Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Wait what's this stuff about bench press being unnecessary? :stare:

if you're talking about what i was referring to a guy said some stuff about doing bench and ohp on different days in the same week is bad or something? I was just joking around, i'm not sure what he actually meant. i'm pretty sure there is definitely room for both bench and overhead press to get along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm not vegan. I'm not even vegetarian. I eat chicken almost every day.

Also, I'll be anyone's nemesis if they want me to be. I've been lifting for like 9 years sooooooo

i'm going to catch up to you in bench press...one of these years...if i manage to stop drinking so much. and clean up my diet. and sleep better. and not get injured

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I hosed my shoulder at work the other day so now I can't do any upper body exercises because it hurts like gently caress.

i know you're my nemesis and all but i hope it gets better soon. it's always so discouraging to not be able to workout because of one. I think I'm going to get back to squatting next session. My back feels better. I was supposed to go to the gym today but I wound up sleeping until 4 pm. I needed the rest though, fatigue builds up pretty bad over my stupid rear end 11 day work week.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Most of the people wear loving flip flops at my gym. One guy was doing bench presses with his feet on the bench like he was doing a sit up.

yeah flip flops is kind of dumb but im pretty sure that's a legit variation of the exercise. i hope you haven't made a power nemesis of flip flop dude

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Eldred posted:

Probably a bad call if you go heavy with it. You lose the stabilization from planting your legs on the floor, offloading too much of that weight onto your back, belly, and worst case scenario shoulders.

PS losing strength on a cut is the loving worst

yeah i think its more a body building thing so it's probably done at lighter percentages. i dont know, i don't do it myself, i just do the vanilla leg drive arched back version

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 16, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That looks interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about 4 days a week, I usually do 3 but I might try this out when I get bored of 5x5. How long does an average workout take you?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey persmegma do people ever modify that PHUL? I don't really want all that leg volume, at least right now. My legs already blew up way past everything else on just 3x5 squats and 1x5 deadlifts when I did SS. In fact I still haven't worked over 150 lbs since dealing with my knee problem this second go around, and they are still bigger and more defined then my upper body. I'm thinking Squats 3x5 deadlift 1x5 on the Strength Leg day and maybe Front Squat 3x8 and romanian deadlift 3x8 on the leg hyper day. I can add ab poo poo to fill out my time on those days.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'll keep it 4 days, I think upping frequency to hit my upperbody muscle groups 2 times a week as opposed to the 1.5 on SL might do me good. Unless you mean I could keep doing legs 3 days, but I've been wanting to work front squats and romanians in, so I may try it like I mentioned. Also thinking increasing weight only once a week would be more doable for me as well.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

I think it would be best to keep upper and lower on separate days to be honest, as otherwise the upper body volume will either leave you too tired for a good leg workout, or alternatively if you do legs first, it might impact the upper body lifts. But why not give it a shot, and see if it works for you? :)

Edit: but I'd only do legs on two of those workouts, given your knee problems you don't want to irritate by increasing volume too much. There's a piece here on volume. The aworkoutroutine site is really good for a lot of this stuff, you should look through his writing on volume, he writes a little on joint stress too.

Maybe you misunderstood, the way I wanted to do it keeps it that way. The only thing I'd consider on leg day is abs afterward, maybe curls. Also I feel pretty confident my knee issue is only from the tendons/muscles/whatever being tight from standing and walking all day. If I slowly warm up into squatting it's usually fine, at least here lately.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

E_P posted:

It is probably from squatting incorrectly. Have you considered tracking your knees outside more? Also have you considered lifting more? Also have you considered sticking a needle in your butt?

i think i've posted probably 100 times in this thread i squatted just fine for like 8 months, even went from like 115-225 with no issues at all. being a form nazi helps a little but it's not the main issue. only trying to sleep really good, eat good, and not drink so much has actually seemed to help so it's probably a tightness/recovery deal. also my knees acted up some before i even started working out again so unless i'm squatting with such horrible form my knee pain traveled into the past

