Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

Continued from the previous thread:

I asked PJ about this. Seeing as she's reliably predicted the arc of the election over and over again I thought I'd ask her what she thought a Trump loss would look like. When I asked her this was her prediction:

To me, a trained political scientist, this is a hard pill to swallow. The only thing that gets me to accept this as a possibility is that PJ has been reliably correct over and over again. I had no idea where this election was going or why it got where it was for months. We'd all just arrive at bizarre outcomes over and over again and the only person who I've found (so far and so far in the past) who has predicted the election with any degree of sustained accuracy has been PJ. I went back and read some of her earlier predictions. It seemed crazy at the time. The above seems crazy to me now, but not out of the question like I thought just a few months ago.

It's my belief that Trump is a mentally ill person who believes his own bullshit and has ridden a political wave to where he is now. If I accept PJ's prediction as true then enough crazy people are going to listen to Trump that if/when he loses that there are going to be sporadic acts of right wing terrorism. My original prediction was that time would be the greatest limiting factor as we're now just shy of a month away. While that might not mean a Mondale wipeout, him acting like a crazy person and inciting his followers to violence doesn't have such a strict time limit on it as people are still going to listen to him, though the remaining ones are going to grow increasingly angry and disconnected from reality as each event of violence leaves fewer and fewer of them.

The reason why I think it'll fizzle out in the end is that like TapTheForwardAssist said, people are mostly comfortable right now. They're going to be angry, but only the craziest true believers will do anything about it. The rest will just talk poo poo.

If all of this happens as laid out though it means we're heading for a political realignment. Trump is the result (some may say end result, but I'm not convinced) of the GOP and the right feeding their voters a steady diet of fear, hate and paranoia for generations. Most politicians never believed this. Those that did were outliers. But their voters did, or at least enough of them. Dogwhistle racism is not only a way to be racist without being called one, but dogwhistling is also a training tool. It helps prepare for actual commands. Trump went from dogwhistle racism to actual racism and his followers are eating it up because "he tells it like it is" and "isn't afraid to be politically incorrect".

My only hope is that if PJ is correct, that it goes further, smashes the GOP and we can have a total realignment. The GOP in a few years becomes a party that I could see myself voting for because they're no longer racist, sexist, homophobic, wealth hording or bedroom invading. Maybe they're a little lovely, but I'd no longer be trapped voting for democrats because they're not totally incompetent and abusive.

Plenty of people who have knowledge of the modern GOP, their base, and Trump have predicted how this election cycle would go. It shouldn't surprise anyone who isn't delusional. PJ, for whatever reason, is just taken more seriously than anyone else.

I believe Chris Hedges even has a couple articles from years ago predicting someone like Trump coming along. I really like PJ's posts but let's not pretend she's the only one who's been predicting Trump and what would happen this cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. I wasn't saying PJ is the only one, I just said she was the only one who I read who'd been predicting events with anything approaching accuracy. When I really started really paying attention people in the media had given up proclaiming the end of his political career after they were wrong half a dozen times.

If you have those articles to share I'd be appreciative though. Could you provide a link please?

I will have to search for the articles I was talking about but here is a newer one that speaks to the same things PJ writes about : http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_revenge_of_the_lower_classes_and_the_rise_of_american_fascism_20160302

He quotes a book that talks about out current mileu:

Richard Rorty in his last book, “Achieving Our Country,” written in 1998 posted:

Many writers on socioeconomic policy have warned that the old industrialized democracies are heading into a Weimar-like period, one in which populist movements are likely to overturn constitutional governments. Edward Luttwak, for example, has suggested that fascism may be the American future. The point of his book The Endangered American Dream is that members of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white-collar workers—themselves desperately afraid of being downsized—are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for—someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots. A scenario like that of Sinclair Lewis’ novel It Can’t Happen Here may then be played out. For once a strongman takes office, nobody can predict what will happen. In 1932, most of the predictions made about what would happen if Hindenburg named Hitler chancellor were wildly overoptimistic.

One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion. The words “friend of the family” and “kike” will once again be heard in the workplace. All the sadism which the academic Left has tried to make unacceptable to its students will come flooding back. All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 1, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thanks buddy. I'll give it a read. :)

Cool. I may have to read the book he quotes in that article because it sounds like he is describing the present word for word, from 1998.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, the article itself sounds almost gleeful about this rise of Facism. That's weird, isn't it?

