Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Huh, I'd always heard that slow concentric was good too (while mixing in other explosive workouts, including doing faster concentric on the bench - so, switching out slow and normal some workouts). Good to know, I'll adjust.
Well, it was one study on bar speed. So who knows. The results were pretty clear though. The group moving at twice the bar speed got almost double the gains in the study. In reality, claiming double is a tall claim but claiming that you probably get better gains moving the bar faster is probably not wrong.

You still get gains either way, and lifting is one of those most roads that aren't going in the wrong direction lead to rome activities. It just takes different amounts of time to get there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

E_P posted:

Are yall ignoring your lower back exercises like hypers?
I do hypers and RDLs pretty regularly. Heck, I do hypers with a 45lb plate in between bench sets all the drat time because it's fun and doubles as a glute activation activity. I do them less often clean gripping a loaded barbell. I also enjoy hypers. It's just a fun movement. One of the funnest there is.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 6, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

I like doing Good Mornings because Bruce Lee did them. Also sticking dat bubble butt out
Bruce Lee broke his back doing good mornings so not sure if that's the joke or something you overlooked.

Not that I have anything against good mornings. It is definitely a lift that needs to be respected though.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 7, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Real talk what's a good way to get protein as a vegetarian? Not including protein powders and poo poo cuz that dumb.
How do I climb a mountain in heels without messing up my acrylic nails?

You realize your fashion choice clashes with the activity at hand and don't.

If the person isn't vegan then eggs/milk/greek yogurt/pretty much dairy. Otherwise, you are pretty much going to need protein powder because most vegans can only get 150g protein in 3000-3500 calories with powder. There was some guy in YLLS who hit more in less, but I think he just ate tons of beans or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 7, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Keg posted:

I'm going to the gym tonight.
Same every MWFSa.

I need to figure out how to fit in 2 hours of cardio. I only got in around 50 minutes last week.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

Are you on steroids? That's a lot of volume.
You adapt to volume whether you are on PEDs or not.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

"make america swole again" shirts are gonna go like hotcakes tomorrow
A trio of power racks in every lobby. Paid for by everyone making our country weak and fat. Supplied by american barbell companies.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

average it out I imagine
Yeah. The same way you measure losing 3lbs.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jonathan posted:

Unless you're earning money, why bother clean n jerk. You'd never use that lift in day to day life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436f3DCSbI0&t=240s

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

drat, I only got 155 for 3x5 on Bench Press tonight. The 5th rep on the 3rd set barely went up so I just left it at that, plus a backoff set of 5 at 135 like a minute after. I have been drinking a little more than usual the past few days, need to get that back under control so I'll blame it on that and try it again next week. Also tried Romanian Deadlifts, they felt weird I'm not sure if I did them right. I took a video and my back seemed to stay straight but I may have bent at the knees too much.
I have to bend at the knees to keep balance but as long as your hamstrings reach the point of saying "hey bud, we're at full extension" you probably did it right.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zzulu posted:

This is me
I unhooked the full sized punching bag by accident and ran with it like I was running through a tire obstacle course and then kinda set it down in some corner. No one else was there so getting it hooked back up would have been difficult due to the height it's hung at and the chain thing.

I threw a foam roller like a javelin and accidentally got it stuck on a light fixture 14+ feet up on the ceiling.

I think that's all I've really done for accidentally malicious things at the gym. Pretty much sounds like I'm a middle schooler I guess.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

proof of concept posted:

How'd you manage that? You were swinging around in circles while clinging to it with an arms-and-legs spider hug weren't you?
I gave it a bear hug and stood up all the way except I lifted it too much. So pretty close. I definitely wasn't punching it.

I stopped doing this after that time. Also, there are usually people at the gym so I don't do dumb poo poo when they're around. Oh yeah, they put duct tape around the hook after when they put it back up.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 12, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

if you're talking about what i was referring to a guy said some stuff about doing bench and ohp on different days in the same week is bad or something? I was just joking around, i'm not sure what he actually meant. i'm pretty sure there is definitely room for both bench and overhead press to get along
I bench 4x per week which is everyday I go to the gym so it's impossible for me to do it on different days. Problem solved.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Here's a video of pete rubish deadlifting a normal weight for him then getting murdered by bikini girl bodyweight lunges and stuff. Pretty entertaining in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FDAn98Fs8&t=465s

Khorne
May 1, 2002

To be fair if he did that all in succession of course it would kill him.

