Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Spectral Debt posted:

I hit 225 bench press after four years of on and off again lifting, Im 208. IM SO loving PROUD OF MYSELF.

Congratulations, time to train for 315.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you dab it with cream cheese to meet your macros.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The gym is like an MMO with no level cap.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That slide isn't like a stack of weights on a cable. It's a drag adjustment. You set it according to whatever boat/crew weight you're training for.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are you doing the rowing machine for strength training? You are doing it wrong if so.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For dinner after the gym I made a salad out of rice and beans and refried beans.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Diamonds posted:

I put on ~20 pounds in 6 months when I first started lifting. Had to throw out some of my jeans not because of my waist being too big, but because my thighs were too big.

Yeah I get fat thighs too.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What's the etiquette in a rack line? Do you put your powder shaker on the rails like quarters on a pool table?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

What is that aghast face he photoshops on every dude? It seems familiar but I can't place it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have a hard time doing the standing overhead press without flexing the crap out of my back. However I did do a 1 rep 135 once that felt gooooood

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tolkien minority posted:

wanna buy a make america swole again hat but dont want to deal with people thinking its a trump hat, dilemmas

It could be both, win-win.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have a lifting buddy. It's like a nemesis who will drink and smoke with you afterwards.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

Short hoodie guy was training someone today, and I heard him say, "See that long muscle there? That's your bicep. But there's also another muscle right next to it, and you need to work that one too with a closer grip on the bar."

I thought they were called BIceps because they were two muscles. Right or wrong?

There's 4 major muscles in the upper arm. Bicep (two distinct cords), triceps (three cords), brachialis, radiobrachialis.
He was probably talking about the radiobrachialis which also forms a part of the forearm.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pon de Bundy posted:

if you curl a 25 lb weight a ton instead of doing progressive heavier bicep curls ..will you just get really veiny biceps ? What happens if you do tons of reps with relatively low weight ?

That's called "cardio".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

If your memory is fading and your mind is playing tricks on you, be sure to increase salami intake

Salami is RED MEAT and VERY SALTY stay away from it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

buddhanc posted:

Chest stuff today at the gym guys.

I added a new blister / future callus on top of the 8 I already have. I've been hitting a couple hundred balls at the driving range every few days. My hand will be indestructible and hardened like a siberian babushka

Nice, I'm glad to see some retired guys in this thread too. It's important to stay fit at the golfing ages aka twilight years.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Actually the forklift was invented already, long ago.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

my gym has been noticeably dead this week

is everyone just giving up for the rest of the year and getting fat basically?

Mine has been loving slammed and it sucks. I've seen dudes use two barbels in one rack!!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Diamonds posted:

Gym convo overheard from yesterday.
:argh: guy is a very angry 25ish man who is one of those "lift angry" gungho assholes who's always talking about fighting or breaking stuff to get back at people. :jihad: is large bearded man who doesn't generally talk much. :) is typical gym bro
:) and :argh: are talking about :) getting into a road rage incident
:) : So this guy is road raging at me and pulls up next to me screaming and I just ignored him until the light changed.
:argh: : I keep a big knife in my center console for stuff like that. I also keep an 18" steel rod in there in case I need to break a window and smash faces.
:jihad: : You should be careful with that steel rod, 1 in 4 adults in this city are licensed to carry a gun.
:argh: : There's a guy who work with who's always talking about guns. He said he'd shoot me if I ever tried to fight him and I was like 'if you pull a gun on me you better kill me'
:jihad: : Well... yeah that's kind of the point

Holy poo poo, are you a GBS time traveller from 2007?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

canned from the band posted:

Can't remember the last time I had a solid poo poo, should i eat more salami?

I think that's a fiber deficit, eat that salami on a whole wheat sandwich and wash it down with cottage cheese.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Iconic Racism posted:

Eggs are the swolest food type

Yeah they are the same shape as dudes who consider themselves swole.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Today I saw a guy doing bent over barbell rows... Only he wasn't bent over, just standing up but tilted forward just very so slightly at the waist so his lower back was incredibly arched, and only his heels were on the floor and he was rowing SO fast. I don't know what these people are thinking.

It's kind of like doing the rowing machine on 10. Cardio or strength, pick one!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Is there anything worth playing?

There's the hit 2012 game Metal Gear Rising, that's a good one.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Deadlifting after the Xgiving. I'm grateful for iron plates.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's when you're supposed to passively aggressively ask "how many sets you got left bro?"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's very humbling to blow out your hammies with 45lb dumbbell Romanian deadlifts.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

My current goal is to lose 12 more pounds by xmas, which will put me at 199.9. I haven't been that svelte since the Marines (I am also 6'0). I am thinking of going 100% cardio between now and then.... and call it a recovery period. But I am not sure I want to sacrifice the strength gains of the last 6 months. I want to keep the muscle but lose the layer of whale-like blubber.

Oh what to do.

Why don't you just cut regardless and then train back your strength later. Your muscle mass may go down but you'll retain the neural network so it'll be easier to get strong again (warning this post is 100℅ bro science)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

E_P posted:

I did legs today. Finally got my lever belt fixed so I went heavy on squats and worked up to 465lbs before I felt like stopping. Then I did step ups on a box that went up to my midsection with 135 and felt like I was dieing. Finished with a couple more exercises and then some half assed ab exercises. I considered stretching after but then decided rather then make a good decision I would go home and play MGSV.

I guess after a hard workout like that your brain would be in the proper low functioning mindset required to enjoy that abortion of Metal Gear game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't bother, you can't buy time.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Eat a big bowl of rice and beans, you'll feel right as rain.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What's a good way to squat more weight? I'm having a tough time.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

a mysterious cloak posted:

Put more plates on the bar

Ok, what if I can't stand up?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well what's gonna happen when there's a five alarm fire and your shoulder is too hosed to help prevent a taxpayer from burning to death. What about then

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's snowing, I want to go to the gym and just marinate in the outdoor hot tub.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you try to clean a weight and have no idea what you're doing, you can hurt your wrists pretty badly.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fallows posted:

I havent lifted in a good week

Statistically speaking there's no such thing as a good week.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The people who sign up and then don't use the gym are subsidizing the rest of us, be grateful you little turds.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus if you're doing 16+ plates on the leg press you have officially graduated from the assisted lifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This two guys were using a squat rack for 40 minutes but one of them was doing 4 plates so what can you say.