Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

Sounds like you need a thigh gap
Nah, unless he is standing with his feet touching or something weird. There's no way in hell your balls should be out past your thigh unless you got like 12 inch balls or are clapping your thighs together for some reason which is real unnatural. My deadlift lockout is well past the lower part of my balls, I get bruises on my thighs while deadlifting, and it has never hit my balls.

Shrugging and dick, now that's an entirely different problem.

edit: On closer inspection, thankfully it's just below my balls. Welp guess you're screwed buddy.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

When I stand anywhere close to shoulder width apart my balls have nowhere to go but forward into danger territory.
I guess mine have nowhere to go too. I just have no physical awareness at all.

Also, snatch grip deadlift has hit my dick and balls before.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

UnfurledSails posted:

I have finally said gently caress it and bought a PPR200X power rack. Finally I can squat in peace without waiting in line forever like it's the loving DMV.
I go to the gym between midnight and 4am usually so no one is there anyway. I don't think I could deal with waiting to use stuff.

I do take somewhat long rest times so I wouldn't mind if someone or even multiple people worked in.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Defiant Sally posted:

I wish lifting weights would go back to the way it was 6 years ago when it was a niche interest that only no life autists took part in. Those were the days.
Just move to the north eastern US. It's a super niche interest here right now. Most of the local gyms have closed down and everything. There's just lovely chains like planet fitness.

Probably because most people just have home gyms. I know people in $850/mo 3br apartments who have power racks up on the third loving floor of a building constructed in the 1920s.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

is this a trick question
Not really. Steroids is generally the wrong choice unless your livelihood depends on it or you've been dedicated to the hobby for many years and want to take it further.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jonathan posted:

I'm already a candidate for t replacement therapy. But if im going to take 75mg per week I might as well go a bit higher. I know about post cycle therapy but don't really know what the best practices are for a constant use.
Was not trying to steroid shame. I like people who use and people who are natural equally. If you have very low T then it's a bit different. Most people (like >60%) won't have low T even in their 50s.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

Unless you're on roids, run a marathon every day or are like a jacked 6 5 there is 0 reason to be eating that much, unless you wanna get fat I guess
I'm 6'0 and my maintenance is 3440. I don't do cardio and I sit on my rear end besides 2 hours per day at the gym 4 times per week of lifting. I don't/can't do roids or anything like that. That two hours is mostly 3-5 minute rest periods too with the occasional almost 10 minute rest periods on heavy squat/deadlift days. I guess I superset most of my accessories at the end.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

10 minute rest periods? Are you doing 50 rep sets of heavy deadlifts?
Running Sheiko right now so nah. Mostly do 3-5 minute rest periods for deadlifts, 3ish for bench except near the end where I'll wait a bit more if I feel I need it. But the last set or three of squats I will rest 8-10 sometimes. Squats tax the poo poo out of my cardiovascular system and it takes a while for me to come down. I have a poo poo heart. I have a prosthetic aortic valve and mild aortic stenosis.

Tolkien minority posted:

Let me rephrase. Idk how old you are but a few random tdee calculators with male, 6' and moderate exercise (3-5 days a week) give a 3300-3500 maintenance only at 240-250+. So either you're obese (and should eat well below that) or roided up (and that is actually your Tdee). No one (maybe .01% of the population) is 250 lb and lean at that height naturally
I'm 235 and around 24% bf right now. I am not that muscular either. <6 months of lifting, no real GPP at all. I have a large frame in some ways.

Zzulu posted:

What do you guys do during your 10 minute rests

do you just sit there...watching
I pace back and forth like a madman, browse my phone, or do stretches/some practical movement stuff. I only just sit there and zone out if I'm totally tapped.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're fat dude, not "big boned". Start a hard cut asap. Can almost guarantee you're underestimating body fat too
I have been losing weight. I was 265 in march when I had open heart surgery again, 255 in June when I was able to begin physical activity after ~3 years of being borderline bedridden, and I'm 235 now.

