Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Huh, I knew about the corncob tweet but I thought that was referencing something itself and not a spontaneous random phrase.

Anything super-critical happen in the last 100 pages of September? I got behind and could never catch up, so I checked the debate coverage and the day after then gave up.

Excited about Zika funding, since I live in the swamps it's currently festering in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Crow Jane posted:

Back when I waited tables, people would sometimes leave them in the check presenters after they paid their tab. Sometimes with a tip included (tucked inside the tract so you'd have to at least open it, and of course it was always a lovely tip), sometimes the tract itself was the tip.

They were generally just mocked and discarded

Family of five that goes to your church and you see every sunday? Takes a bunch of your time and leaves you a handful of those 'gently caress you' notes instead of a real tip? Yeah, it's made waitresses break down crying before.

It's been going on for a while, and happens often enough that I can't find the old story about it that pissed me off. What I remember about it is the most devastating thing about it to her was people she knew from her church treated her as an un-person who needed to be saved. It's a supremely ~christian~ thing to do, so naturally you see it a lot in evangelical areas.

http://pix11.com/2016/01/11/waiter-furious-after-discovering-20-tip-was-actually-a-disguised-religious-message/

Along with poo poo like this:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/10/19/here-tip-south-carolina-waitress-alleges-couple-admonished-her-for-working/

Naturally, I couldn't let this one go by without the moneyshot:

“So instead of coming to your 'job' and looking for handouts to feed your family, how's about going home and cleaning your house and cooking a hot meal for your husband and children, the way your husband and God intended, and help make America great again. Praying for families and our nation.”

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

SimonCat posted:

So awesome she wants to declare a no-fly zone over Syria, with no plan on what to do when the Russians violate it.

This is the stupidest thing. Yes, a no-fly zone would be a good thing. Yes, she should propose it as a way to try to stabilize Syria. Yes, Putin will say 'gently caress off' and continue to be a comicbook villain. The fact that this is what will happen doesn't mean it isn't a good idea and shouldn't be attempted.

Russia will never "violate" it because they'll veto it on the security council.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

This is the stupidest thing. Yes, a no-fly zone would be a good thing. Yes, she should propose it as a way to try to stabilize Syria. Yes, Putin will say 'gently caress off' and continue to be a comicbook villain. The fact that this is what will happen doesn't mean it isn't a good idea and shouldn't be attempted.

Russia will never "violate" it because they'll veto it on the security council.

Expanding for the new page - basically the most we can do now that Russia has their dick firmly lodged in Assad is pressure and shame them. For the same reason exactly jack and poo poo could be done to prevent them from annexing crimea. The actual problem here is more fundamental: What the gently caress do you do when a nuclear power starts getting expansionist?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Non Serviam posted:

You cannot shame Vladimir.

Which leaves economic pressure, that Europe has already tried and they've tried to ignore (so far). It's painful, but not to the people who matter, so it hasn't really slowed them down.

remusclaw posted:

Engage in cold war, duh.

Everything old is new again. I'm old enough to remember the end of the last one, not looking forward to round two.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Scent of Worf posted:

Lol @ thinking more than a tiny minority of republicans actually give a poo poo economic policy. Republicans nowadays vote R to combat illegal immigration, muslims and fever pitch dream liberal elite agendas

You have to distinguish between republican backers and republican voters, they want vastly different things. The candidates are mixed between the two groups lately.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Grouchio posted:

Are we waiting for Midnight pacific for the new thread? Or Alaskan?

They happen when they happen. I think cosmonaut said he was going to drop it pacific time.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

BaDandy posted:

Yeah that actually made me giggle. Jill "Really Really Into Crystals Probably" Stein and Gary "DID NOT KNOW WHAT ALEPPO IS" Johnson.

I just cought up on Oliver's last few shows and I had to laugh at the serious segment dedicated to Gary & Jill.

I just wish he covered thread favorite Vermin Supreme, or perhaps newcomer to presidential races "Deez Nuts", but it was refreshing to hear from relative outsider "Mr Exotic." and his tiger sanctuary.

More seriously, it was good that he shredded their complete lack of actual policy or ability to come up with coherent proposals. How the gently caress did Johnson run a state? He didn't seem capable of managing a hotdog cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Mulva posted:

It's done something just as good, it's sped them up. Economic and diplomatic pressure *are* hurting Russia, badly, and their imperialistic bullshit and election tomfuckery are an attempt to look big in the face of that. The thing is, none of it is working out very well for them in the sense of making Russia more secure and prosperous. And the sanctions and diplomatic pressure continue to gently caress them in ways great or small. Indeed, all their screwing around is likely to increase the sanctions and diplomatic pressure. People think of conflict as jets and tanks and no fly zones and rah rah bullshit, when the truth of the matter is the real conflict with Russia is effectively going to be aggressive accounting and tariffs and blocking trade deals. And we'll devastate them doing it.

It just doesn't make for sexy press releases. Or even emotionally satisfaction really, which is where the danger comes. People thinking we aren't doing anything, or aren't doing enough, and wanting to escalate. It's hard to have the patience to know what we are doing is exactly the most damaging thing to do to Russia.

I agree with that, but it's not (immediately, obviously) successful in the sense that it gets them to back down - they're going to flail and lash out even harder before they finally stop. Thats why my original post was something like: Hillary will propose a no-fly over syria, either directly to Russia or via the UN. Either way, it will be rejected. Expanding on that, the obvious next step is to go to European leaders, point at the refugee crisis and Russia making it worse, and get them to tighten the sanctions. That's not hawkishness or being a warmonger, it's diplomacy. It's not as satisfying to some as "Do this or else you'll be finding out what the only real military on the planet is capable of", but it's good policy.

Maybe she'll actually have a hawkish policy somewhere where a nuclear power isn't already involved, but that's not Syria.

Edit: I'm posting too fast. Edits in italics.

Harik fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 1, 2016

• Locked thread