Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Yaaaay, thread back!

Today I lifted things. Is good. I am progressing on my lifts again and am going to spend the winter going from 145lb to 155lb, and then decide what I want to do next.

Also rib-popping sounds like the most :gonk: inducing thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I have a cold and haven't left the house, so no cardio. Should I drop my calories a few hundred calories today, or eat at maintenance anyway? :/

And how many calories of salami?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hit a new PR at 190lb bench for three reps. Awesome :getin:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Can I spot you bro

Hells yeah, you're my fire-fightin' gym idol!

Plus I'm getting to the stage where bench-pressing is making me fear for my life.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Seen a 1kg increase after finishing a cut and going back to maintenance. This is just water-weight, right? :ohdear:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Winnie the poo poo posted:

its all greasy yellow fat exactly where you don't want it

Nooooooooooo :unsmigghh:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Another new Vader tape in like 2 weeks boys

Awwww yeah. This better wash away the bitterness of the new Dark Tranquillity album.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Oh man I love DT, but haven't bothered to keep up in the last few years. Did they get bad?

Worse. They got boring. They're playing it pretty safe, and while technically competent and occasionally catchy, every song they've released so far pretty much sounds the same. With the last album, 'Construct', I'd be pretty hard pressed to name a track in the same way I could immediately identify 'Punish my Heaven', 'Insanity's Crescendo' or even 'Lost to Apathy'.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I was at the gym this morning. I did squats, and then I ran for 15 minutes because I hate myself.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
My bench :smith:

On hypertrophy last week, I got 75kg on benchpress for 9 reps in the first set, then 8 and 7 respectively. Did 10 on the first set today, and only 5 on the second. :(

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

We shoukd feel nothing but shame and crippling body dysmorphia.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Chinatown posted:

lifting with hate in your heart is better than any pre-workout

I'm about to go do squats while thinking about politics type stuff :argh:

Or is it only self-hate, in which case, in going to lift while thinking about the fact that I haven't been able to add weight to the bar this week :argh:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Squat report: hatred felt for self resulted in successful sets of squats at 95kg for three sets of ten. Current status: self loathing reduced from all-encompassing to mild.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Chinatown posted:

hate anything, and, preferably, everything.

But I like you guys :shobon:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

GORDON posted:

Just left the gym. Already getting tired of new people flailing around and screwing up my rotation. I am going to be very irritable with the coming resolutioners. I might need to stock up on chill pills.

New intakes to university gyms are the worst. Bunch of 'this is the first time in a properly equipped gym' teenagers who spend most of their time using it incorrectly and taking selfies.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I wish I could still make newbie gains. Getting bigger is hard. :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

pretty sure its bro science garbage perpetuated by starting strength autists

You were right, Atoma is the best thing DT have put out since Damage Done. :black101: no idea why they released one of the weakest songs on the album first.

Anyway, trip to gym: squatted 95kg for three sets of 10 reps. I'm tired of being light, I'm switching to a hypertrophy routine to see if I can actually gain some mass rather than just getting stronger but looking similar. 65kg and benching 90kg for 3 reps is fun, but I'm sure being 75kg and doing it for 10 is even better.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Keg posted:

THERE IS SOMETHING NEW IN THE WORLD OF FITNESS, CALLED MUSCLE CONFUSION!!!!!!!!!

Is that how muscles confuse you because they won't grow :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what if it doesn't hurt at all in a few days? I mean I strained a low back muscle real bad a while back, that poo poo hurt a lot worse than this and I had to go to the doctor and everything, but it was fine after a week or two. I'm just saying, I hope it's not going to take 3 months but if it's still hurting I'm not going to try and lift through it or anything. In fact if it's still hurting in a few days I'll probably go to the doctor. In fact when I went for the back deal he said if I had any issues down the line he'd recommend me to a sports physio so I guess I'll take advantage of that, I'm sure they could give me a ton of good info on how to manage lifting with this retarded job. The only time I ever got injured before was if I did something stupid while drinking in the front yard

If it's not hurting in a few days, still give it a few more days. I went back to deadlifting a week after tweaking my back lowering the weight, and after one session when I felt fine, I was barely able to walk for another week, and it was another month before I could deadlift properly (with about half the weight). You don't gently caress around with back injuries mate, better to take it easy now than be laid out for the considerable future.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

Who even needs a spine though

What does a spine even do?

Gives your shredded abs something to support :getin:

You know...some day :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

Yes. They're dumb.

I do stiff-legged deadlifts. :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

its snowing outside but i will brave the icy hellscape in order to go to the gym, so that i may deadlift

please wish me luck and if i do not return and perish in the frozen wastelands, please tell my mom that all the preworkout and protein stuff in my cabinets arent scary drugs,

Stay safe swolebro.
Don't be a swoleghost.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I hate deadlifts.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Real talk what's a good way to get protein as a vegetarian? Not including protein powders and poo poo cuz that dumb.

