Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Main Paineframe posted:

Even though it's coming out, it's not hurting him nearly as much as most people tended to assume it would. And to some extent, I think he might have realized that and been counting on that. I don't think it's a Trump-specific thing like a lot of people seem to be assuming, either. I suspect that people just tend to overestimate the impact of scandals, particularly in big, high-profile races.

That charity thing could cost him tens to hundreds of millions of dollars. He funnels a lot of money through there. And the most optimistic assessment of his worth is only like 3.5 billion. He doesn't have too many hundreds of millions of open money to publicly lose before he can't even pretend to be a billionaire anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Kaine clearly lost the VP debate, but he might have done it in a way that gives them ammunition to use against Trump, which is about the best you can hope for from a VP debate. Conversely I don't know that Pence winning can really help Trump in any way.

e: Either way, lovely debate as expected, good job.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 5, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Artix posted:

Even Trump must know this is wrong. There is no way he honestly believes that Hillary has not been practicing for the last two weeks.

Hillary Clinton has been practicing for this for her entire life, as a small girl she would slam nails into a baseball bat and write "Kill the Patriarchy" on it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I feel suddenly miserable and ashamed for our country, internationally speaking, that we let this loving depressing waste of a human mind and flesh onto the public stage like this.

:smith:

Why, like half the world has actually elected someone worse. If anything makes you miserable, feel miserable that we are still doing better than the vast majority of the world. At least our hosed up right wing monster is probably going to lose.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

maybe ted cruz endorsed trump so he could get close to him and zodiac him when the rnc gave him the orders

I'd respect Ted Cruz more if he was arrested by the police while completely naked, covered in blood, and holding Trump's severed head. At least that would show some conviction.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

porfiria posted:

Overall I'm not sure this particular bomb matters too much. It might; the language is pretty disgusting but ultimately it's pretty easy to dismiss as dirty boy bragging.

As we've just seen, no it really loving isn't.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

True but to be fair this isn't the first time he's been mean to women. Also, how many times have we heard this line?

He has been hurt in the polls before. The last time he poo poo talked women [Which was like 9 minutes before this one] hurt him in the polls, and this is so much worse.

He doesn't have time left to keep getting hurt in the polls.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dirt posted:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/784615850930237440

poo poo like tonight makes me miss having cable. I'm missing all the fun poo poo.

Well I mean it'll probably literally all be up on the internet at some point, so you are really only missing out for an hour or so.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, it's a telling statement that Donald Trump trying to rape a woman in the daughter he finds attractive's bedroom isn't even the leading story against him at the moment.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

But is there any real positive to more scandal, aside from the warm fuzzy we get when we see an rear end in a top hat get what they deserve?

Overwhelming success can effect the downticket. If Hillary wins big enough/Donald damages the Republicans badly enough, they could massively lose in the House and Senate. What with changing demographics, the Republicans don't have too many years where they are assured big power. Win this overwhelmingly enough, and you might be able to start legitimately killing the Republican Party for good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

:stare: He absolutely would have. He's a little creepy, but as far as I know he's never openly bragged about grabbing women by the crotch because being a Senator makes him a big fuckin deal

There's an endless stream of pictures of him getting hands on and kissy with all sorts of women and children, lots of whom look uncomfortable. Dude isn't the right person to capitalize on this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I love how the Republicans had studies more than a decade ago about changing demographics and how they had to do some outreach among Latinos and other minority groups, and instead they went the complete opposite direction. And now they are stuck with the stark reality that their base is completely toxic to the swing voters *both* parties need to win the White House, but that they don't have a chance without their base either. They've hosed themselves in a completely irreversible way and there are no longer any good options. They just have to ride this out until they finally fade away as a meaningful political party.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Trump fought Vince at Wrestlemania. He wants to humiliate him which is why he secretly released this and is now holding a debate opposite a PPV.

Vince would have been a better choice for President than Donald.

And Bernie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I love that the strategy that Trump thought would win him the White House and secure his legacy is to relentlessly scream "I'm not the rapist, YOU'RE THE RAPIST!" for 90 minutes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

She's not going to choke.

He meant literally chokes Donald Trump in full view of the public.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

Why does there have to be a third one :smithfrog:

So that we can have a feral, half naked Trump that just points at Hillary and screams "RAPE!" for 90 minutes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I've just been screaming at the top of my lungs for the past 10 minutes, is that a normal reaction to all of this?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Debate sucked. Hillary won narrowly by occasionally answering questions and not rambling all over the loving place, but Trump wasn't as bad as the first debate. Was expecting fireworks after the first 20 minutes but then it just got really dull.

I'm sorry the fate of the free world didn't have enough cool sound bites for you.

e: vvvv Jazzing up his base, who have in part complained they will BOYCOTT OTHER R CHOICES and just vote Trump.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'm going to be, so, so loving happy when this election is over and I don't have to deal with another person on either side applying a ridiculous double standard to the performance of Donald Trump. It's like they've decided he's an actual chimp in a suit, and not literally making GBS threads on the floor is a good performance. Rather than that being the least informed and least competent series of answers a candidate for President has given in living memory.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

The bar for a 'Trump win' at a debate is so incredibly low for the media that as long as he doesn't do what he did at the 1st debate it's considered a success.