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
if you have a pair of compression underwear under a thicker pair of compression tights you really can't see anything. doubly so if you have a longer shirt. I still throw regular shorts on over, but those come off whenever I go to squat or deadlift

like what is even the point "hrm yes let me put on clothing designed to be almost entirely non restrictive oh and yes, lets put on some more restrictive clothes on top because i have such a huge giant penis....7 inches un-erect

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 20, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Do compression shorts make you stronger and better? Or do they just give you bulging balls? Why not just wear shorts?

probably nothing measurable. it's just a matter of comfort for me. I still want to get some rugby shorts to try but my regular basketball shorts like to hang on my knee when I squat. its not really a big deal though, I still wear those all the time, especially in the summer

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

How the gently caress are regular shorts constrictive in any way whale or form? Lol that you can't squat in shorts. Wouldn't anything getting in the way of your 135lb squat!

you're such an rear end in a top hat and i was actually up to 225

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
im not even fat tiny lowtax

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
does everyone else get bullied this much by their gym nemesis?

ill be there though, in my best spandex

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i cant believe tiny lowtax stooped so low

tiny lowtax called us out and said how much do you guys squat

and just like that zzulu said when can we try and tiny lowtax said today at 2pm

so i didn't bother doing my usual workout and so did zzulu too and we had to get into special compression pants(tight pants...ugh)

zzulu enjoyed every minute of it

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Tried to do super light weight to test the shoulder yesterday. Tried to dumbbell press 25 and immediately felt pain in my shoulder. Looks like cardio, abs, and legs for the foreseeable future.

People gonna be like "drat, he skipped upper body day"

dang man, that sucks. you probably already know all the things to do, but have you tried gentle stretching? Also sometimes my shoulder bothers me when I bench, and if I do that pec stretch(doorway? the really common one) weirdly enough it makes my shoulders feel immediately better. so far out of all my injuries gentle stretching and not boozing too hard helps speed them along to recovery.

In news of me, I've decided to tentatively start progressive overloading my squats again and hopefully get back into the 200s soon. if my knee or back or even anything fucks with me this time without a good reason(like say i don't stretch for a few days) i'm going to go get a sports physio reference. the last doctor i went to said he would give me one. honestly even if my injuries aren't a big deal, they probably know better than I do the most efficient mobility routines and such to help mitigate the issue.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
im about to go to the gym...i hope it's empty and everyone is at walmart or something

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah i usually go cheap, the only expensive thing i own are some cw-x compression tights. i thought they might help my knee. i dunno. they do look cool at least imo other than that i get cheap poo poo anyway

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 25, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym-n9yPr88k

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Do you guys think this PHUL style routine would be awful? I have been lifting long enough to at least have an idea of exercises I like and don't like, but I haven't really deviated much from the standard 3 day full body ss/5x5 style of training so I just copied a phul template and put stuff I like doing. I'm still working on improving in other areas like diet/sleep/etc so this is just a little experiment for a while changing up frequency and whatnot to see how it goes and if I might like something different. In case people wonder about the leg days, I already know for a fact my lower body responds really well to low volume, when I first started doing starting strength my quads blew up in relation to my upper body, so this is more focusing on upper body. I am still learning though so for all I know this could be awful, but it looks to me like it would keep me entertained for a while and see how I respond compared to doing my older stuff.

Upper Strength Monday
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5
Incline BP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Pull ups
Face pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Strength Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Cable Crunches 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy Thursday
DB Bench 3x10
OHP 3x10
Incline BP 2x10
Cable Cross over 3x10
Dumbell Shoulder raise 3x10
Lat pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Skullcrusher 3x10
Face Pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Hypertrophy Friday
Front Squat 3x8
Lunges 2x10
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Farmers Walks
Planks

I'd obviously be going for more intense weights on the strength days, but lighter leaving a little energy in the tank on the hypertrophy days. I've always been a little interested in the BB style splits, but with the hours I work I just can't go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 28, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I could take out the inclines on strength days. I can't answer that because I haven't actually started it yet. Like I said, I just wanna swap things up for a while and include some other exercises I enjoy that aren't part of SS/Strong lifts.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
nah that sounds dumb. Although I've been curious about trying out triples

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 28, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Working up to a heavy single is the chillest routine.