If you go to the YLLS weight loss thread you can see some pictures of me wearing only boxer-briefs at 255 and 240. I've lost another 5lbs since the last one and probably put on another 1lb of muscle. I plan on going down to ~205 after eating maint for a month at 225. My stomach hasn't gone past my ribcage since 240 or so (~39" waist circum, ribcage area circum is ~40", hips were ~46", neck ~17"). Those measurements have all gone down except neck which went up and ribcage which stayed the same. My waist and hips were not much smaller measurement wise at 185-195 in the past.

Yeah I am weak and fat and have poo poo posture, the fat is going down, the posture is improving, the weak is becoming less weak, and I finally get to participate in a hobby I've wanted to participate in since I was 19. Or since a child? Since I was banned from most physical activity since a very young age.

GORDON posted:

And stop hogging the equipment with those stupid long rest times. Other people are loving waiting.
I go at 11pm-midnight and no one is waiting.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 5, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

This is wonderful and I'm very proud of you (unironically, getting in shape is so hard especially after something major like surgery), I'm just making a point about calorie consumption. You're eating way, way too much. I just checked out your pics, and I really, really don't think you are 24% at 6 0 and I don't understand why you would eat at maintenance at 225 considering you are still obese at that height/weight; I would recommend a minimum of a 1000 cal deficit really. To put it in perspective, 24% at 235 is a lean mass of ~180. That means at 200 lb you'll be 10% body fat. 6 '0. . That's fuckin jacked dude, like dedicated to the gym for years from a sedentary lifestyle.. You are not 35 lbs of fat loss away from being loving jacked, no offense intended. just going by pics alone I would guess 30%+ but it's hard to tell.
I'm not fuckin jacked even if I was at 8% bf right now. I don't have much muscle at all.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cobra Commander posted:

Chips and salsa are better than salami.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bGHfhEIrkY

This is me when someone says something like that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dicere posted:

So it seems to consensus on the internet is that drop sets are good for aesthetics but don't really provide any strength gains. This just doesn't add up to me and doesn't jive with my experience so far. If I LOOK really jacked, surely I must at least be somewhat stronger than when I started, right? After reading on the topic, I decided on doing heavy weight, reps to failure, slowly scaling down until I'm burnt out, and then really dropping the weight to bust as many reps as possible.

What say you goons?
Hypertrophy is just one variable to strength. If you are training for strength and do drop sets they probably won't hurt but could be less productive than doing a relevant accessory.

Spoto used to do drop sets and lots of bodybuilding work and there aren't many people you'll see bench 315 for 45 reps like it weighs nothing. I don't think he did them anywhere near when he did that though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Homestar Runner posted:

da gently caress does this even mean
Hypertrophy/muscle mass are like potential strength. It is the most important variable in how much you can lift if you are proficient at lifting heavy and do it with a reasonable frequency. But if you don't lift heavy, you won't be as strong with the same amount of hypertrophy. This study is kinda relevant and illustrates the point. With that said, it kinda doesn't matter because if you already have the muscles you'll make strength gains crazy fast. Greg Nuckols wrote a kind of interesting article as well that even advocates bodybuilding style hypertrophy routines for powerlifting.

The second part means, you can do drop sets it will probably help if you get results from it. The only time it wouldn't help is if you are cutting corners on other parts of training that would have had better results due to time constraints. Or if you're too fatigued from it come the next workout.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 10, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

E_P posted:

I remember when SA was all about squat variations like zercker squats and stuff. Like what the heck boys.
I've been doing front squats lately. And 2 second pause at quarter or half squat on the way down back squats. They are both very annoying for entirely different reasons.

Front squat because I have to use straps and have to fight forward lean hard near the bottom, pause because come on it just sucks pausing there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

It sucks pausing there because that's where the greatest compressive force occurs on the knee. You're loving up bad, bro.

If you're going to pause do it below parallel.
It's in the program to pause there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 10, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Your program sucks.
It doesn't go above 70% 1rm on reps that pause there, and it's a fairly widely used program. It's also only in one of the four week cycles, the lightest one overall, and it has helped immensely with form.