But still lol. He had a lot of weight on the vagina machine.
Yeah, he was supersetting and had never done it before. Anyone would get killed unless they run that workout all of the time.

That machine only goes to 130lbs at my gym. It is completely useless. I could hit 20+ reps on it untrained. It was the only machine I could get anywhere near max on for a long time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 13, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Please don't shame my goal physique.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

probably nothing measurable. it's just a matter of comfort for me. I still want to get some rugby shorts to try but my regular basketball shorts like to hang on my knee when I squat. its not really a big deal though, I still wear those all the time, especially in the summer
I wear bball shorts and they barely go down to my knees. But you can clearly see my dick even in tight underwear. Kinda sucks honestly.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Yeah. Going early tonight at around 10:50pm in honor of the great feast that awaits me tomorrow at noon. Hope I don't have to wait around any.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 24, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Also I apologize for being an rear end in a top hat. I'm at the gym and this injury has me angry because I can't do poo poo.
You can squat apparently. Can you deadlift?

If so, what is there to complain about. :)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fallows posted:

Thats a pretty intense work out tho good for him

dunno why he was deadlifting in a squat rack though...
There's only 1 rack. Likely only 1 barbell.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

You're holding the bar wrong.
How do you hold the ez curl bar for skullcrushers? I think that's what's grinding up the mid part of my palm. It's not too ground up or anything just a bit of a callus. And only on one of the palms.

I'm just holding it on the closest curled part right now. It's kinda too narrow though, and I haven't found a wider grip that doesn't suck. I've watched videos and they all hold it on the close part, but for me that's kind of too close? I don't know. Maybe I'm just doing something stupid like letting the bar roll in my hand at some point.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 26, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

The bar shouldn't be in the mid part of your palm. Grip with your fingers.
It starts in the mid part and then it rolls back to my fingers once I'm not sitting up, and then when I am sitting up again it is back in my palm. I'm not sure how I'd hold it in my fingers during those parts. It doesn't roll around during reps or anything.

My skullcrusher routine goes like: pick up ez bar, kinda do the power clean motion to get it held in my hand the right way except hold it like a press instead of in the rack position, awkwardly sit down, lay down while holding it in a locked out bench position, get in position to do reps, do reps, either sit up or lower the bar to my abdominal/hip area and put it down and then sit up, put bar on floor. I don't know how dumb I am for doing it this way.

Zzulu posted:

Deadlifting is the only handdestroyer I know
Deadlifting has been exceptionally kind to my hands. So far. Maybe it is from deadlifting. It's hard to identify what it's from given that it is a callus and I only notice it after my session is over. It could also just be from bench because the bar definitely is near that area of my hand during bench and it's in a weird part of my hand that could easily fold. I also grip the bar like my life depends on it while benching and not during other lifts.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 26, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I know this grip because it's how I do a deadlift. It's also how the bar ends up during reps. But you can you really turn gravity against it the other way without issue while getting ready to do some skull crushers?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Maybe just don't do them then.

If you can't do a lift without hurting yourself (especially something as pointless as skullcrushers) it's better not to do it at all than to show up to the gym in gloves.
I don't have gloves or get hurt. That was the other guy. I've just been getting a callus a bit below where they normally form lately and I was trying to improve my lifting technique. I'll definitely try to grip it that way the entire time and hopefully it resolves it. If not, it might be from other lifts.

that is my hand with the part where the callus is circled. It's really not that bad I guess.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

nah that sounds dumb. Although I've been curious about trying out triples
I really like doing more sets at lower reps for squats. For everything else, eh, it's time consuming.

