Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

vorebane posted:

I had my fingers crossed for USPOL Oct: The vindication of Prester Jane by the Corncob Donald Trump, but Trumpelthinskin is nice.

HPanda posted:

Wait for November. It should be the grand finale.

That really would be a perfect title to end this shitshow.

Epic High Five posted:

Hillary's social media team are rising rapidly through the ranks and will be a terror for decades to come

I'm kind of skeptical of how well Clinton will do in 2020, but if her social media team continues to improve its trolling game, that'll be a great asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Grundulum posted:

It would also shatter the coalition between religion-motivated voters and economics-motivated voters. The GOP would be straight-up annihilated at the national level if white evangelicals stayed home on Election Day. Giving up the culture war is not a winning strategy, as it's provided the incentive for a ton of single-issue voters over the last decade or more.

If or when they give up the culture war stuff, I am sure they will find a decent supply of ill-informed libertarians. That entire ideology is incredibly appealing to a lot of people because they don't put in the effort to research it more than five minutes. It is much harder to explain to voters why you should keep taxes than just say "Get government out of your money!"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I really don't understand the optimism on Hilldawg's chances at another term - there's still a lot that can happen in four years, but most importantly, not much will happen at the federal level beyond the appointment of Scalia (and probably RBG's) replacements. Unless Hillary shocks everyone and turns Trump's defeat into a chance to work with the Republican congress on a number of major issues that they generally oppose (healthcare, criminal justice, environment, taxes, etc), then it's going to be four years of doing nothing.

Remember that voters are morons. While the Republicans do not have demographics on their side, running a not-literally insane person like Trump can easily attract a good number of women voters and possibly even hispanic voters if the economy takes a turn for the worse or some other international crisis occurs. There WILL be another recession, and the Democrats will be blamed for it if they are in the White House, because voters are dumb and will ask "Why didn't the Dems do anything, they've been in charge for 12 years!" Memories of Trump's racisms might help keep hispanics behind the Dems, but the lack of Trump will likely just exacerbate the enthusiasm gap of young voters and hispanics who suddenly don't have a boogeyman around to scare them into supporting the Dem, causing them to just say "meh" and stay home. 2018 will be a preview of this.

Voters have the memory of goldfish, undecided voters are morons, and lol nothing matters. This election should be a testament to this more than anything!

That said, the Republicans may totally nominate Cruz and suicide, but I'm arguing that it's not a given. 2020 will end up being a far more consequential election in the long run (avoiding fascism aside), as it will decide whether the house is finally back in play for the entire decade from 2022-2032.

I really hate saying it, but I'm way more inclined to agree with this pessimistic outlook than any of the "GOP's hosed" outlooks. It ultimately hinges on the fact that voters truly are morons, and 2016 has confirmed that completely.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, we basically have two main long-term problems. The most immediate one is that we're basically guaranteed a recession soon. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be a big gently caress off one like 2008 that destroys Hillary's presidency but it's not helpful and voters are too stupid to make any other conclusion than "Democrat is president, ergo recession is Democrat's fault."

The more long-term one is that climate change is still going to bend the world over a rail and nobody is doing nearly enough about it. Usually I don't like moral weight arguments, about whether or not this or that issue of the Left is more important, but climate change has basically reached the point where it actually does matter more than everything else and we kind of need to fix it now. I don't know how we accomplish that when most of the country doesn't even believe it's a problem, but...

The worst part about the latter is that Clinton really won't even be able to do a ton about it as long as the Republicans have anywhere near as much power as they have now. And when the problems of climate change become even more visible to average people, they will undoubtedly blame the president. It's a major political, economic, and continuing to actually survive problem, and I have no idea what the gently caress to do about it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I wanted to vote for Clinton, but I can't resist my husband's withered and impotent penis! Oh, what am I going to do?!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

skylined! posted:

The 4th dimensional chess game actually being played by Putin.

He's not even doing much really. All he's doing is banking on white voters being upset at a nebulous something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Xae posted:

Hannity is on the way out and he knows it. The Murdoch boys aren't big on Ailes and his toadies.

I'm betting as soon as his contract is up they'll part ways after being unable to reach an agreement and Hannity will retreat back to Talk Radio. They'll blow through a bunch of generic establishment conservatives in his time slot for a few years until they find one that works.
I thought the rumor was that Murdoch's kids want to shift Fox towards the center after the election?

And it's really hard to feel that bad for Kelly when she did have Trump in that ridiculous primetime special, and was just as soft on him as Hannity has been. They're all awful people.

Covok posted:

Apparently, Trump has decided he hates transgender people now. Probably always did and the bathroom was an anomaly. He complained about "our PC military accepting transgender soldiers."
He doesn't want women, transgender people, or gays serving in the military. Who knows what he actually believes, but it's just another piece of evidence that he'll fall in line with boilerplate neoconservative nonsense if it benefits himself.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Holy poo poo that's like a solid page of replies in 10 minutes about what President Trump means for your gay friends.

I hope this gets the point across.
Not trying to be rude to NikkolasKing but I don't fully understand why he or she has to be told why a Trump presidency would be bad for gay people (or really, just about any minority group) in October 2016. Hasn't it been obvious what Trump stands for since he announced his campaign by calling all Mexicans rapists?

