Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Queering Wheel posted:

- As much as we like to think Trump is an idiot, you have to have an above average level of intelligence to play the game as well as he has in his career. He's a piece of poo poo, no doubt, but he's very good at moving money around, passing the bill onto other people, playing the bankruptcy game and so on. It's clearly something that he enjoys doing. Why not play another game and try to take out an entire political party? I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing started with Bill thinking that Trump could never pull off such a plan, and Trump privately challenged him to a bet or something.

But that's just my speculation.
Or, alternatively, Hillary could be winning fair and square against a narcissist, misogynistic pig, thanks to herself and her team.

Seriously, the "Trump and Bill conspired together!" conspiracy theories stink of another sort of sexism and misogyny. Hillary couldn't possibly be winning on her own, it must be a benevolent conspiracy of these two men!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Eh, sorry about the peeved off response to the clear sarcasm. It's just, you know that in the nearest future this will be one of the actual theories a lot of people will honest to God believe in.

Speaking of which, rolling stone has a good article about how to counteract anxiety-driven conservatism: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/why-were-living-in-the-age-of-fear-w443554 (It starts by explaining the association between anxiety and black-and-white thinking and conservatism, which is probably old news to everyone here, but then it goes into mild suggestions about how to counteract this programming, which is something I haven't really seen before, and also something which will probably have to be explored soon. A lot of posters here seem to be really sad about their parents, so I thought they might be interested.)

There's also Taibbi on political disenfranchisement: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/six-million-adults-who-wont-influence-this-election-w443693 . It's OK, but it ends with this really bizarre paragraph:

quote:

Just another reason to hate the political process as we head into this most disgusting of all presidential elections. The alien invasion can't come too soon.
Sanders' loss in the primaries seem to have really broken him, didn't it?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Am I the only one who wasn't really all that shocked or moved by the "grab her pussy" news? When I read it I was like "oh, look, another dumb Trump comment". Then it EXPLODED in a way that made me think, "what the hell, do things matter now?"

What makes this much worse than calling Mexicans rapists, birthers, or any of the other stupid poo poo?
I think partly it's because of Clinton. As in, she's a woman doing a historic run, so it's his history with women, and behavior towards them, that's in the spotlight. If he were running against Obama, someone would try to dig for Trump being this crass and offensive about black people (concrete black people he met as opposed to "black people" in the general). If against a Castro, about Hispanics.

And I think the "concrete actual person" and the crassness are also important. It's not hypotheticals against a large number of people. It's this concrete person. And he's not just talking about assault. He's being completely crass and tacky about it. And it's all on tape, unlike with Machado.

And finally, it's just the cherry on top of this particular turd pile. Starting with Machado. It's like some compounding of the exact same message until a tipping point has been reached.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Today at the debate it will be the first time since Pussygate that Trump will be in one room with people not willing to enable him, correct?

This election is awakening in me urges I didn't know I have. Like the urge to go on Twitter and post "Slay Queen." Or maybe "Drag him." I'm terrified. I think I may have absorbed a linguistic killshot.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

boner confessor posted:

if anyone's gonna get defensive about how trump is evil so it's ok that this is happening, that's on them. i'm just pointing out what is happening
Good. How many people did he destroy?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

gfsincere posted:

Her response needs to be somewhere between Instant Transmission Kamehameha and Spirit Bomb on Namek.
I'm looking forward to the version of the debate with the appropriate effects added. Wildfire. The Death Star laser. This.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Her team aren't idiots. They weigh the risks of attempting "gotcha" moments and simply tell Hillary to stay on message and keep her cool. Trump will ruin himself. Clearly this strategy is working.
Yeah, disappointing as that is. That said, I hope we do get a Kate McKinnon 'what Hillary would say if she wasn't an experienced, cautious politician and therefore herself' bit.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Hydrocodone posted:

A few friends of mine run a monthly comedy show called Latinx. I think the word's on a steady rise. Might be easiest to get used to it.