I'm not buying that it will hurt your knees. If it were true then squatting, even below parallel, would hurt your knees eventually because you're applying the same force every rep just for less time. And the programming isn't "half squats" it's pause in half squat position then finish the rep with a relatively light weight. There are plenty of normal back squats and front squats in the programming as well, often on the same day.

I get that terminal half squatters who use heavy weight often have knee problems. It makes sense, but the volume isn't there. 32 reps total in the 4 weeks, if I just ran the 4 cycles over and over it'd be something like 96-128 reps per year depending and at low intensity.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

There's no advantage to what you're doing. Your program is dumb.
That same compressive force is on your knee before you break parallel and after you rise above it. Pausing for a second or two isn't going to break the bank.

The advantage is in form and controlling descent. When you pause at that position you tend to not excessively forward lean and do shift back a bit more. Which carries over nicely to correcting form when you aren't pausing. There are literally 2 days of them out of 4 months of programming. "My knee had a bit of extra compressive force, it is forever damaged" is not how the body works. I don't plan on running them in future cycles because the issue has already been corrected, but they were useful.

Saying a Sheiko program is dumb is kinda silly. The only thing dumb about Sheiko programs is they are time consuming, and if time were a limiting factor you'd be better served on something with less sets of higher reps.

edit: Like, think of it as impulse placed upon the knee. It's likely not going to be 10x more than a normal rep, and even if it were that's completely acceptable given the rep scheme for the paused squats is 3x1 @ 50%, 3x1 @ 60%, 3x4@70% in reps x sets.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Force is mass times acceleration. Descending or ascending at a steady rate through that portion of the lift creates far less force than moving after a pause or change in direction.

This is basic maths.

sassassin posted:

But if you're only doing a little bit of pointlessly damaging nonsense I guess it's alright.
hey bud, ever heard of newton's third law?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 12, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jonathan posted:

I've been "bulking" for a bit and I'm up to 233lbs now (6'2")

Can someone do some quick math at calorie goals to stay around the same weight but drop around 5%fat.

Shedding weight is easy for me but it always takes muscle with it :(
Only you know your TDEE. Track your weight and how many calories you're eating for a week or two.

If you have that information already and post then people could tell you, but the "5% fat" part is irrelevant.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

my right wrist hurts something fierce when i have it palm up. cant put weight on it when palm up. every other position is fine. resorting to hammer and cable curls.
Does it hurt on the part below the pinky? If so, try tilting your wrist slightly back and see if it helps. You could also angle your hand slightly like a hybrid between hammer and normal but just a slight shift to hammer style.

If it just hurts period then don't listen to that advice. I was somehow moving my wrist slightly with my right hand while curling and had to compensate with those two things for a few weeks until it went away. My right wrist also has significantly more flexibility than my left so when I was learning to lift I had big issues with it being in exaggerated positions compared to the left.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

Palm up, the pain in on the left side of my right wrist. Can't support weight at this position. I benched and did overhead presses last night with no pain whatsoever. :confused:
Yeah, I would describe that as the place I was talking about. It's often from unintentionally involving your wrist in curling or some similar use of it. If you can still hammer curl/bench/ohp fine it sounds exactly like what happened to me.

Intentionally leaning your wrist back slightly while supinated and/or intentionally rotating it slightly like 1/10th of a hammer curl rotation should make it painless.

ATHLEAN-X has a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl_GlQJPy8Q

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 14, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paper Diamonds posted:

Got cornered by a "I have a master's degree in exercise physiology" guy today who told me that i should never touch and go bench and only pause bench for everything ever and also that my program was bullshit and that i should be doing westside barbell.
I wonder if he actually has one.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 14, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jabronie posted:

i wonder how much protein powder i can stir in with a pan of mac % cheese
You could just add more milk if it stops stirring. It's the way of the protein powder as an added ingredient.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
did I just watch someone pass out on a single rep of 205lbs, did he hit his head and have a seizure?

also jealous as gently caress that his upper back doesn't round even a little

The only time I got lightheaded deadlifting was the first time I pulled sumo.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 18, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bone app the teeth posted:

i ate pepperoni and not salami tonight how hosed are my gains
I was trying to figure out what food was high in carbs+fat and not protein earlier.

