Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Oh so Trump will show up to the debate with more racism somehow and also a lovely mustache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Like, I keep thinking Trump will run out of foot to shoot, but he just keeps going.

Turns out his hands might be tiny, but his feet are yuuuge

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The basement dweller thing would've caught on already if it had any real traction, I think. Although it'll be hard for anything to take right now considering that Trump is still melting down.

And also nothing she said was that objectionable, she just should've chosen her words better. Only thing that gave me pause was her waxing on the impossibility of having socialized health care/higher education given that she's been pitching tuitionless college a lot lately, but it was back in February so it could be possible she's been swayed.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Am I dreaming?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guess you could say its.... Great Days

I'm looking forward to his next BREAK DOWN BREAK DOWN

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

What a low-energy comeback. Sad!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

canepazzo posted:

Re: wikileaks - the way I see it (other than they've done this 4-5 times already), if you really had a bombshell you would not give advance warning. You'd keep it secret up to the reveal to maximise damage and minimise preparation time for the other side.

It's like those doomsday cults that predict the world will end on day x, then when that day comes and goes, predict day y, and repeat forever... oh.

Bingo. If Wikileaks had anything they'd play their cards like, well, NYT did, or how the Clinton campaign did with Alicia Machado. Assange is just addicted to attention.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Mr Interweb posted:

Giuliani kept babbling about how Trump had to take those tax deductions because if he didn't, then his investors would be able to sue him.

Is there any truth to this?

Not only were these personal taxes, not business, but Trump has no investors.

Also Giuliani is a clown and nothing he ever says is true.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
This is somehow significantly more nothing than Wikileaks' usual output of nothing.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cythereal posted:

And let's be honest: who hasn't wanted to drone Assange?

This is the main thing I think that makes it really weak. Maybe Assange thinks tons of Americans love him, but he's basically reviled by the vast majority of people who know who he is. And the only people who would actually believe Hillary was serious were already in the tank for Assange.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

This won't work, it can't work. Tim Kaine is just way too wholesome for anyone to hate. Even my dad, who is basically a GOP lifer who despises Hillary, likes Tim Kaine. Granted, it's because they're both Kansas City Royals fans, but still.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Pakled posted:

It's so weird, like, every Trump scandal is something that, in a normal election, would dominate the headlines for weeks, but here they're getting pushed out by new scandals in a couple days. Could you imagine if, in late September 2012, it had some out that Bain Capital had done business in Cuba while Romney was at the helm? There are just so many stories about Trump that would sink any other campaign, it's ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

I think the only reason it hasn't completely sunk his campaign is because of Hillary's low favorables/low-ish polling averages. We'll never see another Johnson/Goldwater as long as the US remains as polarized as it is, but if Trump had run against '08 Obama it'd probably get pretty close to Reagan/Mondale at least.

e: maybe not Reagan/Mondale. Reagan/Carter, maybe? Either way he'd get brutally stomped by someone who wasn't the target of every last ounce of hatred Republicans have for 20 years.

DICKS FOR DINNER fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 3, 2016

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

RevKrule posted:

Diamond Joe has weighed in about the PTSD comments and to say he's not pleased is an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0nZt1Rtps

Jesus gently caress this is incredible.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Endorph posted:

i thought it'd be a nothing that people would latch onto anyway.

Yeah I thought it'd be some more e-mails they already released/doxxing more DNC donors. Not literally just "BUY MY BOOK!"

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
a second av has hit the posters

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Antti posted:

Let's dispense with this notion that the Russian hacker selectively quoting and displaying hacked files doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Yeah I think if this had come about while the media was still in full-on horserace mode, no one would've bothered to research it at all before crowing about it proving corruption on air.

:laffo: that it backfired this hard though

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Not many, despite the Arzying found in this thread. When 40%+ of undecided voters say they don't know who either VP nominee is, I don't believe that most people will turn in for the full 90 minutes here to find out. It's not memorable like the first Presidential debate.

Also undecided voters run entirely on gut feeling, so while they might buy into Pence's calm demeanor, they also won't like him doing the smug chuckle thing because it's rude/bullying. All three of them who bothered to watch the debate will say, "gosh, I dunno, they both sounded so smart," "they had good points," "I just don't know..."

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

berserker posted:

I think Pence's laughing and head shaking is going to end up playing against him.

Yeah, worth noting that even though Biden/Ryan was an utter curbstomping that ruined Ryan's chances at the presidency, a lot of people didn't like the way Biden debated him. Him laughing off Ryan on a regular basis came across as condescending and lovely, even if it was justified. People really don't like smugness.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Can anyone tell me how Obama was doing against Romney around this time of year in the polls? Wasn't it basically what Hillary is now? If so that's good.

Obama had a much, much less significant lead. Like I think it was about +0.7% in the aggregate, while Hillary is like +3-4% in the aggregate.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Quorum posted:

For this reason, he can't look like he's reaching for the knife to cut Donald Trump loose from their tandem parachute, which is why he spent this whole debate saying nice things about Trump. But they were all nonspecific platitudes, because tying yourself to Trump's dumb policy positions is stupid. Instead, Pence spent the entire evening spewing warm, nice-feeling clouds of red meat from his humanoid mouth, such that to the base he will come off as That Reasonable, Authoritative Man. His bet here is that when Trump inevitably loses, he himself won't be caught up in the vortex of destruction, and will be able to rebuild his political career on the exposure he's gaining. I'm not sure if he's right or not, I guess we'll see!

