Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So, after the 6 seasons that dumb Portlandia show has been running, the feminist bookstore they parody has randomly decided they're not OK with being made fun of, despite being perfectly OK with it for years. However, in the fashion you would expect of a location with the description "a feminist indie bookstore in a gentrifying neighborhood of Portland," they're basically living out a sketch from the show:

http://www.avclub.com/article/portlandias-feminist-bookstore-says-gently caress-portlandi-243359

quote:

In Other Words issued a lengthy statement on its website explaining that it’s severed ties with the show. And it also released a far more succinct one, via a sign that first appeared in its window this past spring: “gently caress Portlandia.”

That sign accuses the comedy—in which Armisen and Brownstein portray the storeowners as perpetually offended, thoroughly humorless firebrands—of various unforgivable transgressions, among them “Transmisogyny – Racism – Gentrification – Queer Antagonism – Devaluation of Feminist Discourse.” Attempts by the Willamette Week seeking elaboration were answered first with demands that the paper promote its online fundraising campaign. After the Week declined, it garnered this similarly combative response:

“After some consideration and research we’ve decided to officially tell the Willamette Weekly [sic] to go gently caress themselves. Your paper has absolutely zero journalistic professionalism and you are scummy rape apologists. Thanks for the opportunity tho! Have a great night.”

"we will only take advantage of a public platform to air our grievances if you also give us free ad space for our GoFundMe. No? Well, you guys are scummy rape apologists and your newspaper (that we would have been happy to talk to if you had given us even more free promotion) is garbage."

quote:

And while the show has obviously boosted In Other Words’ profile, and helped bring national attention to previous fundraisers held to spare it from bankruptcy, that fame hasn’t exactly translated to profits. “Tourists and fans of the show come to our door to stand outside, take selfies, and then leave,” the statement reads. “The vast majority of them don’t come inside.”

Film at 11: people who think Portlandia is a funny show generally don't really care about books on feminist theory. Odds are pretty high that if they actually came into the store the complaint would just change to "tourists and fans of the show come in our store and don't respect the safe space rules we have in place!!!

quote:

You could also question the fact that In Other Words seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about its being spoofed for six years, only to very recently decide that these spoofs have somehow “only become more offensive” as the seasons wore on. You might even raise an eyebrow at the post’s conclusion blaming Portlandia’s “popularity and insipid humor” for the city’s gentrification—especially coming from a feminist, white-owned bookstore that, however progressive and well-intentioned, moved into its cheaper, historically black neighborhood.

I love the gentrification argument when it's made by gigantic hipsters who have already co-opted poor neighborhoods. Even better is the idea that rich white people are moving to Portland because of a TV show that makes fun of how annoying people in Portland are

I eagerly await the season 7 sketch where they make fun of this entire situation, and the angry backlash that will inevitably follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

So this show brings in tons of tourist to this shop but these broads are too dumb to lure them inside? Talk about an epic business fail.

I get the feeling that Portlandia's depiction of the owners as completely humorless, holier-than-thou snarks hits a lot closer to home than the real owners would like to admit

the ol pump-n-bump posted:

The feminist movement was started by the rockafellers to get the woman out of the house and into a taxable position, while giving the state the abiity to subvert their kids minds 8 hours a day....at the same time, increasing inflation and counter culture ideas of a cohesive family being undesirable, has lead to a total destruction of the american family

thanks feminism, have fun being sluts protesting oil with your titties out I guess

d...dare?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the ol pump-n-bump posted:

Those feminists want the D but theyve been mind controlled into thinking scissoring and tori amos are what they want....I dont get what you arent understanding

Ok first I thought you were dare but now I'm pretty sure you're jon pop

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pretty much.

I can understand the idea of wanting to make a space comfortable for everyone, but this seems a bit excessive

quote:

In Other Words supports the safety of our staff, volunteers, and patrons. By entering In Other Words and/or participating in our events, discussions, and activities (both on the physical space and online), you agree to abide by the following guidelines:

-Cishetero-patriarchy exists, white supremacy exists, ableism exists, racism exists, colonialism never ended, capitalism is bad. This is not a space where we argue about the basics of the situation. We learn and grow together, we do not gaslight each other and we do not minimize or deny experiences with oppression.
-Oppressive, abusive, or reactionary language and behavior of any kind will be interrupted and challenged in all IOW spaces and work.
-Respect, embrace, and defend the identities and complexities of all people and all life.
-Do not tolerate threats – in any form – to the safety of any member of our organization or any part of the communities In Other Words is accountable to. If you see it, interrupt it. If it’s not safe to interrupt, tell someone as soon as you can.
-Respect the boundaries, consent, and emotional and bodily autonomy of all persons and ask about them – do not assume to know them. Unequivocally believe and fight for survivors of rape, trauma, and abuse.
-Be accountable. If you are called out for oppressive words or actions listen and then immediately change your behavior. What you meant is less important than what you do after you’ve hurt someone. Own your actions and own your poo poo.
-The collective volunteers and staff at In Other Words are empowered to enforce these rules. We reserve the right to ask any individual who cannot abide by our Safer Space Policy to leave the physical or online space.

