Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Can't wait for Trump to cite the media's response to this as proof of bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Would that make sense? This tweet is quite clearly from her hard working campaign staff. Literally no one had any doubts that Trumps nightly tweets where personally written by him.

Right, this is why I can't wait for it.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I will say this about Gamergate. It really served as a wake up call for me on this front.

Remember the good old days when Gamer culture was just something Microsoft made up to sell Mountain Dew?

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't think he's going to come back from this week. Not because people will finally see the light and realize en masse that Trump is an idiot, but because there's two more debates coming up soon and Trump can't wait out the bad press anymore like he did in September.

This isn't really on par with the Khan meltdown yet but:
1) It's not over yet and these things seem to snowball
2) There are fewer undecideds left for Trump to win over at this point

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

I love the Freudian symbolism here. Trump wants us all to watch him jerk off, gets emasculated, blames his symbolic dick for failing him.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Chelb posted:

im very salty about the proper definition of a scientific model uspol i will have you all know

It was really more of a prophecy tbh

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
So, uh, anyone catch the SNL open?

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's perfectly doable. I don't think it could be done without those involved getting caught, though. You'd need a large conspiracy and in a large conspiracy someone would gently caress up and/or squeal.

They can post the exploit online, encourage lone wolf behavior. Anyone who squeals just has a link to an anonymous website.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
There are voter suppression attempts every 4 years and nobody calls for a new election. People aren't going to overturn two centuries of electoral precedent over a couple of jailed 19-year-olds and a screenshot of a 4chan thread.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Filing the C&D now seems like more of a defensive maneuver, gives Clinton and Kaine and surrogates one more thing to pull out in debates if someone goes after Clinton Foundation.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Doubt it. Drudge hasn't been relevant for almost 20 years now. Nobody would go to him to break any story of consequence.

"Accuse opponent of having a secret black baby" has been in the Republican playbook forever. Rove did it to McCain.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
The Q polls all go back to 9/27 so they haven't fully factored in Trump's post-debate trainwreck yet. The magnitude of the Florida swing might be a sign that the Cuba embargo violation story actually has legs.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Dork457 posted:

In terms of 538's model, shouldn't whichever candidate is leading continue to widen their chances as it gets closer to election day. Given that there are less and less chances for major shakeups to shift the likely outcome of the election? Or is it really "anything can happen."

This is what the Nowcast is for, so you can see how it would play out if the election were held tomorrow.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Even on the Nowcast the top six weighted polls don't include any data collected after 9/29. Trump's 3 AM tweetstorm and the tax revelations have yet to be factored in anywhere.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It could also really hurt him as some of the people holding their noses are doing it on the assumption Pence is sane/normal.

I think a significant percent of evangelicals are convinced that God is going to smite Trump in early February and hand the presidency to Pence.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Jorge Luis Borges posted:

I timidly point out this monstrousness to my interlocutor. He laughs at my antiquated scruples and raises Jesuitical or Nietzschean arguments: the end justifies the means, necessity knows no law, there is no law other than the will of the strongest, the Reich is strong, the air forces of the Reich have destroyed Coventry, etc. I mumble that I am resigned to passing from the morality of Jesus to that of Zarathustra or the Black Ant but that our rapid conversion then prohibits us from pitying Germany for the injustice it suffered in 1919. On that date which he does not want to forget, England and France were strong; there is no law other than the will of the strongest; therefore, those calumnied nations acted correctly in wanting to ruin Germany, and one cannot condemn them for anything other than having been indecisive (and even culpably merciful) in the execution of that plan. Disdaining these dry abstractions, my interlocutor begins or outlines a panegyric to Hitler: that providential man whose indefatigable discourses preach the extinction of all charlatans and demagogues, and whose incendiary bombs, unmitigated by verbose declarations of war, announce from the firmament the ruin of rapacious imperialism. Afterward, immediately afterward, a second wonder occurs. It is of a moral nature and almost unbelievable.

I always discover that my interlocutor idolizes Hitler, not in spite of the high-altitude bombs and the rumbling invasions, the machine guns, the accusations and lies, but because of those acts and instruments. He is delighted by evil and atrocity. The triumph of Germany does not matter to him,; he wants the humiliation of England and a satisfying burning of London. He admires Hitler as he once admired his precursors in the criminal underworld of Chicago. The discussion becomes impossible because the offenses I ascribe to Hitler are, for him, wonders and virtues. The apologists of Amigas, Ramirez, Quiroga, Rosas, or Urquiza pardon or gloss over their crimes; the defender of Hitler derives a special pleasure from them. The Hitlerist is always a spiteful man, and a secret and sometimes public worshiper of criminal "vivacity" and cruelty. He is, thanks to a poverty of imagination, a man who believes that the future cannot be different from the present, and that Germany, till now victorious, cannot lose. He is the cunning man who longs to be on the winning side.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Ugggghhhh Chris Matthews just said "erogenous zones" :gonk:

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

loving WHY?!

