Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

That last bit being the problem. You can hope, but the last epidemic the mortality rate was still over 35%.

Back on topic, I must admit that 99% of me is very much enjoying this. But there's still the stupid awful 1% that can't but focus on a chain of events where 1) Trump is successfully convinced to drop out (which won't happen), 2) the RNC gets its poo poo together and very quickly picks a new nominee without acrimony or leaks (which won't happen) and 3) the news gets out fast enough and loudly enough that voting for Trump actually means voting for Paul Ryan/Mitt Romney/Mike Pence (which won't happen), and then we have Killary KKKLinton who killed Mr. Ben Ghazi with her emails versus nice smiley normal Republican man.

Stupid paranoia.

I'm more worried that so many people are going to consider Trump done that they don't bother to vote and he gets elected by his remaining base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After tonight Clinton may have to actually legally and correctly change her name to Killary.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

trash person posted:

I have never been more convinced Trump was a Democratic plant

That will at least be his story if he's still alive in a few years.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boon posted:

Ask yourself if that's logical and why you might feel that way.

I don't think that's going to help the hesitant voter in this case.

Also I came to the realization tonight (though always kind of knew), and not a particularly happy one, that much as I love the guy, if Bernie had won the primary we'd be looking at a Trump presidency. He wouldn't have been able to get under Trump's skin or crush him in the debates, and I think far less of Trump's deplorable poo poo would have come to light and what did would have been downplayed. It's maddening that the first woman president has to win against certainly the most incompetent person to ever run for the office and among the most heinous to ever run, but if it hadn't been her he would have won. And there is still a part of me that can't let go of worrying that he still might.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Squeegy posted:

Are you kidding? Bernie crushed Trump in the polls during the primary and he's a firey orator who zinged Clinton plenty. But I guess if you think Trump still might beat Clinton there's no convincing you otherwise.

Clinton's oppo dumping has been weak as heck, most of it has come from third parties, so Bernie's admittedly weak and hastily-assembled campaign machine probably wouldn't have mattered in the end.

I don't think all the third party stuff would have come up is more what came to mind. Trump's rampant misogyny wouldn't have been as big of an issue for one, and making the tax thing more of an issue might have backfired and sent more people to the "I'm smart and dodge taxes so I'll give the tax cuts (that you don't benefit from)" guy than the one who says taxes will go up but you're unlikely to pay them guy.

Foreign policy was also a huge weakness for Bernie in the primaries and that has been one of the biggest weapons Clinton has had against Trump. Trump also would want someone to try to get heated with him so that he could win by shouting them down with nonsense to "project strength" rather than someone refusing to play his game and giving him the rope to hang himself and his entire party with.

Bernie making the primary a hard fight and really pulling the party left before bowing out was the most valuable thing he could have done, and I think he recognizes that. Not to mention the harm the moron Bernie bros could have done.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 20, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Drinking contest- who would win, Hillary Clinton or Rachel Maddow?

I think I gotta go with Maddow on this one, but it would be a fierce battle.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

"What kind of look do you want to go for at the final debate, Secretary Clinton?"

"Think Kim Jong Un, but if he were baller as gently caress"

Notably, the suffragists wore all white and that is not lost on a lot of people.

Though to be honest I was thinking more Equilibrium when I saw her outfit.

I'll also agree that it's a good thing that she's probably going to help move us past the mandatory American flag pin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The sleeves and slits for arms to poke through look a bit silly in the first one, but drat if that second shot ain't killin it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What male politicians (or really any man of even a slight level of stature) wear might get talked about more if there were anything to talk about. You've got what, tux or not, one of two (now three) potential suit colors, two colors of tie, and flag pin Y/N? Not to excuse the inherent sexism of women of stature being judged on their clothes and appearance, but men's clothing is just too boring to do anything with.

If only Obama had worn the golden space emperor cloak.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

On November 9th I will probably go to work because it's a Wednesday.

On November 9th Clinton will have destroyed all jobs in the US, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Agrajag posted:

What in the loving christ is wrong with people. Have they lived in a loving alternate reality bubble for 8 years where the GOP hasn't been obstructing everything?

