Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

NikkolasKing posted:

I think she has no principles because she got us involved in a ton of horrible poo poo that killed people. Not just Iraq but Libya. NYTimes said she was the main proponent for intervention there that seems to have led to a chaotic "failed state."

Also my next point is connected with this:

It's not all just typical Right Wing bullshit. There are plenty of liberals out there who absolutely hate her. Liberals who have actually argued that Hillary never cared about gays or transgender people until it was convenient to support them. Maybe I bought into that and it was all propaganda. but those are the most important domestic issues to me since I see the kind of poo poo some of my friends have to put up with and that whole transgender bathrooms crap pisses me off.

Maybe she has just simply changed her mind over the years.. But I am that cynical "they're all just liars and cheats" type of person. This would be the first election I voted for in my entire life. I've done the best I can to research stuff.

But man this thread moves so fast, way faster than any other thread I ever post on in here. Sorry if I missed anything.

So.... vote against the candidate who will respect and enshrine your friends' rights and privileges (as one among many policy planks that can at absolute bare minimum be summed up as Sanity and Continuity: The Platform) because you're... offended on their behalf that she is merely a totally adequate rather than vociferous or pioneering benefactor? Really? Have you asked your friends how they feel this strategy is benefiting them?

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

cult member at airport posted:

Gary Johnson won't name leader of North Korea

Jesus Christ, Gary :ughh:.

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he refused to name NK's leader as a protest to gotcha questioning...did he really not predict that it would lead to this sort of headline?

Gary Johnson is actually an NK manchurian candidate and giving the only acceptable juche answer--NK is led forever into glory by Eternal President Kim-Il Sung--would have revealed this, so he had to keep mum :tinfoil:

e: The Johnson had initially wanted to join Trump on the covert Russian gravy train but Putin wasn't biting so he had to shop a little down-market, which, hey, hand of the free market, right?

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 6, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I've always also had a general creeping suspicion that a victorious Sanders would mean some really ugly internecine shankings in the Democratic organization and all the associated loss of organizational effectiveness that entails--is this at all justified, or is it part of the berniebro libel?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Maybe we should follow in the footsteps of your political hero and sic literal dogs on you next time.

But those dogs were very principled, and you just have to respect principles.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Yes. Especially any who happen to also be hispanic.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

NikkolasKing you do get that this election will have actual, real consequences beyond the specific aesthetic typology of the suit who sits in the big chair for the TV cameras, right? Like, I'm sorry to be flippant, but your posting really doesn't indicate that this possibility has really breached your reality sphere other than "my gay friends might be more uncomfortable somehow (???)."

The New Yorker recently did a writeup of what the early phase of a Trump presidency might reasonably be expected to look like. You should read it.

The New Yorker posted:

Trump aides are organizing what one Republican close to the campaign calls the First Day Project. “Trump spends several hours signing papers—and erases the Obama Presidency,” he said. Stephen Moore, an official campaign adviser who is a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation, explained, “We want to identify maybe twenty-five executive orders that Trump could sign literally the first day in office.”

[...]

That is partly exaggeration; rescinding an order that is beyond the “rulemaking” stage can take a year or more. But signing executive orders starts the process, and Trump’s advisers are weighing several options for the First Day Project: He can renounce the Paris Agreement on greenhouse-gas emissions, much as George W. Bush, in 2002, “unsigned” American support for the International Criminal Court. He can re-start exploration of the Keystone pipeline, suspend the Syrian refugee program, and direct the Commerce Department to bring trade cases against China. Or, to loosen restrictions on gun purchases, he can relax background checks.

But those are secondary issues; whatever else Trump would do on January 20th, he would begin with a step (“my first hour in office”) to fulfill his central promise of radical change in American immigration. “Anyone who has entered the United States illegally is subject to deportation,” he told a crowd in Phoenix in August.

[...]

Julie Myers Wood, who headed Immigration and Customs Enforcement during the Bush Administration, told me that she is appalled by parts of Trump’s immigration plan and cautioned critics not to assume that it is impossible. “It’s not as binary as some people suggest,” she said. “You could think of some very outside-the-box options.” A President Trump could permit ice officers to get access to I.R.S. files that contain home addresses. (Undocumented immigrants who pay taxes often list real addresses, in order to receive tax-refund checks.) He could invoke provision 287(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, in order to detail thousands of local and state agents and police officers to the deportation effort. “You’d put people on a train,” she said. “Again, I’m not recommending this. You could have a cruise ship.”

E: A fun little detail from that article is that Michael Chertoff privately counsels young republicans that joining a theoretical Trump Administration would be highly morally compromising.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 6, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I grew up across the street from a convent/retirement home that was also the local polling place, and voted for Clinton's reelection when I was four by coloring in his face and not Dole's or Perot's. I lived in vague, faint terror of the nuns because I think I assumed their role in the senescence process had to be fairly sinister.