Seems a bit extreme for a small bookshop IMO. I get the feeling that as a cishet male I would instantly be judged by every single person in that shop the second I walked in.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's Up With The Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia Lately Oh This Is What Is Up With Them Okay Guys Anyway If You Click This Article There Are Pictures Of Bats And Bunnies

I can't find these pictures of bats and bunnies send help

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seriously tho where are these bats and bunnies

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah yes, the old "George Carlin agreed with whatever I think about anything" argument.

George Carlin was also the conductor on Thomas the Tank Engine

really makes you think

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of the cishet scum!

how did you guess the title of my next feminist flash mob gathering

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

This thread is now for discussing the following blog: http://bats-and-bunnies.blogspot.com/

quote:

As you may have noticed, a while ago I have removed all the posts on this blog. I just wasn't comfortable with it anymore.

:(

quote:

I have set up a new blog / website focused on my asian ball jointed doll photography. You can find it at https://www.velvetbat.nl. Please follow that new page. :)

:hellyeah:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FAU can we change the thread topic to asian ball jointed doll photography pls

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

an angry bookstore rampaging around Portland and smashing up Subway franchises.

don't kinkshame pls

alternate response: I am genuinely amazed that the shining city of Portland would tolerate scumfuck franchise stores. Do they even slaughter their own livestock for sandwich meats?!?!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yay internet lets target a feminist bookstore out of all the problems with gentrification lets target random individuals and send death threats to them gooo team!!!!

Where in this thread has an individual been named except for the mayor of Portland and Kyle McLaughlan? Where has a death threat or any sort of contact with the bookstore been mentioned?

nice meltdown friendo

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I have heard from at least half a dozen people that they moved to Portland because of Portlandia

Congrats on knowing at least half a dozen idiots

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Smythe posted:

aubrey plaza in that vid is also FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:agreed:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yay internet lets target a feminist bookstore out of all the problems with gentrification lets target random individuals and send death threats to them gooo team!!!!

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat gay. And not in a homophobic way, just so very gay. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning gay.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat friend of the family. And not in a racist way, just so very friend of the family. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning friend of the family.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:laffo:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

A stone age representation of the creative and destructive nature of womanhood but it's the feminist bookstore from Portlandia and dozens of cave people live in awe of it.

A regular-seeming bookstore but every book contains the soul of a fallen feminist and they all scream "SMASH THE PATRIARCHY" when you open one of the books

Also there's a small VHS section in the back but despite the slipcase every tape is a copy of Zardoz

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

loquacius posted:

You arrive home from a day of merry objectifying and microagressing to find that your house is gone. In its place is the feminist bookstore from Portlandia. The building is silent and inanimate as usual, but in the pit of your stomach you can feel a palpable sense of dread and rage emanating from its very foundation. Through the fogged windows you can perceive no details other than a dim red glow. As you approach warily, a faint rumbling can be heard from deep below the earth. Your instincts are shouting at you to flee, to run away and never stop, but you are inexplicably compelled to walk up what was once your front path, as the rumbling increases in volume and pitch. You reach for the doorknob, your hand shaking as violently as the incensed earth. Your key does not fit, but the door opens anyway. It seems almost as though gravity has rotated 90 degrees, and you fall through the doorway, there is no other word for it. Behind you, the door creaks slightly as it swings smoothly shut.

can I make a 2d6 saving roll for my "well, actually" trait

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Hit up Den of Angels for all your Asian BJD related questions and concerns.

jesus loving christ I rescind my request

I feel like I need to show that image to someone else within 24 hours or it will come through the screen and bite my face off

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kikkelivelho posted:

Respect my bodily autonomy. Whatever that is.

I think that means you can't get mad if I fart loudly, that's just my bodily autonomy man

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

His High Exaltedness, the great Jabba the Hutt, has decreed that you are to be terminated immediately... You will therefore be taken to Northeast Portland and cast into the gentrified black neighborhood, the nesting place of the all-powerful Angry Feminist Bookstore... In its belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm sorry I forgot Hutts were hermaphrodites, anybody know the preferred pronoun for Hutts

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

loquacius posted:

Too late, Jabba's bodily autonomy is already violated. It's basically ruined now. Jabba will never have bodily autonomy again.

I don't think he ever did, isn't that why he has that little monkey thing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My uncle works for Disney and he told me some new Star Wars canon info: when Vader threw the Emperor down that big shaft, at the bottom of it was an angry feminist bookstore, and after having spent 30 years in its clutches, Palpatine emerges as Snoke

the dent in Snoke's forehead is from where they removed the part of the brain responsible for misogyny

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've never played Destiny but it seems like a running theme for the levels is "ancient ruins of 20th-century human buildings, but now they're filled with monsters and ghoulies" so I eagerly await the Angry Feminist Bookstore raid

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rumor has it that there is, buried in a drawer somewhere in the FBI Archives, a floppy disk containing the Doom map of Columbine High that the shooters made beforehand. Hidden on the disk and accessible only through an obscure, long-dead flavor of Linux, embedded in several nested sets of sequential .rar files, is a file called ang_fem_bk.wad.