For squats it's nice because I find squats taxing as heck. I also have really bad squat proportions that make the lift more difficult (23" femur/19" torso and some other factors). If I didn't have so much torso lean I'd probably like higher reps more I guess.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 28, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It feels drat good to finally make progress in a reasonable timeframe on bench. God drat. My bench started out real bad and stalled a lot. Now it's not stalling much and getting better.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zzulu posted:

but thats what the powerlifters do hence it is also something I, random gymbabby, need to do

nevermind the fact that powerlifters do that poo poo to bend the rules of their sport and there's no benefit to it at all for a normie

This is a legal lift. Except in USAPL/IPF, because the heel of his foot isn't on the ground.

I'm not joking about either of those things even though it sounds like satire.

I can't arch for poo poo. I get clearance below my lower pack, but my torso is thick as gently caress and short and weird and poo poo. Maybe years from now I'll practice trying to get more of an arch when I don't have so many gains just sitting right there in front of me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 1, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

Is PPLx2 a waste of time if you're not on roids (or if you're a girl/manlet screw you tiny lowtax t:smith: )
No. It's not a waste of time.

You will see great progress. Is it better than a 4 day program? I mean probably not, but it's not worse either. It's all about what fits into your schedule and how much time you want to spend at the gym for how many days.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 6, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm taking the rest of the week off and it's driving me insane. I have a brain disease that makes me think if I don't show up I am going to lose my gains and not make progress. Tempted to go do cardio for an hour and a half. My idle heart rate is over 80bpm and improving conditioning will greatly help any of my squats that are more than 2 reps. Maybe.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

That's..,quite high. You might want to start with some low intensity steady exercise. Like walking briskly for 30-45 minutes or something.
Yeah. I was going to be on the treadmill and maintain ~140bpm for 40+ minutes. I think 130-140 bpm was at around 3-3.2mph which is garbage but I could maintain it indefinitely and felt fine the whole time without even really sweating. I should have lots of easy conditioning gains. I should probably look into cardio more because I can probably keep a higher bpm fine.

My idle bpm is over 90bpm lots of the day. Sitting around for a long time it dips to around 78 now. Probably the lowest it's been since I was 9-10 years old. It was at around 105-108bpm before I started working out with maybe 96-98bpm while sleeping/sitting down. I have a prosthetic aorta valve and some mild stenosis due to that as well as some thickening of the left ventricle. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to lift, but lifting has gone well besides squats.

bamhand posted:

Do some HIIT. 2 hours of cardio is a waste of time.
I don't think HIIT is for me due to the medical stuff and poor conditioning in general. I am fine with wasting my time doing 2-4 hours of cardio per week as long as it gets results.

I am up for trying more intense stuff that's less time consuming, though.

numberoneposter posted:

my max HR is like 195 lol

Tolkien minority posted:

are you on any meds? those can really gently caress with your heart rate. not gunna tell you to stop taking things you need obv but it might explain it. you also could just be in horrible shape
My max bpm I've seen in the past few months is around 210. It felt insane. I'm 29. I don't know what my literal max is. The only medications I'm on are warfarin and 162mg of aspirin per day. Neither should have any impact on heart rate at 103kg.

My lifting conditioning is alright besides while squatting. My heart rate doesn't exceed 155bpm after sets of compounds and usually doesn't even get that high. I can do volume work just fine on all lifts except squats. To compensate, if I'm supposed to squat 10x4 I'll do 5x8 instead but adjust as necessary. I like to try to do more than 5 up to the prescribed amount, next set do 5 subtract the extras and then repeat that cycle until I hit the programmed number of reps for the day at that weight. Takes a lot of time but works well.

The squat struggle makes no sense to me because I can blow my squat numbers of the water on a number of lifts that use any important parts of the squat. I can also do volume work just fine on deadlifts.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 8, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Woah woah. You do NOT want your heart rate at 210. Ever. At your age your target heart rate is about 165 when doing cardio, at the most. If you're getting up to 210, you need to dial it down, especially with your medical history
It only went to 210 or so the first time I deadlifted. Since then it goes nowhere near there.

Cardio I kept it near 130-140.