That announcement speech really was the singular moment where our political reality became unhinged. The man said absolutely vile things about a nationality, and our media collectively dismissed it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bobjr posted:

Has Hillary even said anything about video games recently? I've heard a few people around my age mention that as a reason they aren't voting for her, but they're also manchildren who complain about the evils of feminism so it's not like I'm surprised.

I don't know, but as someone who enjoys noted video game cesspools, Dota 2 and EVE Online, I have to say that gamers are the absolute worst.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, you're right.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

To be really honest I suspect his new cuddly demeanor is brain damage from the alcoholism relapse. I dunno I just don't feel that white-hot hate for him anymore. There's too much going on in the present.

I also don't passionately hate him any longer, when in reality, I probably should still. Like you said, there's too much going on right now, and the rise of Trump has shown it can inexplicably get worse somehow.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Did he dye his eyebrows? There's so much going on here.

He's a weird looking guy. Isn't he "noted" (somehow) for being very fashionable though? None of it helps when his face is as unnerving as it is.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

They left him behind on Virmire so that Ashley "Space Republican" Williams could stay until the third installment.

I can get behind the GOP leaving Kaidan on Virmire. Sorry Obama, but Ashley adds more to the cast.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Fox news just had a segment with the host Shepard Smith asking a WaPo journalist what Trumps hidden motive is for not trying to win the election, and if the rumors were true that he's going to start a tv-channel with the breitbart guy and is using the election as a method to get an audience.

No link, unfortunately.

I don't get why Fox News doesn't push this narrative more because Trump is literally trying to put them out of business. They should be the first to point out how craven the guy is to run a campaign for publicity because they are going to be hurt the most by Trump News.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bad boy in the boy band posted:

There's plenty of shitheads who will still watch Fox News religiously. They'll just lose the shittiest of the shitheads.

If Trump News is established, and Fox tries to stay right wing, there is no way they compete with it. Even the more mild shitheads will switch.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Phone posted:

OK, the Blaze just failed which was, wait for it, a grifter's attempt to pull viewers from Fox News that didn't work.

So Trump Breitbart """News""" Network is different how? They're both grifters and they're trying to get that sweet Fox News viewership. It's going to be a pump and dump like everything else in the RWMsphere, but it's the same poo poo with a bad spray tan of paint on it.

Trump is incredibly magnetic to the horrible person demographic. Plus, it's incredibly likely that the only reason he's running at all is for this network. I'm sure he'll put effort into it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they also have kane from the brotherhood of nod
Is this a joke or is Joe Kucan actually alt-right? Please say it's a joke.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

poo poo, you weren't joking. Command & Conquer 5 looks awful.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It could be a nervous tic. I don't know.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Joe Scarborough is so bizarrely dishonest and snippy. Does he even get ratings? It feels like he's a remnant of MSNBC's experiment with wingnuttery (they hired Michal freaking Savage at one point trying to be Fox II) that people forgot to clean up because he doesn't start shouting about black helicopters.

Now Kellyanne, I get. It's her job to spin anything to Trump's benefit. He could light himself of fire on the debate stage and she'd say it shows his resolve and fortitude, that he was emulating buddhist protesters and famous superhero Human Torch, and why are you prejudiced against pyro-americans?
The show does well for its spot. Hell if I know why. If I'm watching cable news at the hours it's on, it's pretty much the only time my choice is not MSNBC.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

There is a section in that NYT article where the author says something like: Trump saw his name in print as being special, and denied to other people. The first thought that came to mind: this guy is literally Tom Marvolo Riddle. Christ.

Is Ivanka a horcrux?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Scott Adams has been crazy for at least twenty years or so, but that Tweet's got to be a new level of awfulness for him.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Donkwich posted:

So basically what every alt-right type tells themselves.
Conservative ideology now can be boiled down to weak trolling and pseudo irony.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I lost my virginity to one of those really tall water slides.

This dude uses twitter but doesn't know firearms progressed past the musket?
Using a musket enhances the role playing, which is all they're doing when they talk about revolution.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

Additional question for Hillary supporters: when did you stop beating your wife?
Hey guys, just a bit of a question to get into the Clinton mindset of her supporters. How many victims are there and where are the bodies?

Thanks for the input!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv0MXhgLgXQ&t=3200s

While catching up to McMuffin at the Texas Tribune fest, I noticed this in the Q&A: It's the most articulated explanation from a candidate about why Donald Trump will easily blow past Congress and the Supreme Court and pose an authoritarian threat to the United States.

His last answer about Johnson is pretty brutal too.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm starting to like this guy. And that's not good.
He's essentially a normal Republican whose only saving grace is that he believes climate change exists. I'm sure he's a likable person, but he's by no means a likable politician.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lozzle posted:

So basically he's the new John Huntsman.

Pretty much, yeah. I think the world would be a better place if his kind were running the Republican party instead of whatever the gently caress Trump's supporters are, but I don't think they actually have good ideas. They're dangerous in their own right.

I think Clinton should be glad that "reasonable" Republicans (or those who are able to masquerade as such) don't run the party because they could easily lead us back to the Bush years with a little charm and a lot less pussy grabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

paperwind posted:

Modern Republicans have become so loving awful that a Republican in the traditional mold actually sounds halfway reasonable these days. Did they really have any shred of intellectual consistency back in the day or am I just too young to know any better?

The bar now for "reasonable" is "don't post on Twitter all day about sending Jews to the ovens or killing all Muslims." If a Republican manages to not do that, they're a god drat statesman.

• Locked thread