Why not Latin@, though?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Hydrocodone posted:

Not sure! I'd not heard latinx before their show began and I only saw latin@ after that. And I don't really know the implications of either term intimately.
Could you ask them? I started learning (European) Spanish back in... 2006, maybe? And the '@' thing was already pretty routine then on the Internet. Just as a signifier of people when gender wasn't important. So, you'd also write chic@ for 'guy or gal' and so on. The Latinx thing is new to me.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

His crimes seem to be laughing nervously and saying (a soap opera actress) ... "is loving hot"!. Which is actual, unproblematic locker room talk.
Because he sat on hot material but didn't tell the parent network about it. Someone else had to dig it out.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

horse mans posted:

We're all in agreement that would actually be no systemic violence as Trump tries to consolidate his base, right? That support from the fraternal order of police doesn't scare anyone else?
Systemic, no. But there will be violence.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

(((Closed Captions)))

The Clinton campaign has grabbed the Trump campaign by the pussy. And they let her do it.
Didn't even use Tic Tacs..
Please don't talk about the losing campaign in female terms, tia.

She clearly, obviously cucked him. With America.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Basically, I think there are three options here:

1.) Trump voters are mostly voting for him out of economic reasons. They feel like the Democrats have left them behind, and Trump at least pretends to listen to their problems.

2.) Trump voters are in love with the personality of the strong, patriarchal businessman who is so powerful he doesn't have to ever care what anyone else thinks of him.

3.) They're all racists and voting for Trump is an outlet for their hate.

[...]

For what it's worth, I really think it's mostly 1 and a little 2. If it's mostly 3, then we're in a bad position because you can't just say to a huge portion of our population that they can't vote anymore because we find their views odious.
You are wrong, though. Trump voters are not particularly affected economically next to others (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...trumps-success/). Some say that the variable that defines them is authoritarianism, although this here claims that they are populist: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-what-are-they/ .

I still think that either of these two scenarios will happen: either the GOP find themselves a charismatic populist psychopath without Trump's baggage (probably a Chris Kyle type, a vet strong on guns, law and order), or the party dies and, in time, the divisions within the Democrats force a split to fill the newly formed ecological niche.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Under the financial data section of the paper, the analysis specifically points to the sort of person who has some economic status but is fearful of losing it.

Trump voters aren't guys working the drive thru at McDonald's, they're the guy who manages the McDonald's.
Yes. Fear in general is the basis of authoritarianism.

Although I think that all this analysis foregoes in general a very major factor, and that is how much Hillary is able to achieve. Because let's pretend for a moment that she manages to restore pork barrel spending, connecting it to green infrastructure. Obviously, each building and each piece of infrastructure repaired or built under this legislation should have a very large notice board on-site saying "this was done thanks to funds from (....)". In a generation or two, this might bring some effect in diminishing the fear of government.

Which is why this election is so really, really important.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't have a lot of confidence in Hillary getting the Republicans who control the house to bow to her will unless she's giving them something back in a big way. To do so is a really big assumption that flies in the face of the past 6 years of government.
I don't know... she and Obama did a good job of making them weak and scattered now, while a lot of the recent endorsements of Clinton focus on her want to have "achievable goals" (cf eg. Idaho statesman: http://www.idahostatesman.com/opinion/editorials/article108108882.html). That suggests to me that she could have a more favorable climate than "hope and change" Obama.

Also, I assume that if she wants to do anything really big, she'll ask the Obamas, Biden, Kaine, Bernie, Bill and everyone else to stump for her again. And they may just do it. (Best PR team ever.)

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Well yeah. Adding the wrong article is weird. The word "Monster" has the article "das" and not "der". It's the same i you add a descriptive word at the start. The female article "die" world also work. But that wouldn't be a female Sexmonster but the plural of one (genderneutral) Sexmonster.

What I'm saying is that we need someone with the name "Die Sexmonster!" It has a nice double meaning.