He was talking about Kaine hitting all the "erogenous zones" of the Democratic party - minorities, abortion rights, etc.

So yeah even grosser than you'd think.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Night10194 posted:

A rated pollster, too. Probably an outlier, but hilarious.

Teehee... "Fairleigh Dickinson"

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
I wish these voter registration numbers came with 2012 stats to compare against, kind of hard to tell how much of this is Cheeto Benito fail and how much is just the usual Democrat ground game edge.

EDIT: Also drat, that is 1/40 of the population of Florida. They grew the registered voter pool by 4 percent.

Sensible Thursday fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 7, 2016

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
So uh we can call this now, right? :fork:

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So Trump is on audio tape literally describing sexual assault.

Bragging about it.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

RevKrule posted:

So what's gonna happen in 2020 when Hillary runs against someone who (probably) isn't just daily slam dunks? This is what keeps me up at night at this point.

We hope changing demographics are enough to make up for it and pray that Obama Hari Seldoned up the economy enough to get us through four years of Republican rule.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
At this point is there any way the Republicans can legally ditch Trump without his cooperation?

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So it's too late for the GOP to replace Trump on the ballot, even if he drops out, right? Right? :ohdear:

Right. He can promise to abdicate to Pence like in that one West Wing episode where John Goodman ran the country for a while but that still requires voters to trust him to follow through.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Meanwhile at /r/the_donald:

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
"This is bad boy talk. If anyone understands bad boy talk Hillary Clinton understands bad boy talk." - Michelle Bachmann on Hardball just now :psypop:

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Can we please just unban Arzy until the election?

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

porfiria posted:

Overall I'm not sure this particular bomb matters too much. It might; the language is pretty disgusting but ultimately it's pretty easy to dismiss as dirty boy bragging. Notice how he even self-deprecates at several points! The bigger question to me is how much the substance of a scandal (this is relatively small) matters versus the perception of one. Like, obviously no one rational (not an already hardcore insane Republican) actually thought Hillary was dying or anything on Sept 11. But the perception that her campaign was weak in some way seemed to actually hurt her.

You are a moron.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
I think it was technically something along the lines of "has the heart of a sex criminal" but yeah

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

berserker posted:

Hahahah oh I love it. With one month before the election? Their ONLY option is to stick with Trump or drop him and then still have Trump on the ballot. Either way they are hosed. It's glorious.

I think the only way this ends in a win for the GOP is if they have him killed and blame it on Hillary.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
I feel kind of bad for all of these journalists who thought they had THE October Surprise only to see it reduced to molehill compared to what dropped the next day.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

tecnocrat posted:

Don Lemon busting out the real talk. This is a historic night.

He sounds like he's leading a group therapy intervention for the Trump surrogate.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
WashPo reporter on MSNBC: "He is in a combative mood. He is not in a mood to step aside."

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

From a story I saw on The Hill...

Do these people - I've seen a number of Republicans tonight express the same sentiment - not realize that you don't get to change the nominee after absentee balloting has started and his name is already on all of the ballots?

It's theater to emphasize that they're denouncing him extra hard.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

Please don't associate the coolest turtle with McConnell.

Psst, Yertle was supposed to represent Hitler.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Did anybody post this in here yet?

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/784614267383386112

Pretty good series of tweets with quotes/video of how what he says lines up with typical behavior of abusers. (have to click through to see them all)

College intro psych classes are going to get so much mileage out of this campaign next year.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If you told me Paul Ryan was talking to hitmen I would A) be unsurprise and B) be fairly sympathetic.

If I were Donald Trump I would be buying a Geiger counter right about now.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

I actually wonder what the Secret Service protocol is for that situation.

Trump's SS guys must spend so much time drilling for the weirdest loving scenarios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Mister E posted:

Their first priority would be the safety of their charges so they'd dive in and rush Hillary and Donald off the stage and then the remainder of both sides would probably stand off looking at each other really confused.

So standard barfight protocol, makes sense.

• Locked thread