Lentils, beans, eggs, cheeses like cottage cheese, greek yoghurt (like, real greek yoghurt, stuff like Fage, not 'greek style'), oats and buckwheat have a pretty decent protein content, and the lentils, beans and oats also double up as good fibre sources.

Oh, and peas. But you've got to eat a lot of them.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I did cardio. Not a weight was lifted.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will break my bench PR.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

My back is still feeling better but I didn't squat today. I did do pendlay rows though but it was only 100 lbs and everything felt alright. also hit 150 on bench for a 5x5 which is technically a volume pr for me. yes that's lbs. arms weak. so what.

Good :)

Also, just wondering, are you ensuring that your stomach is suitably braced before commencing the lift, and do you do any separate core work (planks, ab whee, etc)?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

In a perfect world yes, I think I know all the right things to do. I brace with a big breath like I'm about to dump a huge poo poo, etc. I had no problems taking my squat from 115-225 for reps and deadlift from 180-300 a couple years ago when I worked normal hours. But now that I work a ton, and I lift after sometimes I'm really tired and I have to be really vigilant I don't gently caress up. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I messed up putting the deadlift down. I think what happened is on one rep, I started lowering it faster than I wanted, and I tried to slow it down. Not in a very exaggerated way, but I definitely did something weird. I always used a platform at my old gym so I'd just drop them in a controlled manner. I think I may just do romanians or stiff legs until I join a better gym.

Also I don't do any other core work since I started lifting again a few months ago but I may start adding cable crunches and planks back in. I used to like doing those. e: bodyweight planks are one of those things it's okay to basically do every day right? I may just add them in to my stretching routine. Also I remember a while back Omar did a video on how they are actually good to do before you squat as a warm up to help get your hips and glutes going. Not sure if it's BS but I tried it a couple times and it seemed to help.

As well as switching to straight leg straight back deadlifts for a while to work on strengthening my lower back, increasing my core work had a massive impact on my form and technique. Doing planks before can't hurt, give it a shot and see if it helps. :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Pumped iron for the Iron Dread Abuela.

Voted last week, because I don't wanna take time away from blasting my core with these planks between weighted hyperextension crunches and twists.

Core status?

Also, Vader is an awesome band to run to. Angels of Steel has a good rhythm.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

loving. Blasted. One of those times you're crouched over slightly walking back to the locker room.

:getin:

I'm almost at the stage where I'm going to start wearing a weighted dip-belt for hanging leg raises. Nothing beats that 'bending down to tie shoelaces is serious business' feeling.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

jarbv posted:

i just started german volume training, i'm really excited about how much it hurts

but also doing ten sets is almost boring, wtf

Are you on steroids? That's a lot of volume.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Khorne posted:

You adapt to volume whether you are on PEDs or not.

But 10 sets of 10 reps each? My elbows would be ground into dust...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Oh man. Going to the gym because not only do I need to be swole i need to be able to strive the Mad Max hellscape.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Seriously, seems deadlift is going to be the most important lift to be able to do now the apocalypse is here. Everyone get on those hyper extensions!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Swolethread in scared to bulk :smith:

Gone from about 144lb to 147lb in about six weeks (I'm just over 5'9") and my brain is telling me to stop. :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Chinatown posted:

thats 3 pounds

eat a loving burrito jesus christ

That's the reassurance I needed, thanks dude :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Guys I'm deadlifting

Haha don't you hate it when you do a deadlift and when it's pulled up all the way your dick hangs over the bar haha

Do you deadlift naked or something? ;-*

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Wait what's this stuff about bench press being unnecessary? :stare:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

E_P posted:

Decline and incline cover your pecs entirely and are much more natural motions. Some bodybuilders only bench when they're making a video because the motion can be stressful on the elbows/shoulders. Keep in mind this is from lifting 4 plates or more repeatedly not from putting up 185lbs. I still do it though because it's a nice bragging lift, throwing up 365lbs for a few reps makes me feel like an adult.

Ah gotcha, thanks, I thought they were referring to all the chest-focused presses, not just flat bench.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

if you're talking about what i was referring to a guy said some stuff about doing bench and ohp on different days in the same week is bad or something? I was just joking around, i'm not sure what he actually meant. i'm pretty sure there is definitely room for both bench and overhead press to get along

It was more the first point. But I tend to alternate, if I'm going heavy on the bench one day, I'll do lower weight less reps and do lateral raises, and then the other upper body day, I'll go heavy for the overhead press, and the lower weight higher reps on dumbbell incline. I found trying to go heavy on both chest and shoulders was hugely counterproductive.

In other bench news, I got 3 sets of 3 reps at 90kg on the bench this morning :getin:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I hosed my shoulder at work the other day so now I can't do any upper body exercises because it hurts like gently caress.

Get better soon, nemesis of Triple D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

BoonyPC posted:

well I did jack poo poo today cos I hear you should rest occasionally, I'm old and have also been sleeping like poo poo.

could have easily ran 10ks and lifted a few tonne though

Same. Except for the running 10ks. I did some elliptical instead :shobon: