Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If you havent already, head on down to GiP where there is plenty of advice and tips to be had.

With your degree I hope you went Officer, if not then keep the end in sight.

E: November better be Prester Jane vindication month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone want to sum up the last 17 pages? Hit the highlights?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Clinton said smart and empathetic things about Sanders supporters that they tried to spin into insults and NYT leaked Trump's tax returns and they real bad

Oh my god.

Have any trumpeets hit the twitter-sphere yet?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Everything is amazing.

I'm going to bed, when I wake up I expect some DT tweets

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
People like Giuliani and Trump and this campaign in general are exactly why I put very little stock into people who claim to principle and morals.

Morals are so completely malleable.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

And Known Turtle Man, Mitch McConnell, last week after overriding the Saudi Arabia veto "uh, maybe Obama vetoed it for a good reason.... I hadn't thought of that..."

Shortsightedness is a feature, not a bug.

Wait whatd the bad man say?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Haha holy poo poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

metachronos posted:

Too bad it's always lovely Kenny Chesney concerts and other bro-country. Do you live in GB? Glad I'm not the only politigoon around here.

Seriously. What the gently caress is up with Wisconsin's weird obsession for lovely country music? It even pervades Milwaukee.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Someone mentioned TYT so I thought it prudent to mention that they can go gently caress themselves. Smug liberal commentors are the loving worst. Then Bernie happened and TYT decided to self-immolate.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nachos posted:

Every newspaper can print "GRAB THEM BY THE PUSSY" tomorrow and if anyone is offended welp it's coming from one of the two people who can become president

That's what a responsible news organization would do.

I bet I know what's not going to happen.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeeMajors posted:

Trump is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Some day I'm going to get to describe the election cycle of 2016 to an entirely disbelieving young adult.

It'll mark a good day.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Gonna be great when Trump brings up Bill on Sunday

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Artificer posted:

What in this analogy would be the Clinton Cavalry running people down?

Hopefully a bunch of Senators and Congressman

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It'd be pretty amazing if Trump ended up going to jail as a result of his decision to run for the presidency.

A man can dream....

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

Also, HBO seems to be releasing all their Sunday shows early. I think they figure no one is going to be interested in watching anything other than the debate and have just cut their losses ratings-wise

Yeah, Westworld is pretty awesome.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Sent in my ballot.

+1 in Wisconsin

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guys, I'm torn.

The Packers play at 730 CST, the debate starts at 8 CST.

Where can I watch the debate replay?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As the stroke of 11 draws near and the excitement of the night winds down; the attendees, staff, and questioners in that overcrowded, blue-walled and star-spangled stage in St. Louis await in stunned silence. On the dais before them sits the two figures of their rapt attention. The night had seen some inspiring highs and some depressing lows, but no one could have girded themselves for this. The suffocating silence, punctuated only by the heavy, raspy breaths of the Donald. Disheveled, sweating, and tired-looking, Donald Trump appears unsteady and barely able to hold himself up at his chair; seemingly spent from the tirade he had unleashed only moments ago in his closing statement. A statement that would forever live in the minds of those who bore witness and replayed every four years for the next four decades. Anderson Cooper, a man normally so smooth and sure, appears confused on how to proceed as he glances furtively towards his producer for a cue. Abruptly, the silence is penetrated by a woman clearing her throat into the microphone pinned to her lapel. Hillary Clinton, unblinking and with a look of utter contempt upon her brow, calmly and deliberately utters the words as she glares at Donald Trump.

"Nice. Meltdown."

The Donald is dead.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 10, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm honestly just burned out from this election. I sent in my ballot and now I'm just awaiting the inevitable Trump implosion in November. He's done and it's over barring some massive Hillary gently caress-up the likes only the Detroit Lions could imagine. The question is really how much of the party does he take with him.

But I just don't care all that much to follow the day to day anymore. That debate last night broke me. Trump broke every unwritten rule in US politics last night and norms for decorum on stage and on the trail have long since gone out the window.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 11, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BlueBlazer posted:

Bring it :toxx: Hillary, otherwise I have join the Trump Black shirts and that isn't going to be pretty. I'm pretty sure Fascism is a bad thing.

How brave of you :rolleyes:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

straight up brolic posted:

Voting 3rd Party is based off the calculus that you can afford to cast a protest vote so that you can tell your friends, family and coworkers about it for the next month as though it was a virtuous act and not you edging the Democratic system.

