Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Ill Peripheral posted:

consider this I one saw a gif like 16 yrs ago of this woman waffling in high heels on this guy's dick and balls and I'm pretty sure my OS would respond differently to that input than that guy's ufm?

Well yeah, fetishes are heavily dependent on upbringing. Doesn't mean you have control over it

I gave the Alzheimer's example specifically because the very nature of the disease makes the way people react more or less independent of upbringing, thus more starkly demonstrating the robotic nature of mankind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
poo poo farted in my jean shorts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a bone to pick posted:

Maybe you should shouldn't hold a grudge against all men because of some boy in middle school, also if that's the worst thing that's happened to you then I am jealous because that's a pretty good life.

That was bait to see who would jump at it despite the earlier post abou attempted kidnapping lol

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The cure to the diseases of obesity and addiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FDA_qlFBwI

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

GORDON posted:

The cure to the diseases of obesity and addiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FDA_qlFBwI

Yeah, addiction is basically equivalent to any other disease that's curable (in this case with therapy) if it's caught early, but more and more difficult to cure the longer it goes untreated. Like cancer

EDIT: loving lol at this video, I bet you tell people suffering from depression to just "be happy." This is exactly the kinda poo poo that festers when people believe in free will

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 2, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Izzhov posted:

Yeah realtalk the reason so many people think addiction is "voluntary" is bc of one of the biggest misconceptions in human history: the belief that free will exists. We are all controlled by physics, the idea that we make decisions of our own accord is an illusion

The reason so many people think addiction is voluntary is because the person still chose to use that drug in the first place.

I don't agree with that viewpoint, but it's a valid viewpoint to stand by.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

rotinaj posted:

The reason so many people think addiction is voluntary is because the person still chose to use that drug in the first place.

I don't agree with that viewpoint, but it's a valid viewpoint to stand by.

People don't choose anything, ever. That's the whole point of the post you quoted

Regardless of that stuff, people don't always have a good education

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Izzhov posted:

Consider this: there has never, in all of recorded history, been an instance where an Alzheimer's patient who copped to having a memory problem. Literally every one, when you point out that you just told them something they forgot, either evade, don't respond, or angrily shrug it off.

It's almost like humans are nothing more than biological OS's who all respond basically the same way to the same stimuli

That's not always true by any means but it is fairly common, because Alzheimer's is a disorder of memory encoding. They never make the memory so they can't possibly even try to retrieve it and notice their failure. Vascular dementia or Parkinson's dementia both look a lot like Alzheimer's but the memory error is in retrieval. They are aware of their failure to recall memories and can often retrieve if given sufficient cues and hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7GmolHTd4

• Locked thread