The bar for Trump is literally "Not as bad as the worst thing he ever did". At any given moment, whatever the worst thing he did is? Anything better than that is good. Not "An improvement", it's flat out good and inspiring and a win for him. And as he keeps doing increasingly worse and worse things, the amount of terrible things he can do and still be called "Strong" is increasing. By the actual election date he'll be able to rape a woman and get away with it, because it will be better than that time he raped a baby.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Did someone quietly pause to tell her she'd been sexually assaulted?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

But he lost the debate, so it didn't resonate. He's a loser because the thing he did wasn't effective.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There were other polls not the CNN poll. He lost them too. I'm sure there will be some "Random poll of 10,000 of the same exact /thedonald ips say he won by a million points!" polls, but this is actually an important time to poll. With everything fresh in people's minds, first reactions to what just happened, what do they think?

And they think Donald Trump lost.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Also he totally hosed that chair.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Latinx is poo poo because the 90s happened and nothing cool ends in x because of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I still can't believe his master plan was to have a bunch of people that have accused Bill of sexual assault confront him on the floor like the loving Jerry Springer show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's hilarious Trump tried to turn the debate into an episode of Jerry Springer, who is another celebrity more fit for the Ocal Office than Trump. Actually that would be a fun game - name a celebrity who'd make a better POTUS candidate than the one the GOP nominated.

Sadly Jerry Springer, while a middling politician of some small ability and popularity, can never be President on account of his crippling Englishness. No immigrants in the big chair. Of course he made it as far as Mayor and Trump will only make it as far as failure, so Jerry still wins that one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Am I a bad person for liking listening to this guy speak

Nah, dude is a national treasure who randomly went off on True Blood tangents when that show was on and it was loving glorious.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kilroy posted:

GOP and Dem internal polling will have a much, much better grasp of who is going to turn out, and the fact that the GOP seems more worried about losing the House than the plain reading of the public polls would suggest, says a lot.

It says they are idiots or looking to the future, as I don't think there physically are enough Democrats running for Republican House seats to flip it.

Now if in a historical turn around the Democrats actually manage to keep poo poo together in 2 years and tie the entire party to Trump and his hate? Yeah, the GOP could be proper hosed. Especially if a liberal Supreme Court has hosed gerrymandering in the meanwhile.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

gfsincere posted:

Probably the same way black people did well economically without any rights, capital, and dealing with massive racism until jealous white people burned all their poo poo down in 1919 like in Tulsa.

So doing well until it got burned to the loving ground is your dream scenario?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I'm pretty sure an AI overlord would look at all how we bake our various ethnoreligious and gendered hatreds into our societal systems and go, " inefficient ."

Thus ending many a gravy train

I'm pretty sure an AI would love people that put themselves into easy to quantify boxes and never act outside the parameters their social groups set.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it makes perfect sense, for Trump. He doesn't give a poo poo about the country, his biggest allies the whole election have been outrage and anger, he gets an out to claim he 'didn't really lose' and if he wins anyway it was against the odds and therefore a supremely crowning achievement of the ultimate alpha businessmale. He can't lose! What's not to like?

That doesn't work if you start talking about it a few months out. It just means you know people were working against you and you weren't good enough to stop them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

he is going to run a loving permanent canpaign. hes loving crazier than eugene v debs

The thing is that there's enough poo poo on him to put him in jail for awhile if people really wanted to, and it's only the looming election keeping things from falling on him like a sack of bricks. Nobody wants to be accused of stealing the election by putting their opponent in jail.

After he loses though nobody loving cares. Someone in the Justice Department will run train on him to make a name for themselves.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Boy sure isn't any moderator bias here :geno:

He's the best moderator we've had in these debates, which is something I did not see coming.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ktonastya posted:

I think all of us need that gang tag.

I feel like everyone that watched a posted earned it. America earned it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel I speak for my fellow red text brothers that our ability to cause butthurt worth spending money on makes us Bad Hombres

That....is a really good point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

This. If we're hitting the partisan ceiling, that means 40% of this country is racist and insane.

20%. Not everyone votes, that is only the percent of the *voting* population.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm willing to assume the worst about nonvoters as well.

The worst thing they could do is try to make Donald Trump President, and they aren't, so I don't know why you'd do that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

You're talking about a population of people that made up 40% of the approval rating for Trump's political performance. Even if only half of them show up on election day, they're still helping to support and perpetuate rampant fascist and bigoted ideals in their communities.

If half of them show up at election day, that's less than 10% of the population. If you didn't know that perhaps 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 of Americans were seriously loving terrible human beings, well, I wish I lived in your cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

I'm not really sure where any of these stats are coming from anymore. You have successfully argued me out of this conversation because I cannot validate any of these points you're making and cannot continue.

......so you know literally nothing about voting in this country?

Here's a quick run down: There are 3 numbers to keep in mind. There is the population of the country, which is about 318 million. Then there is the VAP, voting age population, which is about 240-ish million. Then there is the percent of the country that is eligible and that actually loving votes. Which is about 60%, going as low as perhaps 40 to 30% for midterms. Nobody shows up for midterms. When someone says that Donald Trump has "40% of the vote", it's saying he has a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the country. He has 40% of the 60% of the 80% of the country that can even be in the conversation. And that is his ceiling at this point, not his floor. That is the best case if all those people are Trump die hards. And they aren't, they really really aren't. When you get down to it, he has a few tens of millions of people out of 318 million that are actually terrible human beings.

• Locked thread