You're basically counting on the people who can't afford to be as loving smug and entitled as you--the women, minorities, and marginalized, who Trump represents a threat to the continued existence of--to do the heavy lifting of democracy so that you can Facebook thinly veiled messages about your unique ideas about how the system is broken and we need real leftist government.

Holy poo poo I want this in the OP

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and let you all know that the battle to retake Mosul has kicked off, that ISIS may lose all of its Iraqi territory by January, and you're kind of being a bunch of asshats

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 17, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i75ElGhwGTw

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I was wrong, thought it was much later than it was.

The content of the stimulus did what it was meant to, in that it stopped the hemorrhaging of jobs. But it was a chance to have a 'New Deal'-esque package of legislation, which wasn't what anyone was interested in.

Haha shut the gently caress up dude.

If you recall (you don't), that stimulus package began as largely investment and assistance for the middle class and was fought tooth and nail for and in the end it only passed the way it did because more than a third of it was tax breaks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My favorite part of that is that it uses the loving USC/LA Times tracking poll which has a known R bias and it still doesn't look good. Even before applying random fun lines.

'Head fake' indeed, general.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I am having a really difficult time imagining what kind of result comes from a world in which Texas turned blue in 2016. Like, does the GOP somehow strengthen? Does it explode and fragment into raging militias and white men?

Either way, I am sure a sikh man gets beaten for being an a-rab

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know what the impact of a cycle like this is over the long-term?

Like. I have to imagine that Arizona, Texas, Georgia, all registering D's and voting in this cycle is going to drive long-term gains as more people are now registered, have bought in, etc.. etc...

Donald Trump may have very well accelerated the demise of the modern GOP just by being himself if there is any statistically significant relation between this cycle and upcoming ones.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Theoretically it could be a hastening of the Republican Demographic Apocalypses. But since Donny is the standard bearer of the Republicans it's really hard to tell and most likely it doesn't transfer at all. Maybe post President Obama can inspire Democrats to turn out for midterms, but probably not and we'll have to wait and see just how close to their groin the Republicans decide to shoot themselves in 2020.

The Hispanic vote is usually underrepresented in polls, especially polls that are English only. This plays a big role in every single Nevada cycle looking real bad for the Democrats and then it turning out they were OK the whole time. Likely voter screens are most likely going to be getting a thorough post election examination, because a lot of assumptions that seem to be being made are odd considering the current climate.

I don't know man. African Americans are the most staunch Democratic demographic precisely because of poo poo like this. LBJ basically saw to that. It makes sense that an entire voting generation have become Democrats due to this election and we already know that D voter registration is way up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

LA Times/PSC has to realize their polling method is terrible. If Clinton wins by 6+ points with their final poll showing a Trump lead I hope every pollster and politic-covering media outlet in the country just makes fun of them forever.

What? It's actually been a pretty effective bellwether and is a totally legit form of polling

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

If you read that, you'll note one important thing: the weights and sample don't change.

Do you realize why that's important? It's not an effective predictor of the population because of it's weighting issues, but it IS an effective predictor of changing opinions. Also it's fascinating to me that a writer for Upshot completely had that go over their head.

BiohazrD posted:

Counterpoint:

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/10/19/the-virtues-of-the-l-a-times-poll/

It works for controlling a very particular variable, respondent bias. It's still not a great poll to use for predicting the national outcome, but it's better for figuring out how people are shifting.

Yeah, this.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 19, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I didn't see this mentioned, but the SS cap was raised about $9,000 starting next year - not sure what that does the solvency of the fund, but it can't hurt.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Chris Wallace's pocket square looks more like a pocket blob.

Pocket squares are hard man

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yo.

You know how Donald Trump didn't completely implode during the second debate and every thought he did decent [low standards]?

That's not happening this time.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He's talking about his career as a businessman?

Murder him H

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That was probably the best exchange in the entire cycle.

Like seriously, that was such a slam dunk.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, Chris Wallace has done during this debate what he's always done in interviews, even the one with Bill.

He's not openly biased and is willing to call bullshit but his questions are often leading or biased. I actually like Chris Wallace as a conservative journalist.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's bizarre.

It's not.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who is surprised by Chris Wallace has never watched Chris Wallace on Sundays.

Seriously, he was exactly like he has always has been.

Robert Plant posted:

Trump Jr on MSNBC lookin reeeeeal manic

Seriously, dude is rattled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kavak posted:

I :toxx:ed for Hillary gang tag me motherfuckers.

Real brave of you...

• Locked thread