Also I watched 9/11 on an 80s hi-fi front-projection CRT TV (this kinda deal) my elementary school had relegated as far as the dingiest corner of the gym but couldn't quite muster up the willpower to finally dispose of (those things weigh more than Trump, lol). It was in that corner all five years I was there; the only time it was ever turned on was for 9/11. Just added to the weirdo unrealness of that whole event.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The point is that in the event of Sanders's victory stuff like that could potentially become a huge and heavy anchor no-true-scotsmanning the Bernie base down. It's a powerful, convenient vector of attack on both his persnickety-outsider-grandpa image and ideological credentials.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 6, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/ejmaron/status/759519052016459776

You probably shouldn't throw shade for the hell of it.

I edited that out of my post before you even quoted me lol

But yes one should always scroll down for a little more context before hitting the quote button while catching up on months-old picture thread posts, lesson learned.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lightning Knight posted:

gentrification

If you want to put a face on what is admittedly a fairly diffuse problem, the documentary BOOM: The Sound of Eviction, about the politics of housing and development in dotcom era San Francisco, is considered to be a pretty good study. It's on youtube starting here.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lightning Knight posted:

Jazz doesn't suck. It's just kind of dull and puts me to sleep.

I'm pretty sure it's Zora Neale Hurston who has a short story where she sends the protagonist to a jazz club where they spend pages exulting in vivid, exuberant language how passionately animated the rhythm makes them feel, then they look over and see a table of white hipsters sitting nodding along awkwardly and the protagonist is just :staredog: :allears:

e: In other news, terrorist clowns threaten schools; prompt campus anti-clown posses.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

exploding mummy posted:

We can only hope some random rear end in a top hat wrecks him

this, but about the NASCAR

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just remember, we still have 4 more weekends after this one so if the Clinton camp were the ones that provided the post with this that means they considered this only the 4-5th worst thing they have on him.

It's the traditional Trumpmas advent calendar :allears:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Alucardd posted:

Um I think Dana has the DEFCON numbers reversed.

In this instance doesn't the error really just render her tweet more correct though?

Paul Ryan still has the sexual assault bill tweet up at the top of his twitter feed :allears:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 8, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

berserker posted:

BREAKING: Melania Trump statement on Trump leak

:golfclap:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Happy 20th birthday, Fox News Channel. :allears:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

No, Clinton legitimately hosed up and praised her for raising AIDS awareness which is actually completely loving wrong. That was one of Clinton's few real screw ups this election.

Unless it was a deliberate blunder undertaken as the most expedient way to inject Nancy Reagan's dirty laundry into her own funeral coverage as a must-discuss point, because Hilldawg cares more about destroying the legacy of republicanism than her own ego...

But probably that first thing.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Prester Jane just posted her thoughts on the trump tape to the Decoding Authoritarians thread, for interested people.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Dork457 posted:

I really love between Springer and Stern who wore the title of bastions of filth all throughout the 90s are now uniquely poised to just show how much of a true creep Donald really is. It's like some great vindication for them in the mainstream.

Springer was also a reasonably liked big-city mayor, so he's a far more competent political mind than Trump on top of everything else

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tagichatn posted:

Wth is a fervence.

Let's break it down and think about the root word. Can you think of any other words you know that sound similar, or have the same beginning?

Come on, you can do it, I believe in you :shobon:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:getin:

Or more accurately :frogout: of politics you primped-up intellectually bankrupt scarecrow-looking fucker

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:vince:

30 or so hours until he walks onstage for the second debate...

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 8, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Dinochat can't be put to bed without at least one link to Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs, the internet's best/only scientifically obsolete dinosaur art review blog.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 9, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Our dino derail is almost certainly a better and more productive use of brainpower and time re: being prepared for the debate tomorrow than whatever Trump is doing right now, I guarantee it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

2 Police Officers Fatally Shot in Palm Springs, Calif.

The New York Times posted:

The police in Palm Springs, Calif., are mourning two officers who were shot and killed on Saturday while responding to a call about a domestic disturbance. One of the victims was a young mother and the other a veteran months away from retirement.

:smith:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 9, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

ImpAtom posted:

You know, a thing nobody mentions but was the most bizarre moment of the night to me:

Trump's weird... loving... like "Why didn't you do the role of a president as Senator, Hillary Clinton?!" thing. Where he kept insisting that if she was an 'effective senator' should would have... taken over the country?

It's the Ur-Fascism thing where your enemies must simultaneously be portrayed as pitiful, meek incompetents and peerless, powerful masterminds.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2BNbmZSIFM

Shep :unsmith:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe if they set up reasonably close to a big city as a kind of large scale "historical" farm. Over here in Britain we have places like IronBridge that are set up like they were in the victorian era, maybe they could do something similar for early 2000's farming?

Hmm, we'll need a name for these farms though, something catchy....

Well, a cute word for small rural settlement is 'hamlet,' that sounds cool and enticing, let's go with it.
But we need people to know that these hamlets are well-siited, close to city services but far enough away to feel rural... one could say they are strategically placed even.

