Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Peeps should have possibly considered they moved into apartments over a gym

At the gym pooping right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
But don't let her see it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Having my pre-workout poop at the gym on Hump Day, what what.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Defiant Sally posted:

There's this family owned Mexican place down the street from work that I've probably funnelled thousands of dollars into by now. Eat there at least once a week and at one point literally everyday for 3 months.

My personal favourite is (on the biggest tortilla) tinga, black bean paste, Mexican rice, pico de gallo, extra cilantro, sour cream and burrito sauce, and then a big container of tomatillo salsa verde to pour on top of every bite as I eat it. It's like $14 because it's enormous but worth every penny.

💯🔥💯🔥

At my local mex joint I get the giant burrito with steak, so much loving protein. I don't get there as often as I'd like because my wife isn't a fan and she is a horrible person.

This morning in the gym I saw a new person doing shrugs with 65# DBs. He was doing a little bunny hop each rep to get those heavy things up there.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

I have too many muscles what do I do :confused:

This is a real problem if you wear a wetsuit sometimes and don't want to have to get one custom made. Off the rack don't really account for big guns in proportion to a non-fat waist.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

you're not supposed to keep your guns in your wet suit you dunce

Well I don't like to always wear the gun harness...

But for serial, it's difficult to pull wetsuits arms up when you've got bigger biceps/triceps, and only a 34 waist. Going a size higher means it's too baggy in the waist.

Scuba problems.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Isn't that true for most clothes in general? I wear a size 48 suit and they came with size 42 pants with the "athletic cut". Had to get them tailored down to a 34.

Generally, but wet suits are supposed to be generally skin-tight everywhere, and there's only so much give in that rubber. The problem is a little exaggerated, compared to regular clothes. I've had to return wet suits when they fit my chest and arms perfectly, but I was floating in the waist and thighs. Got smaller, and I just have to deal with the tight arms and chest for the waist and legs that fit properly.

I'm already boring myself with this conversation. Sorry.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Is there a reason to leg press instead of squat if you're not trying doing a bodybuilding competition?

I have a lot of nerve damage in my lower legs (ankles) and basically can not balance well enough to do a proper squat. I like the sled.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dilber posted:

Leg Press can still help you get stronger and nicer legs.

Yeah, I love free weights, but machines can be great too. It's not all or nothing.

My workout is about 75% free weights, 25% machines. Feels good.

Maybe 80/20.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Yah definitely if you have an injury or something.

Just seems if there's nothing really wrong with you just do the squat.

Zero nerve conduction at my ankles, and my poor calves are atrophied. Looks stupid. :(

But I don't care. I still lift more than most of them.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

You could cut your legs off and look like that badass dude with prosthesis.

I saw that pic and wondered how the gently caress he works his thighs with nothing past that joint... Whatever he does could possibly help me.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't visualize any way to work my calves when I can only wiggle my foot at the ankle a little, and my toes not at all.

So I do the squat sled, and swim on the off days.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have the thighs and rear end of a much younger man. FYI.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

What's his name?

ha HA!

I knew I set that one up.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Like, live ocean sponges? That's cruel.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

Did bench press again after a break of 3ish months due to various pains, 6x10x137lbs. Feeling sore. :coolfish:

Trying to envision how to put 137 on a bar.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Word.

Wasn't judging.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of "everything hurts, all the time, after 30" discussion...

Currently in my late 40's, have been lifting on and off all of my life. Got back into a regular routine a few years ago when I noticed that my metabolism was slowing down, and everything was going to poo poo.

What I learned at 44 was that my muscles are still strong... my problem is all that connective tissue. I'm always nursing a joint ache here, a ligament sprain there. Currently for the last week my left shoulder is twingy when I bench, but feels pretty good when I do shoulder extensions, or am swimming laps. So, I'll baby that shoulder for a while... just lift maintenance weight, not push super hard. But in the past I've babied left wrist tendinitis, right shoulder twinges, whatever, and they get better.

Just got to pay attention to those little aches, before they become damaged big aches.