Tolkien minority posted:

is your diet and sleep in check? thats real bad idk. i dont know if warfarin would contribute but it's some serious stuff. def cut out any and all stimulants (including caffeine) immediately if you take any. if your con/ditioning is so poor that that a 20 minute mile is cardio for you i would focus on that and maybe like start walking or swimming or something idk. 103 kg is also overweight unless your built af (which I doubt) so that def contributes
I sleep 8+ hours and don't take any stimulants or anything like that. I don't even drink or smoke anything. Heck, I haven't had caffeine in over 2 months.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 8, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

I am not a doctor, so all I'll say here is look after yourself mate, and don't push too hard. :)
I read a poo poo ton of actual research, case studies, etc, and I also got this stuff approved by 2 cardiologists and my thoracic surgeon. It was a big decision. And the first week or two sucked because my heart rate would borderline max at times. If that didn't improve I would have quit lifting really quick. Since then, it has been all good pretty much.

The tl;dr is I have increased risks of certain things relative to the average person but not increased enough for it to really matter. And yeah, I am careful about not pushing myself in certain ways. I don't get lightheaded or anything so that's a great sign, and I haven't gotten any chest pains either. Overall, it might even be decreasing my chances of something bad happening due to the positive effects on blood pressure, heart rate, and stuff like that.

I'm still not sure how far I can take it, but judging by how things have progressed probably pretty far. If I can't handle really heavy stuff then I can always switch to more bb-centric stuff I guess. It's great finding something I can actually do, and having a surgery in march then starting lifting in june is a huge contrast to being more or less bedridden for the past few years and getting lightheaded just doing laundry or going to the store.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 8, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

i could be wrong, but isn't this like, complete broscience and as long you eat right and workout to failure you'll see growth?
Flow chart:

Am I lifting 60%+ of my 1rm?: Total number of reps per week generally reflect hypertrophy gains independent of rep range
Am I lifting less than 50% of my 1rm? Hitting failure you'll see growth probably, but I don't know why you'd intentionally do this unless you literally didn't have access to a gym.

There were a few well conducted studies where people did many sets of low reps, high weight vs people doing few sets, many reps of lighter weight and the hypertrophy gains were near identical. The differences were the low rep, high set group took loving forever to finish their work out, struggled more with recovery, and were less motivated to keep with the program. The higher rep, lower set group was pretty much the opposite and saw a bit less strength gain.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 12, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The distal biceps tendon can go gently caress itself. Only acts up on squats and while lugging groceries around if I flex my elbow. Also acts up during basketball when my finger tips press against the ball.

It's fine during bicep curls and pretty much everything else.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 13, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Godspeed, rowgoon. That's pretty loving fast.

I saw a dude with skinnier wrists than mine at the gym. I have bigger forearms :getin:
My wrists are 7" but my ankles are 10.8" :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Homestar Runner posted:

lol if u lift for strength
You're missing the fun progression part if you don't also lift for strength.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

Oberweis Eggnog is like 500 cal/cup just sayin....
I've wanted to buy egg nog all season, but I'm holding out for the holidays.

Mostly because I want to go from ~226 that I am now to 205 after the holidays, and drinking a ton of eggnog per day is not going to take me in the right direction.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

milk aint got 60 grams of fuggin protein in it tho, im just drinking this garbage twice a day for 10 days instead of my whey.

i just wanna be grow up and be a big boy okay guys :(

if i don't gain weight off this poo poo i'll go back to making shakes filled with real food and waking up at 3 to spoon pb into my mouth and then end chugging a bottle of water so i wake up to piss again
A gallon of milk has around 120g of protein, give or take depending on whether it's 1% or whole.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

Oh, it's hard to read his garbage. Enjoy cancer I guess.
Only certain ones are linked to cancer. One he probably isn't taking to gain mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

You have a dangerously high opinion of goon intelligence.
There's a good intersection of intelligence, availability, and price here.

He also posted he's on LGD which has gone pretty well in all clinical and animal testing. Although depending on dose and duration, he should probably watch his test levels. You can pretty much give test tier side effects with lgd, especially lowered test levels requiring pct and gyno, although it's far less common and dose/duration dependent.

Then again, S-4 is still readily available and it fucks up your vision. People are still taking it and stacking it with other SARMs for some reason. It makes no drat sense to me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 16, 2016