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought you meant like, just a few light warmups, then one single.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

E_P posted:

I feel like I read this monthly. Your legs got bigger because they are the largest muscle group in the body and the source of most of your power. It is your body so you make the choices but really think about this. I always focused on legs since I started many years ago and now I have a giant swole rear end that my wife married me for.

No, it's not that I'm afraid of "getting too bulky" or anything like that. It's just I already know what sort of stimulus I need to get them stronger and growing. Why add a ton of volume when I know I don't need it? And besides, like I said this is just something to play around with for a bit before I move on. And it's not like I can't change programs or add in more volume if they start lagging behind. Also time and workout length is a factor, I work a million hours a week and why add in even more poo poo when, at this moment, I don't think I need it. Also still feeling out my previous knee issues, so no need to go overboard right away on that.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 28, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
guys i found tiny lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZelBJtWIWQ

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i took about a week or so off, most of my injuries feel gone, good and fresh. starting my little self designed PHUL program. It's probably not the best program but it has the stuff I like/want to do in it and because I'll only be trying to increase weight once a week for the most part, I think I'll progress better than on 5x5. I'll have to make sure to make myself go light on the hypertrophy day because there's a good bit of volume in there I'm not used to and I have a tendency to want to lift heavy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
why'd you quit doing your PHUL smegma? I remember saying you liked it and that's what gave me the idea.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Haven't quit yet, but I've been doing it for seven or so months now and just felt like switching things up a little to keep it fresh. I'll probably go back to it very quickly :)

Ah. Yeah I feel you, I was getting way to bored with SL. I eventually want to do a "real" program, but since I still have a lot of exercises and other things like rep ranges I want to try out more, like front squats and romanians, I figure programming around that to the best of my ability would be better than doing a program I'm bored with and randomly adding poo poo in and swapping exercises around. I'm still learning to cook and get into better routines, so really it's just to keep me occupied for another month or two. If I make good progress and enjoy it, I'll keep it up. If it's kinda lovely, no big deal I'll move on to something recommended.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That's true and not true at the same time. I worked out for about 6-8 months a couple years ago, made decent progress and learned a bit, then quit for almost a year. I started going back again about 5 or 6 months ago, and made most of my progress back, learned a lot about my body in that time working a ton of hours and working around injuries, so while I still consider myself a noob I do feel like I'm really good at getting a feel for what works and doesn't at least. I actually spent a good amount of time thinking on this. I posted it a couple weeks ago but revised it up a bit. Right now I'm going to roll with

Upper Strength Monday
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Pull ups
Face pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Strength Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Cable Crunches 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy Thursday
BB Bench 3x8
Dumbell Bench 3x10
OHP 3x10
Dumbell Shoulder raise 3x10
Lat pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Face Pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Hypertrophy Friday
Front Squat 3x8
Lunges 2x10
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Farmers Walks
Planks

I feel like I can handle the volume of the hyper days as long as I don't go nuts on weight. I also feel like the pulls are fairly balanced with pushing, better than SL at least. Even if it winds up being a garbage program, I'm still excited to try something different out and has me looking forward to the gym again so in a way, it's already working. I kind of wanted to move biceps to leg days to make those a little longer and shorten the upper days a bit, but I'm not sure if the pulling exercises will hit my biceps enough that they'd be worked to frequently, so I just decided to keep it. Curls are easy to superset in with other stuff to save time anyway.

Groke posted:

By my understanding, science and empiricism say that more frequency is better for natty lifters, who really should be hitting every muscle group at least twice per week. It's the pharmacologically boosted lifters who can make better use of programs with lower frequency.