But even with all the little aches having conversations with me, the increasing difficulty keeping the flab off, and the fact I'm way loving older than the average in my gym, I still outlift most of those whippersnappers. So keep going, don't overdo it, and you can be a crazy old man like me, someday.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
New guy in the gym this morning. Not a lot of people, so after he used the bench press and left a couple 35s on the bar, I started watching him behind me in the mirror while I did dumbell work.

Lots of phone time between sets. 1-2 sets per station.

Left 35s on the bench.

Left 25s on the incline bench.

Left 25s on a random straight bar.

Left 10s and 5s on the curling bar.

Eventually I asked him if he was done with the bench, and then told him I'd put these weights away for him. As a hint.

He left soon after, his trail of unracked weights easily followed, like a tale of shame and poor upbringing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can confirm, about 60% of my Tinder hits are nurses, God bless them.

For content, the best part of lifting is that I spend a few hours a week in a wetsuit in front of crowds, and I like catching the soccer moms checking me out, while they hold their kids' hands. :-D

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bomb posted:

Dumbbell Presses are my go-to in this situation, seems like most normies only do bench, dumbbell curls, and cable pulldowns??

I like doing shoulder work, raises side, front, and seated rows. I grew up watching the Rocky movies with all of them having that massive, defined, shoulder ball of muscle... so in my mind, that's what I should strive for.

Silly, probably.

But also the bench, core work, pulldowns, etc. My workouts are a little over 90 minutes.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like your shirt.

Legit.

That isn't a come-on.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know what Henry Cavil was benching when he made Man of Steel? Dude had mass.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

That’s awesome.

The biggest issue my gym has it people mismatching the weights when they put them back lol.

People at your gym put the weights back? Heaven.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

david carmichael posted:

I decided id go swimming then try out the sauna. There was only one other person there, an old guy. I hop in the pool, and swim one length. On my way back he slowly ambles into my lane with his swim trunks around his ankles. I immediately leave. This is what i get for eveb considering the sauna

I swim a few miles a week and the loving elderly are the bane of my pool time. I call them "The Floating Dead."

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Warning: boring swim story follows.

I don't count laps when I'm in the pool, there's no way I can keep them straight once I zone out. So instead I just swim for a set amount of time, gauged by a big lap-clock on the wall I can see from the pool. I only swim two days a week to balance 3 days a week in the gym, because having good cardio and endurance doesn't hurt with the ladies, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, for years now when I swim a full hour, my Garmin swim-watch says I did about 1.75 miles. I could push hard and drown myself and do 1.8 miles in an hour... but meh. I'm not actually training for a race, I'm just keeping my poo poo tight and doing my best to swim longer and harder than the old people in the other lanes (I'm 48, I'm allowed to say old people) to make them feel bad about themselves and then they get frustrated and quit and then the lanes aren't as crowded. I'm playing the long game. But yeah.... I can do a full hour, no stops, and feel good and not be breathing hard when I stop.

But today for the hell of it I decided I wanted to do two full miles, so I tacked an arbitrary 20 minutes on to my lapping. At 60 minutes I did my flip turn and kept going, and felt great. All cocky and poo poo.

At 65 minutes my body realized I wasn't stopping as usual, and started to question my brain in the form of, "Hey, this doesn't feel right."

At 70 minutes I was feeling fatigue I haven't felt in a long time. Heavy arms, mostly.

At 75 minutes my limbs were no longer working as a team. I was awkward and clunky.

So stopping at 80 minutes felt pretty good. I still wasn't breathing hard, but my body is trained to stop at 60 minutes. Was funny to trick it a little bit.

Swam 2.16 miles.

Now I'm kind of curious how many yards I could do in two full hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Omnikin posted:

There are times when I feel like being lazy and using 25s instead of shuffling around extra 45s and 10s and poo poo

Like this morning I was benching and was going to work at 235lbs- I did warmups at 135 and 185 and then almost just put another set of 25s on instead of stripping them down & adding other weights. I didn't because I thought having two plates+ looked better for anyone who happened to look at me

I am guilty of the exact same thing. Adding weight, just easier to put on another couple 25s after I do 185, instead of taking off the existing 25s and putting on a 45 and a 5.

edit - I think I just rephrased the exact thing you just said.