The answer was so simple.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Dips are the squat of the upper body. Not really in muscles worked, but in wanting to get the set over with.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FedEx Mercury posted:

Congratulations, time to train for 315.
Nothing is ever good enough once you start going to the gym. It's a never ending cycle of bigger, sometimes leaner, heavier, more reps, less rest.

drat horror queefs posted:

it's okay to just shove a whole bagel in your mouth for breakfast right?? Calories equals gains Right???????????
Bagels give you carbs and like the other macro nutrients, fat and protein, carbs are good.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

the post about unflavored protein going into mac and cheese is changing my life
I always end up not macing mac n cheese because I'm like do I want velveeta or extra sharp cheddar? Sometimes american is pretty good too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

Is it possible to do deadlifts without making noise when you put the weights down? I switched to a smaller gym on campus and it's over some classrooms so they're technically allowed but they're super strict. i guess technically i could lower weight and be super careful but that seems like kinda a waste
There's no way you're going to go heavy and put it down lightly every rep. With a rubberized platform maybe, but I'd still bet the last rep just tanks.

Maybe I am kinda biased because I have t-rex arms so I always drop the last 0.5" or so even with a controlled descent.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 30, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DisgracelandUSA posted:

:whatup: T-Rex arms buddy. How's your bench??
A lot worse than my deadlift. But it will be good one day.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GORDON posted:

In my gym the regulars are a group of six guys with prison tats who do the bro hug and talk about women and motorcycles, a few of us in there with our heads down grunting and dropping sweat, a few very hot women in there as personal trainers, and then for some reason we are all outnumbered by the elderly, oblivious to their surroundings, doing one set on everything with no weight, and moving on. When you throw new people in it all just breaks down. Everyone be REALLY discouraging to people talking about joining g a gym soon... If they aren't committed enough to go in spite of a little discouragement, then they aren't going to stick with it, anyway.
You forgot the key commandment of elderly gym use: Thou shalt not have a rom greater than 0.5 inches, even if you are guaranteed to have greater rom while doing things like walking or getting situated at the machine.

This one guy moves the weights in like 20 pico-reps a second through spasming oscillation.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

The last gym I went to was in a more affluent area so all the old dudes were on roids and stronger and leaner than almost all of the young dudes.
Those aren't elderly people. They're just old. I know someone in his 60s who meets that description. Dude is loving jacked, and he trained natural for ages until he sold his business for the better part of 8 figures and then hopped on juice and lived a life of leisure and iron.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zzulu posted:

60 year olds can still be swole

once you're 70 you are ancient and will struggle to do anything swole-related. unless you're this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTeA35y4JE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOgYRgusb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWI4tZJN2A

I can't find the video I was looking for. Pretty sure someone 70+ competed at USAPL Raw Nationals this year. There's also a canadian guy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"Maybe try a clean bulk instead of eating poo poo."
:magical:

He was very well spoken and I really liked listening, thanks for the link.
All I'm hearing is "born to gain mass" because I love eating 6,000+ kcals/day and my digestive system handles it like a champ. Bowel movements once per day, pretty much never an upset stomach or anything like that. And clean foods usually taste great anyway. That was before I did any physical activity. I've been eating around 2600-2800 for the past 3 months or so and lost like 23lbs, and it's okay. I'm not hungry, but I want to eat more most days. Probably because I am not getting all that many carbs most days hitting 260g/protein and around 75g/fat per day.

I doubt I'll ever eat that much for any extended period again, but boy do I love consuming food. Once I hit 14%-16% bf I am going to wait a few weeks then hop back on the surplus train in a slow, controlled way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

UnfurledSails posted:

Eating clean is cool for cutting since "clean" food is usually also not very calorie dense so you can eat tons of it even at a deficit.

My problem is that clean eating pretty much means "food you prepare/cook on your own" and the food I can make takes too long to make and tastes horrible. I wish there was like a 2000 calorie pill so I can solely concentrate on working out
I wasn't too keen on the cooking at first, but I feel way better eating clean and the results are way more consistent. Nutrition fact labels are total bullshit.

I buy 6lbs pack of chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts and you can literally toss salt/pepper/cayenne on them and then put them in the oven on 400 for an hour, check the temperature, and add around 10 minutes for every 10 degrees it is away from 180. Comes out juicy as heck every time. For variety you can mix with rice, toppings, or even tortillas and some cheese and vegetables. Or you can just eat the chicken breast, altho if you eat 1.25lbs at once with no carbs it kinda sucks downing the last 0.25-0.5lbs. Cumin, onion, and garlic powders are also decent things to season with.

I've also sauted, but that does take lots of time if you're doing 6lbs of chicken. Need to cut it and do like 3-4 pan fulls. I often just marinated them briefly in some kind of pseudo buffalo sauce with worcestershire sauce and frank's hot sauce with chicken prepared this way. Goes great with rice.

Lately I've been eating burritos with 85-15 ground beef. 3.5lbs of beef in the pan with 3 bell peppers and 2 onions, strain, put it back in the pan, toss in a big can or two of refried beans. Put in a tortilla with whatever veggies (lettuce/tomato being obvious) and some cheese. Lasts around 5 days. You can see with the taco or fajita seasoning packets but I prefer it without that. If you want to eat something real lazy and kinda gross you could use regular ol baked beans with no veggies and it will literally taste like baked beans. I'd recommend against it, personally.

I guess I am weird because I like plain food quite a lot, too. Too many seasonings and you can't taste the ingredients.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

u need to step your burrito game up son
I'm open to suggestions. The burrito game is a new thing. I use too much refried beans at the moment, and while that results in kinda sweet macros when you eat 0% greek yogurt and whey protein too it's not ideal because eating a lot of beans isn't such a great thing it turns out, so I would be glad to use a lot less and substitute with something else.

I was going to get some salsa next time. I usually manage to cram all of that stuff I listed into 10 extra large tortillas.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

go to your local carneceria and get flank steak/pollo asada
We don't have a carneceria. We have some salchicharias. The regular supermarkets here also carry that stuff you listed.

I thought you were talking about toppings/seasonings. Ground beef has been on sale, I paid $2.85/lb for 93-7 the other week and $1.99/lb for 85-15 the other 2 weeks. At those prices the value is too high to not buy it and make burritos. It's normally like twice the price or something, or at least 50% more.

Chinatown posted:

also u can keep your burrito proteins/hot items in a seperate tupperware and reheat it by itself and add to a warm tortilla with fresh veggies

no more soggy reheated burritos
I just keep the meat and stuff in a pan with foil on top in the fridge, the vegetables in individual ziplocs, and then heat the meat (or meat+tortilla, no real difference), add cheese, heat briefly, then add vegetables.

Baked chicken breast, I usually just toss that in a ziploc. Sauted chicken I keep in a dish of some kind like someone who's not a savage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

"Hey man how much do you want in the bar for this set?"

"This time I'm going to go for......."

*DUN DUN DUN*

"HIGHEST WEIGHT"
Is highest weight more than max bench?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

I wish I could still make newbie gains. Getting bigger is hard. :smith:
I've blown up while losing weight and I'm only like 4 1/2 months in. I have a solid 20 months or so of great gains left, and then I have like another year of good gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kickascii posted:

I started my swole journey 2 years ago. A friend commented that I grunted and sighed when I sat up out of the drivers seat in my car.

I've been doing barbell squats regularly since then. I now explode out of my car like Brock Lesnar.
I can't explode out of my car because I am not small and drive a ford fiesta.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Good ahead and Google slow sets, also negative sets. I can't be assed right now.
On the concentric you get better gains going up as fast as you can while still controlling the bar. On the eccentric, you should be taking 2s anyway unless you're using super light weight and shotgunning out reps.