That's partially why I wanted to try the phul thing, to see if doing bench/ohp both twice a week would work any better than the weird rotating 1/2 times a week that SS/SL does. I was wondering if doing both in the same workout would suck, but I did the strength night tonight and my OHP wasn't as weak as I thought it would be after benching. I just made sure to take a solid 5-6 minute break between.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i hope i'm not those things. i keep an open mind and try to learn though

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

you should try decreasing the quantity of types of exercises, and focus on increasing number of sets. also, as you're on the four-day schedule (best schedule), you should try devoting each day to a major lift (squat, bench, dead, ohp) and then add in two or three accessories/core, depending on how long your focus lift takes.

this is not ~expert advice~, just your schedule looks like what I used to do but then I evolved to doing what I just recommended, and I found it much preferable. might help you jump off the "gotta find a program" railroad you're on.

Yeah, i thought about doing it that way at least how I think you are suggesting. Where you focus on a heavy lift for strength, then do lighter weight higher volume after. I dunno, right now I just wanna do something different for the time being so I'll try out my thing for a bit, then reevaluate in a month or two.

Also since I'm in the gently caress it let's experiment phase, I decided to give high bar squats a shot. They feel...weird. and it hurts my traps/neck. I can deal with it, but I just hope I'm not putting the bar in the wrong place. It's about 3 or 4 inchs forward of my low bar position, right on my traps and the bar goes across my shoulders probably about where the posterior and middle delts meet, so slightly rear of perfect center if you're looking straight down. The good part was I was able to get down really deep without much butt wink at all compared to low bar, also my knees did alright.

Also I think my abs got a lot stronger working this job I have....I was strong enough on cable crunches to do like 100-120lbs which hurt my elbows just to even hold onto in a static state. I forget what weight I used to do on them last time, around 60 or 70 I guess.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

I got random knee pain today while warming up for squats. Like searing intensely hot knee pain once I hit 185. However I am no bitch and did my working sets anyways.

*hobbles away on broken hips and lower back*

that sounds like how my patella femoral feels. is it a bad burning almost right behind your kneecap? Maybe slightly toward the top part? Foam rolling quads and couch stretching should relieve it if it keeps hurting, helps me a bit.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So today was my hypertrophy day for upper body and it was my first time doing side lateral raises. I knew I'd need to start light, but I was only able to do 15 lb dumbells for like 8 or 9 reps. Is that normal? Fwiw I did 6 total sets of BP, dumbell and barbell, and also 3 sets of standing OHP, so I wasn't at 100% by the time I got to them, but still I felt really weak.

e: I should go rewatch some form videos, I may have been trying to raise too high.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 9, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I'm not surprised. I feel like I'm good at making OHP a compound lift, I feel like my triceps and upper chest as well as shoulders all contribute to the movement, so I haven't really had anything really hitting my shoulders specifically this entire time, unless you count face pulls. Overall I really am enjoying this program so far. I was pumped up like hell tonight, you could actually see muscles, albeit tiny ones through my shirt. I need to hurry up and shed this 20 lbs of fat I've gained the past year.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Interesting, I may try it if I can't get into the regular version, but I don't like one limb variations because I already have so little free time even if it is only adding the time it takes to perform it. I usually get to the gym by 2:15 and start to get antsy if I'm there too long after 3. One day I'll work regular hours again.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How do you guys feel about doing them like this dude? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM

When I first saw his channel I was weary because it has a lot of the "buy xxx" stuff and super catchy name, but once I watched them all he seems pretty informative. I've learned a ton of good stretches from him. The sitting down hamstring stretch is my favorite hammy stretch behind legs up the wall.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I minorly injured something doing those lateral raises. Sort of my upper right chest, around my collarbone has a tight muscle. It's hard to tell exactly because the pain is so minor, and usually only when I'm shifting around a certain way or breathing out all of a sudden. At least I know how light to start next time.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
im pretty sure i've never hurt...uh..my foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
No pain or injuries today in my workout. Good stuff. I've been generally trying to eat healthier and drink less, but I'm thinking about giving macro counting a go. As it is I just eat a certain amount and try to get at the very least 130g of protein in every day.