Chris Hedges has been saying this stuff for a long time, and people usually write him off as a depressing joke, and here we are living in his reality. I would say it's more snark than glee. Who knows.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Watching it now. He's reading, poorly, from a prompter. :sad:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad that, when this is all over, Trump will have served as the sin eater, making the GOP look amazing by comparison, when they're just as vile. The downside of this is hearing GOP shills on MSNBC, right now, making claims to legitimacy and moral superiority while having supported policies that hurt women and families on a scale Trump could never hope to.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, I am pretty happy the fascist isn't going to win an election for the most powerful position on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, it's great. I am mainlining schadenfreude. I was just hoping the GOP would crumble with him, or begin to, but it looks like they're jumping ship and using this as an opportunity to make claims to moral superiority and legitimacy. This particular fascist may be broken but the GOP is the party of fascists.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

that makes your reaction even worse fyi

Actually, given the amount of astroturfed political bullshit out there, and the amount of rape accusations against Bill Clinton, which I have to assume a lot of posters here believe are false, my reaction is pretty appropriate considering the information I thought I had available to me.

But I won't get in the way of you showing off how much of an ally your are or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish by jumping on someone you don't loving know.

I'm done now. Dogpile and virtue signal in peace, friends.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I'm amazed that you think your opinion is so worthy that you couldn't bother to take two whole minutes of your day to actually watch the entire video before vomiting out your scalding take.

Why would I watch the entirety of something that I assumed was Trump propaganda - SINCE IT WAS SAID /r/the_donald and 4CHAN WERE SPREADING IT?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

lozzle posted:

Probably because you said something truly deplorable you piece of poo poo.

I guess you guys can't understand how misinterpreting the context of something can affect the way you see the content.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 10, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/09/california-primary-trump-rhetoric-school-bully

quote:

'You were born in a Taco Bell': Trump's rhetoric fuels school bullies across US

quote:

That has not stopped some children from channeling and adopting the Republican presumptive nominee’s xenophobic rhetoric in playground spats and classroom exchanges.

“They said things like ‘you’ll get deported’, ‘you weren’t born here’ and ‘you were born in a Taco Bell’,” said Iglehart, 49. “They may not know exactly what it means, but they know it’s powerful language.”

Hearing it in Rosa Parks elementary, of all places, came as a shock. “Berkeley is not an area where there are Trump supporters. This is not the land of Trump.”

quote:

More than two-thirds of the teachers in the survey reported that students – especially immigrants, children of immigrants and Muslims – have expressed worries about what might happen to them or their families after the November election. More than half reported an increase in uncivil political discourse, and more than a third observed an increase in anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant sentiment.

quote:

A North Carolina high school teacher reported having Latino students who carry birth certificates and social security cards to school because they fear deportation. A Tennessee kindergarten teacher said a Latino pupil, told by classmates he will be deported and trapped behind a wall, asks every day: “Is the wall here yet?”

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

FACT: Kids were never racist before Trump. *

(* Not really a fact.)

They were, but now they're being given obvious validation and encouragement to be, by a presidential candidate.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

beck knows the only way to save his rapidly dying fleecing operation is to keep the rubes angry

having someone to direct their anger at is the only thing keeping a lot of those people going

Judging by the content on his website, it's fake - http://www.glennbeck.com/2016/10/10...mpaign=homepage

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

America.

Arzying Dad Update: Now that he can't realistically worry about the election, his latest thing is buying into the speculation that Trump, Breitbart, and The Deplorables will try to form a third party with some sort of media empire. Poor, poor guy just can't stop pearl-clutching.

You don't think that'll be plan b?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

He'll try, maybe, but he'll gently caress it up because he's Trump and he's actually a massive idiot.

Probably, but he might just delegate to the Breitbart folks and just make money and star in some shows. Apprentice was on for a long time. Originally I thought his run was just a ploy to have a jumping off point for the Sarah Palin Network 2

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The llamas are on the loose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZhfJkBjxc

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

I'm really glad we're past the 'but what if Trump is a genius political operative' point of things.

Doesn't take a genius to start a TV network. Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin did it, to varying success.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js19h1GW32o

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

It's weird as gently caress to see it show up in this thread as a pejorative lately, though. I don't think anyone who posts regularly here is even close to being a Stalinist.

Tankie is the new BernieBro. A pejorative leveraged at those not neoliberal enough.

It will go by the wayside after the election as we return to our regularly scheduled gnashing of teeth at Democratic capitulation, compromise, deal-making, grand-bargaining, and so on.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GalacticAcid posted:

Nah it's usually used pretty acutely for people who either 1) are apologists for the Soviet Union, 2) express support for the "Bolivarian Revolution(s)" of 2000s South America, 3) express support or unconditional recognition of the Syrian government, 4) Express solidarity with Castro and the Cuban government or 5) (this is a rare one) support the DPRK.

It is weird seeing it here though since usually it's a Trot thing to say.

I was referring explicitly to how it is used here.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cheese posted:

Hillary is a goldmine for congressional Republicans - a Trump presidency has too many risks attached to it.

Also, Trump has served as the sin-eater. By un-endorsing trump they can trick the electorate into allowing them to absolve themselves of their sins over the past eight years, and return to subtle racism, sexism and attendant dogwhistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Ray posted:

Why do you think the lovely people will go away as time goes on.

Because people on this forum believe "the deplorables" are all old, because they live in a bubble.

• Locked thread