But you see, Obamacare was passed, and it shipped in all the Mexicans and terrorists and shipped out your job and also called you a dork. And see? Now its rates are going up because our nightmare health care system wasn't fixed forever because it wasn't allowed to be.

So clearly there was no obstruction and the dems got everything they wanted from fuehrer Obama.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It would've been just as bad with Bernie. And I think an argument for her over Bernie is that she is probably better equipped to deal with gridlock than he is.

The argument for Hillary over Bernie is that Bernie would be losing to Trump. Neither of the two would be any better at dealing with gridlock.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 27, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Weren't they at least also charged with destruction of federal property, which they demonstrably did? I didn't follow it too closely because I thought it was an open and shut case, but I guess not!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the bright side, this may end in people trying to occupy the capitol or whute house or something to try to take are country back, and I'm sure that will go swimmingly for them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is super frustrating. I worry it's only going to empower these militia dildos to do more dumb and terrible poo poo.

Let's be honest here, any outcome to this trial would have done that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

An acquittal should have some further backing more than "We felt like being nice today".
Im not saying that double jeopardy rule is dumb, I just dont understand why a jury is allowed to make a decision and then just not have to show any proof that they were reasonable and sane individuals while making it.

Playing devil's advocate (as someone with no legal background), any justification they offer would have to be accepted or you're kind of throwing out the importance of the jury, so their justification is irrelevant. If you would argue that the jury must defend their verdict, then that is an unfair burden since the jurors are extremely unlikely to have the legal background to adequately do that in what would be essentially a second trial.

Yes this verdict is lovely and bad, but saying fundamental parts of the jury system and presumption of innocence are faulty because of it isn't a good look. If anything the fault here is in jury selection.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

size1one posted:

I just looked up the statute. It is always illegal but they weren't charged with simple possession. They were charged with possession in the commission of a crime. The latter is 5 years in jail instead of just 1. Why they weren't charged with both is mind boggling though.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

It's possible they were worried that a simple possession charge could have turned it into a second amendment battle.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

"You don't like how six shitheads voted out of spite to let people on Their Team off scot-free? Well you should never call them out, that's just bad for the justice system. :colbert:"

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

Advocating what is basically jury intimidation probably would not turn out in the way you'd like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nessus posted:

So goons posting on the internet is a threat to democracy, but a bunch of militiamen standing outside of the courthouse with guns isn't. Funny how that works out, isn't it.

Yeah that's totally what I said and I clearly approve of jury intimidation and did not say exactly the opposite.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crooked Hillary's dark money, out in the open!

And speaking of republicans who will likely go down with the Trump ship, god I hope Giuliani is on the bow. Or the stern. Whichever one sinks first.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

logger posted:

I would say that opens the door for President Exxon, but we have had that for decades now.

That gives me the worrisome thought of how long until president Elon Musk.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tricky D posted:

That may disqualify dogs, but not turtles.

Also parrots.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Agrajag posted:

Why didn't Killery say she did?

Because to her it was a Tuesday.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Duscat posted:

Trump has Russian ties, of course he does, he's done business there for a long time, as he has all over the planet. That's why he needs to release his goddamn tax returns, as well as a far more detailed disclosure of his interests abroad, so we can see where the conflicts of interest lie, and whether they're what goons here apparently like to call "nothingburgers" or whether he is in fact five hundred million deep to a literal Russian mob, or whatever.

I mean he'd still get 40% or whatever of the vote even then.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want the emails to just be "Hey check out this cute cat video" once they are released.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That would indeed by significantly better than my lovely thought.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I'm incredibly impressed with how Clinton's kept her composure this entire time. I'd have broken down long ago.

And that's one of the reasons she should be president. Also if her storied dry sense of humor is to be believed, I am ready for how she's going to deal with the rampant obstructionism she's going to receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mixodorian posted:

You don't need to reflexively defend her, or try to assassinate the character of Jill Stein.

Stein and Johnson are only saved from being the biggest idiots in this entire election cycle by the existence of Trump.

• Locked thread