Eine Sexmonsterin.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

You're not the only one who glazed over, and yes. That's the thrust. Celebration over solving the root cause.
Hillary has a good policy briefing on autism, by the way. If you want to organise something, consider looking it through, maybe?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Crabtree posted:

He deserves to have everything taken from him, for his empire to fall and for his tower to be demolished.
I'd say the Tower should have the decency to collapse like a good final boss' lair, except... Trump and decency, good joke.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

lol, throwing shade is not passive. It's very direct. Just not to the discussed target. This is why we should know were these words come from and how they're used!!!
I'm nonplussed about this.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure an AI overlord would look at all how we bake our various ethnoreligious and gendered hatreds into our societal systems and go, " inefficient ."

Thus ending many a gravy train
Nope! AI's usually double down on the biases of their creators. They can be as sexist or racist as any human. :3:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

What you're thinking of aren't true AI, though. More so really kind of advanced aggregate machines. Like buzzfeed made semi-sentient.
OK, but that's a real problem, actually. Here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/sunday/artificial-intelligences-white-guy-problem.html :

quote:

A very serious example was revealed in an investigation published last month by ProPublica. It found that widely used software that assessed the risk of recidivism in criminals was twice as likely to mistakenly flag black defendants as being at a higher risk of committing future crimes. It was also twice as likely to incorrectly flag white defendants as low risk.
[...]
And then there’s gender discrimination. Last July, computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University found that women were less likely than men to be shown ads on Google for highly paid jobs. The complexity of how search engines show ads to internet users makes it hard to say why this happened — whether the advertisers preferred showing the ads to men, or the outcome was an unintended consequence of the algorithms involved.

If you feed a neural network sexism and racism, sexism and racism is what you get out. Not really surprising.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

Garbage in, garbage out applies to neural nets too? It's not unexpected, exactly, but it's. . . concerning that the designers didn't expect it.
Well, of course.

Topical for AIs: winner of this year's Hugo for best short story: Cat Pictures, Please.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
The horrible thing is that those people probably will take out their anger on their closest neighbors and local authorities. On the basis that Hillary will be too far and protected, but the local people won't.

Planned Parenthood clinics, mosques, Latino neighborhoods and whatnot better invest in some really good security.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Also on the topic of bots: I think that someone should create a bot that will tweet to Trump pictures of him a. being bald and b. being tiny-handed.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Also, like all super serious right wing protests, the million man march will be a 10k rascal crawl.
Once again, that's not the problem. Stochastic terrorism is.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

What should I do then? Give in and not call out racist poo poo fucks when I see them? Should I vote Trump? Should I give in?
I hope that some experts will voice on this soon. Off the top of my head, support reasonable gun control and initiatives to improve police-community relations, maybe? Terrorism prevention is usually down to people from the community noticing radicalisation and lone-wolf behavior, isn't it?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Agrajag posted:

i can honestly say i cant even sit through one of his rambling sentences before closing the page on his livestream
I feel like the correct way to take it in is to take his transcripts and feed them to a wordcloud generator.

Agrajag posted:

someone remind me; is it steroids or EPO that makes you win debates?
Mentats.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Functional blaster earrings. And the moffrence is taking place in an illegal whale poaching base that's also right next to the submerged bit of Death Star wreckage that Vader's severed hand and glove got carried away into space on in the explosion, which they need to boost the three-eyed dude's latent force abilities so that he can pretend to be a different three-eyed dude who's a preternaturally good weapons designer but also a pacifist (and the Emperor's secret bastard child). Half the dudes in the meeting later get killed by a robot clone of Princess Leia with laser eyes.

And people say this is the bad part of the EU. :rolleyes:
I'll admit, it does take a certain amount of creativity/schizophrenia/drugs/shamelessness to invent something this stupid. I'll further admit that I, for one, could never do it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Antti posted:

Basically the idea is that America has become so ungodly and corrupt in its ways because of mandatory gay abortions that God in his infinite wisdom has decided to send a really terrible President to show Americans the error of their ways. That President is Donald Trump, so we must vote for him not because he's a good Christian, but for the exact opposite reason.