'Strategic hamlets,' then. I like it, really rolls off the tongue :downs:

similar to mass internal displacement, any plan that calls for putting people into a zoo is a loving terrible plan

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:stare: Holy poo poo, the entire trump campaign has been a desperate, wild immunity play from the very beginning, hasn't it?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

When will Hillary Clinton release the contents her cat gif folder? This is just another case of Crooked Hillary thinking her power lets her keep secrets from the American people. #ClintonCats #CrookedHillary #2016 #InternationalFelionistConspiracy

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Svaha posted:

The result of freedom is that some people will make poor choices. You guys seem to be all about freedom until it comes to voting booth.

No system is perfect and I'm not going to claim that mine is, or to occupy some moral high ground. I do think it's important that Americans realize how terrible and restrictive their system actually is.

--Citizen of country where authority to call elections still rests with crown appointee

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Dogwood Fleet posted:

:doh: Yes I meant McMullin.

This is mostly an exercise in not feeling embarrassed about voting Stein or Johnson.

While I am sure either Joe or Jim McDermott would appreciate the sentiment of a write-in protest vote, both are local (unrelated) Seattle politicians not seeking office, one having just retired and the other having taken third place in the primary to replace him.

Incidentally, I just returned from a campaign event with the victor of that primary, Pramila Jayapal, and :bern101:. A not unsizeable or unquiet Stein delegation was in attendance as well. :v: Jayapal actually got booed for praising and identifying with Hillary's motherhood (the most positive thing directly said about her by anyone all night) though for the most part the crowd was happy and the specter of :abuela: a distant one.

Bern was in pretty good form though there was a noticeable missed beat when he said progressives/his supporters aren't entitled to think of themselves as courageous or outspoken for being progressive/supporting him, to make the rhetorical point that Trumpsters go more against the grain of society by not having a shred of decency or empathy.

And there is no way to avoid embarrassment for a Stein vote, sorry.

disjoe posted:

Counterpoint: Star Wars EU gave us Mofference

come on you can't mention it and not post it

:allears:

Oh, and Planned Parenthood turns 100 today!

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

ecureuilmatrix posted:

You mean to tell me this isn't an image of the RNCC?

Trioculus/Hissa 2016: more competent, hardly more evil than Trump/Pence.

Well Grand Moff Ch'h'hris Ch'h'hris-tee does appear to be seated center left...

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

cult member at airport posted:

On the bright side, I'm feeling confident McRory will be out in NC. The Charlotte Observer broke their 25 year streak of endorsing him.

Charlotte Observer posted:

McCrory’s term as North Carolina governor is the ultimate illustration of the Peter Principle: that people are promoted based on their past performance and not the abilities needed for the new role and thus rise to the level of their incompetence. McCrory has certainly done that.
[...]
McCrory had a notable career in public service. But he has climbed the ladder beyond his abilities. It is time for him to come home.

haha, drat.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 16, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

TheLoquid posted:

It's v important to note that that one guy has blaster earrings.

I want to believe that the vast majority of trumpists are too fat and lazy for any kind of insurgwncy, but the idea of post electoral violence is nightmarish. I don't see what Clinton can do to keep us from careening towards a constitutional crisis.

Functional blaster earrings. And the moffrence is taking place in an illegal whale poaching base that's also right next to the submerged bit of Death Star wreckage that Vader's severed hand and glove got carried away into space on in the explosion, which they need to boost the three-eyed dude's latent force abilities so that he can pretend to be a different three-eyed dude who's a preternaturally good weapons designer but also a pacifist (and the Emperor's secret bastard child). Half the dudes in the meeting later get killed by a robot clone of Princess Leia with laser eyes.

And people say this is the bad part of the EU. :rolleyes:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

If he loses Don Jr will take it as the signal that the old man has finally lost his nerve and it's time to go Lannister on him.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Josef bugman posted:

Didn't Umberto Eco say that Facism isn't neccesarily even an ideology? It's more a grab bag of different terrible ideas cobbled together to make a terrible minority disenfranchising machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_O822pBg_w

Essentially, yes.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

What do we even need an asteroid-load of copper for? What would we do with it? Is the suggestion purely that getting it from space would somehow be cheaper/more efficient than mining or recycling terrestrial copper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Kilroy posted:

You're not wrong, Lightning Knight, but I guess I just sort of assumed that we all agreed that a society that is letting billions of people rot in poverty is, aside from being morally corrupt, also making inefficient use of human resources and therefore not devoting itself to scientific pursuits to the extent it otherwise could. I don't think there is a way to do science where you both stick most of your people in favelas to die, and you get more done than a society where those people are also doing good science work. But, obviously, if the optimal strategy for doing scientific research does involve sticking people in favelas for no reason, then we shouldn't do it.

Wouldn't that basically be Tsarist Russia? Literal feudal serfdom supporting a modernized imperial system that included some pretty premier universities.

• Locked thread