Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I had my fingers crossed for USPOL Oct: The vindication of Prester Jane by the Corncob Donald Trump, but Trumpelthinskin is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

And the GOP will have to deal with everyone knowing that outright racist red meat rhetoric gets primary votes. There will be a lot more Trump-like and Herman Cain-like candidacies I think. The math of needing the far right fringe in the primary won't go away for awhile.

I have my heart set on a solid blue House and a major push for Democrats voting in midterms.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I can't believe how wrong the warhams are. We know Hillary's corrupt. We know she brutally dismembers her opponents. We know the powers that be worship her. We know she's basically invincible to scandal. We know she has a terrifying belly laugh. The answer is clear.

Hillary plays Blood Angels. :argh:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I feel an incredible amount of anger over people like Chick so violently and disgustingly twisting religion in this sort of way. I'm an atheist, but I have a great belief in the value and importance of redemption and that pretty much everyone should, if they wish to attempt it, have the right to try and redeem themselves if circumstances allow it. It isn't up to me to dictate what that takes for any given individual, but I can surely say it's something that takes a huge amount of reflection, effort, and hard work. It isn't something that everyone gets a chance at, and even if you do it, not everyone will forgive you, and that is part of it all. My dad molested me when I was a kid and I doubt I could have ever forgiven him; but had he not drank himself to death, I could not in good conscience say he shouldn't have been allowed to try to appreciate the depths of what he did, and to try and find some way to redeem himself and make up for it.

And that is a powerful, deeply moving theme in many religions. If it helps a person who truly wants to do good, to be better, then more power to them! That's wonderful and I heartily applaud any work a religious institution or individual does to help people seeking that path, even if I might find a different one myself. But then you get to fuckers like Jack Chick, who act as though you can kneel down, say a prayer, and not only be wholly redeemed but have a switch flipped that turns you from a person who rapes and pimps out your own daughter into a good, decent father. That should be offensive to basically anyone and everyone, the religious most of all. In religion any serious effort at redemption is taken to involve much prayer and contemplation, yes, but it also tends to involve a great deal of temporal matters as well, whether that is good works, seeking forgiveness from your victim, confessing in a court of law and serving your time, etc. etc.. Most people who could reasonably be called redeemed are the sort of guy who has, for example, spent 40 years in prison for a crime committed aged 17, and has spent that time obeying the rules, studying, working to improve the prison library's stock, helping other prisoners, etc. etc., not just falling to his knees and invoking the name of Christ the King to attain immediate absolution. Chick's bullshit demeans religions who work hard to help sinners, he demeans people who have worked sincerely to redeem themselves, and he demeans victims by implying we should forgive as easily and readily as God and that our suffering can be erased with some prayer.

I guess the short version is that redemption, whatever that might be (I realize it's something of a trickier thing to describe it in secular terms but I'm too tired to get into that right now), requires a secular or at least temporal aspect as well as a spiritual one, even if you are religious.

I think this is a good post that should get more attention.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hey, I'd like to tell you about this thing called sola fide... :viggo:

Sola Fide as a concept is handily destroyed by that post imo. :colbert: Hell if it'll convince any shambling jackass who believes in it though.

• Locked thread