Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Antti posted:

Unfortunately Clinton's campaign itself has given a hand to the GOP in uncoupling itself from Trump and the media and the voters are too enthralled by the unravelling disaster to remember that one of the major parties in the country has committed massive electoral and moral malpractice by nominating an unprepared and unfit person.

This is the part I want to see emphasized as much as possible through November and maybe even 2018 midterms at that. The GOP members themselves have been dodging all the Trump questions by pretending they don't watch debates, use phones, read newspapers, or tweet online and then run away as fast as they can. There should be a breaking point where this cowardice should be called out as journalists get annoyed by how the hoops they have to jump through in order to get their precious access is not worth the nothingburgers they're getting from these guys, but since probing the issue in any meaningful way would threaten the "both sides are equally valid/serious/responsible/terrible" myth, there is very little chance of a reckoning happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

I forgot the debate and just logged in now, can I get a quick recap?

Kaine made it all about Trump and whiffed at the chance to nail the GOP on having bad ideas even without Trump. Pence denied everything Trump has ever said.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Kaine came in expecting to pin Pence down to Trump's statements, as a symbolic "Pence is generic Republican and I demand he defend Trump on behalf of his party" gesture.

This was Kaine's mistake. He should have just gone after Pence's own horrible record and statements, Trump already blasts himself enough.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Quorum posted:

I dunno. I think someone upthread made the point that more time this election spends being about Trump, the happier the Democrats should be. Trying to nail all Republicans to Trump doesn't really work, as a) a lot of people identify as Republicans who would feel attacked by this, and b) the electorate has the memory of a goldfish with Alzheimers and by next election, where it'll actually matter and be possible to hit Republicans hard on being like Trump, everyone will have forgotten what happened this election anyway.

I am thinking more about the after-Trump GOP. Allowing them to be able to distance themselves from him in any way is going to let them off the hook like they have with Bush. The questions about ISIS should have included Bush's actions in Iraq contributing to their rise, but since he's in the Memory Hole™, it's now Obama's fault for the SOFA he wasn't even president during.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

On the plus side: Pence's Putin-bashing has probably earned him a dose of polonium-210 in his sushi.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Good god, I just saw a CNN promo for the 2nd presidential debate and it was shot, edited, and narrated 100% like a heavyweight boxing title fight.

It's like that almost every time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

There is no moderator that can or will persuade the candidates to stop talking if they want to talk, so I won't dock Quijano for that. However, her slate of topics was completely imbalanced (ignoring tons of domestic issues while wasting a huge amount of time on foreign policy boogeymanning) and her questions often leading (what the hell was with the cop question? and the North Korea question?).

The economic questions were also pretty bad, couched in the idea that government should be more worried about DEBT than anything. She even quoted a right-wing anti-tax group for the basis of said question. It was pretty bad.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

This is an absolutely opportune time for the DNC to start really tying the rest of the GOP to the Trumptanic since they have consistently refused to distance themselves time and time again. Donald's very existence as their candidate should be cement shoes for their down ticket races, but hasn't been so far.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I am watching this debate in the hopes that it'll turn out to have been the exact turning point where the GOP was ultimately destroyed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

When she and Giuliani were on MSNBC, Rachel couldn't hold in her laughter at how insane they were. Although honestly they were more maddeningly horrible than funny.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Didn't Hillary's state department look into asking Assange be arrested for the leaks and come to the conclusion that legally, as they were technically a journalistic organization and he was a foreign national anyway, their hands were tied? Why does he have such an enormous bug up his butt about her personally?

From the sound of things, Assange has problems with women, much like Trump. The story about him sitting at the foot of a bed to wake up a woman he's trying to convince to sign the creepy NDA really makes me think his sexual escapades in Sweden are only the tip of the iceberg.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Antti posted:

This phenomenon where outlier polls magically start following the consensus is, for the record, called 'herding.'

I actually doubt LAT/USC will herd because while it has some issues with sampling and weighting, they seem to have too much integrity and transparency to herd.

How can one distinguish herding from the polling realities swinging so much that baked-in bias cannot protect the favored side anymore?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The fact that we're losing Harry Reid and gaining this chucklefuck as majority leader is the worst part.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sanders acting as a counterweight on the left to Schumer's dumb rear end in the senate is literally the best thing for progressives at this point regardless of Hillary winning.

I'm not sure Schumer is going to let that happen without an obnoxious fight, the dude's not going to allow Sanders to derail the power he feels entitled to now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know this is a reference to Bush's attacks on Kerry's war service but I never fully understood what the term "swift boating" means. Can someone explain?

IIRC, it's used to denote a particularly egregious, intellectually dishonest attack on an opponent's character that is something of which the attacker's side is far more guilty. Kerry served in Vietnam, Bush never did.

Republicans attacking Hillary over emails while pretending the Bush administration didn't delete thousands of their own. Debt scolds putting 200-2008 into the Memory Hole and then scream about Obama's stimulus, etc.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

GOP is kicking the poo poo out of democrats in the governor's mansions too so it's really dumb to put GOP state-level dominance down just to gerrymandering

in other news, everyone can relax now, the emails are officially a non-issue

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/792569285927399424

But didn't it just come out that he had no idea what was in them when he went off and wrote the letter anyway, in spite of FBI protocol and advisement from the DoJ?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, that was known by this time last night.

True, I guess I mean in terms of how quickly he's been proven wrong. He's a master of being contrary to reality.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

duz posted:

Yeah, the best way to make sure you can't force someone to vote the way you want them to is to make sure they're the one that's punished.

Employers wield disproportionate power in our society and legal system; the burden of proof that your firing is retaliation is difficult, especially if you find yourself without income to hire an attorney. Then there's at-will employment and binding arbitration clauses, so the best way to make sure this ends up not being an issue is to make sure there is no incentive for people to enable the vote-monitoring via mobile phone photos.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Night10194 posted:

So, basically, from what we've learned Clinton has had to contend with a foreign intelligence agency and Stone just basically admitted he was colluding with Wikileaks, who was distributing their information, and the FBI director both pulled something insane, unprecedented, and hostile to her at a critical moment after already breaking with precedent to editorialize while exonerating her in July AND he tried to have his agents just get all into the Clinton Foundation because of the AP hitpiece for funsies.

You know, gently caress the fact that the Trump campaign is a dumpster fire: Having to deal with all this poo poo seems like a big reason she wouldn't be up double digits.

I missed the memo on Stone admitting collusion with Wikileaks, did that just happen?

This whole election feels like a fever before it finally breaks, the hysteria around electing the first woman has just made the regressive parts of US society pull out all the stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Anybody using the Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich dichotomy for this election should not be taken seriously at this point. Hillary Clinton has plenty of negatives, none of which are unusual for most American politicians; but saying that she's equally as terrible as anybody the GOP was going to put forth (let alone Donald) is reaching heavily for a "pox on both houses" equivalency which misses any of the very thought and nuance they supposedly want from their idealized, conceptual candidate that will never exist.

Criticism of Clinton is valid, but these purity tests asked of people who clearly already understand her faults is pointless.

• Locked thread