaut posted:

I was sure the news were bullshit, because the first source I encountered was that oval office Bradley Martyn

:rip: goddammit

I don't quite get what is up with Bradley Martyn. Like, he seemed to be all over everything about six months ago, then there was some kind of controversy or something and now he never comes up in any youtube recommendations anymore. But, like, he still gets referenced in Dom Mazzetti videos so it's not like those guys have cut him off or anything.

EDIT: Also, the youtube fitness community has more pointless drama than a middle school cafeteria.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

hemale in pain posted:

Do you mean when taking the weight off? I once very stupidly took all the weight off on one side and the barbell tried to escape off the rack.

My rule of thumb is to not have one side with more than 45 pounds more than the other side. Also, it makes it fairly efficient to just start with taking a 45 (or all the smaller-than-45 plates) off one side, then you can take two 45s off each side as you take the rest off. (And really, carrying more than two 45s at a time is generally a bad idea.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

On the one hand, there are sometimes people doing ridiculous things around the gym that are kinda funny. On the other hand, way too many people who would greatly benefit from going to the gym and working out are too intimidated to ever do so because they fear that people like these guys are going to mock them for their ignorance of how things work.

The correct answer is probably a general improvement of the quality of physical education, so that the average person walking into an average gym will have learned enough in school about how a gym functions to not be worried that the second they get to a bench or machine a bunch of meatheads will be snickering at them in the background.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

feelix posted:

I guess that makes it ok to make fun of people at the gym

Honestly, if these "gym fails" type channels would give their content even the slightest bit of a non-rear end in a top hat spin they would probably be okay. Like maybe do a quick "this is how you actually do this exercise", "everybody starts out not knowing how this works - don't be afraid to ask the gym staff", and/or a "the gym's a good place to be" message once in a while would go a long way to counter-acting the negativity they bring about.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Booties posted:

Had to use a lovely horizontal life fitness leg press today as a warm up. How can you even get motivated to lift heavy without the threat of death looming right above you?

I'm kinda the opposite in that regard. My current gym has one of those Rogue Monster rigs, so there aren't the safety bars that you have in normal power racks. Since I always work out alone (and try to go when there aren't many other people in the gym), I would end up psyching myself out since there wasn't a good option if I ended up hitting failure during my squats. Not that I ever push myself to failure on those, but just the possibility was hurting my ability to push through. Eventually, I found the one set of safety arms that were buried at the back of the equipment shelf, and since I've started using those I've been able to hit higher weights. I've never even had a failure where I've had to use them, but just knowing they were there put my mind at ease and resulted in stronger lifts.

It's weird just how much purely mental things can effect performance.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Batterypowered7 posted:

Now you've done it.

Surreptitiously filming people at the gym to make fun of ridiculous workouts: bad

Editing together videos that people themselves posted of their ridiculous workouts: funny.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

feelix posted:

The world would be a better place if most people were dead myself included

For the love of all that is good, please work this out in therapy and not in this thread.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mobby_6kl posted:

Seriously how do I get arms like that :cry:

Weigh north of 350 pounds for a long period, and then lose a lot of weight so you end up with a bunch of loose skin that hangs down, giving a silhouette that can be confused with massive triceps.

(Make no mistake, she's done a great job and the progression is extremely impressive. Definitely better to have some loose skin than to have the same amount of skin but also all the additional body fat that went along with it.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hafþór Björnsson had a near-catastrophic miss when re-racking a huge squat, and it was only the fact that he had something like 4 spotters that saved him. (Of course, then he suffered the pec injury later when going for a powerlift world record.)

The lesson here is to have safety arms or bars and set them properly so that you can ditch or fail safely.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mustached Demon posted:

Power cages aren't too expensive.

One of the downsides of so many gyms getting those Rogue Fitness Monster Rigs (and their ilk) is that power cages have gotten a lot more rare. And while safety arms work just fine, safety bars in power cages have the advantage of (usually) always staying on the rack. In the gym I go to, the safety arms are stashed off in the corner and you have to go find them and attach them before your squats. Sadly, this means I'm one of the few people in my gym who actually bothers to do that.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Buschmaki posted:

Anyone else say completely deranged insane poo poo while lifting? I've been saying poo poo like "Power is everything...." or "The weak survive; the strong thrive"

I will let out the occasional Ronnie Coleman-inspired “nothing but a peanut!” during a particularly heavy lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMy3uuZResw

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Batterypowered7 posted:

God, I haven't used a hex bar in forever. I really liked it.

:nice:

Batterypowered7 posted:

God, I haven't used a hex bar in forever. I really liked it.

My gym got one of those open trap bars and it was an absolute revelation. Probably my favorite piece of equipment in the gym now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nothing like a man explaining what women actually think (and how it totally validates his life choices over those of other men).