So you're saying they are religious accelerationists?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

sponges posted:

Wikileaks just tweeted that Assange "had is internet severed by a state party".
He has failed Putin for the last time.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I'd love someone (preferably the moderator, more likely Hillary) to press Trump about the 'rigging' thing during the debate. Didn't he promise to abide by the results of the election one time or another?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. I feel like Clinton's wardrobe/makeup people have been really on point this whole election but tonight was a particularly great look.

Hollismason posted:

They dressed her in a radiant with accents of gold. Like it looked super good.

Xibanya posted:

Clotheschat can be the result of sexism but given we just spent pages and pages actually discussing the content of the debate I think we can be permitted some as a palate cleanser after discussing the possible end of peaceful democratic transition in the US. Also clothes are interesting as a means of communicating a message anyway.

It was, by the way, by Ralph Lauren: https://www.yahoo.com/style/hillary-clinton-wears-ralph-lauren-once-again-for-final-debate-014640120.html . Guess he took a break from designing Olympicswear:

quote:

a white suit with horn buttons cascading down the front of the jacket in a diagonal manner. The Democratic presidential nominee paired the ensemble, which, Yahoo Style can confirm, was custom designed for her by Ralph Lauren, with silver orb earrings and black kitten heels

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

What's likely to happen is a GOP civil war if the Dems take the Senate and cut into the lead in the House, because while GOP will lose seats overall, the Freedom Caucus will gain seats. Plus Paul Ryan is loathed within the party right now. Plus they'll be angry that they can't block everything forever anymore.
How to find out which Republican candidates are Freedom Caucus, and which aren't? Especially nonincumbents?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I know there is a not-insignificant fraction of posters who feel that "people having guns" should constitute an actionable threat by anyone who sees it, but I don't think there is any U.S. state that currently recognizes it as such absent an overt or articulated threat.
That's pretty much insane.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Why does Trump get a pass on his draft dodging. I'm wondering because of that discussion of swift boating a couple pages back. Kerry is actually there and hurt in the line of duty and loses the election for it, Trump never got closers than California and it's even a concern for the war mongering R base
Way I see it, who is going to call him out? Clinton? She's called a hawk as it is, and she's already called him out on disrespect to military families. It's a fine line to tread for her.

McMullin recently did in some tweets, I think.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

And it isn't an easy one, either, because the Statue and the poem both represent some tremendously uplifting ideas, and those ideas haven't been applied in a particularly even fashion throughout our history.
The one thing I find interesting is how this entire discussion so far has completely failed to mention the original context in which the statue was constructed, and the original meaning it had for the people who lived through its construction - which was to celebrate the abolitionist movement and the Union's victory in the Civil War. All the immigration connotations came only later.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Majorian posted:

I wish I could believe that was the implication, but the reality is, name recognition plays an extremely big role in political primaries. Clinton had it; Sanders didn't.
Well, having good name recognition is part of being good at the job.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Squeegy posted:

I would say Sanders certainly has name recognition now.
Of course, no doubt on that.

That said, it's really the 'intraparty organisational network' answer. Obama had charisma *and* access to the Kennedys' network. Clinton has her network and contacts from 30 years or so. Bernie had charisma (hence the crowds) but, despite his long experience in politics, no network inside the party. Currently, he seems to be kinda-establishing one... but not really...

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

karthun posted:

Sanders might have been able to turn "Our Revolution" into something but that died when half of its staff left the first day when Weaver was announced to be President.
He's doing good job with the Paul Ryan endorsement (anti endorsement?), though.

I guess we'll see after the elections how much power he'll really have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Haven't you seen how many times your points about how they should watch their tone, how they should stop being so uptight, how they should stop caring so god drat much, have already been discussed to death?
On the tone thing, I'm sincerely disappointed that I came to this thread after so many hours and nobody has tried to perform a sentiment analysis on their opponents' posts yet.

Shame on you, people. Where are the hilariously ill-advised misuses of technology? Are you goons or are you not?

(Sentiment analysis being used to prove that Trump's own tweets were far more angry and mad than the iPhone ones was awesome, though.)

• Locked thread