Yeah I keep going back and forth on what happens to Pence after this. He's been a pretty big nothingburger all campaign, but the GOP will be looking for answers after Trump loses, especially if he loses bigly. The answer they'll probably settle on is "Trump was not a true conservative," and what happens to Pence in that case? He'll be the idiot who hitched his boat to the fake conservative orange man. At least Cruz has the plausible deniability of saying he hadn't necessarily endorsed Trump, just that he had stated an intent to vote for him.

Or maybe they'll both get steamrolled as the GOP decides their best chance is noted dumb motherfucker Tom Cotton.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Lightning Knight posted:

Pence would be a Democratic nightmare, but I'm not convinced he could swing his way through a Republican primary. He's not loud or obvious enough about his utter reprehensibility and his slick used-car salesman shtick won't work with the rabid base of the Republican Party demanding red meat.

I'm actually kind of curious, because I don't know anything about debating: is there a way to deal with someone who lies through their teeth completely stone-faced? Assuming the moderator has no interest in fact-checking, that is. I have to imagine there's some kind of strategy for it if you're expecting it, but that's not really based on anything.

But yeah, he's probably not loud enough about his bigotry to win the GOP primaries as they currently are - especially because I don't know if the electorate will be willing to accept the dog whistle genie being put back in the bottle. While he's fully and openly disgusting, for some reason, people don't remember him as "that RFRA motherfucker," it's always "Mike who?"

He's also just got such a disgusting, fake looking face and that probably won't win him any fans.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Crabtree posted:

Is there any likelihood that a Trump loss would negatively affect Pence by him ever being attached so thoroughly to this trainwreck? Of all the stars to fall in the conservative sky for this, I'd rank him right around Marco and ZK as people who deserve to watch their political career take a serious injury if not fatal one.

It might. Hard to tell now, but there's a few scenarios where it could torpedo his future career. On one hand, he might get the loser stink attached to him and forever be "that idiot dumb enough to run with Trump/not a true conservative." On the other, him throwing Trump under the bus might end up being "Trump lost because his own VP didn't have his back, gently caress him."

He may also get out of it scot free, but it's a risky gamble, especially with the way the GOP turns into a circular firing squad when they lose a presidential election.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

BiohazrD posted:

Oh man that "why do people hate hillary" thread is a treasure

using 'contempt' when they meant 'content' is what really makes your av for me.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Cruz looks so fuckin miserable that I have to imagine he's going to be ready to lead a GOP inquisition if Trump loses by a significant margin. Dude's gotta be waiting for the first chance to call Trump not a true conservative and holler about how he never wanted to endorse him but the establishment forced him into it.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What I love is that Cruz held out for months, and finally relented when it looked like Trump might actually win, and three days later the debate happened

Ted Cruz is a loving calamity-bringer to Trump's campaign. He gives that weird "vote your conscience" speech at the RNC and like a week later, Trump gets into a fight with gold star parents, then he sorta-semi endorses Trump without specifically naming him and then the debates happen and Trump polymorphs into a corncob. He is bad luck weaponized.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Listen to this poo poo then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZq2cactvc

or yknow, any new Kendrick. or Thundercat

I'm basically completely out of touch with new music so I would just like to take this moment and thank you because holy poo poo this is incredible

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Augh gently caress off, you're not welcome here

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I wish the tape wasn't just describing actual literal sexual assault tactics because holy poo poo is "grab her by the pussy" insanely funny on its own

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Endorph posted:

grab her by the vagina bones

I'm pissed Nintendo took the pussy-grabbing mini-game out of Fates

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I remember when people (myself included) that there wasn't much they could do in terms of oppo research because scandals seemed to slide off of Trump like water off a duck's back and Nothing Matters

To be that young and naive again.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Antti posted:

Please proceed, Governor.

We need broad-shouldered leadership, from a man who's not afraid to grab someone right by the pussy.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
On November 7th there's going to be scrolls unearthed that show a man with a bad blond comb-over crucifying Jesus. There's no other way this ends

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Reagan couldn't grab anyone by the pussy unless he called her 'mommy' first

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I still cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress "I moved in on her like a bitch" means

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

I'm no biblical scholar but I don't remember the passage that read as

And the LORD said,
"Grab her by the pussy"

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
There is no way Trump's ego leads to him dropping out. I cannot imagine a scenario where he does not drag himself, crushed under the weight of ERROR: NaN scandals, across the finish line with a million excuses as to why he actually won and is good.

PhazonLink posted:

Pedo context reminder.

Wanted to gently caress a 12 year old Paris Hilton and probably his daughter his daughter also made him swear to never date anyone younger than her.(this was when I-something was 18)

Ivanka was 16 at the time actually, I believe, so it's even worse.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
So, I still think it's astronomically unlikely, but in the far-flung alternate universe where the GOP grows a spine and strongarms Trump off of the ticket, what the hell happens to the downballot? Am I crazy for assuming that pushing Trump out this late in the game will so completely obliterate Republican turnout that it would give Dems a reasonable shot at taking back the House?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
John Boehner is probably having the best god drat glass of wine he's ever had in his life tonight.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Also something that'll hamstring any attempts at replacing Trump: who do you replace him with? No one who has any thoughts, be they exaggerated or not, of a future career in politics is not going to agree to be the punching bag who gets slaughtered as a replacement. You could maybe get like, Ben Carson, but not anyone who is a 'real' politician, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

computer parts posted:

The idea seems to be Pence since he's there already but his best characteristic right now is being "generic Republican" and praying the sole debate he's in (that people watch) doesn't change that.

No way Pence would agree to that, I think. It'd be such a stacked deck against him that it's way easier and less painful to just wait the four years and give it a shot in 2020 instead.

• Locked thread