Not a soul remains alive today that can truly claim to have loaded this file into zDoom.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I thought that losing bodily autonomy means you can't stop you are self from making GBS threads even when you don't want to.

It is, and you're not allowed to make fun of anyone that shits their pants due to this reason

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Oh I didnt read the thread, I dont mean you guys you are probably hateful alt-right gbs goons chill, but internet general

Ok well then that makes you look like an even bigger rear end because now you're the guy who ran into a thread without even reading it jabbering about internet justice or whatever :thumbsup:

1/5, weak-rear end gimmick

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Humorless assholes?

Someone get these girls an account!

no stop it's bad enough we have SMG in CD

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I pay good money to an older lady in leather to deprive me of my bodily autonomy at least once a week. I don't see what their problem is.

so does she always start with the buttplug or what

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

The feminist bookstore from Portland is angry. The clouds gather. The storm is coming.

but but we've been sacrificing cishet virgins to the delivery entrance out back once a month just like we're supposed to, what did we do wrong?!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MiracleWhale posted:

Gay Shame SF, an intersectional political action group which is every bit as sane and reasonable as its name suggests, had a stenciling campaign where they spray painted "DIY business is still gentrification" on the sidewalk in front of hip local businesses in the mission neighborhood of SF. hilariously they spray painted this message in front of Modern Times Bookstore which is not only a local DIY business that has been there since the 70s, but is also the place where Gay Shame SF meets, infuriating the owners to the point where they almost got forbidden from returning there.

http://www.mattildabernsteinsycamore.com/maximum/maximum_may2006.html

from the link:

quote:

It would be great if Gay Shame could conceive of a "solution"for gentrification, but we don't pretend to have the answers. In this case we were instigating a first step: challenging DIY business owners and patrons to acknowledge their role in gentrification.

I like how the author was self-aware enough to commit that sentence to paper, but not self-aware enough to understand how loving retarded the statement he made was

"DIY business is still gentrification!"
"OK, thank you for letting us know, what should we do?"
"uhhh?"

e: holy poo poo the amount of self-fellating in that article is incredible

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 30, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is what it is. It is who it is. IT WILL BE WHAT IT WILL BE.

Have you been bingeing out on Welcome to Night Vale or what (I'm not complaining)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Guy hearing extremely famous bible quote: Is that from Night Vale.

Me: *praying silently for America*

Guy seeing multiple posts that ascribe Lovecraftian traits to a small building: Is that from Night Vale?

Me: *wondering what being unfamiliar with bible quotes has to do with being American*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skeevy achievements posted:

strangely enough the proposed solution is always the same:

"give us money/power to atone for your sins"

not like the priesthood at all, no sir

I mean at least the guy is honest about "we literally have no solution"

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a Christian Nation, and if you ever went to church you might know that. But you don't go to church, do you? You just go to the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

Hey I go to synagogue once every few years! I just learned the bible in the One True Godly Language :smug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Last night, there was no 15-foot tall, two-foot thick rectangle made of blue slate towering over the faded grass and weakened tulip garden in front of City Hall. But now, there is. A feminist book store, with indifferent geometry and a long, sharp shadow cast by the low morning sun. It is an ominous construction, channeling ancient powers and long-dead gods. Perhaps, it is even connected to our primordial extra-terrestrial ancestry. And now, just a few days before Christmas, this looming, dark store shows up mysteriously in the night, casting scornful shadows across both our dreams and our primitive understanding of the world.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I am genuinely curious as to how the people working that store would react to a guy walking into the store by himself.

I'd like to think they'd be super friendly and pretty jazzed that a guy was genuinely interested in learning about feminism and how to contribute to gender equality from the other side of the fence, but history (and Tumblr) tells me that would not be the case.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, your synagogue taught in English?

just loving lol if you didn't learn the bible in Neo-Assyrian Aramaic

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

They'd be like most portlanders. Asking if you need help then ignoring you for the next 45 minutes.

You mean I wouldn't be committing a microaggression by inserting my cishet self into a feminist safe space? That's a relief

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kikkelivelho posted:

My anger grows with each white cis male that enters me.

o gently caress the angry feminist bookstore has chosen an avatar

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Your existence is a microaggression

rude :mad:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's pretty telling how much inventory overlap there is between New Age stores and headshops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Gbs hates women

ah yes, the old "if you disagree with anything a 'feminist' does you hate women, regardless of if it is even tangentially related to feminism" argument, I'm amazed we got 8 pages in before it popped up

• Locked thread